Bankers Life Employee Reviews

Insurance Company/Financial Ser
Indiana Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 22, 2018
You are you own boss after training. Very difficult to build and retain clientele. I enjoyed working with this company. Had a friendly and knowledgeable field trainer as well as Sales Unit Manager. Co-workers willing to assist you if their schedule allowed. Was provided an agent care support line and in-house training. Had good times with this company. Taught you the ins and outs about the products being offered. Have to be focused if you want to be an successful agent.
Pros
Good Company to work for if you are an experienced Agent/Producer
Cons
Client calls are made from a provided list from company which is not always updated
Terrible
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 19, 2018
They say you work for yourself, however when you don't follow their schedule they get rid of you. The agents were great but management is terrible. Just be aware
Constantly changing production enviornment
Claims (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2018
If you don't make nice with your managers you won't advance. Period. There is a lack of communication and they want you at your desk head down in your work for the full 8 hours, barely having time to move around. The amount of work they want from you doesn't even really allow for a lunch break. They claim to want a work life balance but God forbid they actually allow you to use your work from home feature.
Pros
casual dress code
Cons
pay, management
100% commission with no help!
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 19, 2018
When you first start they have you drive out of town for training but don't pay for gas. You have to share a hotel room and the training is completely useless when you get to your main office. When you start at your office you may get a trainer to ride with but most likely you will be in the field with someone who just went through the training with you. It is a horrible place to work and the people only care about numbers. If you don't get the numbers they want you to have then you will be stressed to the max. Don't work for them!!!!!
Great Company
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEApril 15, 2018
Great company to work for if your looking to work unlimited hours in the beginning to get yourself starting in sales. Calling leads to get appointments was difficult and this is a commission based career!
Insurance Agent
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 13, 2018
Have to be a self starter.
Have to be very driven.
Got to travel EVERYWHERE.
HAVE to have a good in person pitch.
People you work with are fake an only care about money.
Your clients are never really yours. If you will yourself into management and get to run another branch you are unable to take them with you.
Poor value financial instruments.
Excellent company.
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FLApril 13, 2018
I don't know that I can say too much about Bankers because I was there for such a short time. My father was injured and became quadriplegic so I change my job in order to be able to better accommodate his new circumstances. I will say that I have nothing but good to say about how Bankers Life & Casualty treated me both before and after my father's accident. The people I worked with were all quality people and were always willing to help in any way they could.
I love my career
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2018
I have worked with Bankers Life for over 10 years. I also worked for other insurance companies in my career. I will never leave Bankers Life. I believe in what they do and how they do it. Bankers Life is commission only (no base salary). If you are a determined, hard working, passionate individual then you have an opportunity to become everything you've always dreamed about. Is it easy? No. Not normally. Everything in life worth having you have to work at. Bankers Life has given me the chance to make a difference in people's lives-both clients and mine. The feeling of success you get when you've truly helped someone is amazing.
Also lots of rewards- bonuses based on your production; trips; extra bonuses for achieving goals and recognition. If you are looking for something that allows you the ability to have work/life balance then Bankers is the place.
Pros
Paid for your hard work, bonuses, trips, recognition for achievements, working with people that become family
Cons
You must be a hard worker and determined to succeed.
Great Training
Insurance Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 11, 2018
Bankers Life & Casualty is a great place to cut your teeth in the insurance business, but no a place where you can make much money for all the time and effort you invest. Start here, but have an exit strategy
Very sressfull, extremely difficult to close sales , sink or swim.
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHApril 11, 2018
At Bankers the people were great , the ability to succeed as I saw it was nearly impossible, in part because of the need to learn the extremely complicated insurance business so one is effective at selling the" proper" insurance policy to the client and put food on ones table. Should have at least two years expense funds to get through the learning curve.
Pros
Great caring people.
Cons
Not up front with how long and "what it takes " to suceed in this business.
Great Oppertunity High Risk
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Webster, TXApril 10, 2018
This job will reward you greatly and pay you exceptionally, however nothing is guaranteed. A lot of time and effort is needed in order to get in front of just one person and even then they could just be flat out not interested,
Pros
Excellent, training programs and mentors. Many helpful coworkers
Cons
No benefits, Commission only
ok job
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILApril 9, 2018
Commission job. Can easily lose money. hard to find clients. Clients always rescheduling appointments, ignoring, or canceling policies. People working there are excellent and very friendly.
captive
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIApril 9, 2018
If you are a seasoned agent look else where... The commissions are way low compared to other companies. Very top heavy for compensation. Look else where.
It is fun to work there
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 7, 2018
I have learned a lot working there, and is a fun work environment, I have learned how to deal with people and stay calm, laws in florida respecting insurance.
Not worth the effort
Branch Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 7, 2018
It is very difficult to make money with this company in the first year. You are a"captive" agent, which means you can only sell Bankers Life products. The problem is that those products are minimal and priced WAY above the competition. On top of that, the company is more concerned with the return on investment to shareholders than it is to agents making a living.
When you do sell something, there is a very high probability that the policy will be sub-rated or declined.
Very tough living....
Very small space to work in and poor management
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 5, 2018
No communication and no really clear expectations or objectives from management. You are told you can move into management quickly but then you have to split everything with someone else. Salary is not 41K it's more like 20K per year. HUGE amount of turnover due to poor management and lack of meaningful training.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no benefits, no support, no motivation
Poor management and structure
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 4, 2018
Little to no training program after the initial program. Little to no reimbursement for required licenses. 1099 employee but required to be in the office at specific times. Managers and other seasoned employees do not offer guidance or assistance. New employees are left to learn on their own. Door to door sales. Cold calling. Leads are recycled often, new employees receive the worst areas to work and are often left to go door to door by themselves.
Bankers Life --Enjoyable But Not Lucrative
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 3, 2018
I worked at Bankers Life about the time the economy was starting to turn sour, so I didn't really make that much the two years I was working there. The experienced insurance agent assigned to train me was very helpful, and I also liked our last manager. I was also very good at setting up appointments not only for myself but for other agents.
Pros
Great staff to work with, discounts on life insurance
Cons
Bankers Life is no longer in Waco!
Challenging but well worth it!
Agent (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 2, 2018
Bankers was very open during the interview and told me what to expect-a structured work week with tons of training, mentoring and coaching from current agents and managers, and lots of incentives and prizes! It is a tough job-but selling anythig is tough, especially if you don't WORK at it. Bankers helps you by showing you what you need to do to make a bonus and how to get better at selling.
Commissions based insurance company
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIApril 1, 2018
An extremely competitive environment. No salary, just commissions. No healthcare or benefits of any kind unless you bought them yourself. No salary meant no paid time off. No policies or annuities being sold meant no income.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bankers Life. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

3.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight