Bankers Life Employee Reviews

Found 1,277 reviews matching the search See all 1,279 reviews
Low comission rate
Sales of Life Insurance, Medicare and Long (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJNovember 13, 2018
Poor interview and job training, good management, nice work enviroment, nice people to work with, clean office, close proximity to home no career advancement
Pros
mone
Stressful
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2018
many people lacked integrity and management was misleading when it came to changes with the leadership and future of the company. I would not recommend this as a stable place of employment, a lot of changes have happened and will happen in the future.
poor
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 11, 2018
poor management, wanted us to lie or cheat or do whatever to make sale. Did not approve of the management ways pertaining to females while on the occasional trips.
Cold Calling
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MINovember 10, 2018
This position is all about recycling through old leads and trying to rummage a sale out of some local elderly folks. Extremely stressful and cutthroat environment.
Great Job
A member of the Conseco Group (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 10, 2018
Was very successful at Bankers. My management was great. The culture was comfortable and effective.

The hardest part was being away from my family - commuted.

The best part was accomplishing a great deal and being recognized.
Pros
Great management team
Cons
The commute
Company doesn’t care for its agents
Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 9, 2018
Don’t fall into the trap. This company claims to care for the growth of the agents, but it’s all a scam. The staff might be nice too you, but it’s only if you bring production. Management is nice once they see that you sell, because it’s contributing to their numbers also. The company functions in a pyramid scheme, where they use the agents to make the money for them. You will be cold calling all day or pushed to door knock, only to see your trainer doing nothing (because their earnings will come from you). That’s the reason why there’s so much turnaround, agents leaving left and right. Save yourself the trouble and money by choosing to go with an agency or another company.
Cons
Little to no compensation, no career advancement, recycled leads
Bankers Life Insurance
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INNovember 8, 2018
I would have to say working for Bankers Life Insurance is one of the worst jobs I have ever had because you get paid strictly on commission and selling life insurance is extremely difficult.
Pros
You get to be your own boss when it comes to how many overtime hours you put in.
Cons
It is extremely difficult to sell life insurance.
The first two months at Bankers Life.
Insurance agent (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 6, 2018
I apologize. This is long and boring. I'm not a writer, but this is a step by step replay of my time with Bankers Life. I am currently employed by this company. I have been employed by them since the end of August 2018. This is a rundown of my time with them so far.

After passing all required courses and receiving my license I attended my first day with them. On my first day I was given a paper list of names, and sat down at a cubicle with a script. I was informed that I would be working with what they call a "veteran" the following day, but in order to do that I would need to schedule a full day of appointments for the both of us. A full day of appointments consists of roughly 8 appointments. So I obliged and did what I could having not received any training at all. It continued that way for 2 weeks. Doing nothing but making COLD CALLS with no official training and a script.

On my third week I showed up to work and asked who I would be working with this week. My manager tells me, "you'll have to find someone". Keep in mind I know about 4 or 5 names in the office at this point. I tried and continue to try to get an experienced partner to work with but all of the veterans have each other scheduled as partners for most of the foreseeable future.

This entire time I'm questioning the job and it's validity but they tell me to just stick with it and it'll come together eventually. So I commit to that. I say okay I'll give it time. I'll do my best to stay late and get my appointment's set and get people to go out on calls with me.

After about a month
  more... I finally received about a day and a half of "official" training. Only a day and a half because the second and third days they made me make the same calls I had already been making for a month and called it training. I continue to do my best to get veterans scheduled with me but I am now two and a half/3 months in and I am completely broke. I can no longer afford gas to get to work or food. I am required to rely entirely on my significant others income, because I can't get this job to go right.

I could just be bad at the job. I won't say that I'm a standout or awesome worker, but I will say I put my best efforts into it. I feel as though I receive no help whatsoever and that me going broke would actually be a laughable topic to most of my management. I get that it's a cut throat environment, but I don't see the point in hiring people that you have no intention of training whatsoever. I don't see how they expect me to convince clients that we will do good things with thier investments, when they have done nothing but negative things for my money.

It might be the right job for you, but I wouldn't try it unless you have a good friend in the office, a decent list of clients already, and enough money to live with no income for at least six months.
Didn't live up to what they say
Agent (Former Employee) –  AnonymousNovember 6, 2018
Everything is your fault if things don't go right. Too little money for too much work. Work/Life balance is not good. The company needs to adopt more modern and efficient marketing methods.
Pros
Certain coworkers
Cons
Commission only, charge-backs, inefficient marketing methods, toxic culture when things don't go well
Good company to work for
Agent Recruiter/Branch Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNNovember 4, 2018
For the most part, it is a great culture and good company. Good people, good working hours. Pay was decent, but tough to live on with costs in the area for rent. Hard for a single person to live off of. The management does not communicate effectively. Only looking to hire a certain "type of individual" is unfair to those applying for positions for the company. The toughest part was recruiting with no base pay or benefits for those I was attempting to recruit.
Pros
Free lunches from time to time. decent benefits.
Cons
Healthcare costs were high.
An opportunity is what you make of it
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  CharlotteNovember 2, 2018
If you’re willing to work hard, you will see the results. If you want to get paid without committing yourself to the process, it will not work. Insurance and financial services is not for everyone.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
First year is tough but rewarding
New Agent Experience
Unit Field Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 2, 2018
I am relatively new to this industry but have advanced quickly. I owe this in part to the great agents and managers in my office that helped train me and grow my business. Bankers Life also has a great curriculum for new agents. I worked hard, studied my craft, and pursued personal growth. I recently became a manager and am now helping folks just like me. I am making more money than I ever have and taking more vacations than I ever have. I recommend giving it a try. It could be the career of a lifetime.
Pros
Earn what you're worth. Flexible schedule. Great Company.
Cons
Must be a self starter and hard worker. Not for everyone.
A Day in the Life...
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PANovember 1, 2018
My experience at Bankers Life has been wonderful! The first job I've ever had that I absolutely love and the best part is I get to actually go around and HELP people. I meet new people every day in new environments, sit down with them, and help them understand their situation in a personal environment. The Bankers culture is way more "family" than "co-worker" and management and administration is always there to help and guide you! Every day is new and exciting!
Pros
Constant training, great atmosphere, very professional
Bankers is a Great Place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PANovember 1, 2018
Employment at Bankers Life has been great. Fellow employees are more than helpful to newer team members, which makes the environment friendly. Bankers is very transparent as well. Everything they tell you, is what it will be. The ability to see what is going on around you also gives you the motivation you may sometimes need in a sales business
Pros
Free food often, great work environment, all the training you could or should ever need is readily available
Very rewarding career for those willing to put in the time and effort
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PANovember 1, 2018
Bankers Life is a great opportunity for those for those willing to put in the time and effort as well as expanding their comfort zone. Be prepared to do some door-to-door prospecting. Management is very supportive and wants to see you succeed. Training and career development are done very well. Great company culture and atmosphere.
Pros
Unlimited Income
Cons
100% commission
Joke
Sales (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTOctober 31, 2018
Nothing but liars that will tell you what you want to hear to get you cold calling on a phone. I went to them experienced and licensed and was told nothing but lies about leads and commissions to get me on a phone making cold calls.
Pros
Cons
Liars
A big leap.
Outside Sales/ Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 30, 2018
Working for Bankers Life was the hardest 12 months of my life but I loved almost every minute of it. You are expected to pass you health and life insurance exam prior to starting the job however they do a wonderful job of walking you through the process. You are then expected to purchases your own name tag, business cards, ect. through the companies designated providers. All in all you will spend close to $500 when you first start. So if you are making the leap have some money set aside. I wish someone would have told me this when I started. You are then placed with a senior field trainer for the next 6-8 weeks where they will split you in on their commissions and vice versa. There is continuous education twice a week as well as classes offer and required for you to take while working there. I can honestly say I've never worked in a more inviting and supportive office. I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
On going education, Supportive work environment, Uncapped earnings
Cons
No health coverage, Commission only, Long hours, Lots of driving
Worked long hours, scheduled appointments, made presentations
Insurance Agent for Life, Health and Annuities (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLOctober 29, 2018
Calling and scheduling appointments to discuss Medicare or Long Term Care
Training was very good Had weekly meetings
Management: Not available enough. Competed with agents
Workplace culture was good.
Hardest part of the job was when the customers made an appoinment and confirmed that appointment and then were not there when arrived, especially when driving up to 2 hours.
Most enjoyable part of the job was educating people on Medicare products so they could make the best decision possible for their healthcare.
Pros
Great compensation plan
Cons
Management competing with agent
7 years
Agent (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAOctober 29, 2018
I have been here in King of Prussia for 7 years. The job is not for everyone. You can’t fear work. You will have to talk to people you have never met You will need to be able to survive on your own sales skills.
On the plus side your income is not limited by what someone else thinks it should be. Your schedule is flexible enough to allow you to ensure you are at the important events in life. The culture is collaborative with everyone willing to help out
Pros
Flexible schedule. Unlimited income. Commission with renewals
Cons
Commission only in first year
Current agent
Agent (Current Employee) –  King of prussiaOctober 29, 2018
Great atmosphere and environment. At bankers life you get what you put in. If you go into Bankers thinking that you will get rich fast your wrong. You can make a lot of money but it will take you time. I recommend this job to anybody who is very motivated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bankers Life. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight