Bar Louie Employee Reviews

You'll never matter to a corporate company.
Lead Bartender/Server/Trainer/Salary Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2019
devoted 3 years of my life to this company. spent countless hours away from my family, missed countless events, was called on my off days consistently, spent 50+ hours in store not always getting paid for my time as an hourly employee, was given a promotion only to show up to work one day and be told they were going to let me go. Employees lied about me and management all the way up into corporate offices didn't even bother to ask my side. After the time and energy spent with this company, and going the extra mile for them for over 3 years, they acted as if I was nothing to them at the end.
productive work place
Cocktail Waitress (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILFebruary 12, 2019
A typical day at work was good nice music respectful people generous tips a fast pace work place I have learned that the customer is always right and treat people the way u want be treated always smile while greeting someone I also got to come in contact with different variety of people and cultures the hardest part of the day for me was happy hour when it got very crowded and everyone is all over but I got use to it and now its not a problem for me anymore. The most enjoyable part of my job there was everyone was so nice and helped each other out and made each other comfortable
Pros
free lunch, free entree
Cons
late nights
Great for advancement
Bar Manager/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, OHFebruary 2, 2019
A typical work day was long for management. I learned so much, Im front of the house so they taught me everything about the kitchen. Manager training is nice, they pay for you to train. Management turn over is high but in all the time I worked there management was always decent. The hardest part can be the special days, for example "Dollar Burger night" which I think has changed since then, or "Go big". They hard work with little pay off. The most enjoyable part were the people I met and that I am still friends with to today. The best part of this job is that its very easy to advance, they mostly promote from within, lots of opportunity for transfers also if you need to locate.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement & transfer
High energy bar restaurant
FOH Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAJanuary 3, 2019
Worked as a manager in this bar restaurant chain. Very stressful with exceptionally long shifts. High expectations of managers dealing with drunken guests and dealing with insubordinate employees. Manager tasks were excessive and a closing managers could expect to leave work just before dawn. I did have upper management support on one occasion.
Pros
Free food for your shift
Cons
Long taxing hour, lots of paperwork after closing as well as food prep inventories for the next days business.
Good place to start out
BARTENDER/ SERVER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2018
This is a great bar to learn about the bar and restaurant industry. The money does come together eventually but it is a little slow at first. The shifts are usually at least seven hours long so don't expect to just get in and out. It's a great place to have as a reference and a great place to get your foot in the door if you do choose to stay in the industry. Management needs a little bit of work but overall the place is pretty nice to work out and mainly everyone there is very kind and welcoming.
Pros
Half- off food and good learning oppurtunities
Cons
Management and some harsh policies
I defintitely enjoyed my experience for the most part
Expo/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIDecember 14, 2018
Depending on the season, it was slow or really busy, as with most jobs. But I loved my coworkers (on most days) and when its busy it was fun because I enjoy working hard, however it could get a little stressful in the kitchen simply because there are so many different personalities you are dealing with and trying to make happy so that the customer remains happy as well. Managers are great (for the most part) and honestly as long as you are loyal, honest, and a hard worker it turns into a big family that would have your back if you need them to.
High-volume restaurant
Waitress/Server (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MANovember 20, 2018
Make sure that my section is clean and ready
Learned how to deal with large amounts of people while keeping tasks organized (i.e. Patriots games and other events at Gilette Stadium)
Hardest part of the job is to stay organized and not let customers see that you are stressed even if you are very busy
I enjoyed my coworkers and the environment
Pros
Fast-paced
Cons
Hard to budget because you never know how much money you will make
Fast paced
WAITRESS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
I like Bar Louie because it pays well, FOR ME. I also work extremely hard for my tips. The management is rather messy and impersonal. I had to get a doctors note to prove that I was sick or else I would have been punished by not being put on the schedule. This is problematic both because not every sick day calls for a doctors appointment (food poisoning, stomach flu, etc.) and also not everyone can afford to go to the doctor. The hardest part of the job is dealing with mean costumers and also working with people who aren't always friendly and happy to be there. Also you have to claim tips at the end of the night and then they take that amount out of your paycheck. Considering we get $4.50 an hour, I find this to be incredibly unfair.
Pros
cash
Cons
short breaks, on feet all day, disorganized staff.
Great place for advancement opportunities
General Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 2, 2018
If you are looking to gain managerial experience, Bar Louie is the perfect place to start. They are always willing to develop new talent; prefer to promote from within; and can you leave knowing you've gained many practical skills that are applicable to other fields.
Pros
Willing to develop, great for building experience
Cons
No Work-life balance, often rushed training
Owner is fantastic, food is fantastic, management sucked
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 1, 2018
The business is overall good, the owner (Todd) is an amazing man! He is very welcoming, treats you like family. He’s great to work with. There were managers that sucked, they favorited some people and let them get out of doing work and put more on you.
Pros
Great Boss, fun people to work with, great customers
Cons
Sucky managers
Not for me, but others may have a better experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 4, 2019
The hardest part of this job was the server manager who was currently employed during my time there. I was sexually harassed by corporate employee and ever since I reported it I got hardly any hours. Very unfair. I quit after a couple months.
Pros
discounted food
Cons
no breaks, no set schedule
Good Culture
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 16, 2019
Their motto is "freedom within a framework" and it's pretty much true. No two locations are exactly the same, and upper management allows the management teams to really make the stores their own.
Pros
Relaxed Culture with minimal BS
Cons
Company seems to not be sure whether to go "corporate" or remain a bit "indy"
Job includes long hours and a high turnover rate.
FOH MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 11, 2019
Bar Louie is your fun local bar, that has great pops and an amazing staff.
A typical day at work involves assisting FOH and BOH in their daily activities. Counting liquor to maintain proper variance. Closing the restaurant and completing nightly audits/paperwork.
Lucrative, flexible, and entertaining workplace.
Bartender, Trainer, Shift lead (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDNovember 6, 2018
Income was consistent and sufficient. Workplace was social and fun but management can be inconsistent. Corporate would attempt to be involved and micromanage and then be absent for long periods of time.
Pros
Great regulars, fun atmosphere.
Cons
Unnecessary corporate micromanagement
Great Pay, very challenging and fast paced, demanding, late hours
Key Holder, Bartender (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 12, 2018
Great tips if you are able to work late hours and are there to work. If you're not there to make money not the place for you. Must be able to multitask and communicate effectively. Must posses a strong personality because you will often be in uncomfortable situations.
Over all it was a nice place to work at, needs better management
Server (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INNovember 4, 2018
I liked working at Bar Louie, it was a nice environment and brought it a nice crowd. It was a good social environment. I am not sure at this point if I would recommend working here. I think I would, but I would also give the advice to remember how much you like it and not to let management get to you.
Very positive environment with great customer service
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 5, 2018
Bar Louie was a great place to work. The food was great and it had a variety of things to choose from. My problem was that I rarely eat what they had there ha. But yeah I love the food the the atmosphere is very positive. They make you feel good.
Pros
The food
Cons
No break
terrible
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INFebruary 11, 2019
owner laughed and told me I would never make anymore money than I was already making. I worked 15 hours a week more than I was told I had to. When I was told I would not be making anymore money I started working the hours I was told I would be in the beginning and was terminated.
Productive fun place
Busser/Server (Former Employee) –  Newport, KYDecember 20, 2018
It was a nice restaurant. Nice, friendly co workers. The food was incredible. The general manager switched like 10 times when I worked there, so there was a variety of different management styles.
Pros
Discount lunches
Cons
No paid vacation, and no holidays off
Terrible
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 20, 2018
No carreer avancement oppurtunities, non caring managers as well as the corporate headquarters. No care is given to the employees and they are never heard by the manager. Will never work here and would never wish upon anyone to work here.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bar Louie. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight