Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews

Great company
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  DC, DCOctober 17, 2018
Great company with great values strong systems in place. Plenty of room for growth. Dynamic ever changing menus chef has plenty of freedom . Over 22 years of success
Work at own risk
Cathedral Heights, DC - Server (Former Employee) –  ServerOctober 1, 2018
You will learn a lot of fun facts about food and wine however the compensation is LOW for servers. As a server you are required to take on every task in the restaurant while sharing your money with those who only have one job. The managers overstaff so we often have too many people on schedule. Its cool but you can not work here full time if you have to pay rent.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low pay, high turn over of managers and employees. Bussers make more than servers
fun place with good people
Wine Consultant and Team Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2018
Honestly, it was a great job that was nothing less of hectic. During the summer, the pay isn't as great because of how slow the flow of people is but when it picks up, it's hectic and had great pay. The managers were pretty nice and isn't the place for anyone that wants a lot of down time.
Learning Curve
Chef (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2018
An incredible experience and place to learn for a career minded individual. This company is not for everyone; the restaurant is very demanding but rewarding in many ways.
Productive fun
Busser/Barback (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 17, 2018
Is a good place to workhard, nice people, nice environment an the training is very good, they teach you how to do a lot of things so you’ll be learning how works a great restaurant
good coworkers, bad pay
Brunch Chef (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTAugust 7, 2018
I learned a lot, advanced quite a bit, but was never fairly compensated for my work. typical restaurant hours as to be expected, my coworkers were fantastic and that is a large part of why I stayed so long
A good fit for someone willing to play the game.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2018
If there is one positive thing that I can say about Barcelona, it was that I always had my money right at the Inman Park location. High volume, super busy nights, etc. Of course that comes along with a high-stress, fast-paced environment, but I knew that would be a part of it. Amazing wine education when whoever was in charge that month felt it fit into their schedule. On that note, management changed frequently due to a mixture of expansion and firings.

Home/Work balance is extremely out of whack. Shifts could start as early as 10 am on the weekends and easily run past 2am on the same day. Some weekends breaks were not allowed as management would just continue seating your section through what you expected to be your break time. There are around two mandatory server meetings a month where you will be expected to come in a couple of hours before your shift / on your day off to learn about some random aspect of Barcelona Wine Bar culture. These classes range from genuinely informative wine tastings to hour long refreshers on how to properly set tables.

Communication from management to servers is extremely poor. You can expect to work a Saturday double with no break and your manager on duty will more than likely not come to talk to you or offer a reason why without being badgered. An opening server might be expected to close that night seemingly at random with no communication from management either. It is incredibly frustrating to watch servers who clocked in two or three hours after you get cut before you with no explanation and having to feel like the "bad guy" in order
  more... to get some sort of justification.

As I said in the title, this job is a perfect fit for someone who is willing to take a total lack of consistency or respect in stride. If you're the type of person who is willing to work 12+ hours a shift then you might be approached to be a shift leader at some point by your General Manager. However, this distinction is fleeting and is subject to revocation without warning with no explanation or communication from management. Brown nosing is encouraged and will be rewarded with back-pats and more responsibilities, but no additional compensation on the company's part.

Have fun!
Pros
Great food / Wine, Amazing discount if the manager on duty likes you, Okay discount if they don't like you.
Cons
Terminations are frequent and happen suddenly, Lack of consistency
Perfect Place for the Right Person.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2018
I am not that person. It's uber trendy, loud, open til 2 or 3 in the morning and so packed at times that it is literally not possible to do your job. Management was young. I mean, really young. No real leadership on the management team. They seem like they are just hanging out, collecting their paychecks. Nice enough people. Personable. They simply seem to be towing the line. Anyway, I would have adored that place in my 20's. I, however, am not in my 20's. I don't like leaving work at 4 in the morning. I don't want to have to yell at my tables or strain to hear them. It's a cool place. Just not for me.
Mgmt isnt very helpful. They dont lead by example. Never any positive reinforcement. t
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 14, 2018
I'd give the wine and food better, mgmt ruins that too. Sorry Denver
You should go support a local place that values staff.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pros
Discount if they let you order
Cons
Poor mgmt
Fun place to work / but it is a lot of work!
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
Some of the rules that they selectively enforced at times do not help their objective of giving the guest a total great experience. The hours do not equal what you are making in money
Pros
Discounted food, Good money
Cons
Poor Management
It was a good productive work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Job was nice management was difficult to deal with very rude I would. Recommend working here if management were nicer but overall the area was convenient
Pros
It has consistent business
Cons
Management not nice
overworked
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  CTJune 18, 2018
Long Days, driven my ever changing management goals, relentless paperwork, overmanaged, uncaring, no work life balance. Compensation was fair but the demands did not justify.
Fun and fast-paced environment
Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2018
Fast-paced environment. Constantly shifting personnel. Had me on my toes the entire time. You never know what to expect. Trains you to go with the punches.
fast pace never a dull moment
Busboy & Runner (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 10, 2018
restaurant jobs can be very stressful, where i worked it was a fast pace environment where if you weren't focused on the quality of the food or customer satisfaction we weren't doing our jobs right. there's a lot of quick thinking but the management staff there are great they are a huge help and will do what they can to work with you as long as you put forth the same effort. Barcelona is a place that i will go to and eat and visit my old boss because we had an honest caring employer/employee relationship.
Overworked
Chef (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT and Fairfield, CTMarch 24, 2018
I loved the restaurant and that is why I applied to work here. However, they expect the cooks and chefs to work sometimes from 10am to 12 midnight for one very low salary. They treat the chefs like cooks, and that is because they hire young chefs that lack good leadership skills. The chefs don't lead, they are impressed when the cooks butter them up with compliments and they get away with not doing the work. The management doesn't hire enough people to prep and the chefs end up doing most of the prepping. It's a lack of management skills and the burnout rate is very high. They keep hiring chefs but not workers.
It was a disappointment to work here. The training of chefs is great, but it is a waste of money to the company when they do little to better the work life balance which is why most chefs quit.
Pros
Great name restaurant
Cons
Young chefs that lack good management and leadership skills.
workplace culture is great and its enjoyable
Sever/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 20, 2018
people come to barcelona expecting great service but also a great time and thats what the staff does its a fun place to work and i love interacting with guest
Barcelona
Hostess, Front Server, (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTMarch 20, 2018
It was a great place to work if you are fast paced and like to be with different crowds of people and co-workets. Corporate and Management need a lot of help.
Great environment
Full-time Bartender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2018
Great environment, nice coworkers, reliable hours, inconsistant money, nice management, great food, education in spanish wines, fun workplace culture.
Pros
consistant hours
Cons
inconsistant money
Fun workplace, but had very little job security.
Food & Alcohol Sales (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2018
The vibe, food, wine and team were all amazing. Unfortunately the management was less to be desired, unexperienced and job growth within this store was scarce.
Pros
Discounted food and wine
Cons
Management lacked experience
Great atmosphere and culture
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAFebruary 11, 2018
Working at Barcelona was a great experience. Management, staff, food, and overall culture of the company was top-notch. The restaurant was a staple within our community.