Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews

lose team service
Server (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJanuary 10, 2018
Great place, lots of running. Team service isn't my favorite if it was single service my pockets would be much fatter, Team work is all around, but they don't all work as hard as the next one and splitting tips gets frustrating when you pulled all the weight .
Pros
fun, family
Cons
team service
Good Concept, Weird Focus
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 19, 2017
The company as a whole is on the up and up.My typical day began at 10AM where I had received the daily deliveries with the assistance of my prep team. After which time I directly worked on the prep for the day to get the line ready for service.
Pros
Fast paced, culinary challenges
Cons
need to also focus on employee morale
Fun Work Place
Server/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2017
I loved to environment that Barcelona offered not only to guests, but to employees as well. It made me feel part of a family, good company with a good structure behind it.
Pros
Good money
No Summary
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAOctober 21, 2017
I will not go into detail about the Barteca group other to say that it is an amazing group that I wish I could make the life/work balance work better for.
good environment and good coworkers
Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAOctober 3, 2017
fast paced job, understanding managment and great money with flexible hours and shifts. great food, they have family meals before the shift to make sure that we are ready to get the job done
Fast paste, good co-workers, ok pay
Dishwasher/Porter (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutSeptember 29, 2017
GOOD business establishments, work environment is fair, pay rate is decent, weekly hours are ok, management is fair, location is reasonable to commuters
Pros
Free meals on chefs
Cons
Too many bosses
Barselonas
Food Runner and Busser (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 31, 2017
It was a good job just managers couldnt keep it together i had to leave for the sake of me gettibg hours and being scheduled white they stopped givibg me hours for bo reason
Pros
Tips
Cons
Always busy
Decent after awhile
Server (Former Employee) –  Inman Park, GAAugust 11, 2017
High turnover, disrespectful managers, fun coworkers nice area. Personally i would work here again if management changed. It takes awhile to make decent money because of their system
Fast Paced Fine dining
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2017
At Barcelona, preparation was the main key. Most of our items were made from scratch so majority of the time allocated was spent making sure cooks behind you were up to date. Volume on the weekends is very high due to the atmosphere and late closing time. The bar area consistently brought in patrons all times of day.
Pros
Variety of materials, consistent menu changes
Cons
Long hours, High Volume
Hands down best company to work for
Boston, Ma AGM/Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2017
Excellent, driven, no BS culture.
Be the best because you're surrounded by the best

Be ready to be ON at all times. No cruise control with this company. You are driving at all times.

Opportunity to shine and develop new skills.

Wine list is sick and you WILL learn every single day

Want to know more about Barcelona Wine Bar?

Ask a question
One crazy family but they get the job done.
Server (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 28, 2017
Have loved working here. It's a good place to work for extra money in your pocket and they're good about stepping you up in the company if that's what you want.
Great food, great service
Server (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 1, 2017
Barcelona Wine Bar is one of Boston's most popular restaurant/bars. It's important to understand how busy it gets, seriously! You're gonna get your butt kicked working here. But the good part is, everybody gets their butt kicked equally so you get really close to your co-workers, to the point where you'll call it your Barcelona family. There is stress and there is pressure but there are some things that will happen during a shift that will make you feel better than you've ever felt in your life (read: a chef putting aside an extra tapa for you to scarf down in 5 seconds in the back).

I loved this job, the managers are great and treat everyone with respect, which goes so far in making it an enjoyable workplace.
Pros
Great food, great wine education
Cons
No breaks, no sitting, extremely fast pace on weekends
Fast-paced work place with good intent
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 17, 2017
Even as a part-time worker, this job has a tendency to become overwhelming. If you have a lot going on in your life, it may not be the best fit. I enjoyed being able to work a few days a week and making decent compensation. However, outside life sort of swallowed my up and I had to cut my stay short. Management is alright; they gave me a lot of trouble for no valid reason. The people you work with are a hit or a miss. Like any workplace, you really click with some people and others you'd rather stay away from. If you work here for a few years, you can work your way up the ladder. I unfortunately did not have this pleasure as I worked here for less than a year.
Pros
compensation
Cons
short food breaks
Great concept, terrible company
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 3, 2017
One of the absolute worst fine dining jobs I have ever had. This company created a fantastic concept in terms of the quality of the food, wine, atmosphere & service but all of that was coupled with the worst work environment I have ever experienced. Each work day was ripe with micromanagement, unacceptable compensation, insufficient space for storage, unhappy work crew, massive turnover and a general management team who could not be any less people oriented, specifically towards their staff. I have never felt less supported by a management team in all of my work history. One company and concept that has suffered greatly from over-corporatization.
High energy environment, great co workers
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 26, 2017
working here started off great, towards the end management changed too many times for my liking. Still made great food, days were long but went by fast an fun.
Fast Paced and Charming Atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2017
Really fast paced, side work after every shift, management can be strict occasionally, they feed their employees before and after shifts, very diverse, hardest days to work are weekends but you make the most on those days.
Pros
family meals before and after shifts
Cons
no breaks, no talking, management can be strict
Great company culture with never ending dedication to it's guests
REGIONAL DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCNovember 25, 2016
Always look for feedback and you will receive it. Be sure to speak up as opinions and suggestions are welcomed to help improve upon service and best practices.

Colleagues are one of the best things about the job-they really become family!
Fun but had quirks
Line Chef/Jr Sous (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAMay 11, 2016
I loved walking in the doors to barcelona, we had a great team an people had the desire to grow. Of course everything wasnt perfect there is no such thing as a perfect company. What I didn't like was the shift of power. One minute we had a good secure chef then he was fired an we had a new one an once we would comfortable with someone they would be gone without a warning.
Pros
great team, solid
Cons
no stability
culinary arts
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 25, 2016
this is an amazing job to grow and learn the culinary arts
I love working at a place where the menu changes and I can grow

I come in prep my station and prepare for the rush
and staying stocked during that rush
Very relaxed and fun compared to my past experiences
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTFebruary 15, 2016
Great learning experience, working literally next to local farmers day to day. Travelled to Spain with other Chefs and managers also a trip by myself to work along side a chef in Rioja overall great.