Barcelona Wine Bar

Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews

High energy environment, great co workers
working here started off great, towards the end management changed too many times for my liking. Still made great food, days were long but went by fast an fun.
Great atmosphere
First I want to say that I was not even remotely familiar with Barcelona prior to getting an interview. i was in need of a job and they were hiring.

The interview went well. I was very clear with what I was seeking and it was made very clear to me that Barcelona fit the bill, to a t. I accepted a serving position and began training.

It took me no time at all to realize that much of what was told me in the interview was not really how things worked, in reality. Things like late nights and club like atmosphere. I am not interested in working in a night club. Not interested in being at work at 4 in the morning. Was told that isn't what they were and that 4 a.m. would never happen. It all happened first week. SO.. ok, that sucks... it's not the perfect fit I thought it would be.

The work itself though, was just standard restaurant work. It was fine. Money, was hit or miss. You gotta get through the testing to be a front server to make any money, there. Cool. Whatever. That is true in many restaurants.

Often turns clubby after I'd say 9 or so. Restaurant stays open til local law says you must make last call. 3 am, at my location. There has to be a server on duty til 3 am. Often just sitting around for hours doing absolutely nothing. No customers. No tips. Just hours of waiting so in an empty dining room. Often getting one drunk table that just wants to chill... Again, cool. Just not for me.

Company offers great education in wines, if you are wanting and willing to learn. Mandatory wine classes and lots of wine talk. It's a wine bar, after all.

- more...
I just loved it!
Being in this restaurant gave me the great opportunity to engage and feeling grow whiting in me the a new meaning for the word *family*
Good company
It is very good company, I liked many things from that place, very good food (not 100% fresh) prepared managers. excellent company to work a part time (because you never get more then 30/W).
competitive but rewarding
I worked for this company for almost a year but had to leave because I was moving to a state without a restaurant concept. It is competitive but worth it all. I became one of the first certified front servers as well as trainers in my store. It is a tough fast paced job but with the right personality you will succeed. They offer training classes and opportunities to advance yourself if you show the initiative.
Pros
50% off discount at both Barcelona and Del friscos
Cons
no breaks...not unusual
Long term emoloyee
Have been with the company since before it became corporate, have seen a slope of downfalls in the culture and employee concern. However restaurant is always busy.
Fun place to work
This enviormentbcan be taxing but the managers and employees make it worth all the stress. This restaurant tries to balance high end service styling with a while and fun atmosphere. They who can class on occasion
cool job
fun place to work. I stated in my interview that bussing tables was a means to an end for me so that I could pay my way through college but after 9 months of doing everything that was asked of me and watching countless other servers get hired and quit without a promotion I'm deciding to leave for a company that is prepared to recognize me financially for my hard work
Pros
fun enviornment
Cons
making less money after 9 months of employment.
decent place, fast money, bad management
very fast paced, they dont want you to make interactions with guest transactional but also demand you take 12+ tables and greet each one with a ridiculously long monologue. but the money was great usually.
it a great job
everybody is very friendly and nice and the chef would work with you until you have full understanding of what your job description and you the chef and or your boss would be willing to work with you
dont work here
they are horrible to work for. they dont have good communication, they forget about you and dont schedule or pay you and you have to fight to get paid.
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else
Barcelona
Barcelona is a great company to work for. However not sure how it is now that it is within a corporate group. It would be interesting to see how things have changed.
Great company
Great company with great values strong systems in place. Plenty of room for growth. Dynamic ever changing menus chef has plenty of freedom . Over 22 years of success
Work at own risk
You will learn a lot of fun facts about food and wine however the compensation is LOW for servers. As a server you are required to take on every task in the restaurant while sharing your money with those who only have one job. The managers overstaff so we often have too many people on schedule. Its cool but you can not work here full time if you have to pay rent.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low pay, high turn over of managers and employees. Bussers make more than servers
fun place with good people
Honestly, it was a great job that was nothing less of hectic. During the summer, the pay isn't as great because of how slow the flow of people is but when it picks up, it's hectic and had great pay. The managers were pretty nice and isn't the place for anyone that wants a lot of down time.
Learning Curve
An incredible experience and place to learn for a career minded individual. This company is not for everyone; the restaurant is very demanding but rewarding in many ways.
Productive fun
Is a good place to workhard, nice people, nice environment an the training is very good, they teach you how to do a lot of things so you’ll be learning how works a great restaurant
good coworkers, bad pay
I learned a lot, advanced quite a bit, but was never fairly compensated for my work. typical restaurant hours as to be expected, my coworkers were fantastic and that is a large part of why I stayed so long
A good fit for someone willing to play the game.
If there is one positive thing that I can say about Barcelona, it was that I always had my money right at the Inman Park location. High volume, super busy nights, etc. Of course that comes along with a high-stress, fast-paced environment, but I knew that would be a part of it. Amazing wine education when whoever was in charge that month felt it fit into their schedule. On that note, management changed frequently due to a mixture of expansion and firings.

Home/Work balance is extremely out of whack. Shifts could start as early as 10 am on the weekends and easily run past 2am on the same day. Some weekends breaks were not allowed as management would just continue seating your section through what you expected to be your break time. There are around two mandatory server meetings a month where you will be expected to come in a couple of hours before your shift / on your day off to learn about some random aspect of Barcelona Wine Bar culture. These classes range from genuinely informative wine tastings to hour long refreshers on how to properly set tables.

Communication from management to servers is extremely poor. You can expect to work a Saturday double with no break and your manager on duty will more than likely not come to talk to you or offer a reason why without being badgered. An opening server might be expected to close that night seemingly at random with no communication from management either. It is incredibly frustrating to watch servers who clocked in two or three hours after you get cut before you with no explanation and having to feel like the "bad guy" in order
 - more...
Pros
Great food / Wine, Amazing discount if the manager on duty likes you, Okay discount if they don't like you.
Cons
Terminations are frequent and happen suddenly, Lack of consistency
Perfect Place for the Right Person.
I am not that person. It's uber trendy, loud, open til 2 or 3 in the morning and so packed at times that it is literally not possible to do your job. Management was young. I mean, really young. No real leadership on the management team. They seem like they are just hanging out, collecting their paychecks. Nice enough people. Personable. They simply seem to be towing the line. Anyway, I would have adored that place in my 20's. I, however, am not in my 20's. I don't like leaving work at 4 in the morning. I don't want to have to yell at my tables or strain to hear them. It's a cool place. Just not for me.
Mgmt isnt very helpful. They dont lead by example. Never any positive reinforcement. t
I'd give the wine and food better, mgmt ruins that too. Sorry Denver
You should go support a local place that values staff.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pros
Discount if they let you order
Cons
Poor mgmt