Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews in Atlanta, GA

fun place with good people
Wine Consultant and Team Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2018
Honestly, it was a great job that was nothing less of hectic. During the summer, the pay isn't as great because of how slow the flow of people is but when it picks up, it's hectic and had great pay. The managers were pretty nice and isn't the place for anyone that wants a lot of down time.
A good fit for someone willing to play the game.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2018
If there is one positive thing that I can say about Barcelona, it was that I always had my money right at the Inman Park location. High volume, super busy nights, etc. Of course that comes along with a high-stress, fast-paced environment, but I knew that would be a part of it. Amazing wine education when whoever was in charge that month felt it fit into their schedule. On that note, management changed frequently due to a mixture of expansion and firings.

Home/Work balance is extremely out of whack. Shifts could start as early as 10 am on the weekends and easily run past 2am on the same day. Some weekends breaks were not allowed as management would just continue seating your section through what you expected to be your break time. There are around two mandatory server meetings a month where you will be expected to come in a couple of hours before your shift / on your day off to learn about some random aspect of Barcelona Wine Bar culture. These classes range from genuinely informative wine tastings to hour long refreshers on how to properly set tables.

Communication from management to servers is extremely poor. You can expect to work a Saturday double with no break and your manager on duty will more than likely not come to talk to you or offer a reason why without being badgered. An opening server might be expected to close that night seemingly at random with no communication from management either. It is incredibly frustrating to watch servers who clocked in two or three hours after you get cut before you with no explanation and having to feel like the "bad guy" in order
  more... to get some sort of justification.

As I said in the title, this job is a perfect fit for someone who is willing to take a total lack of consistency or respect in stride. If you're the type of person who is willing to work 12+ hours a shift then you might be approached to be a shift leader at some point by your General Manager. However, this distinction is fleeting and is subject to revocation without warning with no explanation or communication from management. Brown nosing is encouraged and will be rewarded with back-pats and more responsibilities, but no additional compensation on the company's part.

Have fun!
Pros
Great food / Wine, Amazing discount if the manager on duty likes you, Okay discount if they don't like you.
Cons
Terminations are frequent and happen suddenly, Lack of consistency
Perfect Place for the Right Person.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2018
I am not that person. It's uber trendy, loud, open til 2 or 3 in the morning and so packed at times that it is literally not possible to do your job. Management was young. I mean, really young. No real leadership on the management team. They seem like they are just hanging out, collecting their paychecks. Nice enough people. Personable. They simply seem to be towing the line. Anyway, I would have adored that place in my 20's. I, however, am not in my 20's. I don't like leaving work at 4 in the morning. I don't want to have to yell at my tables or strain to hear them. It's a cool place. Just not for me.
Fun place to work / but it is a lot of work!
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
Some of the rules that they selectively enforced at times do not help their objective of giving the guest a total great experience. The hours do not equal what you are making in money
Pros
Discounted food, Good money
Cons
Poor Management
It was a good productive work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Job was nice management was difficult to deal with very rude I would. Recommend working here if management were nicer but overall the area was convenient
Pros
It has consistent business
Cons
Management not nice
Fun and fast-paced environment
Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2018
Fast-paced environment. Constantly shifting personnel. Had me on my toes the entire time. You never know what to expect. Trains you to go with the punches.
Great environment
Full-time Bartender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2018
Great environment, nice coworkers, reliable hours, inconsistant money, nice management, great food, education in spanish wines, fun workplace culture.
Pros
consistant hours
Cons
inconsistant money
Fun workplace, but had very little job security.
Food & Alcohol Sales (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2018
The vibe, food, wine and team were all amazing. Unfortunately the management was less to be desired, unexperienced and job growth within this store was scarce.
Pros
Discounted food and wine
Cons
Management lacked experience
Fun Work Place
Server/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2017
I loved to environment that Barcelona offered not only to guests, but to employees as well. It made me feel part of a family, good company with a good structure behind it.
Pros
Good money
Fast Paced Fine dining
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2017
At Barcelona, preparation was the main key. Most of our items were made from scratch so majority of the time allocated was spent making sure cooks behind you were up to date. Volume on the weekends is very high due to the atmosphere and late closing time. The bar area consistently brought in patrons all times of day.
Pros
Variety of materials, consistent menu changes
Cons
Long hours, High Volume
One crazy family but they get the job done.
Server (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 28, 2017
Have loved working here. It's a good place to work for extra money in your pocket and they're good about stepping you up in the company if that's what you want.
Fast Paced and Charming Atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2017
Really fast paced, side work after every shift, management can be strict occasionally, they feed their employees before and after shifts, very diverse, hardest days to work are weekends but you make the most on those days.
Pros
family meals before and after shifts
Cons
no breaks, no talking, management can be strict
Enjoyable job with bad management
Busser/Barback (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2015
Great job with great money and benifits. Manager was very friendly and helpful. However seemed like a beginner in the restaurant industry.
Demanding job but gained a lot of industry knowledge
Head Trainer, Captain, Server (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 7, 2014
At Barcelona Wine Bar we all work as a team. It was the first restaurant where I have worked that uses a "front/back" serving system. At times I saw the value in it and understood why it is used and then other times I found it a bit useless and felt the restaurant was overstaffed. This is a very busy restaurant so the hours were very long as they do not close until very late in the evening. Some days stamina at 1 a.m. was hard to maintain. I did learn a lot about food and wine and hospitality. I do believe Barcelona has one of the best serving staffs in all of Atlanta. The management expects a lot out off its employees. Everything from uniform, obeying steps of service and keeping the restaurant clean and welcoming is required to be on point. I wanted to move up with this company but since I have worked here the management has not been consistent. Constantly changing GMs, and AGMs coming and going doesn't provide the structure that a serving staff needs. We see this as an unstable future for ourselves and therefore some people who were well pass the serving stage had to move on from the company to better opportunities. This is a wonderful company with a great motto but the work/life balance isn't even enough for people with families or those who want them.
My 1st Fine dine restaurants Job
Busser (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 2, 2014
Buss tables, learning from my mistakes to come up inside of the business. Became a Host & continued to give great customer service .
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Fired for all the wrong reasons