Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews in West Hartford, CT

good coworkers, bad pay
Brunch Chef (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTAugust 7, 2018
I learned a lot, advanced quite a bit, but was never fairly compensated for my work. typical restaurant hours as to be expected, my coworkers were fantastic and that is a large part of why I stayed so long
fast pace never a dull moment
Busboy & Runner (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 10, 2018
restaurant jobs can be very stressful, where i worked it was a fast pace environment where if you weren't focused on the quality of the food or customer satisfaction we weren't doing our jobs right. there's a lot of quick thinking but the management staff there are great they are a huge help and will do what they can to work with you as long as you put forth the same effort. Barcelona is a place that i will go to and eat and visit my old boss because we had an honest caring employer/employee relationship.
Fast-paced work place with good intent
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 17, 2017
Even as a part-time worker, this job has a tendency to become overwhelming. If you have a lot going on in your life, it may not be the best fit. I enjoyed being able to work a few days a week and making decent compensation. However, outside life sort of swallowed my up and I had to cut my stay short. Management is alright; they gave me a lot of trouble for no valid reason. The people you work with are a hit or a miss. Like any workplace, you really click with some people and others you'd rather stay away from. If you work here for a few years, you can work your way up the ladder. I unfortunately did not have this pleasure as I worked here for less than a year.
Pros
compensation
Cons
short food breaks
Take payments, cashier, Send and receive money, check ID or Passport, etc
Busser (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTAugust 28, 2015
It's an easy job and calm. You handle money a lot so you have to be careful and make sure you have exactly the amount that shows on the close out. I liked it but people can also be rude and grumpy.
What you see is not what it really is.
Busser, Barback (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJuly 10, 2015
Loved all the people that I worked with. An overall great group of people. However, pay was very poor and it was very difficult to get the hours desired due to an overstaff of workers in certain positions. As a busser, I did a majority of the work for the servers and the bartenders. I almost acted as a back for the servers and a bar back while I was only getting paid for the busser position. When I closed late nights, I would often bar back for the bartenders who never tipped out correctly due to a previous bartender years ago deciding not to tip bar backs at all. On busy nights when bartenders make $350+ each, they would typically only tip bar back 15-20 bucks a piece. They would not make close to that much if us bar backs didn't keep the bar completely stocked and cleaned for them at all times throughout the night. Also, some servers in the restaurant never tipped out correctly. The management was very....'cool'. They were all great people and everyone loved them. But they allowed employees to get away with too much. IE: being late, tipping out incorrectly, stealing drinks, stealing free drink tokens, not dressing appropriately, doing drugs. Also, all employees had to pay for parking every shift they had. It was typically 7-15 dollars a day/night for parking. You would figure that such a well established restaurant would at least pay for their employees parking. Also, employees that had been working there for a long time were more often likely to get away with stealing drinks and food, smoking marijuana during work outside, taking several cigarette breaks, showing up late,  more... missing work unexcused, being very rude to newer employees, feeling entitled to everything. IE: someone was scheduled to close on a very busy Saturday night with one other person. Drank a lot during the work and left mid-shift, went outside and smoked a fat blunt, ate some medicinal mushrooms, drove off to meet someone to hook up with, crashed their car. This person returned to work the next day and everything was fine with management, only because it was a good looking, charismatic person who had been working there for several years. All while the other person that closed that night struggled and had a very bad/ stressful night. On the other hand, a newer employee that had only been working there for a few months was fired due to being 30 minutes late on 3 separate occasions on Mondays and Tuesdays, two of the slowest days at the restaurant.

This is a great restaurant to eat at and visit for a good selection of wines.

However, the inside of this company is VERY CORRUPT.

The upper management who manages all the managers of the Barcelona restaurants in Connecticut is a very good manager in my eyes though. The managers and employees at the Barcelona in West Hartford do a very good job hiding these things from upper management.
Pros
Often a fun place to work
Cons
Lousy pay, unfair tip outs, poor overall management efficiency.
No ping pong table here
o Executive Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJanuary 1, 2015
Any chance to have expressed myself as an artist with the respect of another wonderfull cultures influence, I am thankful for.
I loved working here I just needed a change.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTAugust 31, 2012
Working here for 3 years allowed me to build a lot of personal and professional relationship that i still maintain today, im just looking to change my location and start in a new fresh place.