Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews for Bartender

Fun place to work
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 23, 2019
This enviormentbcan be taxing but the managers and employees make it worth all the stress. This restaurant tries to balance high end service styling with a while and fun atmosphere. They who can class on occasion
Productive fun
Busser/Barback (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 17, 2018
Is a good place to workhard, nice people, nice environment an the training is very good, they teach you how to do a lot of things so you’ll be learning how works a great restaurant
Mgmt isnt very helpful. They dont lead by example. Never any positive reinforcement. t
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 14, 2018
I'd give the wine and food better, mgmt ruins that too. Sorry Denver
You should go support a local place that values staff.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pros
Discount if they let you order
Cons
Poor mgmt
Fun place to work / but it is a lot of work!
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
Some of the rules that they selectively enforced at times do not help their objective of giving the guest a total great experience. The hours do not equal what you are making in money
Pros
Discounted food, Good money
Cons
Poor Management
Great environment
Full-time Bartender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2018
Great environment, nice coworkers, reliable hours, inconsistant money, nice management, great food, education in spanish wines, fun workplace culture.
Pros
consistant hours
Cons
inconsistant money
Great concept, terrible company
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 3, 2017
One of the absolute worst fine dining jobs I have ever had. This company created a fantastic concept in terms of the quality of the food, wine, atmosphere & service but all of that was coupled with the worst work environment I have ever experienced. Each work day was ripe with micromanagement, unacceptable compensation, insufficient space for storage, unhappy work crew, massive turnover and a general management team who could not be any less people oriented, specifically towards their staff. I have never felt less supported by a management team in all of my work history. One company and concept that has suffered greatly from over-corporatization.
Enjoyable job with bad management
Busser/Barback (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2015
Great job with great money and benifits. Manager was very friendly and helpful. However seemed like a beginner in the restaurant industry.
What you see is not what it really is.
Busser, Barback (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJuly 10, 2015
Loved all the people that I worked with. An overall great group of people. However, pay was very poor and it was very difficult to get the hours desired due to an overstaff of workers in certain positions. As a busser, I did a majority of the work for the servers and the bartenders. I almost acted as a back for the servers and a bar back while I was only getting paid for the busser position. When I closed late nights, I would often bar back for the bartenders who never tipped out correctly due to a previous bartender years ago deciding not to tip bar backs at all. On busy nights when bartenders make $350+ each, they would typically only tip bar back 15-20 bucks a piece. They would not make close to that much if us bar backs didn't keep the bar completely stocked and cleaned for them at all times throughout the night. Also, some servers in the restaurant never tipped out correctly. The management was very....'cool'. They were all great people and everyone loved them. But they allowed employees to get away with too much. IE: being late, tipping out incorrectly, stealing drinks, stealing free drink tokens, not dressing appropriately, doing drugs. Also, all employees had to pay for parking every shift they had. It was typically 7-15 dollars a day/night for parking. You would figure that such a well established restaurant would at least pay for their employees parking. Also, employees that had been working there for a long time were more often likely to get away with stealing drinks and food, smoking marijuana during work outside, taking several cigarette breaks, showing up late,  more... missing work unexcused, being very rude to newer employees, feeling entitled to everything. IE: someone was scheduled to close on a very busy Saturday night with one other person. Drank a lot during the work and left mid-shift, went outside and smoked a fat blunt, ate some medicinal mushrooms, drove off to meet someone to hook up with, crashed their car. This person returned to work the next day and everything was fine with management, only because it was a good looking, charismatic person who had been working there for several years. All while the other person that closed that night struggled and had a very bad/ stressful night. On the other hand, a newer employee that had only been working there for a few months was fired due to being 30 minutes late on 3 separate occasions on Mondays and Tuesdays, two of the slowest days at the restaurant.

This is a great restaurant to eat at and visit for a good selection of wines.

However, the inside of this company is VERY CORRUPT.

The upper management who manages all the managers of the Barcelona restaurants in Connecticut is a very good manager in my eyes though. The managers and employees at the Barcelona in West Hartford do a very good job hiding these things from upper management.
Pros
Often a fun place to work
Cons
Lousy pay, unfair tip outs, poor overall management efficiency.
Productive and Learning Inspired Work Place
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 25, 2014
In the time I spent with Barcelona I learned how to be a team player and a leader. I was able to provide continual support to my co-workers and educate my clients. I learned how to work with high volume crowds and manage my way through stressful situations. One of the hardest parts about my job was the long hours with limited breaks, but that was compensated by customer satisfaction.
Pros
Free Educational Classes, Involved Staff, Great Environment
Cons
Short breaks, Long Hours into the early morning
I loved working here I just needed a change.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTAugust 31, 2012
Working here for 3 years allowed me to build a lot of personal and professional relationship that i still maintain today, im just looking to change my location and start in a new fresh place.