Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews for Front End Associate

decent place, fast money, bad management
Front Server (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJanuary 11, 2019
very fast paced, they dont want you to make interactions with guest transactional but also demand you take 12+ tables and greet each one with a ridiculously long monologue. but the money was great usually.
A good fit for someone willing to play the game.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2018
If there is one positive thing that I can say about Barcelona, it was that I always had my money right at the Inman Park location. High volume, super busy nights, etc. Of course that comes along with a high-stress, fast-paced environment, but I knew that would be a part of it. Amazing wine education when whoever was in charge that month felt it fit into their schedule. On that note, management changed frequently due to a mixture of expansion and firings.

Home/Work balance is extremely out of whack. Shifts could start as early as 10 am on the weekends and easily run past 2am on the same day. Some weekends breaks were not allowed as management would just continue seating your section through what you expected to be your break time. There are around two mandatory server meetings a month where you will be expected to come in a couple of hours before your shift / on your day off to learn about some random aspect of Barcelona Wine Bar culture. These classes range from genuinely informative wine tastings to hour long refreshers on how to properly set tables.

Communication from management to servers is extremely poor. You can expect to work a Saturday double with no break and your manager on duty will more than likely not come to talk to you or offer a reason why without being badgered. An opening server might be expected to close that night seemingly at random with no communication from management either. It is incredibly frustrating to watch servers who clocked in two or three hours after you get cut before you with no explanation and having to feel like the "bad guy" in order
  more... to get some sort of justification.

As I said in the title, this job is a perfect fit for someone who is willing to take a total lack of consistency or respect in stride. If you're the type of person who is willing to work 12+ hours a shift then you might be approached to be a shift leader at some point by your General Manager. However, this distinction is fleeting and is subject to revocation without warning with no explanation or communication from management. Brown nosing is encouraged and will be rewarded with back-pats and more responsibilities, but no additional compensation on the company's part.

Have fun!
Pros
Great food / Wine, Amazing discount if the manager on duty likes you, Okay discount if they don't like you.
Cons
Terminations are frequent and happen suddenly, Lack of consistency
Perfect Place for the Right Person.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2018
I am not that person. It's uber trendy, loud, open til 2 or 3 in the morning and so packed at times that it is literally not possible to do your job. Management was young. I mean, really young. No real leadership on the management team. They seem like they are just hanging out, collecting their paychecks. Nice enough people. Personable. They simply seem to be towing the line. Anyway, I would have adored that place in my 20's. I, however, am not in my 20's. I don't like leaving work at 4 in the morning. I don't want to have to yell at my tables or strain to hear them. It's a cool place. Just not for me.
Great atmosphere and culture
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAFebruary 11, 2018
Working at Barcelona was a great experience. Management, staff, food, and overall culture of the company was top-notch. The restaurant was a staple within our community.
Exciting and Fast Paced
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 1, 2017
I worked at one of the higher volume Barcelona's. When it is busy, you have the opportunity to make great tips! Everyone works as a team, and the customers are usually friendly as well.
The hardest part about working at Barcelona requires you to stay on top of the food and wine menu. When you are hired, you are given a manual and a packet of information explaining all of the core menu dishes, and the wines. You must study each item and be able to answer any questions about an item on the menu (ingredients, preparation, cook time, any background info). You need to know the same about any specials. The menu changes slightly every day with 2-5 new specials.
Pros
Shift meal, food and alcohol discount.
Cons
No breaks when busy, late hours