Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews for Server

competitive but rewarding
server (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2019
I worked for this company for almost a year but had to leave because I was moving to a state without a restaurant concept. It is competitive but worth it all. I became one of the first certified front servers as well as trainers in my store. It is a tough fast paced job but with the right personality you will succeed. They offer training classes and opportunities to advance yourself if you show the initiative.
Pros
50% off discount at both Barcelona and Del friscos
Cons
no breaks...not unusual
Work at own risk
Cathedral Heights, DC - Server (Former Employee) –  ServerOctober 1, 2018
You will learn a lot of fun facts about food and wine however the compensation is LOW for servers. As a server you are required to take on every task in the restaurant while sharing your money with those who only have one job. The managers overstaff so we often have too many people on schedule. Its cool but you can not work here full time if you have to pay rent.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low pay, high turn over of managers and employees. Bussers make more than servers
It was a good productive work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Job was nice management was difficult to deal with very rude I would. Recommend working here if management were nicer but overall the area was convenient
Pros
It has consistent business
Cons
Management not nice
Fun Work Place
Server/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2017
I loved to environment that Barcelona offered not only to guests, but to employees as well. It made me feel part of a family, good company with a good structure behind it.
Pros
Good money
Decent after awhile
Server (Former Employee) –  Inman Park, GAAugust 11, 2017
High turnover, disrespectful managers, fun coworkers nice area. Personally i would work here again if management changed. It takes awhile to make decent money because of their system
One crazy family but they get the job done.
Server (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 28, 2017
Have loved working here. It's a good place to work for extra money in your pocket and they're good about stepping you up in the company if that's what you want.
Great food, great service
Server (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 1, 2017
Barcelona Wine Bar is one of Boston's most popular restaurant/bars. It's important to understand how busy it gets, seriously! You're gonna get your butt kicked working here. But the good part is, everybody gets their butt kicked equally so you get really close to your co-workers, to the point where you'll call it your Barcelona family. There is stress and there is pressure but there are some things that will happen during a shift that will make you feel better than you've ever felt in your life (read: a chef putting aside an extra tapa for you to scarf down in 5 seconds in the back).

I loved this job, the managers are great and treat everyone with respect, which goes so far in making it an enjoyable workplace.
Pros
Great food, great wine education
Cons
No breaks, no sitting, extremely fast pace on weekends
Fast-paced work place with good intent
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 17, 2017
Even as a part-time worker, this job has a tendency to become overwhelming. If you have a lot going on in your life, it may not be the best fit. I enjoyed being able to work a few days a week and making decent compensation. However, outside life sort of swallowed my up and I had to cut my stay short. Management is alright; they gave me a lot of trouble for no valid reason. The people you work with are a hit or a miss. Like any workplace, you really click with some people and others you'd rather stay away from. If you work here for a few years, you can work your way up the ladder. I unfortunately did not have this pleasure as I worked here for less than a year.
Pros
compensation
Cons
short food breaks
Fast Paced and Charming Atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2017
Really fast paced, side work after every shift, management can be strict occasionally, they feed their employees before and after shifts, very diverse, hardest days to work are weekends but you make the most on those days.
Pros
family meals before and after shifts
Cons
no breaks, no talking, management can be strict
Barcelona love
Server (Former Employee) –  WehaApril 21, 2015
I worked at Barcelona for many years while in graduate school, and even while entering my career field. I was able to make great friends, network with guest (not costumers...guest), open restaurants in New England, and also take away extensive knowledge about food and wine.
It was very hard to walk away from the staff that I worked with, as well as the income that I had created for myself, but the long hours, and the lack personal time was something that I was able to easily part from.
This was a great company to work for as I transitioned to into my professional career, and many of my interviewers were impressed that I worked for the Barteca group.
Pros
Staff and income