Barcelona Wine Bar Culture reviews

competitive but rewarding
server (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2019
I worked for this company for almost a year but had to leave because I was moving to a state without a restaurant concept. It is competitive but worth it all. I became one of the first certified front servers as well as trainers in my store. It is a tough fast paced job but with the right personality you will succeed. They offer training classes and opportunities to advance yourself if you show the initiative.
Pros
50% off discount at both Barcelona and Del friscos
Cons
no breaks...not unusual
it a great job
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cathedral Heights, DCDecember 17, 2018
everybody is very friendly and nice and the chef would work with you until you have full understanding of what your job description and you the chef and or your boss would be willing to work with you
A good fit for someone willing to play the game.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2018
If there is one positive thing that I can say about Barcelona, it was that I always had my money right at the Inman Park location. High volume, super busy nights, etc. Of course that comes along with a high-stress, fast-paced environment, but I knew that would be a part of it. Amazing wine education when whoever was in charge that month felt it fit into their schedule. On that note, management changed frequently due to a mixture of expansion and firings.

Home/Work balance is extremely out of whack. Shifts could start as early as 10 am on the weekends and easily run past 2am on the same day. Some weekends breaks were not allowed as management would just continue seating your section through what you expected to be your break time. There are around two mandatory server meetings a month where you will be expected to come in a couple of hours before your shift / on your day off to learn about some random aspect of Barcelona Wine Bar culture. These classes range from genuinely informative wine tastings to hour long refreshers on how to properly set tables.

Communication from management to servers is extremely poor. You can expect to work a Saturday double with no break and your manager on duty will more than likely not come to talk to you or offer a reason why without being badgered. An opening server might be expected to close that night seemingly at random with no communication from management either. It is incredibly frustrating to watch servers who clocked in two or three hours after you get cut before you with no explanation and having to feel like the "bad guy" in order
  more... to get some sort of justification.

As I said in the title, this job is a perfect fit for someone who is willing to take a total lack of consistency or respect in stride. If you're the type of person who is willing to work 12+ hours a shift then you might be approached to be a shift leader at some point by your General Manager. However, this distinction is fleeting and is subject to revocation without warning with no explanation or communication from management. Brown nosing is encouraged and will be rewarded with back-pats and more responsibilities, but no additional compensation on the company's part.

Have fun!
Pros
Great food / Wine, Amazing discount if the manager on duty likes you, Okay discount if they don't like you.
Cons
Terminations are frequent and happen suddenly, Lack of consistency
workplace culture is great and its enjoyable
Sever/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 20, 2018
people come to barcelona expecting great service but also a great time and thats what the staff does its a fun place to work and i love interacting with guest
Great environment
Full-time Bartender (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2018
Great environment, nice coworkers, reliable hours, inconsistant money, nice management, great food, education in spanish wines, fun workplace culture.
Pros
consistant hours
Cons
inconsistant money
Great atmosphere and culture
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAFebruary 11, 2018
Working at Barcelona was a great experience. Management, staff, food, and overall culture of the company was top-notch. The restaurant was a staple within our community.
Great Work Place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Reston, VANovember 28, 2017
While working at Barcelona, I bettered my social skills and meet great people. The managers were very helpful with training and making sure you do everything the correct way. The workplace culture was outstanding. It is a restaurant/ bar for younger people, but older folks love to hang out there as well. They always have good music playing and it is a very fun work place. The hardest part was definitely the take out orders, because there were always people there and because their menu is constantly changing, it was difficult to hear or understand what they are ordering. My favorite part was the chill vibe and atmosphere it gave off.
Pros
Discounts at both Barcelona and Bar Taco
Cons
Lots of standing on your feet
No Summary
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAOctober 21, 2017
I will not go into detail about the Barteca group other to say that it is an amazing group that I wish I could make the life/work balance work better for.
Hands down best company to work for
Boston, Ma AGM/Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2017
Excellent, driven, no BS culture.
Be the best because you're surrounded by the best

Be ready to be ON at all times. No cruise control with this company. You are driving at all times.

Opportunity to shine and develop new skills.

Wine list is sick and you WILL learn every single day
Enjoyable job with bad management
Busser/Barback (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2015
Great job with great money and benifits. Manager was very friendly and helpful. However seemed like a beginner in the restaurant industry.
No ping pong table here
o Executive Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTJanuary 1, 2015
Any chance to have expressed myself as an artist with the respect of another wonderfull cultures influence, I am thankful for.
Productive and Learning Inspired Work Place
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 25, 2014
In the time I spent with Barcelona I learned how to be a team player and a leader. I was able to provide continual support to my co-workers and educate my clients. I learned how to work with high volume crowds and manage my way through stressful situations. One of the hardest parts about my job was the long hours with limited breaks, but that was compensated by customer satisfaction.
Pros
Free Educational Classes, Involved Staff, Great Environment
Cons
Short breaks, Long Hours into the early morning