Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Review

View all Barcelona Wine Bar reviews

A good fit for someone willing to play the game.
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2018
If there is one positive thing that I can say about Barcelona, it was that I always had my money right at the Inman Park location. High volume, super busy nights, etc. Of course that comes along with a high-stress, fast-paced environment, but I knew that would be a part of it. Amazing wine education when whoever was in charge that month felt it fit into their schedule. On that note, management changed frequently due to a mixture of expansion and firings.

Home/Work balance is extremely out of whack. Shifts could start as early as 10 am on the weekends and easily run past 2am on the same day. Some weekends breaks were not allowed as management would just continue seating your section through what you expected to be your break time. There are around two mandatory server meetings a month where you will be expected to come in a couple of hours before your shift / on your day off to learn about some random aspect of Barcelona Wine Bar culture. These classes range from genuinely informative wine tastings to hour long refreshers on how to properly set tables.

Communication from management to servers is extremely poor. You can expect to work a Saturday double with no break and your manager on duty will more than likely not come to talk to you or offer a reason why without being badgered. An opening server might be expected to close that night seemingly at random with no communication from management either. It is incredibly frustrating to watch servers who clocked in two or three hours after you get cut before you with no explanation and having to feel like the "bad guy" in order
  more... to get some sort of justification.

As I said in the title, this job is a perfect fit for someone who is willing to take a total lack of consistency or respect in stride. If you're the type of person who is willing to work 12+ hours a shift then you might be approached to be a shift leader at some point by your General Manager. However, this distinction is fleeting and is subject to revocation without warning with no explanation or communication from management. Brown nosing is encouraged and will be rewarded with back-pats and more responsibilities, but no additional compensation on the company's part.

Have fun!
Pros
Great food / Wine, Amazing discount if the manager on duty likes you, Okay discount if they don't like you.
Cons
Terminations are frequent and happen suddenly, Lack of consistency

Other Barcelona Wine Bar Employee Reviews

Barcelona Wine Bar
Server/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAMay 21, 2019
Excellent place to work with a vibrant environment. A typical day at work would be extremely busy, filled with quick-paced tasks that need to be completed in a timely manner.
Great atmosphere
Front Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2019
First I want to say that I was not even remotely familiar with Barcelona prior to getting an interview. i was in need of a job and they were hiring.

The interview went well. I was very clear with what I was seeking and it was made very clear to me that Barcelona fit the bill, to a t. I accepted a serving position and began training.

It took me no time at all to realize that much of what was told me in the interview was not really how things worked, in reality. Things like late nights and club like atmosphere. I am not interested in working in a night club. Not interested in being at work at 4 in the morning. Was told that isn't what they were and that 4 a.m. would never happen. It all happened first week. SO.. ok, that sucks... it's not the perfect fit I thought it would be.

The work itself though, was just standard restaurant work. It was fine. Money, was hit or miss. You gotta get through the testing to be a front server to make any money, there. Cool. Whatever. That is true in many restaurants.

Often turns clubby after I'd say 9 or so. Restaurant stays open til local law says you must make last call. 3 am, at my location. There has to be a server on duty til 3 am. Often just sitting around for hours doing absolutely nothing. No customers. No tips. Just hours of waiting so in an empty dining room. Often getting one drunk table that just wants to chill... Again, cool. Just not for me.

Company offers great education in wines, if you are wanting and willing to learn. Mandatory wine classes and lots of wine talk. It's a wine bar, after all.

more... I can say is know what you are getting in to, in terms of hours and expectations. If you are cool with the things that I have mentioned, Barcelona might be exactly what you are looking for.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barcelona Wine Bar. Our community is ready to answer.