Bare Escentuals Employee Reviews

Love the makeup! Hate the environment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  NHMarch 21, 2019
While I loved the product , I did not enjoy the sales culture. For a company that’s all about the “girlfriend” experience, they really drop the ball with their employees. Dealing with mostly women is hard in any workplace but if you aren’t the type to claw your way to the top , don’t work here.
Pros
Good Makeup
Cons
Petty coworkers, Poor Management
Great Job, not guaranteed hours
Retail Selling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington StateMarch 21, 2019
Love my job, but hours can be taken away at any moment, so not much sense of security. That is the only downside, but it comes with having a freelancing job. Other than that, I love my manager and the schedule flexibility.
Business review
District Manager (Former Employee) –  NY/CTFebruary 27, 2019
Everyday brought me self help as I was able to improve and develop my team as well as improve the self worth of customers that came in with debilitating diseases and extremely depressed and walked out feeling beautiful and smiling.
Toxic environment
Assistant Boutique Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 15, 2019
Time flew by; there were always lots of things to do to stay busy. Beautiful boutique and I loved the product. Lots of paperwork; used a segment report where the day was broken down into 2 hour segments and every hour we had to document metrics. Gave chat ins and chat outs. Coaching employees was a huge part of job. Loved working at bars Minerals. The benefits were great but we received very little gratis. Coworkers were great for the most part. Manager was awful- don’t even know where to start! Rude, condescending, micromanaged EVERYTHING. Played favorites based on personal relationships not professional. Took several vacations during prime times. Never took responsibility for anything. Blamed staff for shortcomings. Made very derogatory comments to employees.
Pros
Great staff for the most part; great clients
Cons
Manager, no gratis
For the love of Bare
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2019
It's a culture of women and men who are empowered by making each other feel confident and beautiful in everything you do. The company did a great job of informing you of what the goals/plans were for the next Quarter, allowing you time to turn around and teach field team the same message or plan of execution. Staying focused on what you can control versus what you could not.
Pros
Great products to feel proud of, great channels of distribution to work with.
Nice people
Auditor, packer, assembly line (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 2, 2019
Typical day is a couple of meeting on whats to be done that day. And accomplish it. I learned how to audit partals and stocking. Hardest part was the location.
Pros
The paid was good
Cons
Postions
Loved working here !!!
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2019
It was really great experience to work in BE. Learned a lot and my manager was great. She always supported and motivated me. I was happy to be part of my team and had always work life balance.
Pros
Good place to work, good compensation
Lack of Advancement
operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2019
Lots of open roles, process of internal movement very tedious, managers do not groom you for the next step, lack of advancement, roles become boring and not challenging .
Pros
Pro women, great benefits, pro life/work balance
Cons
lack of internal mobility
district and boutique manager
SouthwestDistrict Manager/ Boutique Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 15, 2019
loved the brand! environment was strong and fast paced. I could be creative and determine the needs of my store to drive business. developed people and created strong teams
Horrible since Shiseido took over
Assistant Boutique Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJanuary 13, 2019
Shiseido does not care about bare and runs it as if it were the black sheep of the family. Corporate can't hold anyone in a position long enough to be remembered, communication is lacking and often doesn't reach the store level.
They'll Lie to Get You in the Door
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 8, 2019
The workplace culture is cut-throat, they are not consistent in how they pay people who do the same job, and the district managers play favoritism with their highest volume stores. If you're looking to grow in your artistry, this is not the place to do it. It used to be, but they've transitioned to a solely selling model. They'll teach you the absolute basics and then send you out on your own. As long as you make your numbers, that's all they care about but nothing is going to protect you from being a scapegoat and getting thrown under the bus to protect the managers. If it suits their agenda, they'll build you up and promise you promotions, and as soon as they see they won't get what they want out of helping you, they'll throw you aside and gaslight you to make you think it's your fault when the numbers say otherwise. If you're looking for upward mobility, this is not going to happen while working for this company. They are closing MANY stores and they have over saturated the cosmetic market to the point where they're literally hurting their boutiques and overall earnings and for some reason just can't understand why or how despite the fact that as a consumer (you can buy a perfectly good, $30 foundation in the same mall at Sephora or Sephora in JCPenny, at Ulta or 5 minutes from a boutique at TJ Maxx at a discount for maybe $7.)

The employee discount is nice, but that's about it.
Pros
Discount Makeup
Cons
corporate gaslighting, no upward mobility, intimidation, poor pay, terrible management
not the best experience
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New HampshireDecember 27, 2018
the work life balance is obviously there because the company barely gives any hours to employees unless you're GM or Assistant GM. also NO benefits whatsoever. its somewhat fun work because you're in a cosmetic field which i personally love but i did not like my store, it was a catty environment, and my GM was way too selfish with the scheduling of the store and even with sales goals, which are unrealistic btw, as the company is on a downward spiral since its unable to keep up with the times with their products.
fuhn workplace
Beauty Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 17, 2018
this place is great if you're wanting to get started in the beauty industry. Management was really kind and they help you out with whatever you may need.
Pros
free makeup
Cons
have to work holidays
Slow paced, terrible management
Beauty Ambassador (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 30, 2018
I worked here for 4 months,I planned to work there alot longer but management got so bad to the point where It was unbearable. Hours are only good if low staffed for the week,and also based on your sales,if you sale above what you're supposed to the next week you may get a few more hours. Pretty lenient when it comes to taking time off but its first come first serve literally! The last Month i was there was the worst, got a new manager and coworkers were telling me there were racial issues with her but I disregarded them until they left and then I started to be picked on. Which was my motive for leaving. The boutique manager knew there was issues amongst employees but sometimes turned a blind eye.The stores in your district compete so much to the point where they feel the need to micro manage and managers tend to be fake friends to each other its actually hilarious.
Pros
Employee Discount, flexible scheduling, occasional gratis
Cons
Pay and hours dont match, Micro Managing
Never again
Key Holder/ Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 24, 2018
I LOVEEEEEE BE as a brand, the products are amazinnnnnng!
But the management SUCKS! I worked @pentagon city for 4 months. It was great cause I got two promotions while I was there. The store manager that was there was the bomb! she was super fair and understanding. After she left the temp SM "AT" showed soooooo much favoritism to the other temp ASM cause they was besties and brand ambassador "AG". Well its was a number of ppl who got into issues with "AG" and "AT" DID NOTHING ABOUT IT! she changed my availability without speaking to me about it n lie to the district manager stating that she spoke to me about things and then came and talked to me about it two weeks later.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
productive environment, mostly friendly and collaborative
Key Holder Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cabazon, CANovember 8, 2018
I am still employed here and enjoy my duties in this collaborative retail setting. I am looking for a full time position which Bare Essentuals does not provide.
Pros
Free products (gratis)
Cons
some benefits not provided to part time employees
very fun job
Beauty Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 5, 2018
very fun place to work, i love bare minerals if i could have gotten the position i was told id be getting i would stay. it is not a great job if you need a full time job
Good entry level in cosmetic sales
Seasonal Beauty Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJOctober 26, 2018
Great for experience and exposure in the industry, not really sustainable for the long term. It's best to apply during the holiday season because that's when they do the most hires.
Fun place
Make-up Artist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 24, 2018
Loved working there but wasn’t enough money. Not enough hours. Only could work a minimum of six hours if you wasn’t a key holder or in management. Also got to go to a makeup boot camp where I got free samples of makeup as well.
Pros
Free makeup
Cons
Not enough hours
Great place!
Beauty Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Augusta-Richmond County, GAOctober 22, 2018
Love working here, best job this far in my cosmetics career! We have fun and enjoy each other’s company. I love working here mainly for my love of cosmetics, but it’s also nice to have a good group of coworkers.
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
None yet!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bare Escentuals. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight