Bargain Hunt Employee Reviews

Awful job
Warehouse management (Current Employee) –  Antioch, TNAugust 29, 2018
Could not recommend not working in the supply chain strongly enough. Toxic culture. HR does not look out for employees and farthers toxic management. An absolute cesspool. Compensation is severely under what it should be. Managers frequently lie and change criteria and expect subordinates to take the fall. Miserable environment with awful management.
Bargain Hunt Forever
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 30, 2018
The nice thing about Bargain Hunt is the direction it is going. It has been improving their standards, and their product mix. Over my several years with the company I have seen a lot change, and it's been for the better. They provide great benefits, and there is a quality feeling from the top to the bottom on respect and care. This is a company you'd want to be with.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, and Opportunity
Cons
Personal
Cut throat and drama filled environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 31, 2018
Would not recommend to anyone. They over work you for only $9 an hour. You will not receive any benefits. They promise quick advancement which they do not.
Over worked and under paid
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAJune 12, 2018
Company has issues with communication and training. NO training programs. Terrible pay and worse benefits. No guidance from upper management and stressful work place environment.
Pros
Employee discout 20%
Cons
Leadership is poor and communication is non existent
An expanding company that feels almost local
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHSeptember 8, 2018
The Bargain Hunt store chain has many good points and a similar number of detractors, The staff is very personable and easy to get along with, But getting anywhere with management can be a nightmare, There's no inventory control really for the stores so it tends to have backstock on things they can't put out due to size limitations. Some stores are very low quality, Mostly due to lack of motivation in their staffs. But overall the quality of the stores and their employees depends from store to store.
Pros
Agreeable and personable staff, Half hour Lunches
Cons
Lack of inventory control, Building quality
Unorganized, dishonest, don't care about employees
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GANovember 14, 2018
Dishonest management, very low pay for all the stuff you have to put up with. Constantly cutting hours and unrealistic expectations.

I went to work every day and gave them max effort and worked very hard to get things done with little to no thanks or recognition.

Overworked and underpaid. Management does not take care of their employees and are always playing favorites.

I would not recommend this job if you are looking for a future with a company that has integrity and takes care of their employees.
Unless you’re desperate, STAY AWAY!!!!!
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 14, 2018
As the title states, unless you’re desperate for a job that pays extremely low wage, hardly few to no hours, no breaks, or you’re in high school just starting out in the job market: STAY AWAY!!!

This is NOT a job that will pay you well. Dealing with low income families, drug addicts, and thefts isn’t worth being paid $9 an hour. Management will do everything in their power to refuse you a break. By law you’re allowed a break but oftentimes I didn’t get to take mine. Working 6 hours or more you’re allowed a 30 minute in-paid break but you’ll never receive it. They’ll work you 6 hours on the dot no more no less. Their “policies” on calling out is borderline illegal. You’re basically allowed one call out you’re entire tenure if you called out again you’re fired. Sick? Family emergency? Unexpected emergency? Oh well if you call out you’re risking your job. I can understand people abusing the call out option to just not want to show up to work but when you have an honest to God emergency, an act of God happens, or you’re genuinely sick they really don’t care. Time off? Good luck getting anything approved.

Getting full time is impossible. I was told only store managers are allowed full time. You WILL NOT have any opportunities for advancement. Cashiers, assemblers, or sales floor are all part time and do not receive many hours. I was given 15 hours at most. That is NOT enough hours to make a living wage. Extremely short shifts.
Pros
Cons
Extremely low wages. No breaks. Cannot call out unless you want to be fired. No hours.
Run, run fast!!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 14, 2018
This company is going down hill fast. They will back stab you so fast, and change policies all the time. Managers talk bad about everyone and love to hire friends and family. Hire known felons and then make them managers. They will not last long.
Pros
PTO when you can, paid breaks, good discounts
Cons
Very low pay with no praise for good attention
Staff is great, Management isnt
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 19, 2018
The management team all trusts each other and trusts none of their workers when the managers sit in the office all day and the workers keep the clothes off the ground and merchandise on the shelves but are still singled out for small projects the manager requested that dont move the store forward at all or keep it presentable. The store is a mess generally.
Pros
good deals. good coworkers.
Cons
bad managers. terrible situation to be in.
It is an OK company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 10, 2018
The workplace is always messy and unorganized. There is hardly any employees in the store, before and after I stopped working there. Management was not that great and all over the place, did not help when you asked for it. I did not learn anything while I worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job, was definitely some of the people I worked with. They made the job 10x better.
Pros
no pros
Cons
short staffed, unorganized, not clean
Started Off Fine Then Went Down
Sales associate/cashier (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 21, 2017
I worked at Bargain Hunt for a little over 2 years. Never once did I get a raise until the new manager came in. Only benefits were for full time managers.
But it was a friendly atmosphere to work in.
Pros
When new shipments come in on the trucks employees can get first pick
Cons
Short breaks, New management, No raises
Fun unloading and unpacking boxes observing new mdse. Enjoyed helping and speaking with customers no
Cashier and stock (Former Employee) –  Erlanger, KYSeptember 4, 2018
Typical day at work on day shift was to unload mdse from skids and distribute for display and sale while continuously retrieving displaced items and returning to thier correct area. Doing this familiarized me with location of items in store for customer direction.
Night shift was concentrated on cleaning andi reorganizing. Stocking was fun. Another enjoyable part of job was meeting, speaking
and helping customers to
Pros
Extreme fun unpacking new mdse
Cons
Lifting some of the heavier mdse
Flexible Schedule, great place for learning fundamentals of retail.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Heath, OHNovember 24, 2018
Bargain Hunt offers a flexible schedule paired with understanding. Daily meeting are held to go over store objectives as well as group focused projects and individual projects. Entry level position is great for newcomers to the workforce, teaching them functions on register as well as sales floor. Employees not limited to knowledge of one area but encouraged to learn all areas.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Part-time
Workplace culture
Stock Associate/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALAugust 17, 2018
Very little logic was applied to daily assignments by the manager. The associates did not move with a purpose. The job was too simplistic and offered no challenge other than dealing with the Illogical direction of management.
Pros
Discounts and Flexible scheduling
Cons
Lack of logical and common sense direction by management.
Everything Changed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 26, 2018
Bargain Hunt WAS the best employer ever until an investment group took over. The culture changed for the worse. The man that started the company was forced out along with those that helped create the great work environment. I was lied to in writing
Awful Upper Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 15, 2018
The store would fall into pieces daily. I would always be called in even if it was my only off day. They would call me in every night because no one else could ever close the store not even the store manager. I was a 3rd key holder.... and it was the worst experience of my life there. I advanced fast there within 4 months of employment i was already a manager (which I see why, since no one there ever worked or could do anything in the store themselves.) I would always have lots of overtime (that I would get in trouble for) even though they would literally call me in every night to close the store. Who knew counting 3000 in the safe every night and the 2 registers down was so hard for anyone. Wouldn't recommend this place unless you are fresh out of high school and just want a job to work threw college or just to figure out what you want to do with your life.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Work life, Hours, Pay, Management
Fun yet unstable.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 14, 2018
Shifting hours. Good people. Sometimes worked literally 1 day out of a week. For about 3 weeks I think. Manager almost got me in trouble for something I didn't do. $9 an hour. Slow paced. A little groggy. Fun when fun.
Pros
2 Free 15 minute breaks.
Cons
You could not hold a house working here as an employee. Unpaid Lunches.
Fun Workplace, yet terrible pay and sub-par management.
Electronics Salesman (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 25, 2017
Bargain Hunt is a really fun place to work and there is room for advancement, but the standard pay rate hasn't increased -- while the business has. Asking for any sort of raise in pay is laughable to management -- Even when you have been there for a long time.
Pros
Flexible Schedules, Relaxed Work Environment
Cons
Bad Management, Pay sucks
Run
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 19, 2018
1. Most dysfunctional management system of a company in place to date.
2. No inventory system in place....shrinkage is off the charts!! Anything is subject to leave the store, I even found a $240.00 Dyson Air Filtration System missing from it's box & it was at least 3ft tall.
3. Employees work without proper training & have no respect for management structure (making for chaotic situations)!!
4. Schedules are atrocious, leaving no room to have a life.....literally!!
5. One last comment: "Can you say Vammoose"?
Fun but depends on the store
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJune 20, 2017
I worked as a cashier so I just checked people out. Most of the people who come in are nice. They don't train very well so I recommend you have a little job experience if not it's ok just make sure you ask plenty of questions.It's a fun work place sometimes you and a coworker can play with the stuff in the store. My store management was terrible the store manager was never there and most managers couldn't count hours so many breaks were a challenge to take.
Pros
sometimes managers order pizza, no real work uniform just put on an apron, easy work
Cons
management is disorganized, only pays 8$ an hour for non management roles, no real work benefits just get 10% off purchases, weird work policies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bargain Hunt. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

1.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight