Barkman Honey Employee Reviews

Very Sad Representation of the Apiculture Industry
Beekeeper (Former Employee) –  Michigan and FloridaMarch 15, 2019
This company gives an overall impression of more care for their profits at the expense of the poorly treated employees. Starting out, they will promise all these benefits and great procedures. But if you ever work with this company (or it's sister company, Barkman Apiaries) for very long, you'll quickly find many "inconsistencies" or empty promises. There is a lot of hard work involved, if you're looking for it. But, for how much they work you combined with how much they like to pay their employees, they unnecessarily throw fits when you take needed breaks. And if provided temporary housing, it's lacking at best.
Pros
Working outside, Many Hours
Cons
Little to No Recognition, Low Pay, Getting Stung by honeybees
Company Has Changed
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSMarch 13, 2019
Barkman used to be a strong, growing family business. Not anymore. Money is gone and jobs were cut in Q3 of 2018. Management does not communicate truthfully. Morale is low and turnover is high.
Pros
Small company
Cons
Low pay, high turnover
Not What I Thought
Office (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSJanuary 7, 2019
Most Enjoyable
Barkman has a thorough on-boarding process conducted by HR to ensure new hires know where everything is and what the expectations are; something that larger organization sometimes lack. HR also takes the time to introduce new team members to the various departments, and people they may need to get in touch with. Team Members are then expected to spend ample time getting new hires trained properly, which seems to be frequent occurrence out in manufacturing given the high turnover rate which often accompanies factory-type work.

Workplace Culture
The core values of honesty, integrity, respect and servant-hood are the mantra of the organization, and values most people would agree with, however Supervisors and the Leadership Team have unrealistic expectations of meeting these which often means employees are chided for seemingly minor infractions, making it an uncomfortable and stifling place to work. It is expected that team members have a good attitude ALWAYS, and having a bad day is unacceptable.

What I Learned
Just because a company publicizes themselves as a Christian organization doesn’t mean they’re perfect. This company has its flaws just like all do. Due to poor Management decisions approximately 6% of their workforce lost their jobs due to layoff last year, and for a company with only 140-ish total employees that’s significant.

All in all I learned a lot working here and am grateful for the opportunity, as it ended up being a stepping stone to my current job without which might not have happened.
Pros
Number of PTO Days Offered, Responsiveness of IT Department, Small Town Environment
Cons
Unstable, Restrictive Culture, Poor Communication, Unreasonable Expectations, Leadership Team lacks Integrity
Quiet and clean workplace
Processing Manager (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYNovember 25, 2018
Managers and employees are responsible for cleaning the warehouse and production line daily, keeping the work environment clean and safe. In addition, there are only a few employees working at a time, therefore there is plenty of space and opportunity to communicate with each other as well as with superiors.
Pros
Welcoming environment, new skills to learn, beginning of retail shop
Cons
Short breaks throughout the workday which can lead to a loss of focus
Productive and fast paced work environment.
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSMarch 26, 2018
Good place to work. From start to finish very fast paced. Must have close attention to detail and the ability to be on your feet and make quick decisions on the production line. Heavy emphasis on safety. quality, accuracy, and performance of the product and the machinery. Friendly atmosphere. Family oriented. Must be a problem solver and able to communicate effectively with others on the team. The hardest part of the job for me was starting out at entry level and being able to support myself. The most enjoyable part is knowing at the end of the day everyone pulls together and we do a great job.
small town bueracacy
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSDecember 23, 2016
dumb human resources. two faced people. idiotic ignorant owners. stupid management. narrow minded back stabbing Christians. terrible turnover rates due to lack of sensible hiring team
Terrific Company with Great Values
Supply Chain Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSMay 4, 2016
Barkman Honey is what most companies strive to be. They not only respect their employees but ask for and value their opinions. They have a set of core values that include honesty, integrity, respect, and servanthood and they use these values to shape the character of the organization. Every decision is based on these principles. They are a small company that fosters development and advancement from within. The work environment is collaborative and friendly, yet serious and fast paced when it needs to be. What I’ve enjoyed most about working at Barkman Honey is the constant growth that I’ve been shown. They continue to provide me with opportunity to learn and grow both personally and professionally. I am always presented with stimulating and challenging work that makes my job feel both meaningful and fulfilling.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, Great Benefits, Great Work Environement, Small Community, Great Company Values.
Cons
Family-like workplace, Great Benefits!
Packaging Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 22, 2016
Days at Barkman honey are very fast paced, and upbeat. Its important to learn how to change with the market and whats in demand, were adding more and different labels everyday, as well as different sizes of containers. Most co-workers meet you with a smile and a "Good morning". The workload during our busy season can be challenging at times, but its good to know that people are buying and love our product! Its enjoyable coming to work at a place that cares about you as a person, and its rewarding watching other team members grow around you and doing things as a team.
Pros
Family atmosphere, Great benefits!
Cons
Long days during busy season
Relaxed, fun office atmosphere. High committment to excellence.
Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 22, 2016
I have enjoyed working at Barkman for many years. While there is a very high performance expectation level when necessary, management seems compassionate & understanding of realities and appropriately adjusts. I have experienced a much better work/life balance over the course of the last few years. Barkman strives to work with you to properly match up your natural talents & skill set with the right position if at all possible. I do look forward to going to work every day and being around competent, personable co-workers makes for a pleasant environment. I appreciate the low key, relaxed office setting which allows me considerable freedom to dress comfortably. People overall are unselfish and I’ve never experienced the back stabbing, climb the corporate ladder at all costs mentality in any of my co-workers over the years as you may find in other companies. My feeling is the benefits are above average with great, low cost insurance and a 401-k program. I left one of the largest, multi-national food companies to come here many years ago and I’ve never regretted that decision. If you can consistently perform at a high level and enjoy working with competent, fun loving people who seem to personally care about you, perhaps you too may find a rewarding career working for Barkman honey.
Pros
Somewhat flexible work schedule, relaxed workplace
A challenging workplace environment that engages multiple levels of skill sets.
Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 22, 2016
A day's work does not typically follow a set routine for Compliance. It involves some critical records review prior to filing then on to projects with either daily, weekly, monthly or annual needs. Third party audits are an essential piece to verify we are maintaining compliance to specific requirements. Attention to detail is important as well as self motivation and time management. Skills learned revolve around the needs of the position which include use of computer skills with Word, Excell, Visio, Power Point, Publisher, and use of scanners and faxing. Barkman Honey provides external training as needed.
Management is supportive of the needs of workers to ensure they have tools and resources needed to complete their tasks. As with any company, there are those who feel management is unfair. Everyone makes mistakes and management works with you to help you learn and grow to fulfill the needs of the company.
Co-workers are dedicated and hardworking and many have personal friendships outside of the work environment. Most are able to work together to find solutions to issues that arise from work challenges.
The hardest part of the job often involves crisis management when a non-compliance issue arises as investigation and resolution are time consuming.
The most enjoyable part of this job often comes with a successful third party audit that validates a year-round effort of all employees to maintain compliance.
Pros
Good Health Insurance coverage
A great opportunity to work for this company everyday
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
This company works as hard for you as you do for them...I have never been happier going to work everyday. Very proud to be where I am.
Pros
Great Family Environment
Cons
None so far
Great workplace with wonderful people
Accounts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
Each day brings new and exciting challenges. Every worker does their part to expand and grow the business. The managers are the best you can find. I have never had any problems communicating with any of my supervisors. I find my co-workers respectful and fun to work with. I am put in the position where I can use the most of my skillset so I never feel out of place. I have no regrets on my decision to come to work here.
Pros
Healthcare, Paid Time Off, Good co-workers and Managers
Cons
Busy season can get busy
Casual Work Environment and an Exciting Company Future
Junior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 21, 2016
At Barkman, you know all of your coworkers and it is easy to see how you fit in to the bigger picture of the company. With very few people sharing your work responsibilities, you can observe how your individual work impacts the company as a whole which is very rewarding. Depending on the position, you may also have a broader scope of responsibilities than at a larger company.

In many ways, Barkman feels like a company in transition from being a small family-run company to being a medium-sized company. Upper management is focused on growth and modernization and they have proven to be effective at achieving both. This helps to create an exciting workplace.

All levels of management have been reasonable and approachable making for minimal office tension.

However, promotion by way of a position change can be slow and unstructured given that there are likely only a handful of positions in any given department.

Overall, my experience at Barkman Honey has been very satisfying.
Pros
Casual work environment; Rewarding work
Cons
Position advancement can be slow
Truely one of my best working experiences ever!
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  SW FloridaApril 21, 2016
Barkman Honey has given me the avenue I have been looking for to stretch me as a person and to someday reach my full potential! I have learned so much in the few months I have been with Barkman and have experienced nothing but encouragement and assistance from management and fellow team members. The most enjoyable thing about working at Barkman is the core values and beliefs that govern how this company is guided and operated. Going to work each day with fellow team members that believe and live out the same core values that I believe in such as Family, Community and Integrity! I finally wake up in the morning excited to come to work.
Pros
Great staff, from the CEO to all the team members!
Cons
Have not found any cons yet
Great Company
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
What a rare find! A no nonsense company that uses logic, research, and common sense before making decisions. Employees and management are friendly, respectful, and down to earth. They take pride in providing high quality products. An overall great place to work.
Lots of opportunity to learn and grow, great values
Office (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
I am so fortunate to have the opportunity to work at Barkman Honey. I had no idea before I started working here that such a sophisticated, great company could be headquartered here in small town Kansas (no offense Hillsboro). There is a ton of opportunity here and if you work hard and have a good attitude, you will succeed.

We are growing, and while exciting, there sometimes doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day to get everything done! Thankfully I feel like management has heard that we are overwhelmed and is really trying give us the resources we need to get our jobs done.
Pros
Culture, Flexibility, Benefits, Growth & Opportunity
Cons
So busy!
Great company - Good benefits - Global presence
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
This is a great company to work for and I would highly recommend it to others. Everyone here is very professional in their duties, yet the atmosphere is somewhat laid back (jeans are typical dress for all departments). My co-workers are all hard workers, but also enjoyable work teammates.

Barkman Honey is very progressive, utilizing up to date technology across the board, where it is deemed beneficial. We are a located in a small town, but don't be fooled. We are a global presence in honey industry. There are a variety of opportunities available.

The hardest part of my job was learning new software, but I also had the support of management to take my time to learn it correctly, and therefore make fewer mistakes. Support came from all in my department as well as other departments.

Work times vary and you can find one that is right for you. They understand family is important and try to work with you, when possible, as schedule conflicts arise (such as a parent teacher conference).

The benefits are very good, and I believe more than many other area employers. PTO, health and dental insurance,and other benefits. PTO for community service of your choice is an awesome benefit!

Barkman Honey is a Christian based company. Certainly non-Christians are welcome, but the trait of service and servant leadership is important- customer service, community service, service to our vendors, etc. The Barkman family believes in it, and so do all who work here.
Pros
I LOVE that we are given paid time off (16 hours each year) to do community service work
Cons
Sometimes I don't take breaks, which is actually good, because that means we are busy - we are thriving!
Great atmosphere, Family focused
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
The company has a great atmosphere, you feel like you have worked here forever (in a good way). Everyone is very friendly and helpful.
The management appears to have a good focus for the future of the company and is supportive of team members reaching goals/potential.
Comfortable atmosphere with friendly team members.
Office Personnel (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
I enjoy working for an organization with such a sense of company community. Team members often will go out of their way to help a co-worker succeed which is something I haven’t experienced at other jobs.

I’ve already learned a lot about the industry and been given multiple opportunities to step outside my comfort zone and try my hand at new tasks that have helped broaden my skill set, and given me a stronger sense of self-worth.

I would certainly recommend employment with Barkman Honey to a friend looking for a relaxed but professional workplace offering opportunities for stability and growth.
Pros
Small-Town/Family Atmosphere
Great staff
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSApril 21, 2016
I love the people I work with in the front office. The work environment is quiet making it easy to concentrate. The benefits package is great, my hours are predictable, the break room is large and equipped with 4 microwaves, 2 vending machines with snacks and drinks, a full kitchen and two fridges. My work load is realistic and not too demanding. I am able to take off for Dr. appointments without trouble. They provide top of the line technology and supplies for all my office needs. The owners are also very generous and give us gifts throughout the year (like meat, books, produce). As a whole, the company is very generous.
Pros
Generous
Cons
not much communication from management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barkman Honey. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.2InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

4.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Barkman Honey Reviews by Location