Barnes & Noble College Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
a good starting job but no chance for a career
Cafe bookseller (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 9, 2018
This is a good place to start working for someone who is entering the work force. However, the benefits for its employees are pathetic. Employees have absolutely nothing. with the amount of work the expect us to do the pay needs to be higher and benefits need to be made available to them.
Nice work environment
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Typically the store runs smoothly and everyone there is easy to talk to and dedicated to fixing any problem you have. Learning the ropes are a bit tricky at first but its not that difficult.
relaxed
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge, GAJuly 2, 2018
This was by far the best job I've ever had. The environment was very friendly. A typical day at work included giving students their texbooks, unloading the books that came in the mail, making sure everything was stocked and clean.
Fun but minimum wage and boring work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 30, 2018
This was my first job and it’s very easy. As a cashier I just ring people up and watch over the store. Getting paid so little is the only problem. Because they primarily employ sudents, they can afford to pay them the absolute minimum and with taxes that equal little to nothing. There is no opportunity to advance either unless you want to be there forever, not even a raise. I have worked there two years and nothing.
Multi-tasking & customer service focused
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 28, 2018
This job is not hard, but busy. My only complaint is that I cannot pay my bills. I am not getting enough pay/hr or enough hours/week. I like the products, the customers & the people I work with just fine.
Pros
Management will work with your schedule
Cons
low pay & few hours/wk
Great working team environment
Inventory Management - Senior Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJJune 26, 2018
I was mainly unsupervised while working on the project although we had bi-weekly progress report meetings or had short conference calls related to budget and/or hardware/software licensing issues. I enjoyed working for this company.
Nice, Efficient, and Organized
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAJune 21, 2018
As a seasonal worker they give you schedules immediately, you make a decent amount of money, and they scheduling hours are pretty nice. If you are in school they work with your schedule.
Nice job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXJune 21, 2018
I was a cashier and I work in the textbook section helping students get the books they needed for their classes. The only time the job can get stressful is doing the first three weeks of school as well as the week before school starts. Other than that, it’s really chill.
Flexible job
Temporary Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 19, 2018
The job is flexible with hours. It paid well at the time and it was in a college setting so the environment was enjoyable. The job was fairly fast paced and required you to be on your feet constantly.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Poor management
Solid employer...for retail.
Textbook Manager (Former Employee) –  Sewanee, TNJune 17, 2018
I don't really have anything negative to say about BNCB. Good experience with fair upper management. Best part was working with faculty at the university. Left to change careers.
Pros
Fair, flexible retailer
Cons
Work-life balance
no reveiw
Bookseller and Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAJune 12, 2018
company is okay but salary is little low. I have nothing else to say please move on this is my review,. This part of the review I di d not appreciate .. I do not have time for this.
Pros
flex items
Cons
salary
Could do better
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 12, 2018
My personal experiance was one I unfortunately did not enjoy, they can at times be unfair to you for minuscule details. Overall, I enjoyed my time there but management still has some ways to go before properly executing a humans relations approach to their management style.
Pros
Discounts on books, etc.
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Basic academic retail job
Textbook Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29208June 7, 2018
No frills retail with different rush season as it follows the academic year. Each location is different, as different sized schools have different needs. As I wasn't a student, I was promoted to a supervisor position quickly, but have little indication of further training or advancement at this point.
Cons
Retail, but the customers are forced to buy so no one is happy
Easy going place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 6, 2018
Easy campus job to have, non-stressful. Unfortunately this store has gone out of business but it definitely helped me pay my bills. Easiest and least stressful retail job I've had.
Fun place for working college kids
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 5, 2018
Great place to work if you are attending college and need a job to pay for food and books. People there are great, management is great, and the staff is friendly and a huge help, especially if you don't know to read the shelf tags to find your books.
Productive and rewarding work experience
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 3, 2018
Typically work day is productive and rewarding to serve the college community. Fast paced and friendly atmosphere. Management is acceptable. Learning the day to day operations of the book store business is enjoyable.
Pros
Gaining valuable work experience
Cons
Minimum work hours
Good place to w\ork. Recommended.
Accountint (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJMay 29, 2018
I worked there too long ago to review but at that time it was a good place to work. The company organization was funtional and effective management. Compensation was good.
Pros
Overall good place to work.
Best Job Ever
Bookstore Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Herkimer, NYMay 23, 2018
I loved my bosses and working at Barnes and Noble. I highly recommend this position to anyone who loves to read and help others. The company had great discounts.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
N/a
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Annville, PAMay 21, 2018
It was very flexible with timing which was great for being in college. It was a friendly work environment that made work enjoyable to attend on any day.
Company culture is focused on the customer
General Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2018
Lenient management culture truly focused on the customer experience and providing services to the campus community. Strong HR department that is willing to accommodate employees, but also counsels up or out (only when necessary).
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Minimal advancement opportunity within upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble College. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight