Barnes & Noble College Employee Reviews

Temp for Rush Season
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 24, 2018
A lot of hours in the beginning because of rush season but hours slowly started diminishing. Only a select few were kept. Had to be one of those customer service oriented
SCSU Not Pleasant
Temp book store (Former Employee) –  SCSUNovember 21, 2018
The management of the bookstore leaves a lot to be desired. You will be spoken to as though you are a child. The individuals who are in charge of the floor staff are demeaning and often times quite rude.
Pros
Temporary
Cons
Everything else. Not team players by any means.
A good first job
Online textbook sales (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32816November 19, 2018
I worked at the bookstore on campus in the textbook department. It was a seasonal job, but it was great experience to add to a resume. It could get crazy, but it wasn't a bad experience.
High stress little reward
AP Representative (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJNovember 18, 2018
Management in some areas can be petty and cruel when you speak up and use the open door policy. You are encouraged to speak up and voice your opinions but then you are penalized for speaking up.
High Accountability/Low Pay
TEXTBOOK DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 12, 2018
Pay is based on the sales volume of the store, so merit is not taken into account when considering a raise. Raise is about $0.25/hr given once a year. When sales are lower, part time employees are not scheduled to come in, so the responsibility for the entire store falls to the full time employees.
Pros
benefits, good training
Cons
low pay, long hours
Pretty relaxed.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 7, 2018
make coffee or make food items for customers
learned how to make fancy coffee.
i thoroughly enjoyed my job, just wasn't going anywhere with it receive discounts on everything in the store.
productive, fun and interesting workplace.
Book seller\cashier (Former Employee) –  Niceville, FLNovember 5, 2018
over all experience working at Barnes & Nobles College Bookstore was pleasant. Enjoyed working with the College students, faculty, and staff members. My team members were great to work with and my management team was wonderful. Great environment to work in and while it can get busy during rush, I enjoyed keeping busy. I would have continued working at the store had the opportunity been there. Great learning experience with flexible hours and good team to work for.
Pros
discount at store, meeting people, and good environment.
Cons
for myself a long drive and needed more hours for income.
An excellent company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 2, 2018
I truly appreciated the instruction on running a business I received while working for Barnes and Noble. Although a corporate structure, the culture fosters independent thinking, analysis and implementation of new ideas.
A great place to work, especially for s student
Online Sales (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 31, 2018
I had a wonderful time working at the Bookstore. Managers were nice, customers were polite and respectful, and coworkers were friends and very helpful.
Don't work here
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FL 32607October 30, 2018
Won't pay you what you are worth. Are always desiring more from you then you are being paid for.Worst company to work for. They are very overwhelming. Rushes are the worst time of year and no matter how hard you work they are never thankful.
Seasonal
Customer Service, Stock Books (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92506October 29, 2018
Worked during spring rush helping students find there books for there class subjects at RCC campus book store. The job was pretty easy just put books on the shelf and if a student needed to find a certain bar code take them to it .
Workplace Culture
Tradebook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 20, 2018
It was a great place to work. They promote from within. I was able to move around to different stores. If you love customer service this may be the place for you.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
retail is dying
A pleasure to serve
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIOctober 17, 2018
Barnes and Noble Education still has the small family feel that started 40+ years ago. Supportive, fun, and challenging. The position of store manager for BNED allows for a great deal of autonomy and you are given permission to fail in order to succeed.

I have had the opportunity to, on a daily basis, fill multiple roles: customer service, bookkeeper, mentor and salesman.

Working in a college environment puts me in contact with a wide variety of customers, each with challenging needs.
Great Job for College Students, Great Learning Experience
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 16, 2018
A typical day is very busy and there are many duties that need to be accomplished. This job was a great entry-level job that taught me time management, organization, and teamwork. The job was also trained me well in customer service and how to best handle difficult customers and to independently solve minor day-to-day problems.
The management here was one the most difficult parts to deal with. The store is quite small and has several members in upper management. This created some conflict with communication and what the priorities were for the workday. There was also very little acknowledgment or appreciation for hard work. It is quite rare to receive any appreciation. For a long time, I was unaware of the satisfaction with my work until I had my first review with the manager.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help students find textbooks and supplies that best fit their needs and pocketbooks. B&N College has a plethora of options for students and it was a pleasure to aid them in their journey towards higher education.
Pros
One-Two breaks everyday including a lunch break
Cons
Lack of Verbal Appreciation
Fast paced work environment
Texas and New York - Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, TXOctober 8, 2018
Long work hours in a educational environment.
Barnes & Noble College is a retail and learning company, committed to offering a complete support system and experience to foster student success in higher education.
Pros
Discount on textbooks
Cons
Great first job that lets you grow as an individual
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 5, 2018
Since the Barnes and Noble College focuses on offering jobs to college students, they understand that schedules must be flexible and they are more than willing to work with that. They are great at training you for the experience you need. The discounts on textbooks is definitely a plus, especially for current college students. Overall a great first job that trains you for all the basic experience you will need for any future jobs.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
The people aren't necessarily the best
How are they still in business?
Shipping and Receiving Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 4, 2018
Being constantly understaffed means we could never get everything done, even working way harder than our pay grade. And the pay is TERRIBLE. A MANAGER only makes $14 an hour, while the top executives make 5-6 MILLION dollars a year. THIS IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS. Home office also has absurd and unrealistic expectations for individual stores; they have no idea what we actually do or need, filling our inventories with useless unsellable junk and overall making our jobs infinitely harder.
Pros
Great temp or seasonal job for students
Cons
Poverty wages, everything about the Home Office
Very Flexible Hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 1, 2018
I work at Barnes and Noble College part-time and my favorite part is how friendly the people are and how flexible the hours are. I work mostly with other college students so management works around our class schedules as they change from semester to semester.
Awesome Staff in a great environment
Stocker/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, SCSeptember 26, 2018
Loved working at B&N College. Helped me maintain the balance of work and school while going to school. Great Entry level job for retail. Flexible schedule
Pros
Light work
Cons
Limited hours
productive place to work
Receiving and Inventory Audit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHSeptember 25, 2018
busy and productive place to work with the urge of achieving excellence. work is competitive which drives staff in exhibiting high standards of work ethics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble College. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight