Barnes & Noble College Employee Reviews

Great place to work at. Everyone was really friendly.
Online Sales (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLFebruary 18, 2019
I loved working at Barnes and noble college. I would help with the online orders and shipping. The managers and supervisors there are very helpful and friendly. Would recommend this job to anyone.
Was a great place to work.
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 17, 2019
It was fast paced during rush times. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great team I worked with and my fair and reasonable managers. Hard work was recognized.
Cons
Standing for long periods of time.
I would of stayed forever.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJFebruary 13, 2019
I could of not have worked with a nicer group of people. The PM team were a group of motivated and helpful individuals. The upper management were always supportive and I was grateful to be part of their team. Reason for leaving was purely due to the lack of benefits that were provided to Project Managers, there simply were no benefits of any type.
like it
Support Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJFebruary 13, 2019
Loved this job it was a good stepping stone.Support services was a very good start to my IT career. The management was very open and enlightening to help me grow.
b&n college
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 7, 2019
great company to work for. barnes and noble college is a lot different than the regular franchise. I would suggest really paying attention when training so there are no mess ups
Great atmosphere being on a college campus.
General Manager and Regional Trainer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 1, 2019
Working on a college campus has its rewards, but the industry is becoming more challenging. The textbook business is changing and students have more options than ever to shop elsewhere.
fast paced or dead slow no inbetween
bookseller (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 1, 2019
very fast during rush days all day and then would have about 3 customers per hour on non rush days. was given very few hours even though i often asked for more and often they would be very last minute and non communicative about scheduling.
Fun place to work with great co workers.
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 31, 2019
Good place to work. Laid back, easy job. Simple job. They do give breaks. Not really a hard part of the job except during rush week but even that isn't the worst thing in the world.
It was short lived
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 29, 2019
It was pretty interesting for like the first two days since people were still buying textbooks and etc for back to school. After a while it slowly drying out and then that is where managers starting telling me do stuff that I didn't apply to my position as in doing stuff in the back like that is some cheese. I guess its favoritism or just being even either way I find it more like having favoritism and also. So after working there for just 3 days out of the 5 I just keep checking the website until I notice I guess I am officially done. So yeah this is the short story of just for $8.25 per hour.
Pros
Interesting Co-Workers & Customers, Good for just experience
Cons
Bad Managers, Low Pay and Lack of Communication
Nice While It Lasted
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLJanuary 27, 2019
The reason I stopped getting hours at B&N College was because I had to tell my manager that my dad wasn't comfortable with me closing the store at night being that my manager was a guy. Since then, my hours got cut short to none at all. They would often tell me that "business was slow", yet the same amount of employees were there on a regular basis. I was out of work for so long that I had to get a second job because bills were starting to pile up. Even when I asked them if I got fired, they told me "no" and had me write down my availability (and still not put me down for hours). I couldn't get into my When to Work account to give my availability or contact the managers. If he didn't want me working at the main store, he could have put me at the Science Building with the female manager instead of not giving me hours at all. That decision put me in a very bad situation and struggling.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Fired without warning
the coworkers are the only good thing about this place
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 26, 2019
I would totally stay if we had the opportunity for raises but I have been working here too long and not able to move up from making $8.25. Management is good and they are understanding for the most part, and the people here are great.
Don't wast your time here
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJJanuary 22, 2019
Management here is horrible, you are trained to fail. They tell you what you are going to be doing which is credit and collections, but they call it Vendor Relations, don't let the name fool you. You will deal with a high turn over people constantly changing and leaving. You will feel tired at this place very quickly, and if the managers calls you to their office it means that they are firing you, cause the managers always comes to your desk to assist you if you have a question. HR here is non existent so you are on your own.
Pros
free starbucks
Cons
management
Unprofessional HR Payroll Department
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJJanuary 21, 2019
Lacks professionalism. The director of HR is aware of the foolishness that goes in within the payroll department. Very disorganized and lacks structure and professionalism in Basking Ridge, New Jersey.
Pros
Cons
So many, needs to re staff management.
Average work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 13, 2019
Really low pay. You get paid 7.25 an hour for a lot of reduendent work. I’ve never gotten paid minimum wage at any other job. I was expecting at least $8 an hour. Coworkers are nice and so are most of the managers, but the job itself is so mundane. Though the managers are nice, I felt disrespected. It’s a college bookstore. We are all adults. I felt like me and my coworkers were treated like we were stupid teenagers. Wouldn’t recommend.
Pros
Cons
Probably everything else
Stressful, bad corporate management, low pay
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 8, 2019
During the off seasons its really relaxed, busy seasons are stressful because no one is ever prepared. Corporate is distant and doesnt understand how ground level things work. Associates are paid minimum wage and management is paid barely more. I was over qualified so I was paid decent. Good amount of PTO and sick time. Usually understandable about emergencies. Doesnt drug test
Pros
Discount. PTO. Benefits. No drug test
Cons
Stressful. low pay.
Fast paced during rush otherwise pretty slow
Bookstore Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 4, 2019
Typically we try to help customers coming in as soon as possible and get them out as soon as possible especially during rush.Co-workers makes the shifts bearable. The management could improve, not very helpful. Hardest part of the job is to get to all of the customers. Most customers are easy to interact with while others not so much. Overall the job is easy but some employees put in more effort into the job while others don't. It would be great if everyone is treated equally and help each other. If you aren't busy and see your coworker needs assistance go over there and help them out to get the job done quicker. After rush hours are cut and not much to do during that time so if you are in need of money make sure to have a second job ready when the hours decrease. Highly suggest asking coworkers questions if you don't understand something.
Pros
Decent hours during rush, discounts, works around your schedule
Cons
Favoritism, management, low wage
Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJDecember 20, 2018
There was always something to do, this job is at a fast pace during "rush." Rush is around and during the time school starts. Students are flocking in bombarding us with questions and as an employee, he or she needs to be ready for that, because if not, you'll get the boot.
Good Company but Lack of advancement after a certain level
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 19, 2018
Depending on what department you work in, you might reach your full growth potential in a few years. In 5 years I pretty much made it to the top of the "cafe" department and my manager straight up told me that I would have to transfer to another department in order to advance. His reasoning is because the only way to advance beyond working at a store level is getting to the home office, and cafe employees in the home office "arent going anywhere anytime soon".
Pros
freedom, approved time off
Cons
management
Manager of TA2 Projects (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJDecember 18, 2018
Strong company to work for with an ever changing focus on whats important. Barnes and Noble works well with developing teams to accomplish large daunting tasks in an ever changing tech world
interesting
Bookseller/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 12, 2018
Rush is very face paced and stressful, downtime before and after rush.

Good discounts on items including textbooks.

I learned how to multitask and stay on top of multiple projects at once, as well as how to deal with difficult customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble College. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight