Barnes & Noble Education
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Barnes & Noble Education:

Barnes & Noble Education Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA12 reviews
Did you typical retail jobs, stocked shelves, worked at the cashier, and helped with other various assignments every day. You typically work at colleges so your dealing with people that are 18-25 years old and their parents.
Working at Barnes & Noble College has been a great experience to this day due to the many factors they provided. I have a very flexible work schedule where they scheduled me when I am not in classes which gave me time to go to class and not worry too much about being late to work because I had spare time. I enjoyed being with my coworkers because we were all always productive at work; we each had tasks to do which made the job never boring. The hardest part about the job was having to be super quick when the store gets extremely busy where lines are very long and everybody has questions about everything. I learned patience, friendliness, and communication.
Pros
Employee Discount and Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits
My boss and coworkers were the best part of the job. I got to learn how to properly be a barista, cashier, and deal with customers, which I will take with me into the rest of my jobs. I didn't get paid nearly enough for the amount I was working, and they justified it by saying that we got discounts on our books. Our discount was 10%, which isn't bad but it didn't really help all that well. The rules were a bit topsy turvy, and only really applied to some of the employees. The shifts weren't really spread out evenly and a lot of the employees were stuck alone during rush hours.
It was fast paced during rush times. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great team I worked with and my fair and reasonable managers. Hard work was recognized.
Cons
Standing for long periods of time.
They don't pay well at all, only apply if you are desperate, or if you go to the college out of convenience. It's pretty laid back and easy, but its a boring job. People are nice but if your hearts not in it you should not plan to be here long.
Pros
flexible schedule, easy work
Cons
low pay
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Works well as a part-timer. As a student the job was not too stressful and the hours were flexible which allowed to keep with studies as well as work.
The hours are very flexible which is perfect for college students, plus the great discounts on books and clothing. The only downsides are the minimum wage and during the middle of the school semester you dat get a lot of hours but the begging and end you get a lot.
The employees have become my lifelong friends. I've made best friends through working here and the main manager is like everyone's mom! I've made a best friend because of this job, I've become more of an extroverted person, I've met wonderful people that have positively impacted my life. It's a great experience, although stressful at times because it's extremely busy and requires a lot of walking/standing.
Pros
great employees
Cons
short breaks, high stress levels, low pay
As a college student, working at the bookstore was a great job to have while in school. The first few weeks of each semester are busy with online orders and students coming in the store to buy textbooks. The last few weeks of the semester are also busy with students returning rental books. Throughout the semester it is generally pretty quiet in the store. You will need to restock shelves and help with things around the store but overall it is a enjoyable work environment and when it is quiet in the store you can even get some homework done as long as no customers are in the store.
Pros
Can do homework when it is slow
At first you think its a nice job cause the work while sometimes tedious is manageable and easy to learn. However the main drawback and source of problem is the management that will constantly berate and demean you for making mistakes which causes you to stress out and make more mistakes
Although i had applied for the book store i was given little choice about my position, i ended up being posted as a a barista. the work was fun and the clientele was nice.
Pros
fun, fast pacing
Cons
inflexible
Working here had some good learning experience. I learned how to deal with different types of customers and how become a leader. For the work day, it depended on whether if we were busy or not, since it's at a college.