Barnes & Noble Education

• Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Good retail position, had a great manager.

Did you typical retail jobs, stocked shelves, worked at the cashier, and helped with other various assignments every day. You typically work at colleges so your dealing with people that are 18-25 years old and their parents.

Decent place to learn skills, bad place to stay long-term

One of those places that's fine to work at if you're a student. In addition to manning the register, you can also handle inventory and coordinate shipments. In my experience, the managers at all levels generally care about you making it to class and are pretty flexible with scheduling. Also not the worst place if you're retired and want to do something productive related to education. That said, there's little room for growth and very high turnover. Most people I worked with (I was there for about three non-consecutive years) were pretty chill and I'm in touch with a few of them today. But a lot of my non-manager coworkers didn't stay longer than perhaps six or seven months at a time. It's easy to get stuck here if you don't have specific ambitions or career goals. The general manager at the branch I was at the longest was extremely moody and loved to micromanage even when unnecessary. She was also pretty rude to most workers at times, and even the odd customer. Getting laid off due to COVID was probably the best way for me to leave the company, since it forced me to think more about what I actually want to do with my life. In short, if you're young and in school, it's not a terrible job. But don't end up like some of your older coworkers who get stuck there and don't have many skills outside of customer service.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Hard to get more than 30 hours, pay is fairly low, little room for growth, often demoralizing atmosphere

Relaxed workplace with flexible schedule

Many days were slow and could be boring. Management was reasonable and allowed workers to have a flexible schedule. Payment is definitely on the lower side. Wouldn't recommend this job if you need a decent income.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

no benefits, low pay, low mobility

Hires you with the promise of hours then cuts them

They overhire and then cut hours to the point where you aren't getting any hours. Do not properly train new hires but then get angry when they don't know how to do something. Place blame without proof. It is not a difficult job and would be enjoyable if properly managed.

Pros

on campus, willing to work around class schedules

Cons

cuts hours due to over hiring, no training, accusatory

A nice enough place to work, but its temporary

My job title is bookseller but I don't get to work with the books? You are there to generate profit, who you are does not matter. That can be a pro for some and a con for others. Every one who works in the cafe works differently, which makes it hard to do your job right, everyone tries to "help" by telling you to make drinks the way they do. Managers not allowed to work overtime because it costs too much, but part-timers can (has to be over the 40 hour mark). Strong drinking culture.

Pros

35% off books

Cons

"part time" is 8 hours/week sometimes and 30+ hours/week other weeks

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Basic Retail Problems

The job is fairly easy. The difficult part is getting basic respect from higher-ups. Often dealing with being understaffed for the needs of the bookstore and little support from management. Decisions in hiring are almost entirely political rather than based on skill, seniority, or the needs of the location.

Loved the employees at my specific store, company overall does not want employees to succeed

I loved the manager and assistant manager at my location, they were fair and supportive and it felt like they had my best interests at heart as an employee. I would work for both of those people again in a heartbeat. That being said, the company was rough. I felt totally unsupported and often like they wanted to make our lives/work harder. There was little opportunity for advancement. If it was legal to pay you less, they would. Our store had a rotating cast of temps instead of a well-trained, solid core of employees because of the poor pay and benefits.

Pros

Awesome assistant manager and manager at my location

Cons

no benefits, permanent part time, low pay, no incentives to stay with company

Fair Enough

You start off temporary with the promise of advancement. Which I learned isn’t true. I was taken on as a supervisor because management was incompetent and when the pandemic started I was only making $13.50 working 35-50 hours a week and since they had me on paper as Part Time, I was only eligible for $100 bucks a week on unemployment. Then I was laid off! Unfortunate, because I loved the work.

Pros

Chill Environment, Friendly People

Cons

Management, Worked through lunch breaks, Disorganized

Good company

It was through my college so my supervisor was very understanding, he always made sure our work and classes didn’t conflict. I learned so many skills at this job. The cash register, customer service, useing the phone and team work. I recommend working at this company.

Great schedule flexibility and good overall work environment

Better starting pay for qualified employees. More incentives for reaching store goals/incentives. No consideration was given for parking expense. This was basic reason for my leaving— having to pay University yearly fee for parking. Not worth getting paid hourly wage.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Low pay

Jobs at Barnes & Noble Education

See more jobs

Decent job

It was a decent job. It was kind of stressful at times. Management was decent but not flexible in terms of hours. Co-workers were pretty nice. It was fast paced especially during the lunch hours.

Not the company it used to be

Culture varies greatly pending the store and management team in place.Lack of accountability for upper management and corporate roles. It takes a massive HR disaster before anyone is let go, even if they are objectively showing poor/lacking results in their position. This also makes advancement difficult, unless you are willing to uproot your life and move where there are openings.Pay is severely outdated. Received our first raises since 2018 this year (2021). Upper (store) management makes on average $30-40k more, plus yearly bonus, over the next step down role wise. Pay is not scaled by locale, only store volume. Pay in my locale for a management role is well below the median and, by any financial study or analysis one can find, insufficient to live an even somewhat comfortable life without relying on someone else to pitch in (be it roommate(s) or partner).Core responsibilities for Department Managers have been centralized and semi-automated (from a store perspective) by corporate. Given the direction the company has been going, I would not be the least bit surprised if Department Management roles went away entirely to cut costs/give evidence as to why the pay is on the lower end, and turn those rules into Department Supervisors with a general scale of $5-10/hour less (based on current Supervisor pay).I'd recommend the Bookseller job to students as, sans some hectic prep work prior to a term starting, it's generally not a terribly demanding job. It can be tiring work when a large shipment comes in to unload, but overall I still would not deem it demanding. If you can -

Pros

Decent discounts

Cons

Pay scales outdated, volatile working environments, corporate communications lacking

Learning Experience

This review is for the Liberty University Bookstore Starbucks location. When working here I had a terrible experience with management. I do not recommend working here unless management has changed. It was a learning experience to see how to put up with people who are unprofessional and rude in the workplace. My encounters with certain staff did not feel meaningful and some encounters left me feeling dumb and unqualified for a Barista position. Before acquiring this position please ask questions about staff interactions and how people feel in regards to staff relationships.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Staff

Fast paced

You are dealing with a lot of people. Surges of people come and go. Sometimes it can be a bit stressful when a ton of students come in and demand where their books are

Good starter job

Money is abysmal, but it’s a nice job to start and pick up customer service skills. Managers range from bad attitudes to genuinely trying. Like any retail job, customers can be difficult.

Good for temporary work, do not expect a future here

The job itself is not hard at all. During the beginning of the semester, the job can even be exciting because there are so many customers. Usually things get slow after a few weeks, and the job becomes quite monotonous. The manager was pretty hands-off and cordial, but the assistant manager was extremely hard to work with. I'd recommend this job only to students looking for easy part time gigs, but even for a student, the pay is awful.

Pros

Employee discounts

Cons

Low pay, boring

College employment without student enrollment requisite

This is a pretty laid back place to work most of the time but during the beginning and end of semesters it's super busy with everyone returning and/or buying textbooks. I like the dichotomy and the work environment, but I wish they'd either pay more or give more hours.

Pros

No uniform, flexible scheduling, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Few hours, low pay

GM and RM (saw her 4 times in 5 years) are checked out and treat managers like numbers unless they need you to work unpaid overtime as a manager.

Redundant, repetitive job that will suck the soul and life out of you.Managers are way underpaid considering all the work/responsibilities that they give

Pros

There are not any since they changed store hours.

Cons

Short breaks, low pay for large amount of work, disrespect from customers, passive-aggressiveness from fellow managers and upper mngt.

Great scheduling

The managers work with you schedule as they are aware that employees are college students. The managers are very supportive and fun to work with. There are opportunities to grow in the business but it could lead to very little free time between work and college.

Pros

scheduling, management, discounts

Cons

short breaks, pay

Low pay, lazy workers

Management is actually the good part of the job. The workers they hire are absolutely awful and you often have to pick up other people’s slack. I would recommend for a first job for experience but nothing more than that.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Minimum wage, job security

Cashiering is basically slavery.

You're not treated as if you actually matter. They'll quickly throw you away to replace you, if you don't kiss up to them. The job is easy enough, because a lot of what goes into customer service is removed or done for you, seeing as to how you work on a college campus. The downside is that it's too focused on socializing rather than getting the job done effectively, so working with superiors is agonizing at times.

Pros

Flexible schedules

Cons

Terrible teamwork and low respect for coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight