Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 4,090 reviews matching the search See all 4,100 reviews
Great management and co-workers.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Mandeville, LAJanuary 21, 2019
You couldn't ask for a more enthusiastic and devoted group. This was a seasonal position, so we temps had to dive in and get up to speed in a hurry. And when the inevitable errors occurred at the register a manager would calmly get us back on track with never a discouraging word. The holiday season was busy, intense and tiring, but exhilarating. And the customers were generally appreciative, and often ecstatic, when we tracked down an elusive title. Was sad for the position to end.
Pros
You are surrounded by books, daily sales updates made you feel you were contributing to the store's success.
Cons
Low pay.
Good 1st time Job
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2019
This was me first job I ever had and it was fun to be on the sales floor to help customers finding what they need or questions they have. The downside is this just happen me like 3 times only in which they call me in the back and do something like I guess they just want even in the front and back but overall I am mostly in the sales floor than the back. The getting job part is just online and its somewhat straight forward and to see did you get hired just have to wait a few weeks or so by email or phone call.
Pros
Flexible hours, Good co workers, Customers
Cons
Low pay, not a lot of hours and management
Bookseller
Bookseller and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 25, 2019
A typical work day is very exciting because you go between working with customers at the register to Customer Service where you are interacting with customers looking for specific titles and shelving books that just came into inventory. I loved the day being split so there is no boredom as you move each zone by the hour. The management is very laid back and will work with you in needing time off or working a second job even going to school. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is working with the customers.
Pros
Discounts and easy schedule changes
Cons
No benefits as most position unless management are Part Time
Great place to work if you love books
Barista, Café Lead (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAFebruary 2, 2019
I loved my discount, but the job is not ideal. Hours vary (both the amount and when you're scheduled.). I worked at two different locations in two different states and both were not the greatest experience. Mainly because of management. They expect a lot, but don't appreciate what's done. They also do a very poor job at communicating what's needed and you find yourself "failing" when you were never directed on the specifics. My coworkers were fantastic though, and we made it a fun environment. I also VERY much love books and coffee, so that part was enjoyable.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Not a lot of places to move up and unreliable management.
Loved being surrounded by books everyday!
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYFebruary 15, 2019
This was my first part-time job and I loved it. I loved being surrounded by books every day and my 30% off discount. My coworkers and managers were great but the company itself isn't doing well. There was a lot of pressure on selling and it was hard to get consistent hours because of how much money the store made. My store couldn't afford to hire extra booksellers so we were understaffed and I had to do a lot of extra work with no extra pay.
Pros
Discount on books and coffee, great people
Cons
Lack of hours, understaffed, pay
Great place if you don’t need allot of hours
Spanish Fort - Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fort, ALFebruary 20, 2019
From Jan-November there is usually only 1 person weekdays which can get hard when you have to close and do all these chores, and baking at the same time as taking orders and making drinks. In December, there are usually at least 2-4 people working since it’s the holiday season. The staff is very friendly, but there usually is drama going on or gossip.
Pros
30% off everything, long breaks, the staff
Cons
You don’t get to leave the tip jar out, and the store manager can be really rude sometimes.
It okay if you have a good manager
Customer Service Responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 19, 2019
It was a good job aside from poor management. They also put a lot of pressure to sell memberships and get mad if you aren't pushy whenever interacting with a customer. I enjoyed helping the customers and the only reason I left is that there was one manager who was so rude and threatened to fire me if I didn't get enough memberships even when I was meeting the quota.
Pros
good employee discounts
Cons
poor management
Individual experiences will vary
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 7, 2019
Depending on your store's management team and District manager, the experience working here can vary greatly. If you have a good management team the job can be very rewarding and you have the opportunity to impact your community. If you have a poor management team or DM, it can be extremely disheartening frustrating to work here.
Pros
You get to read all the books!
Cons
Corporate not understanding store level operations.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 9, 2019
I have worked for Barnes & Noble for many years and it has been a wonderful experience. Most employees are long term and even though the starting pay for part time booksellers isn't competitive for our area, we are able to attract awesome people because they want to work with books and work with customers who love books.
Pros
Excellent environment with like minded people
Cons
Reduction of work force which does not allow for advancement.
HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Springfield Missouri USAJanuary 3, 2019
Worked there part time for a year and half, before there was a job opening as a head cashier and I was immediately offered the job without a interview because of my work performance.. after a few months the company (not my branch but corporate) started making multiple changes and fired nearly half the company across the USA running people who've been full time for 15+ years out of jobs on one blind Monday morning, now nearly everyone has quit due to poor corporate management
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Bad corporate
The people you work with become like family.
Bookseller - Children's Dept. Lead (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLDecember 26, 2018
At the store level it feels like you're part of a team that sinks or floats based on how well you work together. But the objectives, payroll hours, and stress that comes down from the corporate office is overwhelmingly negative. I feel like many times what we try to accomplish at the store is undermined by changes the corporation makes as a whole.
Pros
Customer service, benefits for full-time employees
Cons
Money and memberships are more important than people and truth
Productive with place where one can enjoy thier books and coffee
Café Server (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJanuary 31, 2019
Great environment but it could be better, for example they need to hire more reliable people no one was able to cover one shift without having a lame excuse. Some of the management needs to be more considerate of their employees, they have to consider the fact that some of us are not going to be working for Barnes and Noble for ever and that we are not going to be making this a career so when we decide to call out for the day because we are so behind in school because you either over scheduled us, be more considerate and don't throw a fit or blame it on us. it is now our fault you're not doing your job by hiring more employees. Life happens and I want to advance in my career than to be behind.
Pros
Free drinks or food
Cons
Everything else
Stressful and Poorly Managed
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 7, 2019
Coworkers were great, but the job is very stressful. Customers are often very set in their ways and pushy and management is extremely poor. Often times the management would step on each other's toes which would lead to confusion. Training is pretty much nonexistent but you are expected to be perfect regardless. I do not and would never recommend this company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, stress, customers
Management Cliques
Barista (Former Employee) –  Glendale, WIFebruary 11, 2019
I quit working from here because of how poorly I was treated by management. They were very much like a clique. They gossiped a lot, and if one of them didn’t like a coworker, all of them wouldn’t like that one person. One of them wouldn’t even refer to me by my own name. He would call me “this one” and wouldn’t even speak to me when I was right in front of him, and instead would tell someone else to tell me something... They told me I had to prove that I was sick in order to call off for so many days because I had the flu, so I had to come into work to show them I was incapable with handling food that day, and they still didn’t beleive me. I even called four hours ahead and they said I needed to call even earlier, and that it was my fault they were short staffed.
Pros
Plenty of breaks
Cons
Coworkers are rude, no tips
It's cool if you want some quick cash
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clark, NJDecember 19, 2018
I worked at barnes and nobles for a year and I have to say the workers are great, but days will go from no customers to a full on rush hour. The one thing I did not like is the fact that I applied for a bookseller's position and ended up in the cafe instead, and what is even worse is that I ended working their the entire time in cafe and only got to work as a bookseller once.
Pros
cool workers, weekly paid
Cons
stressful, just above minimum wage
Cushy for retail, but don't expect to plant your flag here
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CADecember 15, 2018
I've been at BN for 4 years now. My co-workers are lovely, my bosses are fair and I have a reasonable amount of responsibility and pull with what I'm allowed to do. However, if upper management doesn't want to promote, they won't. They aren't in the store to watch your progress or see how well you handle the role, if they don't -feel- like they should be promoting from within, they won't. Other than that the company offers alright benefits, if crummy pay.
Left with a bad taste
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYJanuary 16, 2019
Honestly the company seems ok. The pay wasn’t terrible. But the work/life balance was a joke. When I made a complaint I was told I chose this position and that’s what I had to deal with. Management was sloppy and inconsistent. They offered to train and then throw one into the fire without so much as a blink. My entire experience was disappointing and stressful.
Pros
Nice discount
Cons
Poor work/life balance
I loved helping people
HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTDecember 8, 2018
- My typical work day included re-stocking book and merchandise shelves, helping customers locate a specific item either in the store or online for order, and being cashier for customers.
- I learned how to close the cash drawers on a daily basis, and to ensure the store was neat and tidy for the next days business.
- Our management team was very friendly, encouraging and supportive.
- I enjoyed the workplace and the people I worked with. I especially enjoyed helping customers locate what they were looking for.
- The hardest part of the job was trying to obtain customer memberships to the store.
- My favorite part of the job was setting up new sales displays.
Pros
30% discount on store merchandise
Cons
Working retail hours
Good for extra cash during UK/BCTC move in
Bookstore Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cooper, Lexington, KYJanuary 12, 2019
I mainly worked in the BCTC store and the experience there was great. The managers were excellent and were receptive to answering questions. The job mainly consisted of helping students find the books and class materials they needed according to their class schedule.
Pros
People were friendly, pay was decent
Cons
When it got slow, they asked for volunteers to go home
Really relaxed work environment but DON'T GET COMFORTABLE
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Buckhead, GADecember 6, 2018
I was hired as a bookseller but unknowingly ended up taking on two more positions as a cashier and customer service representative. I would say that the work is not hard at all you just have to be really good with customer service. The environment is very relaxed as long as you do your job in selling memberships and day to day responsibilities. The manager is generally laid back as well. However, you can and WILL get released and replaced if need be so do not get to comfortable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.4K

Women's ratings

2.6Fairygodboss Score

64%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

56%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss