Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 3,863 reviews matching the search See all 3,873 reviews
Fast paced environment to work in
Book Seller (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 15, 2018
Barnes and Noble is a corporate structured company and it limits the additional input from employees for better moral and work environment. Barnes and noble offers advancement opportunities, but has recently removed some positions that were advancement position so now there is limited advancement and no incentive.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Store discounts, Employee appreciation for additional discounts
Cons
Stressful, short staffed, managerial issues
Positive company culture
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 15, 2018
I worked here for five months at a smaller store. Management was supportive and the company culture was positive. I have nothing else to add to this review.
Love This Company
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 14, 2018
I absolutely love working for Barnes & Nobel. I love books, music, and movies so this is literally the best job I've ever had. My store manager is amazing and very easy to work with. All of my coworkers are great as well.
Pros
Discount, Management, Colleagues, Customers
Cons
N/a
unstable management and horrible pay
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAAugust 14, 2018
This is not the kind of job that can financially sustain an adult. You will have to surrender your entire schedule to management to get even close to 30 hours. Every week, the schedule changes, with only a couple days notice.

You will be forced to hound every customer for their email and try to get them to sign up for the membership.
Pros
Cons
horrible pay, unstable hours
Had fun
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 14, 2018
I loved working with the other booksellers and managers. I do not like the pressure of having to sell memberships. I loved helping parents find books for their kids.
Cons
Selling memberships
Negative work environment
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEAugust 14, 2018
I began my three year tenure at B&N and absolutely LOVED the first 2 years. I was hired externally for the new café lead position and worked closely with the café manager up until her sudden departure. Being most suited at the time for the position, I applied for, interviewed and received a promotion for Café Manager! It was super exciting and started off really well. However, because of the sudden state of our café after the previous café manager's leave, I did not receive the usual café manager training where I would have trained for my managerial position within another store. Down the road, that severely impacted my ability to execute my manager duties effectively. I did not receive any training in business acumen whatsoever and everything with the systems that I did learn was self taught by poking around when I had a free moment. I was also scheduled as a member of staff, not as a manager overseeing my department, which made it excessively difficult to see to my managerial duties. The store manager was adept at the operation of the bookfloor, but regarding matters in the café, she did not understand the scrope and did not provide helpful feedback. Often times her criticisms were harsh and belittling.
So Not Worth It
Barista/Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 13, 2018
I started out in the cafe. I was trained well and the cafe management was great. The problem? Although I was getting paid minimum wage, I was doing what the managers were doing, but without the benefits. When the managers weren’t there, I was told by the bookfloor and general managers to call/write in and put away the orders, call mechanics, and other things I had no training on. There also were many, many times that I was in the cafe all by myself for an hour at a time during a rush. Twice just happened to be when the food and milk order came. Even the regulars started to notice.
Besides that craziness, the closing shift would always be 3:00-10:30, or 11:00. There is too much to do to close up the cafe with only 2 people.
When I finally got the chance to remain in the bookfloor, someone left in the cafe, and I was told to cover for them. This happened not only for the day to day coverage, but I ended up only getting shifts in the cafe because so many people had left the company.
On the flip side, the bookfloor was fun!
Pros
Discounts, easy access to coffee, the “book smell”
Cons
Long hours with little help, not enough pay for the work for someone who DOES NOT DO THE MINIMUM.
It was ok
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2018
Almost always super crowded so its hard to move around. Some supervisors have favorites. Improper health training. Almost impossible to switch positions.
Customer service
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Barnes and Noble. I worked as a sales associate. I stocked merchandise, completed sales/cash transactions, assisted customers and helped with store events. It was fun. The pay and hours were good.
Wasted so many years
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 11, 2018
Worked at BN for 15 years. From management to part time and every department. Beyond shady. I worked enough hours to get benefits but was "coded" at 12 hours so I could never get them. Full time positions were almost all eliminated they laid off great, tenured people to do it. Workload to staff ratio was exhausting. Cafe employees left alone for whole shift practically begging for a break which was covered by a manager who was barely trained in there. No training, horrible customers, horrible pay, horrible management, no honesty, shady disrespectful upper management. It started out great but the employees are the most miserable people. All of us were on Indeed looking to jump this sinking ship. Shut it down.
Pros
Discount (but 50% in cafe changed to 30%)
Cons
Walking in that door everyday. Everything!
Fun and interesting workplace
Bookseller/Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 10, 2018
The associates are new and interesting and unique, and every single day is different. My favorite part is the employees I work with, and the work I do.
Bookish Downfall
Barista/Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 8, 2018
I absolutely love working at Barnes and Noble, the only downside is, its a dying company. There are a few Barnes and Noble that will still for a couple more years but unfortunately the store I am currently working at, will not. It is a great if you're looking for something temporary and put on your resume.
Pros
30% off books and cafe
Cons
Few hours, unless during holiday season
Productive and fun workplace with GREAT managment
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARAugust 8, 2018
Loved working here! Best management team. The hardest part of the job was staying on my feet all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with.
Pros
book, book, and more books
Cons
staying on feet
Great place!!
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 7, 2018
B&N offers a very friendly and professional work culture. Management is wonderful and always a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately there are not that many chances for advancements and with recent changes, hours have been drastically reduced.
For a retail store, it's a fun place to work at but salary is low
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 7, 2018
It's fun to work at Barnes & Nobles but the pay is very low and little job advancement. The managers are very friendly with you and keep things professional as well. They sometimes pressure you to sell memberships but they do it in a positive way and not in a negative way. Which works because if it was negative pressure, we wouldn't be getting any memberships. Co-workers are all good friends outside of Barnes and Noble. Culture in the store is really fun and friendly. Sometimes customers can be rude but you shouldn't let that get to you. You're mostly walking and standing up. In your shift you're either in Receiving, Customer Information Desk, Kids Dept, or Cashiering.
Pros
friendly co-workers who eventually become your friends, friendly and professional managers, positive environment and culture
Cons
low pay per hour, very low advancement opportunities, customers can be rude sometimes
just ok
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
The manager was inconsiderate most times. There is no respect and growth opportunities for members of the lower staff. Overall it was not a great experience working there.
Stressful and Low Pay
Textbook Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2018
Do not work here. Again do work here. I have met some great people working here. Now, you are a college student looking for a discount for textbooks then maybe work here just for the discount its 30 percent off textbooks.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
everything else
Blessed to have had the job.
District Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 6, 2018
I was blessed with the manager I had. I was there to support her directly as her admin. She was extremely accommodating to me in regards to schedules. I have chronic health issues and since she traveled frequently, she was great when it came to my changes in schedule. As long as my work was done, she was good. Very much a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours' type of environment. It wasn't just me either. I seen her help many employees work out a work/home life balance. Unfortunately the company had to cut positions and mine was one of them. I have no ill will towards anyone.
Pros
Discounts at the cafe and on merchandise, fantastic healthcare
Cons
Health insurance only available to full time employees
Fun experience.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 6, 2018
I loved it here. Many of pros that come with this job. Just not a high chance of advancement; especially when trying to make a living. The employees and customers that you see during each shift is the best part of working here.
Pros
Make your own drinks with a great discount, great area, friendly people, etc.
Cons
Over staffed, very low pay, chain corporate company, etc.
corporate bookstore
Chesterfield, Missouri - NOOK Lead (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOAugust 6, 2018
good staff, poor management

the books are great. coffee is nice. Access to things you may not find unless you go to Amazon. You can find most anything there.
Pros
get check books out, cheap coffee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.4K

Diversity score

58out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Barnes & Noble.

Powered by Comparably