Barnes & Noble
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Barnes & Noble:

Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA85 reviews
Working at the BN college bookstore at the NOVA campus was my first job. It was a great place to learn the ins and outs of retail, as well as customer service.
I enjoyed working at BN, my coworkers were friendly and the job wasn't too terrible. I will say that there's a lot of work involved, and I don't think that the employees are always paid fairly for that. My biggest problem was with corporate. They were very micromanaging and would interrupt us as we were working to tell us things we already knew.
Pros
not a bad discount, you can set your own hours if you're part-time.
Cons
Corporate micromanaging
I worked. At B&N college for a short time. Let me state the obvious, it was mindless work, but I had a lot of flexibility about how often I wanted to work. That said, the pay was terrible—minimum Wage. Management was nice.
I loved working at Barnes and Noble. It was the best job I’ve ever had and I’d love to work there again, quite frankly. The managers were very respectful of my time and energy. It was a great environment.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
This company has been the best job I've ever worked at. I love working here and would like to try and get back into the company. Even though the pay sometimes sucks, it's still a great place to work at. I have met some of my best friends within this company and the best manager I have ever worked under.
It’s a very healthy work environment and scheduling is very flexible. The managers work hard to ensure that all employees are able to have enough time to complete schoolwork
The environment is extremely friendly, and the customers tend to be easy to manage. Doesn’t offer a lot of advancement but for a simple cashier position they paid decently and were a good place to work
I felt like the managers in this particular store made everything better, they went out of their way to make sure that things were taken care of, from sick time to vacations for part time employees
NA i dont want to say any more i want to be done with this review but i guess i just have to keep typing and i suppose this is good practice for typing quickly in an administrative assistant job which is why i am trying to use this website.
I really enjoyed working at Barnes and Noble when I started, but now I feel like I'm left to do too much for too little. It might just be my store, but I feel like no one truly knows what they're doing and I'm left to pick up the slack. The management is often careless when it comes to paid time off and vacation time. I was demoted from a position because I did not have full availability due to school, which is understandable, but I was still expected to perform the same tasks with a pay cut, no benefits, and similar hours. The company as well has lost a lot of it's love for its employees. They're very focused on money and trying to keep the company afloat that they're forgetting to treat those who take care of the stores and make their money with respect. I still love the company, but I feel like they're not approaching things the right way.
Great workplace and coworkers, with good management, but doesn't pay enough to cover cost of living in the area. I would have stayed if I could afford to.
Pros
Discounts, great coworkers
Cons
Hours, pay
I worked at the cafe inside a Barnes and Noble. It was incredibly fast paced. My fellow employees were fun to work with though. They also promoted me pretty quick. However, it's a pretty strict work environment. Everything is under and key; discounts, organization, special promo's.
Pros
Discounts on items
Cons
Nothing free for employee
Both my bosses were really nice. I would mostly just work the register and the customer service desk helping people find the items that they were looking for.
Pros
flexible hours, friendly work environment
Cons
It can get pretty crowded with customers
An excellent place to work and learn. I works at Barnes and Noble Cafe, I learned all related to Barista, Catering and Customer Service, and working as Bookseller and Cashier I learned a lot more.
I feel as if i was highly discriminated against I worked at the Barnes and Noble bookstore at Northern Virginia Community college in Manassas VA. I was let go because I didn't know how to properly use a box cutter. I feel as if I should've been trained instead of being removed from the team.
If you love books, it's a great place to work. morning shifts start with shelving and organizing sections, you will do this throughout the day. there is always something to do, so boredom will not be a problem. You will meet and interact with a variety of customers, good and bad.
I loved all of my employees and coworkers. I enjoyed speaking with customers about books or helping them with their Nook devices. There is little room for advancement and the company promotes poor business decisions while ignoring the concerns of their employees.
the pay is very low and I only can recommend it as a second job. you can only be happy if you absolutely love books and do not rely on this job as main source of income.
One of the best jobs I've ever had. Lots of room for growth. Fun working environment. Relaxed yet fast paced and encouraging. Management really cares about your family life and every employee becomes a member of your own family
making money is the bottom line. selling membership cards and upselling titles are what drives the business. just like any retail job, you deal with good and bad customers. the company has shifted from a book selling company to just making money and sometimes by any means. cutting hours and positions has become the new norm.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell membership cards, and upsell. Low wage and no commission
Working in a bookstore is always a fun job for me. It affords me the opportunity to not only become familiar with previously unknown tome books, but also to interact with people, customers and colleagues, who enjoy those books and are knowledgeable in those fields. Working at Barnes & Noble afforded me that opportunity, as well as offering me a fun and flexible workplace.
Pros
Being around books, music, and movies. Like minded colleagues.
Cons
Low wages, dress code.