Barnes & Noble

United States5,849 reviews

Found 5,849 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,865 reviews
noblebookbooksellercafebookstorediscountstoreretail

okay place to work

pretty monotonous but overall not that bad. Friendly coworkers, good employee discount. The work environment is filled with nice people.low pay for the workload

Growth potential

Good place to work, good people and the new ownership group is doing fantastic things for their employees. Opportunities for advancement are definitely there for employees deserving

Barnes & Noble insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Productive, Fun Environment, Great Management

This was my first retail job and I could not have started off at a better place! Great team of management and employees. They are always on top of breaks and lunches! Meaning they remind you to take them, so take advantage of them because not alot of retail places will give you breaks. I learned so much about the business and knowledge in crafting Starbucks drinks. I am very thankful for the support and guidance I received from the managers. The only downfall to the job for me was having to work nights and weekends. It was a heavy inconvenience for me and my husband. If it weren't for the nights and weekends, I would continue to work there for as long as I could. If you are looking for a great retail place to work and are flexible with your schedule, this is it!

Fun work environment

My experience with this company was the best so far. Management was very encouraging, kind, and patient with new hires, but also all of the co-workers created a space where we all knew that if someone was swamped or needed help, there would be someone there to have your back, & I believe that it was able to thrive that way BECAUSE of the great management team (who had all been there for 7+ years) The only thing is you don't get much money out of it & nothing in the cafe is free at the location I worked in, but you did get a discount on both cafe items and books, so that made up for it in my eyes.

Pros

great management, fun & encouraging environment, discounts on books & cafe items

Cons

pay is low

Fun place

Fun place to work but the credit card/ signup numbers are a pain in the butt even if you try hard doesn’t always work and they based hours off of those numbers

People are amazing!

I loved the people I worked with. Everyone was so nice, and it felt like a family. However, the pay for the work I was doing was not near enough. It could cover gas, and gas only. Not only that, but we had to do manager work and go above and beyond in so many ways that it felt like I wasn't a barista, but I was a manager. I cared about the job so much, and I did want to stay, but for the pay I was offered, I couldn't. It was a lovely first job, however.

Pros

Discounts, good environment

Cons

Poor healthcare, subpar wages, high stress

Good, book environment

retail so hours can be bad, but it's about being passionate about books. The management is good, and the health benefits are great. Always fun to be around coworkers who love books.

A Good Job to Start out

An unrealistic expectation has developed within the company to the point that it makes it so stressful you go home feeling exhausted and on the verge of just quitting. It is an excellent company to start and learn, then move on. Some people have been with the company for over ten years and are still waiting to get promoted. They started developing this idea of people taking on extra roles but not compensating them. My suggestion is if you are beginning perfect for you, but if you are looking for a career not going to find it here.

Perfect for getting experience

Depending on the managers it is a safe space for any gender or LGBTQ. The only difficulty is working with high schoolers most of the time. Not enough non-highschoolers, and people leave eventually for something else.

Overworked & underpaid

Work as hard as you can for minimum wage. If you don’t, they’ll make sure you do. Lots of heavy textbooks/boxes of textbooks. Also strict dresscode for pay.

Fun job, terrible pay!

I worked at Barnes and Noble for the latter half of my college years. Though my coworkers were extremely nice and helpful, I felt as if I was paid in peanuts. In Colorado, I was making 13 dollars an hour while having to pay $750 in rent every month. It was very hard to get more hours as well. I would say it was a great job only for the friendly customers and staff, not as much for the overall benefits.

Pros

40% off books!

Cons

Pay/Benefits

We had a fun team to work with

If you are into books, this is a good fit for a second income. Doesnt pay minimum wage, but very few retail jobs do. It was a seasonal job, so I wasn't there for very long.

slow paced, perfect for a college kid

I worked here for a couple months, it wasn’t bad but made me realize i never want to work retail ever again. bosses micromanaged just a tad bit. wouldn’t work here again.

Great Health Benefits, Poor recognition and advancement

The health benefits are great. Some of the people you work with are wonderful. However, you upper management doesn't really care about you. They will layoff long time employees and either bring in someone new at a lower rate to save money or not replace them. You can get higher pay elsewhere, even McDonalds starting pay is more then BN.

Entry level, fun, fast paced job

This job can definitely suit someone who is looking for their first job, a way to make extra money on the side, or just because you love books. It’s not a huge demanding job, and you get a great employee discount!

Pros

Employee discount, fast paced, knowledge about new releases

Cons

High turn over, customer demands, fast paced, usually part time

Great place to work but can be stressful at times.

I worked with great employees. The most stressful part of the job was when the store was short-staffed resulting in not enough staff needed to help with customer service or complete projects that were due.

The discount is nice, but if you work there long enough, it all comes back around

I've been with the company on and off (mostly on) for portions of the last nearly 8 years, and many things have changed, yet somehow they're all exactly the same. This is a hedge-fund owned company that cares about bottom lines, and is ruthless, just like the ownership before it. It was hard to grow within the company then, and it's not any easier now. They refuse to commit to any new ideas long enough to learn if they work, before that roll them back again. Raises are minimal, and rare, bonuses are inconsequential, time off is insufficient. Cannot recommend at any level. It's unfortunate, because the discount is incredible, andI love that this job enables me to have fun book conversations with people on occasion. I've also made a lot of wonderful friends of my co-workers.

Pros

Good discount, occasionally there are nice conversations about books, some good people to work with.

Cons

Pretty much everything else

When it's slow, it's slow. When it's busy it's BUSY

Lots of busywork, straightening shelves, stocking, cleaning. Relaxed environment mostly - except holidays, gets crazy busy. Overall not bad, I'd probably work here again if I needed to

Muy buen trabajo

Es un buen trabajo pero por el covi 19 tuve que renunciar porque tenia una niña de 1año

Cons

Si

Great Job For a UD Student

Easy tasks, the managers are nice and it is a great place to work for students. Virtually no opportunity for advancement/raises. They will hire most people due to high rate of turnover from students workers graduating/going home for holidays.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Below Average Pay, Seasonal Rushes

Great place to work, friendly coworkers and clear goals

I really enjoyed the environment, it’s clean safe and beautiful. The customers are friendly with a great location. Amazing bosses and great coworkers

Common questions about Barnes & Noble

Answered by current and former employees at Barnes & Noble

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight