Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 3,910 reviews matching the search See all 3,920 reviews
Fun place to work
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 18, 2018
Helping customers to find books and music, Locate items not in store and place on order in not available within the local area. Learn how to work together as a team Management is very helpful and willing to listen and advise. Workplace culture is varied. it makes it an interesting place to work. Hardest part of the job--leaving at the end of the day. Most enjoyable part of the job--the people you work with!
long hours on your feet
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHOctober 17, 2018
you don't really get to sit unless you're on break. you have to also deal with a lot of angry customers. but the managers were very understanding and one even helped me out of a panic attack.
Pros
discount
Cons
dealing with ngry customers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAOctober 16, 2018
There's kind of a family feel with the employees here. I did end leaving because I needed to be earning more, but the job itself and my coworkers were great.
Relaxed but quick paced on game days
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 16, 2018
The environment at Barnes & Noble is very welcoming and family friendly. The workers are very polite, the customers are understanding if there are shipping problems and since it is on campus, it is fairly easy for students and workers to get there.
Pros
35% discounts
Cons
short breaks
It was fine
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILOctober 16, 2018
Management was great, but the job itself was very, very dull. There were days on the weekends where we were very busy, which was nice, but most of the time there was nothing to do.
fun learning sbux drinks
Barista/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 16, 2018
was okay job just temporary a lot of push to up sale customers all the time a lot of pressure to sell memberships that offer little benefits to costumers
Pros
easy job
Cons
two hour shifts
Great Place to work
Director of Inventory Management (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NJOctober 15, 2018
Great Culture. Company was very flexible. Showed get interest in peoples career. Work day was about 8 to 10 hours a day. Training was reviewed yearly to ensure people
Pros
Very Flexible
Cons
Health care
Fast paced but relaxed setting
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMOctober 14, 2018
Cafe is typically busy during the mornings and during lunch hours as you tend to have many regulars who arrive to the mall to walk in the morning and mall employees stop by for a coffee or lunch break throughout the day. Always something to work on and to help keep clean. Frequent interaction with book floor staff and decent discounts on food and goods.
Pros
Discounts, relaxed work environment, able to build good report with regular customers
Cons
Very public space to constantly on the lookout for suspicious activity, daily reminders that cafe was unable to accept Starbucks reward/gift cards
Pretty good part-time job
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Bainbridge, GAOctober 14, 2018
I learned how to multi-task really quickly at Barnes & Nobles as a bookseller. I learned how to use a cash register and ship in and out book orders and etc.
Pros
Discount, was on my college campus, and it was an easy going job
Cons
Had some trouble with the assistant manager
Great environment
Barista/Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTOctober 13, 2018
This was the first job I had and it was fantastic. The management was very helpful and wonderful with training, and wanted me to succeed. They like to keep promotions from within and I like that.
Pros
discounts
Cons
hard to get a significant raise
fun quite place to work.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Golden, COOctober 10, 2018
Fun place to work .People are so friendly to work with activities .Holidays people come in more during Christmas ready to pay money for great gifts.very busy time of the year.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise.
Cons
No benefits
Nice first temp job
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  CCBC EssexOctober 10, 2018
Scheduling is very flexible. You’re meeting new people everyday. After the main event there weren’t many hours given. Management was fair. Not many tasks on a slow day.
Pros
Discount on books & clothing
Cons
Little to no hours after the beginning of the season, short breaks
It is a good place
Book Seller (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 10, 2018
It was a good experience to be there, it was one of my job experience in America, so i have learned a lot about the time management, commitment. I have met good people who were helpful to me.
Pros
Team work and hardworking place
Cons
They like strong and commitment people
Good for part-timers with no interest in advancement, not great for everyone else.
Book and Music Department Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2018
I started working here 5 years ago when I was still in school looking for a part-time job to make some money. Over the years, I've attempted to move up in the company multiple times but was always overlooked or denied in favor of some outside hire who never had any intention of sticking around long enough to make a decent impact on the store. I've outlasted 4 store managers, a dozen or so ASM's, and countless booksellers to be the most senior bookseller at my location and yet that's still not good enough to be promoted. The only reason I'm still here is that of the enjoyable work environment, but even that has its limits.
Productive and fun work place
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLOctober 9, 2018
I was only there for a seasonal position but the managers were always trying to encourage you to be your best and how to improve yourself and would give some positions fun contests to compete in such as up saleing etc.
Pros
Discount from starbucks
great!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 8, 2018
One of the best jobs I've ever had. Lots of room for growth. Fun working environment. Relaxed yet fast paced and encouraging. Management really cares about your family life and every employee becomes a member of your own family
Good for Retail
CBDM (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 8, 2018
If you like books and like to upsell, this is for you. Managers try to make it fun everyday. You are able to work in different areas of the store so that everyday is different.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Always short-staffed
Alright
Cashier and Book Seller (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 8, 2018
Didn't mind working. Management makes sure to keep you busy, few customers in store except for mid day Saturday, after church on sundays, or the holiday season.
An Excellent Temporary Position
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2018
If you love to read and are just looking for a temporary holiday job with decent discounts on lattes, this would be the job for you.
The team was amazing, the customers were well read and quite fun to speak to. The systems were easy to use, and you were paid weekly.
Pros
Books absolutely everywhere, discounts in the cafe, good culture for a temp job
Cons
not enough breaks, on your feet the whole shift, temp job with extremely low pay
Poor Management
CAFÉ SERVER (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 6, 2018
The upper management was the biggest reason why I left. Overall, it was pretty chill, great paid and even part-time people can get sick time, and after six months paid time off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.4K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight