Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

41.4K
Found 3,857 reviews matching the search See all 3,866 reviews
It was ok
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2018
Almost always super crowded so its hard to move around. Some supervisors have favorites. Improper health training. Almost impossible to switch positions.
Customer service
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Barnes and Noble. I worked as a sales associate. I stocked merchandise, completed sales/cash transactions, assisted customers and helped with store events. It was fun. The pay and hours were good.
Wasted so many years
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 11, 2018
Worked at BN for 15 years. From management to part time and every department. Beyond shady. I worked enough hours to get benefits but was "coded" at 12 hours so I could never get them. Full time positions were almost all eliminated they laid off great, tenured people to do it. Workload to staff ratio was exhausting. Cafe employees left alone for whole shift practically begging for a break which was covered by a manager who was barely trained in there. No training, horrible customers, horrible pay, horrible management, no honesty, shady disrespectful upper management. It started out great but the employees are the most miserable people. All of us were on Indeed looking to jump this sinking ship. Shut it down.
Pros
Discount (but 50% in cafe changed to 30%)
Cons
Walking in that door everyday. Everything!
Fun and interesting workplace
Bookseller/Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 10, 2018
The associates are new and interesting and unique, and every single day is different. My favorite part is the employees I work with, and the work I do.
Bookish Downfall
Barista/Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 8, 2018
I absolutely love working at Barnes and Noble, the only downside is, its a dying company. There are a few Barnes and Noble that will still for a couple more years but unfortunately the store I am currently working at, will not. It is a great if you're looking for something temporary and put on your resume.
Pros
30% off books and cafe
Cons
Few hours, unless during holiday season
Productive and fun workplace with GREAT managment
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARAugust 8, 2018
Loved working here! Best management team. The hardest part of the job was staying on my feet all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with.
Pros
book, book, and more books
Cons
staying on feet
Great place!!
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 7, 2018
B&N offers a very friendly and professional work culture. Management is wonderful and always a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately there are not that many chances for advancements and with recent changes, hours have been drastically reduced.
For a retail store, it's a fun place to work at but salary is low
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 7, 2018
It's fun to work at Barnes & Nobles but the pay is very low and little job advancement. The managers are very friendly with you and keep things professional as well. They sometimes pressure you to sell memberships but they do it in a positive way and not in a negative way. Which works because if it was negative pressure, we wouldn't be getting any memberships. Co-workers are all good friends outside of Barnes and Noble. Culture in the store is really fun and friendly. Sometimes customers can be rude but you shouldn't let that get to you. You're mostly walking and standing up. In your shift you're either in Receiving, Customer Information Desk, Kids Dept, or Cashiering.
Pros
friendly co-workers who eventually become your friends, friendly and professional managers, positive environment and culture
Cons
low pay per hour, very low advancement opportunities, customers can be rude sometimes
just ok
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
The manager was inconsiderate most times. There is no respect and growth opportunities for members of the lower staff. Overall it was not a great experience working there.
Stressful and Low Pay
Textbook Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 7, 2018
Do not work here. Again do work here. I have met some great people working here. Now, you are a college student looking for a discount for textbooks then maybe work here just for the discount its 30 percent off textbooks.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
everything else
Blessed to have had the job.
District Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 6, 2018
I was blessed with the manager I had. I was there to support her directly as her admin. She was extremely accommodating to me in regards to schedules. I have chronic health issues and since she traveled frequently, she was great when it came to my changes in schedule. As long as my work was done, she was good. Very much a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours' type of environment. It wasn't just me either. I seen her help many employees work out a work/home life balance. Unfortunately the company had to cut positions and mine was one of them. I have no ill will towards anyone.
Pros
Discounts at the cafe and on merchandise, fantastic healthcare
Cons
Health insurance only available to full time employees
Fun experience.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 6, 2018
I loved it here. Many of pros that come with this job. Just not a high chance of advancement; especially when trying to make a living. The employees and customers that you see during each shift is the best part of working here.
Pros
Make your own drinks with a great discount, great area, friendly people, etc.
Cons
Over staffed, very low pay, chain corporate company, etc.
corporate bookstore
Chesterfield, Missouri - NOOK Lead (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOAugust 6, 2018
good staff, poor management

the books are great. coffee is nice. Access to things you may not find unless you go to Amazon. You can find most anything there.
Pros
get check books out, cheap coffee
There were glory days!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 6, 2018
Once upon a time, BN was a great bookstore to work at. Then along came digital and it was never the same. All of the high-pressure sales pitches, salary freezes, position reductions seem to have flowed directly from the failed attempt at being a hardware creator.

Had they just stuck to what they did best they would be fine now. As it is BN does not know what it wants to be when it grows up.
Pros
It is books & coffee!!!
Cons
Low pay, little security, few associates on the floor.
Educational work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 5, 2018
Enjoyed stocking, selling and working with customers regarding their book needs. Worked as a Cashier for the most part but helped all around book store.
Pros
Able to spend the day around books
Cons
Short staffed during busy times
Not fun at all
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 4, 2018
Would not recommend to work here, the manager’s were not very nice they would throw you under the bus even if you didn’t mess up. The coworkers were the only good thing about working here
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Barnes & Noble. Retail, in general, can be a difficult industry, but I truly believe that Barnes & Noble is as good as it gets.
Not a good place to work for a living
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 3, 2018
Too little pay for too much work
Constantly understaffed
Layoffs are common
Management demands employees with physical injuries (i.e. arthritis, back problems, knee/hip injuries) perform hazardous and prolonged duties with little regard to damage done. - I know someone who's hip went out and could no longer stand for the rest of the day, and had a hard time standing for several more days, and was still expected to work.
Zero opportunity to move up in position unless you really get friendly with upper management. They like to pick favorites.
Will not give you time off to see doctor, even unpaid.
The only good thing I can say is co-workers are typically friendly and quite helpful, as well as the lower management.
Pros
Good lower management and healthy co-worker relationships.
Cons
Terrible upper management, lack of care of employee health. Pay not worth the work.
Hard work but can be fun at times
Barista/Server/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXAugust 3, 2018
The people I work with are great. Really friendly atmosphere between employees. Sometimes management can be a bit overbearing, but usually within reason. Meeting quotas is very important, which can be a bit of pain. Good first time job; I learned a lot about customer service and the retail industry. Can be a bit stressful at times, especially during the holidays.
solid
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAAugust 2, 2018
I had enjoyed my time working at this bookstore d ue to the fact that it had enlgightened me about the various forms of sales and marketing that'd be set to take place within work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight