Barnes & Noble

• Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

okay place to work

pretty monotonous but overall not that bad. Friendly coworkers, good employee discount. The work environment is filled with nice people.low pay for the workload

Good for customers and employees, not much training or job advancement

I liked my managers and co management.Benefits are top notch. The company cares about their employees and their health. The store atmosphere is, for the most part, is positive. Not much room for upwards job mobility. Low pay for many positions compared to other companies. Training is pushed but not much time given to complete training tasks.Overall, it’s a good place to work and I recommend it.

Pros

Books, customers, store atmosphere, excellent benefits and the company shows it does care about their employees health and well being.

Cons

Lack of cohesive store management communication, Little to no upwards mobility, preaches learning and self-training but do not allow the time to do so.

Not what you may think

If you love books, working at a bookstore may seem like a fantastic job. But it's not some nice family bookstore, it's a corporation. And all corporate wants you to do is sell, sell sell. You'll be pressured to meet a certain quota each day, and try to squeeze as much money out of each customer as possible. They want you to work as if you're on commission while getting minimum wage. And you'll have a script so long that it'll have customers yawning. The only good part is, usually the people that work there are really great. Even management can be good, but they're pressured from corporate too.

Pros

Surrounded by books, great coworkers, customers usually nice

Cons

Pressured to sell hard, Will be expected to perform any job in the store, standing all day

Easy job for a student

Working at Barnes & Noble was easy and flexible. The pay was minimum wage but we didn't do a lot. Very simple hiring process. Mostly everyone was nice.

Bad management

Management would tell you one thing and then do another. Store manager said they didn’t believe my illness was real. Got in trouble for getting my shift covered to take care of my illness.

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Bad management, low pay, no advancement

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

The worst company and management ever!

I have never worked for a company that treats its employees so terribly. It's bad enough that the pay is low with no decent promotions but when lazy store management spends all of their time abusing and gossiping about their employees, that's the worst and I won't put up with it any longer. I am in the process of starting a new job with a living wage, real benefits and with management who respects their employees.I am not alone, more people are leaving as soon as they can.I implore eveyone to AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE COVID!

Pros

Co-workers were great unless they were the manager's pets

Cons

Bad pay, barely any benefits, almost any other company is much better

The worst company and management ever!

Pros

Co-workers were great unless they were the manager's pets

Cons

Bad pay, barely any benefits, almost any other company is much better

It pays the bills

Decent gig. I love books and my coworkers are pretty good but we never seem to have enough people working. I like my managers and they work hard but I feel like they spend more time dealing with unruly people than helping actual customers

Pros

Books

Cons

Breaks, understaffing

Respeto a los empleados

Trabajar en dicha compañía para mi fue muy satisfactorio, pienso que me abrió las puertas a nuevos cambios que han sido muy beneficiosos para mi y mi familia

Pros

Reconocimiento de los empleados.

Cons

Cambios en los puestos de trabajo

Simple job with flexible scheduling

This job had great employees that were supportive and kind. The work was simple but slow, there was a lot of standing around. Pay was super low with zero chance of a raise or promotion. Great job for students!

Pros

Flexible Hours, Easy Work, Great Employees

Cons

Low Pay, Low Hours

Jobs at Barnes & Noble

See more jobs

Toxic work environment. Retail with books more so than actual bookstore.

The pay is terrible, with little to no chance of a raise or promotion- ever. In fact, they expect low level employees to do Management level tasks for no additional pay.They expect certain work related tasks to be done off the clock ( putting head sets on, etc)Little to no accommodation for neurodivergency (especially those with auditory processing issues) They do NOT take care of the employees well, practically zero protection from covid exposure. Management is terrible - it is not a good sign when coworkers bond over Management making them cry on a weekly basis.Overall not worth the discount on books. Would NOT recommend to anyone.

Cons

Covid exposure, toxic management, not disability friendly, terrible pay

Good job

Retail that can be actually enjoyable.Customers are Pretty good.Flexible hours to meet personal needs.Everyone seems to get along more so than other retail jobs

Horrible owners

The new owners are more concerned with profit than anything else. There is nothing but talk about improving things for the employees, but no action. When inquiring about advancement or pay increase, we were told that there is no money for it, but there is money to hire more employees. When you indicate your are dissatisfied and are seeking employment else where, you then hear all sorts of talk about get you more hours/higher pay, but nothing actually happens.

Pros

20-40% employee discount

Cons

long shifts w/ minimum breaks, horrible communication between management & employees, management protected by corporate when there is a problem between management & employee

It’s a good college job

The work is honestly pretty easy and a lot of the time there isn’t a whole lot to do. At my location the managers were very nice and fair with the schedules

Pros

Discount, management

Cons

Low pay

Horrible hours

Only thing I liked about that job were some of my coworkers that i still talk to this day. They gave horrible hours, made you work Friday- Sunday from 11 am to 8 pm. Made you do too many tasks and paid minimum wage. I worked there during the holiday season and it was tiresome. My manager was ok, lied to us about having covid. One of the managers got mad when i had to call out because i had something school related telling me this job should be priority.

Pros

Cons

long hours, minimum wage

No longer opened and sadly missed

Job was challenging however the employees I worked with were outstanding! Truly miss all of them. My role as a Loss prevention detective allow me to interact with staff as well as customers, I really enjoyed that aspect of the job.

Pros

reduced meals

Cons

only part time hours+

Digging their own grave

I imagine in a few years Barnes & Noble is going to run itself into the ground again. I loved my job at first; I love being around books, talking to people about books, and just having those organic, genuine conversations with people. I love the actual job description of my job. But… with how horrible management has been, it has not been worth it. I’m stressed constantly when I’m at work and I get paid very little for everything I’m expected to do as a manager. I constantly feel like I could get fired for no reason at all and I don’t trust any of my coworkers to have my back when things get hectic. It’s very disheartening, but the company just doesn’t care about its employees. It honestly has not been worth my mental and emotional health.

Pros

If you’re full time, you at least get benefits and dental. 40% discount is nice.

Cons

Terrible management, laughable pay, customers treating you like garbage, company policies changing constantly, excessively high turnover rate.

Relaxed environment

Manegment is nice and understanding. Work environemnt is generally pretty relaxed. Hours can be unreliable depending on the time of the year. Good option a student.

Great people

Best place to work I would recommend it has good hours good pay entry level for the pay very good place to work at very positive staff and people that always help

Very Unique

Working at a bookstore is an experience unlike any other. Feels intrinsically rewarding and purposeful. It can be the best and the worst employment decision you've ever made depending on your geographic location, cultural trends, and the overall economy.

Pros

The products and customers

Cons

Low pay and job insecurity

Fun work place.

Great place to work. I would have stayed forever, but they don’t pay worth a hoot! Always worked with you for days off that were needed. Best customers in the world.

Cons

Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K

InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight