Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Changes daily.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 24, 2018
Your day will consist of walking the store for merchandising tasks. Creating the daily schedule. Observing employees for sales behaviors. Ensuring company priorities are met.
Pros
Fair compensation
Cons
Company has no direction
Bookseller or bibliophile
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 24, 2018
Daily time spent rotating stock and keeping shelves clean, working information desk to find or order books needed, put them in customer hands, some time on cash registers.
Learned about inventory control and placement of stock.
Management rotated fairly frequently in upper levels, lower levels were fairly steady.
Booksellers were encouraged to check out books so they could be reviewed/recommended by us, and to come to presentations by publisher reps, with Advanced Reading Copies to take home.
The clutter around the cashier line made it difficult to tell when another cashier needed to be called.
Getting hands on books early and sharing recommendations with other bibliophiles, employed there or as customers was wonderful.
Pros
ARCs and checking books out
Cons
difficulty of seeing line at registers.
My experience
Digital Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 24, 2018
Worked at Barnes & Noble Booksellers for over 7 years(full time), was laid off due to the company streamlining its labor plan. I enjoyed the store I worked at, I always had hours, my managers were wonderful, and all my co-workers were helpful and insightful people.
Pros
Discount
Cons
High employee turnover in some departments
Fun work environment and pleasant customers
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Springfield, NJFebruary 24, 2018
Altogether an excellent place to work. In general, customers were extremely appreciative and thankful for our assistance in finding books. Co-workers were very friendly and managers gave helpful training advice. Was able to learn about newly written literature and literature new to me.
Pros
Worked with books, detail orientated, pleasant customers
Cons
Low pay, occasionally odd work hours
Despite one bad manager, it was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 23, 2018
A typical day of work consisted of me helping customers and/or students find textbooks, seeing if students could use financial aid to purchase textbooks, and checking out merchandise. I learned how to use a cash register for merchandise and how to use the computer to find out if someone could use financial aid. The management was OK. One manager was really good, but the other one was kind of rude; the rude manager was sadly much ruder to the female employees than the male employees. The workplace culture was really good. employees tried to hard to make sure everyone enjoyed coming to work. The hardest part of the job was that it was temporary. The most enjoyable part of the job that it was above minimum wage.
Pros
above minimum wage
Cons
temporary job
Great employee discount, not worth the pain.
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 23, 2018
The general manager at my particular store was a nightmare. I called out during a morning with dangerous weather and as punishment she took me off the schedule for the rest of the week. Once my car (a big van) windows were covered in ice and she told me to stand outside in 30 degree weather and scrape the ice off with a credit card. I'm a true Floridian and that just wont fly, it's not my responsibility to ensure you've scheduled enough coverage in case someone calls out.

They would also schedule just me to shelve the entire store by myself. 12 carts, 8 shelves per cart usually packed full of books, then she'd (the GM) get upset that I didn't finish my shelving. The rest of the management team was great, they were all really nice and helpful and understanding people. The cafe' crew was awesome and I enjoyed the company of most of my co-workers. The general manager was so horrible that I resigned after 6 months of working there.
Pros
30% off books, fun job, really great cafe, 50% cafe items
Cons
poor upper management, no PTO or benefits
Great job for book lovers
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOFebruary 22, 2018
Great cafe and fun activities for kids enhance workplace. Opportunity to read books before the release dates.Great employee benefits and discounts plus caring managers.
Pros
Great people
Manager (Current Employee) –  CTFebruary 22, 2018
Barnes & Noble has undergone changes in what they expect from their staff, and if you know how to actually sell something not just love to read this is a great job. The company understands their employees are more than just numbers, and do their best to work with you to make sure your work environment is happy. Booksellers are promoted, and given opportunities to train into the next level. Pay is not what it should be especially for management, but the job isn't very hard
Pros
30% discount on books 50% in cafe
Cons
Low pay
I thought they cared
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAFebruary 22, 2018
This company is going down because of short-sighted corporate management and a refusal to align their stated vision with their policies.

What was once a great bookstore has been eaten by the desire to cut costs and improve the bottom line for shareholders. Corporate would encourage a culture of "friendly local bookselling" and take publisher money to push terrible titles as "staff recommendations". They wanted to promote a culture of knowledgable sellers but eliminated the majority of their long-term staff.

A fine place to work if you want a short-term stint as a minimum-wage bookseller but don't approach this company with a long-term career goal.
Pros
Good discount, working with books is great
Not a boring job
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, KYFebruary 22, 2018
working in a bookstore was not anything I thought it would be. learning how to do the barcode system and checking out people when they were done shopping around. helping with displays and bring out new books and keeping track of what was in the store was all something I enjoyed learning in my time there.
Great place to work but low pay
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAFebruary 22, 2018
As a manager, I have a lot of things on my plate to accomplish, but I really enjoy the culture, talking with book-loving customers, and the team atmosphere. The only issue is that Barnes and Noble pays bottom of the barrel for your salary.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Low pay
Great experience
Head Cashier, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALFebruary 22, 2018
The Barnes and Noble management team in Dothan Al is excellent and really tries to work with you and understands when the unexpected happens. Communication between departments could be better but overall it's smooth sailing. It is difficult to get into a fulltime position but you can pick up hours as part time if you don't mind being called in or asked to stay late.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
hard to move up
Barnes and Noble bookSELLERS
Bookseller/Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTFebruary 22, 2018
A typical day at work is clocking in, helping customers, making sure customers buy things, recommending titles to help customers buy more, and then cleaning up the store the best you can and the fastest you can. Despite their flaws, barnes and noble is an excellent company to work for. The culture is palpable. There are plenty of decent managers work with and you have take the good with the bad. The hardest part of the job is being someone who loves to read and who maybe slightly introverted, attempting to sell memberships and titles to people who quite frankly, don't want to be bothered. Overall this is a good place to work.
Pros
Book discounts, advance copies
Cons
Job Security is not there.
Friendly environment to work in.
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD 21401February 21, 2018
An average day of work as a receiving manager consists of balancing out the constant flow of books coming in and going out and keeping everything running smoothly, effectively, and accurately.Organizing and sorting products to proper placements. Also my responsibility, delegating tasks to my team to see that everything was accurately received and sorted. I was able to expand and improve as a managerial skills reviewing my team and working on improving productivity. Management was exceedingly friendly and very easy to work with. One of the hardest part working there was , I often felt as though there was a lack of communication amongst the store manager and assistant managers, as well as corporate to stores. What i most enjoyed about working for the company was the friendly environment of staff, working with the best team i could ask for, as well as observing the new product as it came in.
Pros
Good coworkers and atmosphere, good benefits for retail.
Cons
somewhat lack of communication between corporate and stores
Head Cashier and Cash Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MIFebruary 21, 2018
Enjoyed work

Challenging

Good team culture

Wanted to continue, but position was eliminated in a company-wide layoff

Overall good store management

Enjoyed supervisory responsibilites
Pros
Book Loan program
Cons
Short lunch hours
Goal Oriented & Character Building
MUSIC SELLER/BOOK SELLER (Current Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYFebruary 21, 2018
My experience at Barnes and Noble has shaped my work ethic. I wish to only see this company prosper even if I someday choose to leave my storefront. The customer service was my favorite part. Helping others find what they need and fulfilling my position brought pride to my sense of bein,
Book nerd's paradise to work at.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 21, 2018
Clock in, assist customers with finding books that they need. There were a variety of cultures that came to work there. It was overall a great experience because you get to learn about so many different books that are out there that you probably wouldn't hear about otherwise.
They have no job advancement oppertunity
Digital Lead (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 21, 2018
This was a great place to work until Corp. decided to fire all seasoned full time staff. they will only hire part time at min. wages from this point on. The customer service of the stores went from great to barely there because of the lack of personal and experience. I would have to say this is not a safe place to work right now due to the lack of job security.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Treat employees as non assets and are only worried about member card sign ups
Freaking Awesome
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  ArkansasFebruary 21, 2018
Great atmosphere and fantastic people to work with. Working at Barnes and Noble makes one look forward to going to work. The management is helpful and there is little workplace drama.
Pros
Discounts on all merchandise
Cons
Slacks
Great for college students and part time employees
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTFebruary 21, 2018
The individual stores have very different environments to work for. Most are their own little family which is nice. Unfortunately the company is on a down hill slide and eliminating all full time positions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.1K