Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 4,334 reviews matching the search See all 4,347 reviews
Good enough job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Dundee, ILJune 24, 2019
Work is a bit repetitive but I'm given a large enough degree of autonomy that I don't get too bored. Tasks are fairly simple and while selling memberships is difficult, the low amount needed makes it achievable.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
n/a
Flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 23, 2019
I became apart of the Barnes and Noble team while I was a college student. The hours were flexible and I could rearrange them around my class schedule
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
full time hours to attain healthcare not available
Competitive in the wrong way
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJune 23, 2019
Because of the need to make a 3% every shift. Even short 4 hr ones not on a register. To make membership sales to get raises it became to hard to work for and health was uncared for with this company.
If this is for you go ahead
Seller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2019
It was an okay job. The manager was the issue that made the job so tiring and irritating and non-enjoyable. Discounts were great though. Breaks were good too.
Did not enjoy
Asst/Manager (Former Employee) –  South Florida, FLJune 22, 2019
Really did not enjoy working here.
Allot of gossip and drama in the building
Hours were very long if you closed you didn’t get out till 1130 at night and have to be there by 7 am next day for the Starbucks cafe crew.
Allot of waste paperback books for returns the cover ripped off and books thrown away. If you like to read which I do you could check out books for free matter of fact was a requirement for selling
If books are your thing you might like but probably not the hours.
Spotty
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 21, 2019
Working for BN was amazing and had it's perks of meeting new people the daily grind of selling memberships and the flexible options given for shifts..
Pros
Meeting new people, sense of success when selling memberships, ability to buy / read new books before everyone else
Cons
Inconsistent breaks, TERRIBLE management and lack of raise and promotion
Fun place, horrible wages
Barista (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 21, 2019
The managers were cool and it was fun but they only hire part time so they don't have to give anyone benefits, and the hourly wage sucked with no tips. The break policies are also ridiculous because they make you clock out then stand in line instead of just quickly making and buying your food before you go. It's a sinking company and unless you don't need money, I wouldn't recommend it.
Productive workplace with lots of opportunities to meet new people
Bookseller/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 21, 2019
Barnes and noble was my first job when moving to Delaware. The environment is fun, accepting and casual for people who need to fit in. Some of the "bookseller culture" can be considered frustrating and at times unfair in a world pushing away from books.
Great family feeling
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJune 21, 2019
when I was working here It made me feel like I was a part of a huge family. the atmosphere was always loving and everyone was willing to help if there were issues.
Pros
employee discount
Great if you love books. Poor pay and benefits.
Receiver / Stocker (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJune 20, 2019
Barnes & Noble is a decent company. Management tends to be understanding, and HR reacts to employee issues in a timely manner. Like many retailers, the company does not offer significant pay, and the lack-luster benefits are for full-time employees only. Opportunities for advancement are slim. The company has suffered in recent years from CEO turnover, creating a lack of vision. Often Barnes & Noble feels like a company clinging to its past successes.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere. Books and books!
Cons
Pay and benefits are not impressive. Company lacks vision
Fun work place
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 19, 2019
I enjoyed working for this company they gave me a chance when no one else would. The management was excellent. They were understanding and working with my comrades and students also the facility was a life learning experience.
great
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 19, 2019
good honest company with a lot of hard working and kind employees wouldn't regret having another go here but gotta keep moving up. its easy to get stuck in a spot here.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 19, 2019
Packing items for customers orders and specials orders that would have to go out on time. The job is temp to hire. I would recommend to lots of people
Calm and homey atmosphere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 17, 2019
The staff is very relaxed and open to new ideas or new changes. The building itself gives off a homey vibe which is very relaxing for choosing something as a gift for someone or yourself.
Clean & Good Place To Work
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJune 17, 2019
A typical day at Barnes & Noble is opening the store and setting everything up, making sure everything looks nice and orderly and helping customers out as much as you can,the people are very friendly and helpful if you need questions awnsered.
Pros
Long Breaks & Bonuses
Cons
No free anything
Na
Merchandise and Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 17, 2019
NA i dont want to say any more i want to be done with this review but i guess i just have to keep typing and i suppose this is good practice for typing quickly in an administrative assistant job which is why i am trying to use this website.
Sometimes I Love It, Sometimes I Hate It
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 15, 2019
I really enjoyed working at Barnes and Noble when I started, but now I feel like I'm left to do too much for too little. It might just be my store, but I feel like no one truly knows what they're doing and I'm left to pick up the slack. The management is often careless when it comes to paid time off and vacation time. I was demoted from a position because I did not have full availability due to school, which is understandable, but I was still expected to perform the same tasks with a pay cut, no benefits, and similar hours. The company as well has lost a lot of it's love for its employees. They're very focused on money and trying to keep the company afloat that they're forgetting to treat those who take care of the stores and make their money with respect. I still love the company, but I feel like they're not approaching things the right way.
Great team to work with
Sales/Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJune 14, 2019
I completely enjoyed working for B&N. They tried to work around days you wanted off so there was work/life balance. Everyone had different passions so you learn from others. Enjoyed sharing my passion for books with customers. There was some stress with having a small staff, lots of projects, and helping customers. You have to know how to prioritize and manage time. But great environment!
Fun place to work
Sales & Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLJune 14, 2019
I was not an avid reader when I got hired. Over the years I have grown to love reading when ever I get the chance. The company, or at least the managers I have had were very accommodating and believed in work life balance. You will get a lot of hands on experience with setting displays.
Pros
discount, great co-workers, good benefits
Cons
short staffed, to many metrics
Quiet fun place to work
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GA 30092June 14, 2019
On a typical day I would put out new products and assure that my area of the store was clean. I was I. Charge of checking out customers, and selling them memberships and plans to help customers save.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K
41.5K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Barnes & Noble.

Powered by Comparably