Barnes & Noble

3.1Pay & Benefits

Found 193 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,864 reviews
noblebookbooksellercafebookstorediscountstoreretail

Fast paced work environment

Fast paced but co-workers were nice. It was fast paced especially during the lunch hours. A decent work environment and co-workers were helpful. You get reduced prices on the menu.

People are amazing!

I loved the people I worked with. Everyone was so nice, and it felt like a family. However, the pay for the work I was doing was not near enough. It could cover gas, and gas only. Not only that, but we had to do manager work and go above and beyond in so many ways that it felt like I wasn't a barista, but I was a manager. I cared about the job so much, and I did want to stay, but for the pay I was offered, I couldn't. It was a lovely first job, however.

Pros

Discounts, good environment

Cons

Poor healthcare, subpar wages, high stress

Barnes & Noble insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Management was horrible and terrible pay

It was fun when it began, but the compensation was horrible, customers were incredibly rude, and managers were not much better. The schedules came out sporadically.

Pay is low will work with your hours

The pay is low but the hours are fine if you’re a favorite.. management was subpar. Cafe Manager was always a mess, employee discounts weren’t worth it.

Terrible management

Worst management I’ve ever seen. There’s a reason so many people quit. Short breaks. Have gone many eight hour shifts with no break. This place really sucks.

Super fun!! Would totally work here again

Working in the cafe was so much fun. The customers are super sweet but it does depend what time of the week it is/season. The music is relaxing and the training is thorough. Nobody expects you to know everything up front and barnes actually has great benefits if you stay long enough.

You meet a lot of different people and the regular customers make it the best.

It was ok but the workers are childish and management is always changing. Availability is never actually taken into account but the tips are nice. It’s a great starting point to get experience but it’s really tough moving up. You at least need three years to move up.

Pros

Free tall selected drink everyday

Cons

Short breaks, long hours, short staff

cool coworkers but poor upper management

cons: only got paid minimum wage, no free food/drinks, poor communication amongst employees/management, little-to-no time off during holidayspros: cool coworkers, good discount

Low pay/low hours

The job is simple enough, most of the employees are also pretty nice but management isn't the best. Really low pay, and they gave out raises/bonuses only to drastically cut hours.

Fun

Fun but can be stressfulFlexible scheduleSupportive managementOk coworkersHad to work certain holidaysMost hours are given to seniority workers.Good place to start for 1st job

Horrible management and no room for growth

Management expects you to do the work of two positions above you, while receiving half of the pay. People in upper management will treat you like you are not worthy and make you jump through ridiculous hoops to move up in the store. They show no concern for the well being of their employees, as they consistently run a short staffed cafe and make up excuses as to why they can’t hire more people. This job is entirely too stressful for the ridiculous minimum wage pay you will receive.

Nice environment, city makes you pay parking

Overall decent place to work, coworkers and supervisors are great. However at the Mac Arthur Center location you are expected to pay for your parking but you do get a discount on monthly parking passes.

Pros

Discounted food and books

Cons

Pay for parking

Stale company

Benefits are bad and they don’t appreciate their employees. Management just cares about sales, while disregarding their workers. However, everyone else I worked with were extremely friendly.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Boring, bad management

Mostly Great Environment, Rough Pay

I really loved Barnes and Noble for the people, my coworkers, my managers, and especially the flexibility! They were great about working with me on my changing schedule with outside projects. The few downsides were that it was hard to get enough hours sometimes, and they were only able to raise the pay to $10 at my location. Most of my coworkers were working 2 jobs in order to just get by. It was unsustainable, which was the reason why I left. Occasionally there would be some tensions between coworkers (management as well), but I credit that to misunderstandings. I would definitely go back if I could!

Fun workplace with great people, bad management.

It was fun working as a Barista for Barnes and Noble. The people that worked at Cafe were great, and making drinks was fun. However, that is where the praise ends for Barnes as management and workload were awful. Cafe workers were constantly being spread thin. They had one person doing both food orders and register, one person doing both cold and hot drinks, and then a cafe manager doing managerial tasks like meetings, orders, etc. In addition, the barista doing register on top of having to do food orders also has to accept mobile orders and upsell any customers they are currently servicing. Booksellers have something called a goal card that they are given at the start of their shift, indicating how many monthly picks and memberships they should have by the end of their shift. The store manager coaches them if they do not reach "their" goal. At times with the pressure of hitting goals, booksellers will leave the book floor in a less than ideal state in order to reach their goals.If there is any downtime (rarely the case), baristas have to do something called weekly and daily tasks for the Cafe. Most of these tasks are never accomplished because there are not enough hands on deck. Then the pressure is on by the cafe manager to do all this, and workers are left drained and discouraged at not being able to meet these expectations. Customers are left dissatisfied because the service is slow since the barista that should only register is juggling multiple tasks. Booksellers have to upsell a $25 membership to each customer or get them to renew their membership and sell the -

Good work life balance.

I enjoyed working at Barnes and Nobles. It was a fun and accepting environment and management was great. We were always able to go on our breaks and lunches and the employee discount is good.

Nice

Pretty decent place to work I’d say. Lots of good people and difficult customers but at the end of the day it’s not as bad as corporate starbucks or others.

Basically Starbucks but Without the Bucks

I think Barnes & Noble Café is a great place to work as long as you have good management. With being a barista it’s usually a faster pace and being able to effectively handle situations under stress is needed. It’s something that if you’re a people person or want to get out of your shell can be very fun. It can be a great environment with the support of management and fellow baristas.It’s basically like working at Starbucks with less hourly pay, no free drinks and no benefits like stocks, schooling help,etc.

Pros

Fast Paced Good Environment

Cons

No Benefits Low Pay

Not enough pay.

If you’ve ever had the thought that you wish you could go back to high school, didn’t want to be compensated for how much you are worth, or thought that maybe being alive wasn’t stressful and chaotic enough as it is, then this is definitely the place for you. The lack of pay, benefits, opportunity for growth, and terrible management were all things that I had the displeasure of witnessing when working here. Everyone was childish, there was a major lack of communication, gossip about other co-workers, and a lot of hypocrisy to boot. Not only were the managers extremely immature for their ages, only two of them actually did any work. The others you could find up in the office or down by the customer service desk just chatting away while everything around them was on fire. Oh, you want help? We don’t know the meaning of the word. And a tip jar for café even though you don’t get a free drink or meal while being at work? Ha. Forget it. You see, if the book floor can’t have one then why would you as a service worker ever expect that you could be compensated in that way? This place makes my skull feel like it might explode from rolling my eyes so hard. It’s really just not worth it unless you enjoy inflicting suffering upon yourself.

Management is awful

Management will write you up for the pettiest reasons. Outdated computer systems, low pay, no benefits. The hire managers who have no experience and expect me to report to them when I am also expected to train them because they don't hire from within.

Pros

discount

Cons

literally everything else

Good job

The work was good but the pay was pretty low and there usually weren't enough hours to go around for everyone. I miss working around books all the time.