Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Found 4,324 reviews matching the search See all 4,337 reviews
Fun work place
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJune 19, 2019
I enjoyed working for this company they gave me a chance when no one else would. The management was excellent. They were understanding and working with my comrades and students also the facility was a life learning experience.
great
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 19, 2019
good honest company with a lot of hard working and kind employees wouldn't regret having another go here but gotta keep moving up. its easy to get stuck in a spot here.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 19, 2019
Packing items for customers orders and specials orders that would have to go out on time. The job is temp to hire. I would recommend to lots of people
Calm and homey atmosphere
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 17, 2019
The staff is very relaxed and open to new ideas or new changes. The building itself gives off a homey vibe which is very relaxing for choosing something as a gift for someone or yourself.
Clean & Good Place To Work
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJune 17, 2019
A typical day at Barnes & Noble is opening the store and setting everything up, making sure everything looks nice and orderly and helping customers out as much as you can,the people are very friendly and helpful if you need questions awnsered.
Pros
Long Breaks & Bonuses
Cons
No free anything
Na
Merchandise and Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 17, 2019
NA i dont want to say any more i want to be done with this review but i guess i just have to keep typing and i suppose this is good practice for typing quickly in an administrative assistant job which is why i am trying to use this website.
Sometimes I Love It, Sometimes I Hate It
Bookseller (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 15, 2019
I really enjoyed working at Barnes and Noble when I started, but now I feel like I'm left to do too much for too little. It might just be my store, but I feel like no one truly knows what they're doing and I'm left to pick up the slack. The management is often careless when it comes to paid time off and vacation time. I was demoted from a position because I did not have full availability due to school, which is understandable, but I was still expected to perform the same tasks with a pay cut, no benefits, and similar hours. The company as well has lost a lot of it's love for its employees. They're very focused on money and trying to keep the company afloat that they're forgetting to treat those who take care of the stores and make their money with respect. I still love the company, but I feel like they're not approaching things the right way.
Great team to work with
Sales/Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJune 14, 2019
I completely enjoyed working for B&N. They tried to work around days you wanted off so there was work/life balance. Everyone had different passions so you learn from others. Enjoyed sharing my passion for books with customers. There was some stress with having a small staff, lots of projects, and helping customers. You have to know how to prioritize and manage time. But great environment!
Fun place to work
Sales & Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLJune 14, 2019
I was not an avid reader when I got hired. Over the years I have grown to love reading when ever I get the chance. The company, or at least the managers I have had were very accommodating and believed in work life balance. You will get a lot of hands on experience with setting displays.
Pros
discount, great co-workers, good benefits
Cons
short staffed, to many metrics
Quiet fun place to work
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GA 30092June 14, 2019
On a typical day I would put out new products and assure that my area of the store was clean. I was I. Charge of checking out customers, and selling them memberships and plans to help customers save.
It was a fun place to work during college.
Cashier (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2019
During my undergraduate years, I worked here at Barnes and Noble USF Bookstore. It was a fun place to work. I got paid minimum wage. It was my first job ever so I got the hang of it. I enjoyed the trinkets and dorm room supplies they always had available. Everything was cute and collegiate. I helped students find their textbooks. It was during my off times while I finished my bachelor's degree. I left there and that was it.
retail management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 13, 2019
Overall training has improved now from when I first started with the company. Once all the training moved to online with timeline and deadlines (on the job training with pay) all levels of training became much more easier to manage and maintain.
Pros
Great benifets
Cons
as store manager we work many hours over the 45 required
Barnes and Noble
Bookseller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 12, 2019
When I worked at Barnes and Noble I helped customers find the books that they were looking for. Working there was pretty good, usually it was a relaxed environment except during rushes and when managers needed certain tasks completed.
fun workinng on a campus bookstore
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2019
I enjoyed working at Barnes and nobles college as I was on campus and got to be around students like myself. I learnt a lot of things about books, and the days were always different depending on the period of the year which I loved.
Leader in their Industry
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe Twp, NJJune 12, 2019
The warehouse office team was very professional. Many perks for all employees, including subsidized cafeteria, and gym. Demanding but fair. Tough to compete with so much competition, I hope they survive!
Terrible Place to Work
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 11, 2019
I worked at Barnes and Noble in Reno, NV as a Warehouse Clerk. I'm of Hispanic decent, however, I was shocked and utterly surprised that the supervisor would conduct her morning meetings in Spanish when there were obviously other workers who were not of Hispanic decent and did not understand the language. I found it highly offensive. This facility seems to have a bias in hiring Hispanics. There were maybe a handful of workers who did not understand the language and who were not of Hispanic descent. I felt terrible for them because they would ask what was said in the meeting. It also felt like a prison. During our orientation, we were given a clear fanny pack to use to carry our belongings in because security will check your bags when exiting the metal detectors, which you also have to go through to get to your station. There is a bell that goes off for each break, which also make you feel like a prisoner. The break rooms are a distance away from your work area, so you have to make sure to rush to get a bathroom break and quickly eat your meal because if you do not get back in time, you are being talked to. I absolutely not recommend this place unless you are absolutely desperate.
Fun Job for a college student who also loves to read
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clark, NJJune 11, 2019
While working here I wore many hats. I was cross trained. I worked the register, in the cafe as well as worked on the book floor. Most of my time was spent in the cafe, unless they were short a person on the register or on the bookfloor. I love being cross trained because there is opportunity to work extra hours and receive more money on your check. The only downside is if you're over hours or if they don't have enough hours, your hours get cut. That's retail in general unfortunately.
Good Place to Work
Bookseller (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 10, 2019
I worked at a high-volume store, which meant we where often very busy. For the most part, I enjoyed working there, but, being a part-time retail job, pay was low. However, when I worked there, I did get benefits, including health, dental, and vision insurance, which is very rare for part-time retail.
The biggest downside would be the almost daily call to come in to cover someone else. If you are a good worker, they will call often, so your home life is spent watching the phone.
Otherwise, I enjoyed my time at B&N.
Pros
Discount, each day was different
Cons
Low pay, on-call shifts, some less-than-ideal managment styles
Poor management
Bookseller/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 10, 2019
poor management and high turnover meant that very few of us were actually cross-trained to work in the entire store; in the entire 11 months I worked there, I was never given more than a brief overview of the children's section on the second floor.

Having said that, the manager who seemed to be the source of the problem no longer works there.
Wonderful if you need a part time job with no benefits and if you love books.
Information and front-end sales clerk, part-time (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 10, 2019
Management was kind and willing to train you well, especially if you come on during the pre-Holiday hiring, but their talk of future potential was all lip service. The Manager I worked for retired 2 years ago so I can't speak to how the Broadway branch is being managed these days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K
41.5K

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight