Barnes & Thornburg LLP Employee Reviews

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 10, 2018
Very friendly co-workers. You are treated as part of a team by the entire office. They have numerous events to show everyone how appreciated you are. It is the little things that count and they know this.
Patent Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 27, 2018
The work culture and B&T (FW office) was awesome! There was good camaradarie among everyone, even folks on different teams, we all got along very well.
Productive yet Challenging Atmosphere to work
Windows System Support Administration (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 4, 2018
I started at Barnes & Thornburg LLP April 2001. I started out on our helpdesk. A year later i was promoted to Desktop Support. A year after that I was promoted to Systems/Network Team. I have gained so much knowledge regarding IT pretty much in every sense. From building servers, managing/converting over 900 users from groupwise to exchange outlook. I am pretty much the go to person for Active Directory. Setting up new user accounts, distribution groups, security groups. Many other duties including monitoring our Network Performance and Backing up Data.
Good Place to Start
Attorney (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 9, 2018
First job out of law school. Stressful, but the work was very interesting and I learned a lot about employment law and the overall practice of law. My supervisor was good, but the senior attorney in the group was overly demanding and critical.
Donuts every Friday
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
I worked with Barnes for 13 years and 4 months. I was hired as a Legal Assistant. When I first started with Barnes things were great. I had very busy days.The attorney I was hired to support retired 3 1/2 years ago and things just started going downhill from there.
Pros
Donuts every Friday, unlimited juice, coffee, tea(s) and sodas
Cons
Excellent pay and benefits
Productive and fun place to work.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Patent/Litigation) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2018
Since the new Office Administrator things have changed. Very strict on time Office Administrator with no leave way towards anything. Everything done exactly by the book with even more things added. Controlling environment.
Pros
Staff and attorneys are very easy going and great to work with
Cons
Strict and feel like you cannot talk to your coworkers
Barnes & Thornburg Friendly Colleagues, Supportive Work Culture
Legal Assistant - Litigation (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INSeptember 2, 2017
This is a wonderful firm for both support staff and attorneys. I thoroughly enjoyed my short time here in an office in South Bend, Indiana. The attorneys are professional, smart, hard-working, and also very kind and supportive. I always felt appreciated for my contributions as a legal administrative assistant. Indeed, lovely people work in this office!
Pros
Wonderful resources; pleasant and supportive supervisors
Cons
No overtime compensation
My Review Summay
Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 1, 2017
Typical work day was filled with multiple task that required numerous hats to be worn in order to accomplish the days work.

Worked in multiple billing systems.

Had 25 + attorneys to bill for with each attorney having multiple clients.

Management was dependable and consistent.

Responded to emails from attorneys, their admins and legal assistants, as well, as emails from fellow billers and the collections department.

I learned a new and invaluable skill that I hope to utilize with a new firm.

The hardest/enjoyable parts are the same. It was challenging, frustrating and rewarding all at the same time. Developing the interpersonal relationships with the attorneys, legal assistants, admins and the other billers. Learning to understand the legal language and the various systems.
Pros
Mastering Multi-tasking
Cons
Training was to short
Overall - Nice Law Firm
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 28, 2017
Top Law Firm in the U.S., great benefits and diverse culture.
Family oriented values and support among all employees of the firm.
Fundraisers, Community Oriented Events
Pros
Great Exposure To Diverse Work For Clients and Lawyers
Cons
Limited Professional Growth with Firm
Great pay and great benefits
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 26, 2017
Best private law firm for which I ever worked. Good people. Comfortable surroundings. But very demanding work. Very stressful. Four attorneys to one assistant. Worked through lunches often.But I learned a lot and was learning something new every day. Great training!
Pros
Good people
Cons
Demanding
Good Law Firm to Work For in Chicago
Docketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Barnes & Thornburg. Management is good, except HR. Docketing department is very small and often has high workloads for the amount of staff. Might have gotten betters since I left.
Midwestern Law Firm
Litigation Support Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 12, 2016
I've been working at BT for over 14yrs now and it is a great place to work. The attorneys and staff are very knowledgeable and I enjoy the atmosphere within the firm. I have learned and taught myself a lot about eDiscovery over the last 9yrs working within the litigation support department.
Pros
Flexibility regarding hours
Cons
Na
Good Place to work
Legal Administrative Assistant (Litigation/Patent) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 11, 2016
I enjoyed working at B&T, moral was great and a good team of staff. Everyone was willing to assist in a crunch. It is a good company.
Nice place to work.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 3, 2016
With the various jobs that I have had here at Barnes and Thornburg, a typical day varies, you can come in and it can be very busy or you can come in and it's very slow. There are many training programs you can learn through our site BTCONNECT which the firm is always promoting for us as employees to do. Co-workers are very enjoyable and make you fell welcome. Management is very good about informing staff of policies and procedures.
Almost killed me
Assistant in Accounting (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisJanuary 23, 2016
I was not with the firm for very long. All I can say is that I have never been treated so badly in my life. There is a playground mentality amongst the "teams". A great deal of corporate bullying is present. I was insulted and lied about and basically tormented until I was waking up crying in the middle of the night. I almost had to go to the hospital on several occasions because of the stress and anxiety. I was forced to submit two weeks notice without having anything lined up because I came very close to harming myself. I am very blessed that I was able to find a new job that may not pay much but they genuinely care about me as a person. I have been trying very hard to put the experience behind me but it's hard not to be bitter. The money is not worth it.
Pros
Salary, benefits, free sodas
Cons
Incompetent HR, untrustworthy management, an overall sea of lies
Good People to work with
Legal Patent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 7, 2015
Although the management changed near my departure, overall the people are great. It does seem that they do not like long term employees and put them in a float position as a way to encourage leaving. I do not think the lawyers managed the personnel and left that simply to human resource department.
Pros
people
Cons
Human Resources
Law Firm
IT Systems Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2014
Serving clients from 50 practice & industry areas focused on litigation, intellectual properties, labor & employment, government services, corporate law, real estate, and health care.
Great enviornment, office manager is not a people orientated.
Admin Support, Event Organizer, Reception, Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2013
I really liked working at this firm, although there was daily unnessary stress that the office administrator added to the firm staff as a whole.
Pros
Free pop, coffee and tea.
Cons
Stress