Barney Trucking Employee Reviews

Middle of the road
Driver (Current Employee) –  UtahApril 12, 2018
No chance for advancement, no pay increase, expensive healthcare, most managers aren't concerned with assisting drivers. Do your job you will be treated fine. If you need help or information talk to other drivers don't bother with management.
Great place to grow and learrn
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 27, 2018
My job allows me to create strong working relationships with some amazing team players in multiple locations in 5 different states. It is also wonderful to work for a company with the stability of 70 years in business that continues to grow.
You will not make anywhere near the salary posted in ad
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 7, 2017
Loads always canceled so you get random days off and never your scheduled days off. No shift differential for nights. Real salary is about 55 k a year. They are always desperate for drivers good place to start out of driving school to get experience to get a better paying hazmat job.
Pros
Good starting point for new drivers
Cons
Load pay really low
barney paid you for every thing you did at work, including breathing.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZNovember 4, 2017
best company i ever worked for. i ran the acid route for them. got paid
$2500.00 for 6 days work. got hurt and couldnt go back. great company. best $
Pros
Barney pays you lots and lots of money for working.
Cons
nothing i would complain about.
Great Place to work
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVNovember 3, 2017
This was a great place to work. The home office is in Salina UT and I was working in Carlin, NV. I always had the support of my supervisors. I would still be there, but they closed the shop in Carlin.
Pros
Great Support
Cons
Shop closed
Not enjoyable
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 2, 2017
No communication at all, everything seems a secret you have to pry answers out of management. Its not very physical. Theyvhave no security for woman that work nights.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Daycrew
Awesome Family Owned Company!!!
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Salina, UTSeptember 26, 2017
I have worked for BT for over 30 years and I still enjoy going to work every day. This is a family owned company and I love my job.
The Barney family are good honest people and they truly care about their employees! I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a career - not just a job.
Pros
Great equipment
Cons
The trailers are getting old, but are still well maintained.
Great Trucking Company
Other (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2017
Barney operates in many places and the main location I worked from is the Salt Lake Terminal. The Salt Lake Terminal has some of the best management who cares for their employees development and growth. During my time there I was able to learn and develop which lead me to further my career. Overall its a great trucking company.
Could use improvement
Coal Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTJuly 19, 2017
They do not communicate well with other driver managers when entering new positions.
Severe lack of communication
Blow a tire 6-8 hrs no pay while you wait
Break down at mines wait for sometimes from 12-14 hrs no pay
When mines don't keep roads plowed is the hardest
Official response from Barney Trucking
September 13, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are working hard to improve in these areas. As of 09/01, Barney Trucking offers Breakdown Pay for our drivers.

Watch your back!
Driver / Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  UtahJune 24, 2017
Barney is very cut throat. The owners/upper management only seem to care about the bottom line and themselves. They treat the middle managers (driver managers) very badly. I was yelled at and belittled by the owner on more than one occasion. Co workers were no better. Name calling and belittling another employee from other departments in email chains seems to be common with this group. You never know if your job is safe from day to day, as I found out when I was fired for no apparent reason and then never given an explanation. I still dont know why I was let go because no one in upper managemnt would return my calls. What im saying is, just watch your back if your brave enough to give these guys a shot.
Pros
You will work more than a lot.
Cons
Unstable workplace, negative work atmosphere and too many more to list.
work life family life balance
Load Planner Managed 125 company drivers (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTJune 19, 2017
I was required to work 14-16 hours a and also be on call 24/7 for drivers and customers, this did not give me much time for a quality family life. the company held summer and Christmas parties for the employee's and their families.
Single mom testimonial
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Salina, UTMay 17, 2017
As a single mom, Barney Trucking has been a great employer for me. They are very family oriented, as to which I am very grateful. I am able to attend my children's activities in the day without worrying about losing my job. They are very understanding when it comes to missing work for sickness and or other personal issues. I have my own health and dental insurance coverage as well as 401k, and still bring home a good steady paycheck. Management is very understanding and you can go to them with concerns and frustrations and they do their best to address those issues. I love my job at Barney Trucking.
Pros
Very family Oriented
Great when things are great
Driver (Current Employee) –  Beaver, UTApril 15, 2017
The actual job itself is really great. Only pitfall is when the coal mine we load from shuts down for unnecessary reasons and everyone on our fleet is shut down for an unknown amount of time.
High paced
Drive Manager (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTApril 6, 2017
They are a great Company to work for. Family oriented and they take care of the Employees. It can be stressful at times but that is part of the trucking industry.
Pros
Driver Appreciation
Cons
Stressful
No not a fun place to work at all
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Penrose ColoradoNovember 23, 2016
Not sticking to the contract and not fulfilling them a big disappointment and then I was laid off lack of work they didn't fulfill their contract there's not much more to say except for it was a big disappointment they bought us new trucks and trailers
low safety standards in Cheyenne
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 9, 2016
good company at first but lack of experience in management in Cheyenne caused conflict between management and drivers . No vacation pay and very poor training methods most things you will figure out on your own be sure to have a record of everything because you can be brought in for issues even if it's 7 months ago
Pros
good fellow drivers
Cons
poor management and training no payed vacation and not home everyday as advertised
Official response from Barney Trucking
September 13, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. As of 09/01, Barney Trucking offers 10 PTO days and 6 paid holidays. You can also stay up-to-date on our ever improving safety scores provide by
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration at https://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SMS/Carrier/123729/Overview.aspx

Overall good company to work for
Driver Manager/Dispatcher/Billing &Payroll (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 6, 2016
This was a fantastic company to work for, however due to the economy my position was dissolved. I learned a number for skills over the course of my employment, dispatching, billing, scheduling vehicles for maintenance, and multitasking. My co-worker was a good asset as well, he made learning a fun experience. The hardest part of my job was learning how to dispatch drivers as we have to check the drivers daily logs to be compliant with DOT HOS. I enjoyed every aspect of this position!
Pros
Random visits from the owners.
Cons
Health care was very expensive
Lots of hours no incentive structure
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTFebruary 11, 2015
I found for steady work this is the place. They hardly ever give out raises there have been people there for 5 years and still making the same. It made me feel I was in a dead end job
Pros
steady work
Cons
no monetary acknowledgement
This was a great place to start my career I just want more.
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salina, UTAugust 18, 2014
I am happy to work here for now I just do not see very much room for advancement in my career here and am always open for personal improvement.
Pros
Full Benefits
Cons
Extremely stressful working environment
Honest and Friendly
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTJune 21, 2014
Employees cared about each other and it showed. Programs were in place to help employees that had troubles arise in there life, and the programs worked. Employees watched each others backs. A good healthy atmosphere.
Pros
Other employees
Cons
Could be difficult to take time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barney Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.