Barney Trucking Employee Reviews

2019 turned out to be a year
Coal hauler (Former Employee) –  Beaver, UTMarch 30, 2019
When I started in 2018 work was good. Only had a couple of weeks off that the mine was down. But in 2019 we had more days off then worked due to the mine. If you ask me a bunch of cowboys that run the Alton mine that have no clue of what there are doing not to mention equipment that would always break down But Barney was supposed to have other work for us but only a couple of times that we went to Sufco mine. Bottom line Barney makes promises they cannot keep
Pros
Work was great when there was great
Cons
Work like 2 weeks have a month off. Alton mine is unreliable
Safford , Az terminal
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZJanuary 28, 2019
Poor Communication since they put the new Regional Manager and dispatcher in there. You never know what loads your doing or if the mine is running or not they fail to tell you anything. Safety is a complete joke. Preach about a family in interview its not they will stab you anytime. Wasn't like this with the 3 Managers before this.
Great place
Office Help (Current Employee) –  Salina, UTJanuary 21, 2019
I had a good team at Barneys. They took really good care of me. Even when I was hurt they made it so I could work in the office and still get a paycheck.
Not a good place to work
Transport Driver, Driver Manager and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 9, 2019
They are not good people to work for. They are just waiting for the father to die so the kids can sale the business. That is the truth. My God this has been the worst mistake of my life. They are just about the bottom of the barrel.
Pros
Cons
No money, they try to screw you out of everything, 16 hour days the do not tell the truth about anything.
Official response from Barney Trucking
January 25, 2019

This review took us by surprise. Not because we are a perfect employer, but we are trying. It's due to several items in this review not being accurate.

First, we do not have or had a Driver Manager or Trainer in Las Vegas as claimed.

Second, we have been using E Logs for years which prevents us from running 16 hour days. We also double shift are trucks, which means another driver will be using the same vehicle within 12 hours.

Finally, our other reviews are favorable. This is due to our pay, safety record, equipment, and commitment to improving. Feel free to call us at 801-727-0988 to learn more about why drivers enjoying working with BT.

Thank you.

Work atmosphere
Driver, Operator (Current Employee) –  Salina, UTDecember 10, 2018
I am appreciative that I almost always have work. The equipment I use is new and repairs are handled quickly. Management seems concerned for my well being. It is a professional atmosphere where safety is paramount. Safety equipment and parts are always available.
Pros
weekly pay, and bonuses
Cons
my location
Large Company
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTDecember 2, 2018
12 hr shifts.
Good equipment.
Safety is a value.
Management is fair and objective.
They are good to address safety concerns with the trucks. If is is not right they will not put it on the road.
Pros
Newer equipment
Cons
Shift work.
Belly dump driver
Belly dump driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City UtOctober 25, 2018
I was hired to do a specific job at the company. Haul fly ash from Vernal Utah to Provo Utah. I was talked into another job with the promise of work throughout the year. This occurred on my first day of solo work. When the time came, I was told I needed to go to night shift and not the work I was told I would be doing. I refused to go to night shift. I was then told my services would not be needed any more and let go.
Pros
Cons
Bad experience for me.
Good Company
Coal haul driver (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTOctober 11, 2018
I love hauling coal. Barney let me do so with decent benefits, and enough work to keep food on the table. In general, for the industry, they didn't over work you.
Pros
plenty of work, management listens, and the best equipment.
Cons
little time off, low ceiling.
good place
Driver/operater (Former Employee) –  Delta, UTJuly 10, 2018
Barney Trucking was a great place to work. The pay was decent and the benefits were good. If there was a flat tire or a break down the truck was immediatley fixed or you were provided with a different truck within an hour or two. Overall I would recomend Barney Trucking to anybody who would like to work for a great company.
Bad driver manager
Driver (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTMay 7, 2018
New driver manager treated drivers badly. Didn't seem to care about driver safety or drivers family life. Expected drivers to drive personal vehicle over an hour one way to work with no warning and no compensation.
Middle of the road
Driver (Current Employee) –  UtahApril 12, 2018
No chance for advancement, no pay increase, expensive healthcare, most managers aren't concerned with assisting drivers. Do your job you will be treated fine. If you need help or information talk to other drivers don't bother with management.
Great place to grow and learrn
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 27, 2018
My job allows me to create strong working relationships with some amazing team players in multiple locations in 5 different states. It is also wonderful to work for a company with the stability of 70 years in business that continues to grow.
You will not make anywhere near the salary posted in ad
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 7, 2017
Loads always canceled so you get random days off and never your scheduled days off. No shift differential for nights. Real salary is about 55 k a year. They are always desperate for drivers good place to start out of driving school to get experience to get a better paying hazmat job.
Pros
Good starting point for new drivers
Cons
Load pay really low
barney paid you for every thing you did at work, including breathing.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZNovember 4, 2017
best company i ever worked for. i ran the acid route for them. got paid
$2500.00 for 6 days work. got hurt and couldnt go back. great company. best $
Pros
Barney pays you lots and lots of money for working.
Cons
nothing i would complain about.
Great Place to work
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carlin, NVNovember 3, 2017
This was a great place to work. The home office is in Salina UT and I was working in Carlin, NV. I always had the support of my supervisors. I would still be there, but they closed the shop in Carlin.
Pros
Great Support
Cons
Shop closed
Not enjoyable
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTNovember 2, 2017
No communication at all, everything seems a secret you have to pry answers out of management. Its not very physical. Theyvhave no security for woman that work nights.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Daycrew
Awesome Family Owned Company!!!
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Salina, UTSeptember 26, 2017
I have worked for BT for over 30 years and I still enjoy going to work every day. This is a family owned company and I love my job.
The Barney family are good honest people and they truly care about their employees! I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a career - not just a job.
Pros
Great equipment
Cons
The trailers are getting old, but are still well maintained.
Great Trucking Company
Other (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2017
Barney operates in many places and the main location I worked from is the Salt Lake Terminal. The Salt Lake Terminal has some of the best management who cares for their employees development and growth. During my time there I was able to learn and develop which lead me to further my career. Overall its a great trucking company.
Could use improvement
Coal Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salina, UTJuly 19, 2017
They do not communicate well with other driver managers when entering new positions.
Severe lack of communication
Blow a tire 6-8 hrs no pay while you wait
Break down at mines wait for sometimes from 12-14 hrs no pay
When mines don't keep roads plowed is the hardest
Official response from Barney Trucking
September 13, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are working hard to improve in these areas. As of 09/01, Barney Trucking offers Breakdown Pay for our drivers.

Watch your back!
Driver / Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  UtahJune 24, 2017
Barney is very cut throat. The owners/upper management only seem to care about the bottom line and themselves. They treat the middle managers (driver managers) very badly. I was yelled at and belittled by the owner on more than one occasion. Co workers were no better. Name calling and belittling another employee from other departments in email chains seems to be common with this group. You never know if your job is safe from day to day, as I found out when I was fired for no apparent reason and then never given an explanation. I still dont know why I was let go because no one in upper managemnt would return my calls. What im saying is, just watch your back if your brave enough to give these guys a shot.
Pros
You will work more than a lot.
Cons
Unstable workplace, negative work atmosphere and too many more to list.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barney Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.