Barr-Nunn Transportation Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!
office (Current Employee) –  Granger, IAJuly 3, 2018
As one of the nation's premier dry van carriers, Barr-Nunn Transportation operates around 550 power units, while focusing on safety and top-notch customer service. We are large enough to provide superior compensation packages, and small enough to provide the dedicated service and respect that professional drivers deserve.

Love working at Barr-Nunn. Great people to work for! Everyone has a positive attitude. Good pay, bonuses are wonderful.
Fun and enjoyable enviroment, easily to get along with
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  IowaJune 23, 2018
My employment time with barr-nunn transpotation was exciting and fast paced compared to a regular 9 to 5
I was and am always easy to get along with. I perform my job, and dutyily functioin in timely and mrderly fashion, that's with accordance to d.O. T. Rules and regulations...
Pros
going to different cities
Cons
Having to sit when needed to be unloaded or loeded
I loved BarrNunn!
CLASS A CDL TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 12, 2018
Absolutely great company to work for with great pay! As soon as they get their local positions back I will be returning. Best paycheck you will ever get trucking guaranteed! Runs were easy and stress free. 100% drop and hook no touch freight and was paid hourly for my time. Sad to have to leave.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Lost their local account :(
Great people to work with
Maintenance Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Manchester, PAMarch 10, 2018
Great place to work with good people. Very well maintained company with positive expectations on quality of work. Very strict employment process for shop employment.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Not much overtime
Best trucking company hands down..team
Team drivers (Current Employee) –  Granger iowaMarch 6, 2018
We have been with Barr Nunn for almost 5years and this company is by far the best company we have ever worked for and we have been around the market place hauling everything from produce to phaumacuticals.you are not a number here.they give their drivers respect as well as trust in the judgements they make in bad weather(in case they want to stop).the hometime is excellent but if you have any tyoe of family emergencies they totally understand and will put that firat and get you home asap.the pay is outstanding which makes even the slowest week a profitable one and the safety department has your back when anything is wrong with their equipment .the other pluses are .it's 90percent drop and hook the 90 day csa.bonuses are real and not controlled by fuel or mileage..detention pay is after 50 minutes of sitting and this is the only company we know of or worked for that gives you paid time off for the amount of miles you run.we are now in a mileage bracket that we earn 6 days of pto every 109k we run .I. addition to the pto day you get every 90 days with your csa bonus if you are clear of any citations or warnings..I can go on and on and on.but only you can make the decision to come and see for yourself..we will retire here..it's our home.dont take my word for it.come see for yourself.
Pros
Everything for us but everybody has bad days
Cons
No adverse western lanes .
Its what you make it.
Company Driver - Solo - OTR (Former Employee) –  Granger, IAFebruary 16, 2018
I think any trucking company will have its issues, but I will say the issues Barr-Nunn had wasn't the reason I left.

I stayed about 6 months and transferred due to family reasons. The pay was great, they treated me like an adult from day 1, I got consistent loads, detention pay was always on time, and they always got me home when I asked for time and for as long as I asked. No complaints.

The bad things about the company arent really that bad. Like the terminals are lacking but I'm sure that cuts down on overhead costs, which keeps driver pay up. I didn't get as much hazmat loads as they implied from the beginning but they also pay hazmat drivers more on regular loads. I had one incident where dispatch asked me to do something unsafe, but I made it out safely. Some of the dispatchers (not all) dont really care about the drivers but most of them are pretty friendly and will help out when needed.

Overall I had a good experience working there.
Pros
Pay, decent home time
Cons
Terminals need major work.
Just not a good place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 3, 2018
Southeast regional was never home for weekend as promised. Never got the miles I was told. Had to sit a average of 15 or more hours to next load. Always a nite load. I did get a new truck governor at 64 mph but only would do 63. Tried to talk to management to no avail. They just don't care.
Alot better than any other company.
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 18, 2017
I've been with B/N for a year.
About 75% is night driving, I don't mind bcuz less traffic to deal with.
The pay is great, miles avg 2500 to 2800.
Aft er insurance and child support is taken out I still have $900 to $1100 going in the bank.
These guys that complain about being fired for minor accidents were probably at fault, any company has the right to fire for an accident.
Or they say no time for showers, that's a lie also.
I always have time during my 10 hr break.
If you're a good, safe driver, know what you're doing and really want to reap the benefits of your skills and experience, try Barr Nunn.
Yes they do expect on time delivery.
Yes they expect the most from their drivers.
Yes they will run you.
And yes you will be content.
Try them out, you wont regret it.
They also pay $50 for load cancellations.
Pros
Good miles, easy runs, good staff, good equipment, great pay.
Cons
Running at night, may have 10 + hrs b4 next load pickup.
July 3, 2018

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to safety and service. We appreciate it.

Probably the least evil of the OTR carriers
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger, IANovember 6, 2017
Good pay, great equipment, very friendly dispatchers and office staff, consistent miles. The don't go to any states that require snow chains. If I ever had to go back out over the road, this is who I'd call first.
It is a fast passes work environment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Granger, IAOctober 10, 2017
I enjoy how fast passes it is. The pay and bonuses are nice but needing to be home on Saturdays. It is very stressful at time and can be a bit cut throats also at times
Very Stressful
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Granger, IASeptember 25, 2017
Very dangerous situations at times for drivers, No driver Loyalty, Do not get you home when you need to be home. Maintanence of trucks is spotty at best.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stress enviroment
Great place to start out
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Granger, IAJuly 28, 2017
I started out at Barr-Nunn on nigh shift. I had a great time there and learned alot but it is a place to start out not retire from. I had a great shop foreman that i learned alot from.
Was good, in the beginning
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger, IAApril 18, 2017
Like many other divers, I was promised a certain range of miles per week. That promise was 2000 - 2500 miles per week @ .40 + cents per mile. I got that every week for about two months. Out of nowhere I was sitting for a 24 hour period of time, once or twice a week... adding up to a whooping 1300 - 1500 miles per week...
Pros
Good pay per mile - great benefits
Cons
Low miles - Lots of down time between loads
July 3, 2018

We apologize that your miles dropped off for a period of time in 2017. We have been extremely busy all year and would love the opportunity to work with you again. All fleets have also had pay increases as well as increases to our bonuses.

top ratings
otr driver (Former Employee) –  grainger iowaMarch 27, 2017
very good company to work for they care about the drivers on time dispatch exellant peoples skill good runs for the drivers good home times modern equipment.
Made the best money of my life...
Virginia Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Granger, IAFebruary 9, 2017
I was in the Va Regional Fleet. Really didn't enjoy running the northeast constantly. But that where the population...and freight is. We hauled for UPS and FedEx. I was on straight overnight pulls from ups terminal, to ups terminal. Was home typically by daylight Friday morning, and went back to work on Sunday evening. Pay for 4 1/2 days being gone a week? My average gross was $1,150-$1,400 and my average bring home was $900-$1,200. Rest on your time off, and take every load they give you, and you will do awesome.
Pros
Money great and every weekend at home
Cons
Running the northeast...Got to know the GW bridge pretty well. Lol
Driver (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 25, 2017
Good pay great home time great 401 k the medical could be better and a little cheaper management could care a little more about the driver terminals need big improvements for drivers
Pros
401 k, high cpm, bonuses
Cons
A lot of back and forth days to nights
July 3, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We have been continually working to improve our outside terminals. This year we started the complete reconstruction of our Charlotte terminal. We are excited for this to be completed in 2019.

Run as fast and as far away as you can!
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Granger, IADecember 31, 2016
I was a team leader so I heard it from both sides. Barr Nunn could care less about their drivers. Their planners are incompetent to say the least! They would assign loads to drivers and within 5 minutes they would be unassigned, so as a team leader you would send the loads to the drivers and confirm them and turn around and have to tell them they no longer have that load and then 15 minutes later assign it back to them. The drivers would be so confused and very upset! This company treats their drivers like they are beneath them. They will promise you everything until you're hired and then you're dirt to them. I was outraged by the names the operations manager and planners were calling the truck drivers! They treat their drivers like they are sub human! I now see why they can't keep drivers or team leaders there!
Pros
There aren't any
Cons
Everything that comes out of their mouths are lies
Not a good place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  ManNovember 14, 2016
Bad company to work for . I had an incident. Causedo by bad weather. And the officer even said that and no tickets were giving. And theyou terminate me. Bad company. Don't care about drivers
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Old trucks
not a good transportation company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 28, 2015
I moved to this company thinking that I will be making good money because of higher rate of cpm they pay compared to other companies but I was wrong, if you have family and looking for a decent pay check this place will do you no good
Team leaders and dispatchers are quitting this place all my fellow drivers who I met in orientation they quit some after a month others first week.
Something they don't tell you about and it might surprise you the second day of orientation that the company is actually owned by knight transportation
But knight don't interfere with the management and that's true but they are trying there best to save money on every thing to keep knight happy and far from management.
The most important thing to the driver is the milage, if no milage no paycheck that's the main point.
They don't have miles and there work is by season when it's a high season which start from end of October and last until end of January they will fill the websites with bonuses and extra cents per miles which they will deduct it later if you decide to quit befor 90 days from the hiring day, rest of the year you will be spending more time in truck stops than over the road and your weekly milage will be 1600 or may be 1700 miles and from there you can do the math.
It might work for others but am not gonna be over the road for 500$ paycheck a week I rather find a local job sleep in my home every night.
There costumers are nice and most of the loads drop and hook they do swapping as well, they run only the east coast.
Truck maintenance is horrible I give zero and don't dream of
  more... getting paid a penny if you broke down neither for layover, may be they do for others but never happened to me I broke down for 4 days nothing extra entered my pay check.
They have only 540 trucks and you might think you'll be treated good because of that but they will really treat you lower than a driver job posetion.
They have communication problems they might not answer the phones at all when you really need help neither reply you messages on Qualcomm.
One last thing they lost 50% of there annual loads because of FedEx, FedEx stopped using 53ft trailers and they are requiring doubles instead, so they are really suffering now.
Don't get fooled by the adds and bonuses
It doesn't worth it you will waist your time.
Pros
high pay rate
Cons
no milage
simply put, a great place to retire from
driver (Current Employee) –  ohio regionOctober 25, 2015
I have been with Barr Nunn for 4 years now, having been on the road for 12 years and worked for several different companies I can tell you they are by far the best I have seen. my miles are excellent and consistent, my rate of pay is the highest here I have ever had, they almost always get me home every weekend(in 4 years they have missed my weekend hometime twice), the fleet managers are great and easy to work with, the safety department is always helpful and knowledgeable, and the benefits are excellent(especially the 401k that they put money into even if a driver doesn't). this is the kind of company a driver can retire from.
Pros
great pay, hometime, and benefits.
Cons
really can't think of any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barr-Nunn Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Barr-Nunn Transportation Reviews by Location