Barstow Community Hospital Employee Reviews

not everyone pulled their required work load
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CASeptember 4, 2018
if you finished your work you get rewarded by doing someone elses work too. best part of this job was the employee store that let you buy new items and thy take it out your check.
Pros
employee store that you had them take it from your check
Cons
lazy co-workers
A place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAJuly 13, 2018
Friendly staff just not a lot of resources. Very small rural hospital and I suppose they have many issues that rural hospitals. Staff is constantly rotating, management is constantly rotating. Company is not very appreciative of employees in terms of compensaiton and benefits as other organizations which is why most don't stay to long in my opinion.

Anti-Union as well, they have an injunction posted in the cafeteria for not negotiating with the union representative for nurses. I am not sure a unionized workforce would really help this small rural hospital, but it has potential to encourage employee retention. I don't think the hospital cares to much to encourage retention though.
Pros
Nice envirnonment. Clean Hospital. Friendly Staff.
Cons
Staffing issues (shortages), constantly rotating management.
Not Great
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAJune 18, 2018
very hostile environment when I was employed there in the lab. Nursing staff was amazing. Pay was not competitive. Upper management did not have the employees side. The union also did not have the employees side.
Productive workplace
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CANovember 25, 2017
My experience working at barstow hospital was such a challenging. I enjoyed working with others employees from other department. It was a learning experience by knowing what to expect.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great people to work with in all departments
Dir. Biomedical Engineering (Former Employee) –  BCHOctober 8, 2017
There are great people to work with in all departments of the hospital. The area is beautiful surrounding the facility. You can experience the famous Barstow Taco at Dell Taco which is a great taco.
Perductive and a great place to work at.
Registered Vascular Technologist - Lead RVT (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CASeptember 2, 2017
Great people to work with both management and coworkers. Great peripheral vascular lab. Would recommend to anyone looking to begin a new career or advance in their current career in healthcare.
Pros
Good management
Cons
No room for advancement
Productive and fast pace
Certified Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAAugust 29, 2017
Fast pace at times. Coworkers are very supportive and help each other. Doctors are willing to teach a new member of the team. Charge nurse is helpful.
Pros
full work schedule
Cons
some times a lot of call back
Rewarding industry making a difference in a small community
Business Office (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAAugust 9, 2017
Great place to make a difference in people's lives.

The company strives to make it a great place to work, physicians to practice medicine and patients to receive care.
Poor management and patient care history
Director (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAAugust 8, 2017
This is a failed attempt at patient care.You will be disappointed if you join this company.

The management is never focused on patient outcomes. Instead they focus on irrelevant policies and cost containment. Because of the cost containment and low census you will be asked to flex 30% of the time you work there. This makes providing for your family very difficult.
Pros
Cons
Poor history of patient outcomes, excessive flexing
case management functions
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAJune 3, 2017
20+ reviews, ER reviews were added on to the daily utilization
reviews and discharge planning. The Hospital is a 25 bed medical surgical facility, with four ICU beds. The case manager duties also included social services as part of the job function and this was the most challenging part of the position. The environment
included a diversified combination of personnel which made the
position quite enjoyable. The most challenging part of the position
was handling a full case load as well as meeting with families and patients in the emergency room to assess what treatments or placements could be provided. The hospital is located in the high desert and there is a high level of homeless people with severe medical issues and drug dependency. Limited community resources available to provide shelters for the homeless. This position introduced me into emergency case management which was a challenging position but very professional rewarding.
Pros
small hospital
Cons
pleasant environment
easy work
Environmental Service Technician/Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAApril 20, 2017
the people were easy to work with .the training was very helpful .the insurance was great and management was good also .I moved across country that's why I left.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
low pay
Registration
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAApril 6, 2017
Overall BCH is a great place to learn for advancement. As far as making a career at BCH is nearly impossible for non clinical personnel. Great stepping stone.
Pros
Plenty of work to do
Cons
Favortism with management
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CADecember 11, 2016
This hospital opened there doors to me. They allowed me to grow as a surgical tech. Barstow hospital help trained me. They gave me all of the tools for my success. Thank u
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Have to take call
Great coworkers, terrible administration
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAOctober 15, 2016
As a staff nurse I have the pleasure to work with great nurses, aides, doctors, respiratory therapists, phlebotomists, and radiology technicians. We are like family. The administration is the problem. A lot of pressure to admit several patients quickly to clear the ED puts a lot of strain on other departments. The interim CNO is unprofessional and does not have her nurses backs. There is little to no growth/ advancement available for the nursing staff. Medical surgical management does not have the proper training to lead nurses with structure an organization. It is often chaotic and the patient assignments are often unfair. As a result, patient care sufferes and nurse morale is low. Also, the resources at BCH are severely limited. Patients spend weekends in the hospital when ready for discharge just for an MRI.
Pros
The best coworkers
Cons
The administration is unprofessional
n/a
Auxiliary Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAMay 16, 2016
I volunteered at Barstow Community Hospital in the gift shop. My co-workers were wonderful people. I learned a lot about people and life.
Fast pace ED registering patients
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAMay 16, 2016
Working in ED gives me the opportunity to serve the community of Barstow Ca. With each patient that comes to the ED we are deciated to give the highest quality care in a prompt manner. I am proud to serve in this position as a registrar being the front line person I set the tone for what the patient will think of the hospital. By providing friendly and prompt service.
Pros
Reduce meals
Staffing Corrdinator/Bed Control (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAOctober 20, 2015
I really enjoyed working here and was the first stepping stone of my career path. The knowledge and experience I gained from here I will utilize through out my career
Overall substainable.
E.V.S. Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAOctober 18, 2015
* A typical day at work: Was always very busy do to shift.
*What I learnered: Was that every individual whom walked through those doors had their own story to tell; many patients just merely wanted was a friendly face to talk to.
*Management: That is one topic I choose to not answer due to confidential information.
*My co-workers: They were characters of their own but loved and adored every one of them; some times we might have an disagreement managed to work out with out dragging our superviser in the mist of it.
*The hardest part of job was what I seen. If asked I will explain.
*The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients they brought a smile to my face.
Pros
Pros: Holiday and sick leave.
Cons
Decent amount of red tape and ploitics.
working with people
phlebotomist/lab technician (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAAugust 21, 2015
working with a number of pt in all departments in the hospitail. drawing blood, processing it. working with lab equipment loading a runnibg test. handling work load in out patient and in patient setting.
Pros
excallant atmosphere
Cons
no set schedule
Good Work Environment
Lead II Registrar Emergency Admitting (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAMarch 12, 2015
Very busy emergency room each day bought new challenges all employees were easy to work with. Nice working environment had no problems at this facility.
Pros
Very Busy
Cons
Uniforms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barstow Community Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about