Barton Associates Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very communicative company
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 23, 2018
I worked for Barton and Associates as a prn/locums employee. they were very communicative when they had available positions which I was qualified for, and always worked to find positions which fit my needs.
Competive Job with great potential
Group Manager (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 21, 2018
I've been working at Barton for over a year.

It's a job where you need to be "hungry" and competitive. It's fast paced. It is a job though where you get out what you put in. You have the chance to be as profitable as you want to be and can make well into 6 figure salaries. The work environment is young and a lot of fun. They have meetings every morning which will only help make you better. They want to see you succeed in every facet of the job. If you aren't afraid of the phone and want to make a lot of money than this is the job for you. You just need to Trust the Process & you will gain good life, money and work experience here. Not just a stepping stone job, more of a career.
Pros
Potential earnings, management, meetings
Cons
7am start time
Scary - run!
Associate (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHMay 18, 2018
I've never been in such a cut throat - rude environment in my entire life. Seriously, skip this one! I had a bad feeling at the interview, but the money was hard to pass up. They belittle, and humiliate you to try and "drive" your performance.
Hard Work Pays Off!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAMay 17, 2018
I look forward to coming to work every day. I like the people I work with and can't imagine a better team to be a part of. It's a fast paced environment with a lot of competitive people.
Pros
Control your own destiny
Great place for competitive, career-driven people!
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHMay 15, 2018
I've been with Barton for several years now. The beginning is tough, finding your pace and your groove. You have to be persistent and determined. If you have that going for you and a strong work ethic you can make some serious money and grow quickly here!!
Pros
Compensation & incentives
Cons
High expectations/standard
Typical Day
Account Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAMay 7, 2018
Okay job for someone who just graduated. A typical day at work begins with an hour meeting to go over production. Then you are on the phone for 8 hours.
Nurse practitioner
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 27, 2018
As a Locums nurse practitioner that has worked for over a dozen different agencies, Barton Associates is indeed the worse one. Management is poor so there is always an issue with housing, credentialing, and pay. It is such a large company that they take a large portion of your hourly pay for themselves. You can make way more money working at other agencies. Stay away!
Pros
Lots of job options
Cons
Poor quality and poor pay
Official response from Barton Associates
May 17, 2018

Thank you for providing feedback. You mentioned issues with housing, credentialing and pay. We work hard to control what we can control when it comes to housing and credentialing. We are one of a few locum tenens companies that has a team dedicated to travel in addition to our credentialing and licensing teams. In many cases, we are at the mercy of the facility's housing restrictions and credentialing. If you have specific examples of issues caused by Barton, please contact me to share. As an Independent Contractor, one has the ability to set their own rate and take or decline whichever positions they choose. We pride ourselves on having a high volume of qualified opportunities to present. Our model of establishing relationships and gaining an understanding a provider's ideal positions, wants and needs typically helps us find great opportunities. I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out.

Regards,

Alex Ashcraft
Manager of Human Resources

Great office life - hard job to do
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 23, 2018
I loved my time at Barton Associates because of the people in the office. People are friendly and the teams are great. However, the job itself is not easy. You are expected to make 100 plus cold calls a day in the beginning, calling into hospitals and treating it like a scavenger hunt. Most hospitals hate locum tenens and you'll likely be run off the phone by an annoyed nurse or doctor. Barton Associates does their best to prepare you and does warn you of the truths that come with being an account manager. They are up front and reasonable with you as well. They understand bad days and they always push you to have good days. I think Barton Associates is a great place to work and I would have stayed there longer if I didn't receive a random offer else where.
Pros
Great office, fun people, benefits, and ability to always do better
Cons
Hard to cold call for 10 hours a day, long hours, routine, same thing day in and day out
Staffing Specialist Summary
Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 18, 2018
Typical day of work.

-Utilized a daily plan to call potential health care providers. Our daily plan was done on paper. This process could be more efficient if they allowed it to be done on OneNote, however the company is too cheap to afford Microsoft Office programs and management lacks the technical experience for such basic task.

-Cold call potential health care providers on your database. Follow up with your healthcare providers that can be hired for long term jobs and can stay at multiple locations overnight. Cold call health care providers in the main database which hold people with lowest value.

-End of day, go over training. Training is done by a different manager every day. If you ever heard the saying too many cooks spoil the broth, these people in the coast pretty much ignore that so there are constant miscommunication on the correct way of following processes.

In terms of training they did provide some value on recruiting techniques, however role plays are poorly done when people don't take it seriously and throw curve balls at you.

Work Culture is an under 35 group. Managers are all Caucasian and they seem to be rushing to hire someone of ethnicity in management to improve their diversity. All of the managers are from the east coast, they all have a fast paced sales approach when it comes to management which doesn't come off well. Turn over is extremely high. In a period of 3 months 30 out of the original 44 employees has been terminated or left the company for one reason or another. Currently there are more people that are planning to escape the
  more... Las Vegas office.

The main turn offs for this position is Management. They may not realize it, but they use fear as a motivation tool. For example: either your metrics and numbers are at risk or your direct manager will explain how much worse his manager is and that we're lucky not to deal with her or anyone above her.

Other turn offs. Too many inefficient processes which management themselves fail to follow each and every single one, constant miscommunication especially when your manager is quick to make assumption without analyzing the situation, lack of job security, metrics (it's a blanket metric. Corporate is either lazy or they overlooked the fact that every health care speciality is different and therefore metrics should be different for each one. There are major factors that affect your metrics such as the number of jobs in each state, the number of available healthcare providers in a specific specialty, the number of health care providers that can travel to specific locations, etc...) You are limited to recruiting a database with low value healthcare providers. The length of time it takes for your direct manager to remove your low value health care providers in your own database. Documenting everything but your direct manager may make assumptions based on the first 3 sentences and does not read the rest. 9 hour shifts. Working with lead recruiters that may make their own or their friends health care providers a priority over yours in consideration for a job.

The only reason the company is successful in my opinion is due to the extremely high markup they charge their clients, the low pay out to recruiters and account managers, outbound recruiters ability to fill jobs, and the account managers ability to open relations with new clients.
Pros
nice office
Cons
Work balance, job security, lack of efficiency with processes, no free coffee, metrics, pay, and management style.
Great, until you realize how much money they are taking from you
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 30, 2018
Barton Associates is a locum tenems operation that employs individuals for various medical jobs on usually a temporary basis. The job I had involved visiting geriatric patients in their home completing 'at home' assessments for a health insurance company. I was paid by contract and thus had no benefits or taxes taken from my income -I was paid per patient seen and for gas (as I was driving from home to home).

It was a fine job, until I realized how much more the insurance would have paid me per visit, and how much Barton Associates was taking for themselves. I also began to realize how much I would have to be paying in taxes, and it no longer became worth it for me to continue working here. I sought employment elsewhere.
Official response from Barton Associates
May 17, 2018

Thank you for providing feedback. Barton Associates builds relationships with and assigns Independent Contracts on locum tenens assignments with hospitals, clinics and healthcare companies throughout the US and beyond. The providers set their rates and pick and choose which positions they want to be submitted and assigned to. Although we do not provide general benefits to the contractors we work with - which is standard for our industry - we cover all assigned providers with A rated malpractice insurance so they are insured on our assignments. I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out.

Regards,

Alex Ashcraft
Manager, Human Resources

I would not recommend working here
Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 20, 2018
If you are thinking on working at Barton: Not Recommended
After working there, I was happy to leave Barton

It feels like I wasted 3 months of work experience at Barton; and here's why

The Training: Needs Work
The Company: Deceitful
Management: Shady

(Typical Day)
Morning meeting/ training consist of the same weak training points that you've heard over and over by each management member

The company deceive medical providers into signing up for a cold call service. Therefore; you'll spend your ten hour day calling highly annoyed medical providers that want nothing to do with Barton Associates!

Now there's obviously some medical providers that take the bait and that's where your thieving management member come in...!

(Reason for Statement)
I watched management hire new recruiters to sort out all the useful providers; then over a sort period of time... they'll fire the new recruit and steal the medical providers for themselves.

Barton's management members are shady, and they can't teach you anything useful.

Therefore; working at Barton is highly: Not Recommended!
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
The Culture, The Management
It's a scam. Avoid at all cost Rebels!
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 19, 2018
If you're looking to work for a company that cold calls potential clients that hate your guts to solicit them for job openings then this job is for you. The majority of the clitents you reach out to are owned already by other account managers. New hires fight for crumbs. This is a pyramid scheme where the account managers that got in within the first 5 years are doing amazing and the ones that followed are all making very little due to the ownership guidelines for hospitals.

Prepare yourself for office politics and 80% turnover. Don't trust anyone with the clients you are working on including your managers. Managers here typically work the Account Develop Managers for leads and then fire them once they've funneled their superiors enough information on potential clients/clients for their superiors to use for themselves. If you're fired all of your business clients go directly to your superior or get split up within the team. It's in your managers best interest to push you hard and fire you once you farm enough intel for them to use for the next few months when the next crop of new hires comes in to start the process over again.

The offices are really nice and the pay is around 35k+Comm. The sales cycle is extremely long. Very few employees make a commission before the 6 month mark. Per month after taxes with benefits you're looking at about $1000 every two weeks in pay. This company is built to be a pyramid scheme for the sales managers. They sell you on the fact that if you place two providers you'll reach 500k in gross sales within the year, get promoted, and get raises.
  more... The reality is that the majority of what I saw while I worked there was watching employees drop like flies. Out of 40 new hires I was left with a class of 10 within 3 months.

I'm a woman and found this place very hostile, my manager yelled at me frequently even though I did well on their performance metrics. I quit and found something much better within two weeks. If you're a college graduate and don't want to have to explain to a hiring manager why you were with them for such a short period before moving onto another company avoid this company at all costs. I'm a Rebel and I do not recommend this workplace to other Rebels. We are meant for bigger and better!
Pros
You get to say you sell doctors to hospitals, the medical benefits are good for the short time you're there.
Cons
This is a pyramid scheme. Awful pay.
An average work experience, but wouldn't reccommend
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTMarch 10, 2018
It is a cold calling job where you call and annoy people all day long. 10 hours of being unproductive and wanting to leave. They do not provide you with the resources needed to properly do the job (i.e. linkedin recruiter, access to phone numbers, etc).
Pros
the employees are awesome and fun to be around
Cons
very few people are successful here
Sales
Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 7, 2018
This is a sales position, so if you are not cut out for competition and sales, you will not make it in this job. Otherwise, you'll love it and make a lot of money doing it.
Great place
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 28, 2018
Barton promises a lot - advancement from within, promising pay, development and training. They do provide all of that. There’s just no work life balance. So be prepared to sacrifice for reward. But they reward those that work hard extremely well.
Stay Away
GROUP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAFebruary 26, 2018
It was great for about three months, but the market is so saturated that you won't make money. Repulsive management constantly planning on replacing you. Horrible with retention, I've seen employees that had been apart of the company for 5+ years get to the point where they had enough and quit at lunch. No need to give a two works. Solely cold calling, managers and supervisors will literally badger you to call a prospective doctor or client. They claim they have the best rates for both doctors and clients but they pay least and charge the most compared to their competitors. Everything that was wrong about The Boiler Room, Wolf of Wall Street, and Glengary Glenross is Barton. No humanity there, you aren't an employee; you are a means to growing a database for senior members and nothing more. If you are personally liked or become a favorite you will do just fine. Toxic environment, some of the managers are outright sleazy and oogle the women in the office and will speak about how hot or not, or what they are wearing, with not only other managers but their subordinates as well. This place was so vastly unprofessional.

TL:DR

This place is horrible, you wont make enough money, all the jobs are already filled, can't trust management.
Pros
Not in office on the weekends, could still be called tho so none
Cons
You have to pay for coffee, expected to work extra hours, managers don't trust employees, micromanagement, cheap company, cut corners, unprofessional toxic culture
Stressful and Difficult
Assistant Account Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 21, 2018
The management was great and everyone at the company was very friendly and heplful. However, this job is an outbound, cold-call, call center sales job. Performance is highly monitored and management can become very hostile if you are not good at cold calling and these types of sales. People you would have to call would often be very hostile and insult you, this can be very unmotivating and difficult to handle.
Pros
beautiful Office, friendly co-workers
Cons
stressful, depressing work
High energy, cut throat
Fulfilment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHFebruary 15, 2018
It was young energetic work environment. It is sales so very competitive, face paced and cut throat. Depending on which manager you can get can depict your overall experience. If you do not like the job do not bother giving a notice because they will fire you on the spot. And if you are producing enough sales they will fire you whenever the please without warning.
okay
Physician Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAFebruary 13, 2018
My time there was difficult, as I struggled with ton of Health Issues, as they were very accommodating with my needs i felt like towards then end it was very bad.
Pros
treatment
Cons
management, very frat like enviroment
great place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARFebruary 8, 2018
great place to work great hours good working material good
place to work if you need off for emergency to place towork
for good benefits and retirement and life insurance
Pros
all good