Barton Associates Employee Reviews

Great for locums contract work
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 8, 2019
Barton associates gave me the opportunity to travel, and was paid for it. The salaries were low, compared to other jobs. I did not mind because they paid for housing and travel.
Not a good place to start your career
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 6, 2019
this is not a good place to begin your career. there is a reason that the turnover rate is so high. If you are just graduating college and think that this is a good opportunity. its not.
Great Place to Work
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAMarch 4, 2019
Barton is locum tenens and provides jobs all over the country. It is a nice change to go to several different places a year to work. Barton's representatives are friendly, professional and relentless in their pursuit for work for you. Since this is a temporary agency located in Peabody, MA, I cannot talk about the culture. A typical day is seeing patients in different areas of medicine.
Pros
Can take business deductions
Cons
Some of the jobs are across country.
Do not work here.
Account Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHFebruary 28, 2019
I worked at this company for 9 miserable, miserable months. I felt like I was walking on eggshells whenever I walked in here. The management is awful. Positive reinforcement doesn't happen here. If you are not producing, you are replaceable. Even if you do well, you're still replaceable. They hire like crazy to make up for the crazy turnover. I've seen 10 people in just my role alone leave in the past 9 months, and keep in mind, there's only about 15 account development managers.

You are micromanaged, and are expected to hammer the phones, cold calling for 9 hours a day. They have big signs that say WORK HARDER all over the office, because employee satisfaction doesn't exist here.

I had a terrible experience with being the brunt of a few co-workers racist jokes, and management did nothing about it. That was the last straw. Most people who work here are in their 20s. Very immature office environment.

My mental health was seriously suffering here. I've never been so happy to leave.
Pros
Cons
Everything. management, hours, pay, co-workers
they are amazing
arnp (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2019
Very supportive, very protective of their practitioners, very good communication. They care about their staff, and they ensure we are all happy all of the time.
Pros
they care
Cons
Good company to work for.
Physician Assistant-Certified (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mt., NC.February 9, 2019
I'm a Physician Assistant with many years experience. I was contacted by Barton regarding a Family Practice about an hour's drive from my home.
We negotiated the pay, it was $5.00/hr less than my most recent job, but still a decent salary.
The practice I worked with was good, well organized, friendly , the support staff was good with one exception. The EMR was not well taught. I got a 15 minute review and no further support from the EMR person, but my CMA helped me negotiate the confusion. I would say that the poor training in their EMR was the biggest problem with the practice I was with.
It was a busy practice and I was slower than usual dealing with the EMR. I was always the last Provider to leave, because I finished all my charts every day before I left. I had no trouble getting my checks because I followed the protocol.
It was a short term job and I was thankful for the chance to be back in Family Medicine regaining my skills. I had done over 3 years in Psychiatry before this job and left to return to return to a physical medicine practice.
Pros
Good job in Family Medicine. Salary was good. Good support from Barton.
Cons
Practice had poor EMR training. Two hour commute daily.
Fun coworkers. Not the right job.
Associate Physician Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAFebruary 1, 2019
Each morning started at 7am with an hour long meeting for training purposes and continued with cold calling through out the rest of the day. My manager was fantastic and the people I worked with were wonderful but it was not the right job for me. I did not feel like I was making a difference and the compensation was extremely low for the amount of hours/extra work outside of the office that we were required to do.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Long hours, low compensation, no work/life balance
Highly competitive position with long hours and no instant gratification. Limited training after initial on boarding.
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2019
A day at work at Barton requires constant follow up with internal employees in order to get any tasks completed. Recruiting strictly with cold calling and current database of medical professionals, and dealing with assignment management situations that require a lot of tedious conversations, explaining the same issues to multiple people to get anything fixed. Typically have one meeting per day for the usual morning meetings that rehearse basic recruiting skills, from managers, of any tenure ranging from 6 months to 1.5 years. The office turnover is so apparent that it brings down office moral. There is no upper management communication with employees, and the culture perceives that kind of communication strictly for some team managers and the office manager needing help with big issues/problems with clients.
Pros
Ability to make high incentives within your first year, and teaches you the bare bones of recruiting and staffing.
Cons
Long hours, office favoritism and politics, high turnover
Good Sales Job
Lead Generating Intern (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAJanuary 15, 2019
the job was recruitment of doctors for temporary role it was competitive but the management was helpful and motivating but sales and recruitment wasn't my thing
Young work environment
ASSOCIATE RECTUITER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 22, 2018
You are in control of your own success. After 2 days of training you are on your own and are required to make 80-100 cold calls a day. You get a percentage of the hours that your doctor works for you.
Not enough locum assignments to remain active.
National Diagnostics Service - Contract FNP (Former Employee) –  Springfield, TNDecember 19, 2018
Not enough locum assignments to remain active. There was more discussion of jobs than assignments. There was also more questions of personal nature than professional nature.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Not enough locum assignments to remain active.
Locum positions and satisfaction
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  MarylandDecember 12, 2018
Barton is an interesting company.
Has a Locum you should never expect anything.
Make sure that you have everything in writing.
Never expect for the management to support you.
Remember that a Locum company is just there to get you a job.
After they get the job, you are on your own.
Make sure that you know the Labor Laws of the state you are working in and be prepared to fight for them.
Locum work is basically being a "hired" slave for any company.
The most enjoyable part of being a Locum is getting to know different people from different parts of the country/world.
The hardest part of the job is defending work as a Locum.
Locum employment can be a choice, this needs not to be defended.
Pros
At least you have a job.
Cons
Having to defend the choice or need to work as a Locum.
Sales Representative Learning Experience
Physician Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 7, 2018
I have learned so much on how to properly speak to clientele over the phone and how to pitch new things to people. Typical day at Barton Associates start off with morning conferences and daily plans. Everyone has their own goals to achieve everyday. If no other demo conferences or meetings are scheduled for that day, then it's calling into Human Resources at hospitals. You balance between collecting data from hospitals to recruiting physicians for Locum Tenen positions across the country. Building your database with portfolios of various doctors, you hunt down and tailor jobs that fit their specialties. You maintain a constant business relationship with these people because you work together. If you love a good challenge, this a great recruiting position. Management is with you every step of the way to help advise what you should approach and what you shouldn't. The culture in the office is very easy going, everyone is there to help each other. Hardest thing I have learned being employed here is, if it were easy, everyone would do it. Most enjoyable part is the endless amount of coffee throughout the day.
Pros
Great benefits and Management
Cons
Training is way to fast, could use a better system.
This place is the worse place I have ever worked
NP (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 7, 2018
I'm a new NP. The recruiters they try and sell you a nice picture of the job seeing home clients for insurance company, if you are a new NP do not sign up for Barton you will regret it. They'll have you driving in dangerous weather to see insurance members that don't even want to be seen, because they already go to their primary doctor. DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE AND CAREER FOR THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Cons
everything
Cut throat business
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 2, 2018
They represent the client, plain and simple. You, the provider, is replaceable. If they realize that you are on to their games, they will stop responding to your enquiries.
Pros
They have bizillion of contracts
Cons
They are not your friend
Great management, support, compensation, but their moral compass can be a little off.
RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2018
The management was amazing and the office manager was the best manager I have ever had. I didn't like how they encourage some shady practices however meaning - acting like a patient, but not saying you're a patient in order to attain providers from facilities that use locum tenens often; it didn't sit well with me.
Pros
Management, 5 day work week, compensation
Cons
Morals
Young work environment but limited job security
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 25, 2018
Barton is very much a young environment and management is pretty relaxed until they aren’t. Production plans can get sprung on you pretty quick with very minimal time to reach them resulting in getting fired or being strongly encouraged to quit. The turn over rate is rough and makes the day to day grind hard to stay motivated when you’re worried you might be next to be fired. And the hours are ridiculously long, 50 hours a week are spent in that office.
Lies, lies and more lies!!!
NP (Former Employee) –  New York StateOctober 25, 2018
This organization behaves more like an organized crime ring than an agency. LIES to employers, LIES to clinicians, LIES to its own recruiting staff! NO..JUST SAY NO! Not, "No thanks, not interested"...just..."NO!".
Pros
Cons
Ex Cons, or certainly soon to be, given recruiters and other staff behavior.
Run as fast as you can
Provider (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 21, 2018
This is the most hostile work environment.

This organization only cares about one thing and that is money.

Money is the root of all evil.

Barton Associates is evil.

Furthermore, they didn't pay me for overtime worked. I was consistently underpaid by a few hours here and there and it adds up, believe me.
Pros
Cons
screwed me on my paycheck too many times
Official response from Barton Associates
October 23, 2018

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We don't typically have issues with our providers being paid so I'd like to investigate this We have a standard process for time card approvals and payment processing. If someone is not paid the proper amount or on time, it is typically because a time sheet was not signed or charts were not completed by the provider. If you reach out to me directly and share your information I'll investigate the issue and make sure all appropriate managers are aware.

Alexander Ashcraft
Manager, Human Resources
aashcraft@bartonassociates.com

friendly and professional workplace
Associate Sales Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTSeptember 29, 2018
Barton associates is a professional environment with friendly people willing to help the team succeed. you attend morning meetings every day to go over the overall outlook for the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barton Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9