BASF Employee Reviews

Found 989 reviews matching the search See all 2,151 reviews
suck
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 16, 2019
BASF is a company that is not about their employees. They hired people in as temporaries keep them for a year with not intent of hiring them and then let them go.
Pros
a job
Cons
not commitment
Business Development
Western Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 11, 2019
BASF manufactured and supplied chemical coatings to can manufacturers, nation wide to package food, beer and beverages. It was a leading supplier of these coatings to companies such as; Dole, DelMonte, Star Kist, Bumble Bee, Budweiser, Coca Cola, etc. I had been in business for decades when I joined them in 1970 just out of college.

From Research and Development to Business Development, my career with BASF required me to move from New Jersey, to Ohio, to Illinois, to Texas and eventually to California. In so doing, I progressed from sales man, to account manager, to national account manager to Western Regional Manager.

It was a great place to work, primarily because of the people and office environment. We were regarded as leaders in chemical coatings for food packaging and our clients looked for our participation in their businesses.

The jobs within BASF were poorly paid and demanding in travel, resulting in poor work/life benefit. This includes retirement benefits.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Poor salary and work/life conditions
Great place to work.
Customer Focused Operational Excellence (Current Employee) –  Florham Park, NJJanuary 11, 2019
Great place to work. Nice to be part of a global organization and to work with other cultures. Opportunities to expand skills through working with diverse business units and functions.
Overall great company
Customer Care Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 8, 2019
BASF is one of the greatest companies i've ever worked for. They really care about their employees by having great benefits and by offering a work and life balance by having the flexibility to work from home.
professional and collabrative work enviroment
ASSISTANT COATINGS PROCESS LEADER (Current Employee) –  lansing miJanuary 8, 2019
Daily routine, I would walk the shop floor. collect inventory and look over certain gauges and pumps. attend meetings regarding our product, work with the customer to fulfill their needs. update spreadsheets and forecast. perform data analysis on color, film build and appearance. work on in plant projects.
Great place to work.
Warehouse Associate II (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAJanuary 7, 2019
Start by checking the order basket. I gave a short daily safety meeting and we start pulling paint orders and prepare them on pallets for shipping. I was responsible for all safety ie.signage, tags, first aid kits etc.
na
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 6, 2019
Extremely poor and unfair supervisor. Too much favoritism and borderline discrimination. Ignorance of each job position. Terrible soft skills. Never available.
BASF is a very good place to work.
TOLL MANUFACTURING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHJanuary 4, 2019
BASF is good company to work for and offers a lot of opportunities for growth. The people are friendly, and the atmosphere is safe and diversified. My daily duties are listed below:

Process third-party drop shipment, subcontracting and inventory purchase orders in SAP. Arrange logistics and distribution of both packaged and bulk tolled products to meet the requirements of Admixtures, Construction Systems, and Wall systems businesses. Create and transmit documents required for shipments, returns, purchase orders, bills of lading, and customer documents. Process invoice discrepancies through Work Cycle process by due dates
• Worked with customs brokers to ensure proper documents in place for all import/export orders (Livingston, BDP) and transportation requirements met
• Reviewed monthly goods receipt-no invoice receipt report ensuring vendors are getting paid on time and no delivery disruptions occur
• Initiated Vendor Non-Conformances; verified root cause and corrective actions submitted by due dates
• Maintained TMS protect from freeze requirements for cold-weather transportation
Pros
Nice people to work with at BASF
Cons
Long drive from where I live
Short Review of BASF
Principal Scientist (Former Employee) –  Wyandotte, MIJanuary 3, 2019
BASF, located in Ludwigshaven Germany, is a great chemical company. As their top scientist in the US I worked with scientists from all over the world and was encouraged to coach or mentor young chemists and engineers from a variety of countries. Their research facility in Germany has 35,000 chemists, engineers, and support personnel. BASF is one of the few chemical companies that does basic research in chemistry and engineering. My primary focus at BASF was developing polymer chemistry for a variety of markets.. In particular, my expertise is emulsion polymerization. The job included polymer development, engineering, and scaling-up processes. The development of products required the use of designed experiments, and use of a variety of analytical equipment, meeting time lines, goals, and attending numerous meetings..
Pros
Free Lunches, Freedom to collaborate with universities, travel
Productive and welcoming enviroment
Finance & Accounting Intern (Current Employee) –  Florham Park, NJJanuary 2, 2019
I have been Interning with the company for 6 months. It is a great place to begin your career. The culture is very caring and relaxed. Management is always willing to help.
Loved working there
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHDecember 30, 2018
I'd work for BASF the rest of my life if I could physically do so. I left only for health reasons. The company is very employee friendly and will work with employees on furthering their career if the employee shows initiative.
Company has changed
Senior Ag Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  RTP, NCDecember 28, 2018
At first I enjoyed working here, but after many years I realized things had changed in terms of opportunity for advancement. Management tends to lock people into their current role and doesn't account for personal and professional growth. A good example is I once interviewed for a different position, and the hiring manager's manager told me, I should stay where I am during the interview. It's so obvious I wanted a different role, why not spend some time developing me if I'm not qualified? After that I realized that even though jobs are posted internally, if management doesn't come to you and say, "You should apply for this", then there is no need for you to put your name in the hat. This is very disappointing from what is supposed to be an agile company. Development is non-existent. Management will tell you that you are responsible for your own development, but will never give you opportunity to do so.
Pros
Good health insurance and retirement benefits
Good benefits
Operations Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Attapulgus, GADecember 26, 2018
The company offers good benefits and job security if the employee follow instructions and perform their job tasks. The company cares about their employees in natural disasters and crisises.
Great for gaining work experience but does not promise a stable career path
Agricultural Technician (Current Employee) –  White Heath, ILDecember 21, 2018
This is a great place with great people. However, the company refuses to create new jobs which severely cripples the productivity of its research and development sites. It tries to fill the empty spots with contract workers who will not stay because the company offers no career advancement. This further hinders the business because it forces researchers to also manage contractors which creates friction between full time researchers and contractors. The company would rather attempt to fill holes with temporary employees than invest in new positions which is lose lose for everyone except the temp services which change yearly. This company really should listen to the needs of its research and development sites and create new jobs. Instead, they train them and they go and get jobs at BASF's competitors which seems completely counter productive to me. BASF really should invest more into its full time temps who receive zero benefits including no holiday pay during Christmas.
Pros
Work experience, great people, relaxed environment
Cons
No benefits, no career advancement, subpart management
Fast Pace rigorous job.
Finisher / Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 20, 2018
BASF was a competitive fast-paced rigorous job. BASF was in transition from engelhard corporation. The employees for engelhart are still in transition to the new BASF way. Gelling with existing englehart employees was difficult it times. All-in-all BASF is a wonderful job.
Pros
The culture at BASF is excellent
Cons
The old employees from engelhard made the job difficult at times.
Life With a Contract
Applications Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Wyandotte, MIDecember 19, 2018
I worked at BASF as a contract worker. My daily tasks would be testing materials, maintaining quality in the production areas, and participating in safety teams to promote safe cultures on the job.

Management was caring from my experience and will work with you to ensure the ability to work. Though, once restrictions on contract employees became apparent, trainings and other similar activities was halted.

The hardest part of the job in my opinion was to stay busy, my manager would be away from office working and it would increase my down time during the week. I would have less projects to work on which would increase the lulls in the project timelines.

The job was very fulfilling to me. A wide variety of tasks are available to be assigned. I learned much from my time with the company, and was able to meet a lot of great people
Pros
Education, safe working conditions, culture
Cons
Red tape, slow pace
Contractor in Customer Care
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 18, 2018
It was a good temporary job I worked through an agency, I enjoyed the people that worked there full time, however I was only there as a temporary worker until the full time people came off of medical leave
Typical day at BASF as a millwright
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Geismar, LADecember 16, 2018
The beginning of each day we would talk about safety topics and we would end the session with stretching. Following the safety meeting we would receive a job packet with a work order in which we would go to an assigned unit to receive a permit to begin working for the day. Typically we would pull said piece of equipment and bring it to the shop to tear down and rebuild and fill out the mechanical worksheet on the equipment. We would make necessary repairs while rebuilding and make sure that everything is up to manufacture specification. Once equipment is repaired, we would transport equipment back into the unit and make proper instillation and check alignment if necessary and turn in the permit for the day.
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare
Roating shifts
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, OHDecember 13, 2018
One of my man complaints at BASF is the roating shifts we are required to rotate between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd every 4 weeks, which is very hard on your body and not ideal for family life. Also my place has a culture of ME and not WE as a team. People at this site are very negative and are always complaining of leaving or talking about others, which I dislike. Training progam has improved but is still very lacking. Pay and benefits are excellant . Some overtime offered but not forced.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
Negative work enviroment..
See Resume
Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Shakopee, MNDecember 2, 2018
I have enjoyed working at BASF. My Time there has been productive and rewarding. My colleagues and management have treated me with respect. They were supportive in helping me obtain my goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BASF. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight