Bashas' Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good place to work.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Catalina, AZJuly 19, 2018
A work day at Bashas was very busy and you need to have good customer service skills. The management team was still in training while working at the the Deli. The Director of the store was fair and understood me very well.
Fast-paced and interpersonal customer service job
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 16, 2018
Good customer service makes a difference at Bashas'. If you serve your customers with respect and gratitude, this attitude will be reflected. This company is family-oriented and will work around your education or family issues if needed. They value education and personal life.
Pros
Member discount, teamwork, holiday meals in break room
Cons
short breaks, work holidays & weekends
Extremely long hours and daily work
Lead Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carefree, AZJuly 9, 2018
I performed both as the day time culinary cook and as the lead assistant manager. It was stressful. I was hired because the Deli was failing Health and Safety and it was my main objective to completely correct this.I left after a year of in control Health and Safety assessments and recruitment to Sprouts .
Pros
I learned culinary skills beyond my previous skills.
Cons
long hours and continued employee turn over
Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2018
Bashas taught me everything ok know about great customer service!
I started in the bakery making 6.56hr. Within 2 years I worked all over the store making 13.56he! Loved it!
typical bakery closer day
Bakery Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Payson, AZJune 28, 2018
my typical day as a closer to help customers and do lots of clean and package bread and cookies. do dishes, sweep and close the bakery. the bakery management doesn't know how to run the bakery the right way. so if you want to be yelled at everytime you work then this place is for you.
Pros
you can get a little bonus every 300 hr or so
Cons
bad manager and not well run bakery
Would not recommend it
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 13, 2018
Was a great company to work for in the beginning. But it seemed to have gotten worse over the years. It was a family oriented place to begin with, but, that eventually went away.
Company falling into bankruptcy changed everything
Dry Warehouse Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 2, 2018
The culture of the company changed dramatically when the company had to go through bankruptcy. For the most part many of its best management was asked to leave or could no longer afford to remain.
Pros
Small consistent pace
Cons
Change in management
Good hours
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 24, 2018
Company had good hours, friendly people and some management was great. You could end up working at some of there other stores as I did. Some of the people who have worked there have been there along time, so its a good place to work.
Fast paced environment
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 21, 2018
If you work here as an order selector expect to work anywhere from 40 to 50 hours a week, overtime is in abundance during the holiday season. There's really no advancement but the pay is good.
Tough place to work
Deli Chef (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 18, 2018
Very demanding workplace. Often short staffed. Poor refrigeration and freezer space for deli. Many long time employees that do not pull their weight.
Pros
Seeing regular customers
Cons
Piped in music
Good entry level job/career
Lead Barista (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZ , Scottsdale, AZ, Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2018
Bashas’ is a decent Arizona based grocery store that likes to focus on customer satisfaction and rewards their employees for WOW performance which is their acronym for above and beyond job performance. They appreciate employees who go out of their way to make it right with the customer as well as do what they need to in order to get the job done efficiently.
Pros
Breaks, employee discount, benefits, family environment
Good Temp. Job
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 23, 2018
If your a teen looking for a part- time job, becoming a Courtesy Clerk at Bashas is a good start. They offer shifts that start at 4 PM and end around 8-9 PM. The night shift is usually fast paced, and you will be on your feet a lot. The other employees and the managers are for the most part friendly, as long as you are not messing around or goofing off.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Friendly Work place
Cons
Short Breaks, Usually won't get off of work at scheduled time
Fast paced workplace
Assistant Store Director (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZApril 22, 2018
My typical day starts with checking emails, sales and labor. I then go around the store, say good morning to members and plan my day as what i observe.

I have learned there are different personalities of customers and members and one must listen to solve problems.

The hardest part of my job is when people call in and no one is available to cover. This puts a strain on customer service.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to appreciate the customers and members.
Pros
Full-time and insurance
Cons
Difficult to advance, not a lot of movement in upper management
n/a
Assistant customer service manager (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZApril 11, 2018
good place to work however the pay rate has not increased accordingly with the minimum wage increase. Management is very knowledgeable about the industry
People were nice, company sucked
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZApril 5, 2018
The management at this deli sucked, but the customers were alwyas so kind, and easy going. the other workers were kind and easy going as well, it was the management that was the issue.
Fun at times
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 3, 2018
Was a great to work in the beginning there was a real family feel like they cared about their employees. There were holiday bonuses. But after the bankruptcy the family feel wasn't there anymore they for got about their employees. It felt like they didn't care about us anymore when you have an employee that has worked for you for 12 years plus and they haven't been given a raise it is very discouraging it makes them want to look for another job.
Pros
nothing
Cons
healthcare is not good
Lots of work daily.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 20, 2018
Working here was very tiring especially in the summer clearing the lot of shopping carts is no joke. It was the only downside of the job everything inside was pretty simple but still become tiring after being on your feet for so long.
Fun and laid back environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 1, 2018
All the people at my store were very friendly and helped me learn the job very quick. I couldn't praise the management enough, they were very helpful and forgiving of mistakes. The customers that frequented the store were also nice.
Job, not a career
2nd Assistant Director, Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 26, 2018
Started here when i was 17, busted tail to get to a third at store level, 3 months to becomming a 2nd when i decided to step away. I had and still have nothing but love and admiration for my in store management, those above and below myself, all hard working towards a common goal, make the chain money.

Personally, I began to take issue woth company culture and upper management soon after the bankruptcy. I empathized with the company until we emerged from chapter 11 and seen changes in the wrong direction. Positions that were seen as moot before were recreated, and rehired the same people in them.pay that was supposed to be restored dragged, especially at store level.

Corparate level management style is based off of empty threats, by people who were advanced for either their last names or their massive egos, and as a result there is a constant shuffling at upper management positions, says to me a lack of competence in said positions. Arrogance is rampant here

Company is scared to death of unions, store management attends quarterly union propagandist meetings, where witch hunts are conducted to call out suspected union supporters.

Pay is decent, and your told its on par with other major chains, this is a half truth, staring pays are on par but tops are lower and mangerial salarys are below as well.

Payroll budgeting is a complete joke, high volume rural stores recieve less hours than low volume metropalitan stores, using rotation efforts as the excuse.

Bashas used to be a subject of pride for arizonans because of the dedication to community, this is for the
  more... most part gone, leaving to be more like a national chain however i feel like this is more of a "america" problem more than a bashas probelm, with lawsuits around every corner.

Benifits are par for the course. However due to tight labor budgets expect to leave for your vacations a day late, and come back a day early.

Ultimately i left because i seen my leaders being literally worked to unhealthy levels, stressed out and unhappy, working 70 hours a week, not exactly a future to behold.i learned a tremendous amount about buissness and retail here, and am forever thankful for it, but i wish id have jumped sooner. If you need a job, hop on board , but dont get caught in staying too long because you will be dissapointed.
Pros
Decent pay, credit union, oppourtunitty is there.
Cons
Stressful and unfullfilling, home/work balance, especially the higher you climb.
It was a very productive and fun work environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Green Valley, AZFebruary 24, 2018
I only had one problem while working there. It was with one of my Managers. She was always looking for something to write me up for when the only thing I did that was against the rules was take too many bathroom breaks and that's only because I was pregnant.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
One of the managers