Bashas' Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Overall good company to work for
2nd Assistant Store Director (Current Employee) –  Fountain Hills, AZOctober 13, 2018
I have enjoyed working for the company for the last 17 years. Generally friendly employees and good customers. Bashas is a local company so it draws a decent amount of people because they know their money will go towards local things.
Fast Paced
Cashier, Deposit Clerk, Scan Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 13, 2018
I worked for Bashas' for years. I love working there until they found themselves in financial problems and they started closing down the stores. I did enjoy my time there, but had to leave, as I could not take the chance of being laid off.

I was very disappointed that after years, I did not even receive a thank you card or anything from our Corporate office when I left. I was very disappointed.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Worked with School Schedules
Cons
Store being open on all holidays. We were no longer able to enjoy holidays with our family.
favoritism is prevalent
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kayenta, AZOctober 11, 2018
the hardest part about working here was the fact that the store director has her favorites and discriminates with no hesitation, While working their i was harassed discriminated against and set up for failure with my knowledge. very shady ion the store directors behalf. was unpaid for some shifts and was not given raises when i was entitled t them. very poorly managed,
Awkward and Somewhat Uncomfortable
Cashier/Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Parker, AZOctober 4, 2018
I was injured on the job once and the manager on duty just sent me home without asking what had happened or if I was ok. It wasn't until the next day when I had called in from said injury that they finally asked about the incident and sent me to a hospital to be checked.
store to get food
worker (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZ 85750September 29, 2018
this is a best a seasonal job for kids over the years you can see how a family can run a business into the ground this store will drag a dead foot till it falls off and then believe that it is better
No advancement not enough pay
Lumper-Forklift Operator-Unloader-Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 12, 2018
Not enough pay for the job title that is required to you.Not enough help with heavy loads .Hardly any help with managers such as management training.Learn and do it yourself type of workplace.
Pros
Sometimes shorter lunches
Cons
Short breaks
A Good first job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZSeptember 8, 2018
Basha's is a great place to work for those who are starting out with their first job. The management was really great and were always willing to help employees. The work itself was simple enough, but coupled with the heat of the desert, made it difficult in the summer.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
inconsistent hours
no room for advancement
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 7, 2018
Unless if you know one the Bashas owners or the managers personally, you will be passed up for positions you know are qualified for. No family/work balance.
Don't work here.
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 6, 2018
Bashas bakeries are awful places to work. I would tell everyone to stay far, far away.
Management--cares nothing for their employees. Never takes their employees' side against abusive customers or coworkers. Pushes workers extremely hard and guilt trips them for ever being sick, injured, having family problems, feeling even slightly negative about anything. If a customer screams in your face or threatens you, you will be expected to take it with a smile and say nothing to your manager or anyone else.
Coworkers/workplace culture--everyone is dispirited, down, or even outright mean. People spread malicious gossip and try to get each other fired because they are bored. Again, management will do nothing to stop this. There is propaganda everywhere about how evil unions are. Employees are reprimanded for clocking in at anything but exactly their scheduled time. Tons of food is thrown away even when it's perfectly good. Eating food that's going to be thrown out is treated as a fireable or even criminal offense.
The work--boring and yet somehow insanely stressful at the same time. Bakeries are chronically understaffed, yet are constantly pushed to produce more and more. Employees are not given the hours or the staff to get everything done and are shamed for this. Yet employees are also not paid for or even allowed to work overtime, so if anyone tries to sacrifice their personal life to get work done they will be berated by management. There is no way to win.
Work-life balance--non-existent. There are no set schedules and therefore no way to plan a life. You cannot request a set
  more... schedule unless you provide proof you have another job or go to school. You will be guilted if you ask for a single day off, let alone try to use your vacation time all at once. In fact, employees were actively encouraged to replace their regular days off with paid time off so that people would be unable to go on long trips. It is exhausting and confusing and you can never commit to anything. By the time you get home from work you will be so exhausted and unhappy you won't want to do anything, either. You cannot work here full time and have a fulfilling life at the same time.

In conclusion, a Bashas bakery is a miserable place to work. I haven't worked here in a year and I'm still haunted by it. Just say no.
Pros
PTO offered after a year of work
Cons
Everything else
Bashas is a great place to work at
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 25, 2018
Staff and management are very friendly and can work as a team to get the job done. Everyone is super friendly and very supportive. Managers are very understanding and can cooperate with your schedules.
Pros
5 dollars off 15 dollars, discounted lunch
Cons
Depending on the day it might be busy
Slow but standardize
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chinle, AZAugust 14, 2018
A typical day at work will be slow and tedious.
I learned how to operate a scrubber machine, buff machine, and wax floors.
Management is on top of paperwork and inspection.
The workplace culture is traditional.
The hardest part of the job is staying clean.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being independent.
Pros
Working alone
Cons
No rest time and floor manager observes your work.
Overall Bashas' is a good company to work for
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 12, 2018
Bashas' is family oriented, they always understand if you need to leave because of a family emergency and they really try and make it so that you are not missing out on family activities. The last couple years though this company have become top heavy, where there are many supervisors or managers in the corporate level so communication is lacking. There is a new vice president and I truly believe she will be doing some great things and changing a lot of the systems and procedures. It does take time and it is a competitive market out there for retail.
Best job so far
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 11, 2018
Work wasn't too stressful aside from busy days. Solid management and co workers. I was part time and never received paid time off or employee benefits.
Productive Fast Learning Energetic
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 11, 2018
Liked My Job,Is Just The Hours That Sucks,Like Meeting New People Some Customers Can Be A Handful,Love Working with my co-workers There lot To learn but very easy once you get to know the routine. management very friendly easy to get along with. Loved my job didn`t like the hours.
A great place if you like people and great patience for loud bosses
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whiteriver, AZ 85941August 7, 2018
Making customers feel welcomed was a great part of the time there. weekly pay helped to know what to expect. as long as you have a smile and don't want to cheat the customers you'll have a great time
Great place to work, just doesn't pay well
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Litchfield Park, AZJuly 25, 2018
The one thing I didnt like was the fact that they didn't have set hours . Your schedule was always different. Also, they would cut back hours, schedule a single person for 8 hours. i don't know how they can be successful and not have some sort of consistency. And when we would be busy, that's when they would have only cashier from 6-2;30 with the bookkeeper being used as a a back up cashier.
Pros
I met alot of great people. I made a few friends
Cons
over worked and under paid
Like walmart it is a fast pace job
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 20, 2018
I think bashas is an ok company to work for i just wish for the type of work we do .i wish the pay was better and our days off were 2 days back to back instead of the rotating schedule other than that i enjoy the fast pace makes the day go faster.
Pros
Its an ok paying job for now.
Cons
I wish pay was better and days off werent split.
Good place to work.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Catalina, AZJuly 19, 2018
A work day at Bashas was very busy and you need to have good customer service skills. The management team was still in training while working at the the Deli. The Director of the store was fair and understood me very well.
Fast-paced and interpersonal customer service job
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 16, 2018
Good customer service makes a difference at Bashas'. If you serve your customers with respect and gratitude, this attitude will be reflected. This company is family-oriented and will work around your education or family issues if needed. They value education and personal life.
Pros
Member discount, teamwork, holiday meals in break room
Cons
short breaks, work holidays & weekends
Extremely long hours and daily work
Lead Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carefree, AZJuly 9, 2018
I performed both as the day time culinary cook and as the lead assistant manager. It was stressful. I was hired because the Deli was failing Health and Safety and it was my main objective to completely correct this.I left after a year of in control Health and Safety assessments and recruitment to Sprouts .
Pros
I learned culinary skills beyond my previous skills.
Cons
long hours and continued employee turn over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bashas' Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.