Basic American Foods Employee Reviews

Didnt like it
Operator Helper (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAMay 15, 2018
Hard to take time off. Always hassled and pushed to do more than you have time for. Is not a job i would enjoy going back to. Managment is very focused on pushing their employees to do more than a normal workload and angry when not meeting their expectaions.
This job was fun, managment doesn't take care of major issues.
LINE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IdahoMay 2, 2018
This job was fun and challenging physically and mentally. I enjoyed learning my line and how everything worked together. The only part I did not like was being on a cement floor for twelve hours and if the line wasn't running then no break. I could not do that kind of work anymore, hard on back. Management would not take care of issues of harassment, that is other reason for leaving. Examples are getting verbally assaulted by an employee that was under my supervision. One more example is getting hit by a forklift because of careless driving. Reported, but nothing was done.
Pros
Retirement plan
Cons
Twelve hour shifts sometimes no breaks.
Decent place to work strict on attendance
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDApril 9, 2018
Not for every one hard if you have or are a young family. Pay and benefits are great . Depending on your supervisor you could deli love or hate working there
Productive with high stress
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelley, IDApril 3, 2018
Very Stressful job with lack of trained personnel. work 12 hour days and asked to stay over for meetings with out compensation. Micromanaged by the plant manager.
Face paced production
Bracket 2 Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDApril 1, 2018
Decent place if on the right crew, has some poor management. Not great at working with medical leave. Good place if you like the heat and dont mind swing shifts.
Long work weeks. Sometimes up to 15 days without a day off.
OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAMarch 30, 2018
Managment will pick whoever they like most to move up in the company. Be prepared to work twice as much if your good at your job. HR is impossible to get ahold of.
Pros
Average pay
Cons
Long work weeks. Management.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Blackfoot, IDMarch 27, 2018
I don't really have much to say. I have not worked there in years. from what I remember, it was fine. general labor job. not much to say about it. long hours
Easy work
Gemine Operator Helper (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDMarch 15, 2018
As bracket 2 you do a lot of cleaning with high pressure water guns and vacuuming depending on the area you are working. It a hot place to work. You do a lot of independent work and some team working.Hardest part of the job is the heat and going behind others who didn't clean as well as they should have. I loved cleaning on the second floor its a wet area but I truly enjoyed just cleaning each piece of equipment and knowing that I did my job correctly and it didn't have to be redone by someone else because I did my job right. I felt that management needs to listen to the employee more they are the ones running the equipment not management.
Pros
Pays more then most jobs in the area
Cons
short breaks and hard to take time off if your full time
Great place to work, can be challenging at times, lots of great people to work with.
SHIFT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Shelley, IDFebruary 10, 2018
There are a lot of things going on that make every day different. The people want to make a difference and do a good job. There are some really great people working there both in management and on the floor.
Pros
Great healthcare and insurance.
Cons
Rotating shifts.
Could barley pay my bills
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake WashingtonFebruary 10, 2018
Basic American foods had three people doing my job and cut down to one person doing it and we’re not even give him one days pay for an honest days work I was told to my face that I was lucky to have a job and I was overpaid they had $1000 deductible for their insurance so most hourly employees cannot afford the deductible
Pros
Paid for lunch
Cons
Usually cut short by supervisor
Internal career advancement needs work
Operations (Former Employee) –  Blackfoot, IDFebruary 8, 2018
Upper Management in production side does not communicate with well with others on administrative side or hourly employees to give a clear path on career development. More training is needed overall with team leads and LO's for better production and scheduling. Operation Coordinator position is underpaid and no career path in that position for management. Employees are constantly changing positions with very little one on one training around heavy machinery, equipment. Scary and intimidating for new hires and temps.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
24/7 12 hour rotation shifts can be brutal on body
Amazing Sales Experience
GFS Lead Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2018
You set your own calendar

Focus on continuous training

Great upper management

Travel is the only negative

Great Pay

Great benefits including company car, phone, computer, etc
Pros
Stable, fun, exciting
Cons
Travel, Industry
Just a paycheck
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDJanuary 30, 2018
If you're looking to get a paycheck and watch people get away with poor decision-making and zero accountability, then this is the place for you. I am an ambitious person with every intention to do what I must to move up in the company, but all I've received is empty promises while I watch underperformers receive job offer after job offer. The company cares not for your merits.
Cold and careless.
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Shelley, IDDecember 18, 2017
Managers without much sway seem eager to help and improve. Unfortunately the people that are in charge do not care. HR is impossible to reach, I often got close to being run down by forklifts, and you can forget about reaching anyone outside of your shift. I was told not to be there on my shift, and as a result my time as a temp ended with two weeks of me not coming in to work because I couldn’t get my schedule. I worked for six months, and even though I often brought up getting hired on, they only said I was up on the list and then nothing would happen. They do not care about you.
Pros
Some managers and most warehouse workers are great to work with.
Cons
The way up or in is blocked with people looking after themselves.
Managers are useles and HR is the worst
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake, WADecember 4, 2017
Managers are incompetent. Employees are unappreciated. Schedule is inconsistent due to management oversight. It's filthy and unsafe and HR is no help.
Hard work
Packaging Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Shelley, IDNovember 29, 2017
As an intern sometimes, I felt like I wasn't listened to. On the other hand, they did implement one of my ideas while I was there. It was very fast paced, especially on the production floor.
Pros
discounts on product
Cons
pay wasn't the best
Sad to go
Operator helper/QA tech (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WANovember 28, 2017
When I left Basic American, it was with a heavy heart. The culture is amazing, there's a really nice feel, you become family. Management is generally great, and competent. Working conditions aren't bad, but you're definitely pushed to perform. Which I liked, because there was always room for improvement and there was variety in the work.
Pros
Paid lunches, great pay and benefits, amazing culture, great management
Cons
Weekends are almost always required, shifts aren't guaranteed, you're gonna get dirty
Good pay, hard hours
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Rexburg, IDNovember 17, 2017
Most people work 12 hour rotating shifts, this means working every hour of the day. For some people this isn't a problem. If working long shifts and changing work from day shift to graveyard shift regularly doesn't bother you, you'd probably like working here as they pay well.

It can a fun and rewarding job if you willing to work hard. Some management can be difficult to work with, but if you work hard, communicate well and seek to improve yourself if you lacking in an area, there shouldn't be any big problems.
Pros
Good pay and great benefits
Cons
long hours and hard labor
This job was mundane but entertaining from time to time
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Blackfoot, IDNovember 14, 2017
Factory work was different to say the least. Large machinery all around wherever I went. Lound noises from machinery running day and night, always something to do. Very friendly life time workers.
Pros
Great benefits that accomidated great wages
Cons
Very fixed hours and from time to time mundane tasks
Very stressfull.....
Operator (Former Employee) –  Shelley, IDNovember 8, 2017
Super stressful environment, too many rules to remember. Quite a few are unnecessary. The job and hours andjob duties are very trying, especially if you have a family. Pay and benefits are pretty good though.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Basic American Foods. Our community is ready to answer.