BASIS Educational Group Employee Reviews

For the Fremont Campus only...
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 2, 2019
This is a true, honest review for the Fremont campus. I see these other reviews and I’ve been here for years... I truly don’t think it’s as abysmal as other reviews may have you believe.
The pay definitely could be better. But if you live in the Bay Area, you have to take a step back and realize that you work in education. Not exactly a lucrative field. I have friends in tech making exactly the same as us so you really can’t blame BASIS for that.
The culture is pretty solid. I adore my coworkers, have a great relationship with my manager and the kids make every day worth so much more than a paycheck.
Your workload will most likely be heavy, but if you’ve ever worked at a school, you know that you must wear many hats. Work hard, but the reward is pretty great (happy kids)!
Management...this is perhaps my biggest gripe. Conflicting messages, unclear individual professional development plans, low raises, lack of recognition, money motivated. Sometimes it’s tough. However, bonuses are pretty sweet, managers do usually make you feel included in decisions and if you have the backbone, it is possible to fight for your own growth path. If you’re not willing to do good work and make it known, you likely won’t go far.
All that being said, if I were to spend another 4 years with BASIS, I wouldn’t be sad. I’ve found a community that - for the most part - has grown together over the years and looks out for one another. If the CEO was willing to listen to a bit of honest feedback, it would be a 5 star company across the board!
Pros
Bonuses, company events, happy kids, lots of breaks, days go by QUICK
Cons
Pay not impressive, prideful management, unclear communication
Run!
Taecher (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 17, 2018
I should have paid attention to the reviews before me. School leadership is nonexistent. The work culture was extremely negative, especially because there was a lack of leadership. The work hours are extreme, which is not in the contract and they do not tell you until hiring. You are expected to teach from 8-5pm, which does not include prep time and parent meetings. There is a very high turn over rate, because it is a horrible place to work. Run!
Great Place to Work!
Accounting/Finance (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 13, 2018
I've been working for BASIS.ed for two years now and I absolutely love it! It's a great working environment, company culture and they really listen to your ideas. The company has been around for a while, but it's nice that they value your input and you feel you are making a difference.
Pros
Free snacks, casual dress code, lots of time off for the holidays
Cons
Shared office space
Great Culture and Work Dynamic
Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 13, 2018
The BASIS educational program is a refreshing take on the public school education in Arizona. They truly prepare their students for the future and it is such a pleasure to be part of that success. Engaged students and a faculty that will have your back. Pay could be higher but that's just the education field in general. Not in it for the money!
Pros
Amazing students and proactive parents. Free medical and bonuses!
Cons
No ASR
Good Pay, Terrible Management, Run Like Business NOT a School
Front Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2018
While the pay for the admin side of the company is very competitive, the culture among managers is the worst. From hiring within the school with people who have no experience and work in a clique (Yes, like in HS), to not posting job openings, not communicating with their staff, and blaming our lack of raises on teachers RED for Ed movement, the culture is going down the drain. I only stay because of 2 reasons: I have a family to support, and my fellow friends.

It's a great place to stay for a year or 2 to get experience but stay any longer than that and you'll be screwed over financially and personally.
Pros
Good Pay, Work/Life Balance is Good, Great Employees
Cons
Overworked, no communication, Management sucks, no room for growth, Raises are little to none
Managment severely lacking
Administration (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 9, 2018
What was stated as the expectation and what was actually expected were two totally different things. I was broughtin to change certain things and was not afforded the opportunity to do that. Managment was grossly inept and if you didn’t fall in line with their every wish, you were black-listed.
Pros
Co-workers were competent and supportive
Cons
Managment
Basis
Director of Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 6, 2018
BASIS was a great place to work.The students and parents were wonderful. I would suggest anyone wanting a better education for their student to check in to BASIS.
Productive Working Place
Student Advocate Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2018
I like working at Basis, however the pressure you have and the work environment is not a good place or fit for me. I wanted to be in a more well rounded place where I enjoy coming to work each day. A
Pros
Great health plans, love my colleges and team, work together to get the job done.
BASIS.ed is a great company to work for
Director of Finance and Accounting (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 3, 2018
The company really cares about its employees. The company has great culture and work environment. BASIS.ed Paid Time Off is one of the best I've ever seen.
Productive place to work
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 10, 2017
Great job for learning how to multi-task and getting used things always changing. There are a lot of great leaders/managers who try to develop you, but you must be able to adapt to constant changes.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
no one is ever on the same page
Watch your back
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 19, 2017
The only way to stay at basis Oro Valley is to please the director. It doesn't matter how smart you are. If she doesn't like you, then you are out. The cultural diversity doesn't happen to be a basis thing. For example, I am the only Black teacher at Basis.
Owners need to open eyes and clean out all head of departments
Finance (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 4, 2017
Culture is terrible. They expect 60-70 hours a week standard with constant added responsibility with no further compensation. Work is pushed down from the top so your doing that persons job on top of your own while they take the credit for everything. Walking the halls you can visibly see how miserable people are yet not one top person cares enough to look into it. Try voicing there is a problem or try to fix issues and you're labeled a complainer. Very sad actually. There are many dedicated, intelligent employees but they are not appreciated and get burnt out.
Pros
Cafe is stocked with food.
Cons
Management is terrible across the board at corporate. Salaries are below state average. No reviews, raises or bonuses unless your management
They have a ways to go
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 23, 2017
Potential of being a great company but have a lot to learn as they step into the Corporate world. Work culture is carefree but they still have a Mom & Pop type mindset trying to step into Corporate America. Management team definitely needs training across the board. It's hard to do your job when you know the rules but management isn't ready to enforce them. I enjoyed the people I worked with. You had a sense of family in some ways.

All in all this company has great potential but it will be some years before they get there. Until then, they have a lot of room for improvement.
Pros
Employee Cafe was stocked with great snacks. Company functions are a lot of fun, they spare no expense.
Cons
No real structure yet. Fast growing company that grow faster then they can keep up with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BASIS Educational Group. Our community is ready to answer.

BASIS Educational Group Reviews by Location