Bass Pro Shops Employee Reviews

Found 1,377 reviews matching the search See all 1,450 reviews
Do not work here
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAAugust 23, 2018
I worked here for 8 months. The pay was $8.50 per hour for customer relations which is way under the areas average for that position. I was named as the top cashier along with receiving associate. I was lied to and told that i would receive a raise for my performance by the department manager only to find out by the assistant manager of the store that performance does not matter everyone gets a raise after a set amount of time little by little. The managers do not pay attention to your schedule of when you’re available and not available. I was scheduled every week on days i was not able to work after providing the manager with a copy of my availability multiple times. This is overall a bad place to work if you need any sort of substantial money.
Pros
Employee discount, friendly co workers
Cons
Horrible pay, terrible managers, little to no breaks
Good job but training terrible
Boat service manager (Former Employee) –  TallahasseeOctober 11, 2018
My first 2 months were terrible. Job training was not provided until in was sent to corporate to train. Any of my employees that were hired with me, were thrown in the fire with me. No set training for me the manager or regular employee. Also as a manager the store never wanted to discipline the employees. Even after getting approval for a write up from corporate, my manager and store manager always under minded me and never gave a write up. This resulted in no one listening and always talking back. I was constantly having to go behind people and make sure they were doing stuff right.
Pros
Salary employees had alot of slack and not much of accountability
Cons
No discipline, no good training
Exciting but a dead end
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 17, 2018
This company is so fun to work for, but the pay is nowhere near competitive, the benefits are nonexistent (for part-time employees, which everyone is), and there is no room for advancement beyond team lead. The company today is not what it was 7 years ago. The company today couldn’t care less if you were in a car accident where as the company 7 years ago would have everyone sign a card for you. You are expendable and they let you know that as they force their credit card agenda on you.
Good company, well run at the executive level.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 27, 2018
Very respected company with dedicated employees. Pay rate is a little on the low side for many lower and mid-level positions. I do have a criticism that employee training leaves much to be desired. Management sometime sends conflicting messages down the line. Communication could greatly improve the work standard accross the board.
Pros
Benefits, weekly pay, discounts
Cons
Low pay rate, little ongoing training, management disconnected
This could be the best place to work, but...
Product Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 13, 2018
Bass Pro Shops management does not take the time to help their employees or take the time to listen. They berate their employees verbally, and do not treat them well. This should be the best place in the world to work, but management is scared to empower anyone to do their job. They always say business is good for 11 months of the year, and when the month of reviews comes around, all of a sudden the business was the worst ever so we cannot raise pay. The employees are a great bunch of folks and really care about the products they sell.
Cons
Horrible employee treatment
fun place to work
Front End Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCSeptember 20, 2018
employees and management are like family. there is some down time in the mid day so thats a good time to restock on sullpies. hardest part of my job would be customers getting upset with me over a policy that i have no control over .
Pros
nice discount, friendly staff
Cons
no room for advancement, raises are small
Enjoyable place to be a part time associate
Hunting Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 16, 2018
Best atmosphere I have worked in from a management position. Days are positive with management always willing to assist on daily basis, Have enjoyed increasing my knowledge of pistols, adding to high experience in rifles and shotguns
Pros
positive environment
Cons
low salary
Great Staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAOctober 3, 2018
Opened store, made sure all supplies and things needed are ready for the day.
Everyday is a new experience, we are always learning new things.
Workplace and environment is nice, i love working with customers and my co-workers.
Pros
Steady schedule
Cons
Compensation is very small regardless of review. No room for growth
No no in Memphis
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 21, 2018
The management in appeal is horrible. She has no control over her staff. The staff aren't customer friendly. Its a messy girly environment. Know body received the same treatment. You have to be part of a 'click' in order to have a good work environment. The pay was good. Benifits are horrible. It wasn't woek my six months.
fun to work there
maintenance lead (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTAugust 28, 2018
only thing wrong was the compensation which wasnt up to what they wanted from you. I was hired as a salaried member of management, and the friday before i went to corporate they eliminated the job and offered me an hourly position with the same responsibilities,, at half the money
Great atmosphere but too many hours
Line and Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 13, 2018
The Pyramid is a great place to work, Great pay and benefits, however, I ended up working many more hours that I was brought on for. The other employees are competitive yet cooperative.
My experience with Bass Pro
Stock Clerk and Sales (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJuly 6, 2018
You do customer service, and stock in the day. Management was poor and the workplace culture was toxic and borderline abusive. Everybody was nosy, cutthroat, wanted to butt into your business, unprofessional.
Pros
good benefits, fairly decent pay
Cons
poor management, toxic and unprofessional work environment
Was an okay place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 17, 2018
At the beginning of working here the coworkers were great & the management was too. As the years went on most of the great managers left or got fired & a lot if the new employees we would get in didn't seem to have any work ethic.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, only time the store closes is Christmas day
decent part time job
Customer Relations (Former Employee) –  Hannover, MDMarch 11, 2018
I worked at Bass Pro Shops full time for 5 years. I was the most qualified for a promotion multiple times and was overlooked every time. Bass Pro has a way of trapping you in one position and salary range. The people they promote are either close friends with the managers or have literally been working there for decades. I am African American and did experience mild racism, mostly from customers, and occasionally from employees. I worked 40 hours a week, but people would call out regularly, being such a big store, so if working overtime is easily achieved. They are really good at working around your schedule and the store is so big there is definitely a place for everyone to find a job they like.
Pros
flexible working schedule
Cons
poor pay and managment
Good company
Bartender and Server (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 12, 2018
Great company to work for, but in the restaurant there was no career advancement only downside. Great pay and benefits! Don't be discouraged plenty of room to achieve and grow in the store for the ones who enjoy retail.
Fun work place, with great cutomers
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 1, 2018
I've worked for this company for 13 years. I’ve seen it grow from 26 stores to over 80! I was around for the merger with Cabela’s which doubled the company size over night. They love to do different local events for the community and children. For example they do free pictures with Santa and the Easter Bunny, have a family summer camp where kids can shoot a bow and a Red Rider BB gun. Our location had Fly Tying classes as well as fishing demonstrations. The staff is very knowable in what they do and love to talk to you about their experiences and how to make the best out of your equipment or to help you decide what would work best for your needs. Ohh the BEST part was that they’re a pet friendly store!
Pros
Good benifits, fun place to work, always meeting new people with loads of life stories, great discounts. Pet friendly
Cons
Managment didnt always help out associates with their needs. No real room for moving up the ranks.
great place
TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 23, 2018
Great Culture and great customers
They offer great benefits such ad dental, health, and 401k. Job culture is positive treat you great and regularly provide food.
Review
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 8, 2018
With working here you make friends and become family with the people you work with but other than that the company is not a good all around company. They over work you to death for little pay.
Pros
Make life long friends
Cons
no breaks, no benifits and work hard long hours
Good for retirement and college kids
Hunting Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 14, 2018
If your looking for a cool place to work with cool stuff for retirement or going to school, Bass Pro is a good job. They will work with your schedule pretty well. Don't expect to get paid well though, your raises are maybe 30 cents and they'd rather hire someone from outside than promote from with in. In short its good for temporary or flexible work, but not career advancement.
Pros
Flexible schedule, paid time off even for part time, and good people
Cons
Micromanagement is at new levels there
short breaks,
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 13, 2018
No comment. Very strict rules Confused management. No training in areas you were sent to. Manager of department was poor with people interactions. Associates were terrific experienced
Pros
Discounts on certain merchandice
Cons
No benifits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bass Pro Shops. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight