Bassett Furniture Employee Reviews

Poor Managment
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 13, 2019
I enjoyed being a sales consultant however the management team was not well constructed. Salary did not meet my expectations and I would not recommend working there.
A place to create for clients
Certified Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dublin, CAJune 4, 2019
Great furniture made in the US. Many fabrics, leathers and different styles of furniture designs to choose from. 4 to 6 weeks from order to delivery. Great customer service.
Following through with clients from design, ordering to delivery is important.
I increased my furniture design, information and knowledge of various products by taking classes offered to improve my design style.
New fabrics and leathers arrive every 6 months.
The management supports my efforts. I have freedom to create.
The team of designers assist each other when working on projects.
Sometimes I must work over time to finish a project or work with a client. It is OK as it shows the clients that I am willing to make sure they have the design, furniture, fabrics choices and products for a comprehensive and complete style they desire.
I enjoy the various pieces of furniture available that enables me to present a complete room design. Art, rugs, plants and mirrors add to the over all look.
Bringing together a room(s) which blends design, harmony, style and color.
The accolades I receive after a room(s) are complete and installed gives me a deep sense of satisfaction.
I am passionate about my work.
Pros
Free lunches on Holidays
Cons
Sometimes long hours. Working every weekend.
Terrible place to work. They don't care for employees. Working conditions are horrible.
Upholsterer (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 20, 2019
They care nothing for the employees! Management sucks!! They dont know how to run a plant to effectively. They need to get in the 20 century, about 30 years behind.
Pros
Cons
Worst job ever!!
Ok Place to Work
Certified Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 15, 2019
The furniture is of good quality and the concepts of customizing for the customer is good in theory. Delivery and manufacturing can at times drop the ball. The marketing for the So. Cal stores doesn't drive customers in the door which makes it challenging to build a steady clientele. Overall pleasant work environment but the ability to commission consistently is challenging.
Pros
Nice Product to sell, nice people to work with
Cons
Inconsistent commission, working every weekend
Commissioned based
Sales Representative / Certified Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 14, 2019
It was a difficult environment to establish trust while being commissioned based. There's was stealing of sales that happen on a regular basis without any recourse other than moving forward. This mind set kept this behavior going causing a stressful environment to work in.
Dont work here if you are use to making money
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 8, 2019
Unfair treatment management allows their favorite people to steal sales from their co workers. They expect alot but dont want to pay for the design help you give. Theres hardly traffic at all you may go all day with no customer. Noooo money!
Not worth the time! You can find something better.
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMay 6, 2019
The store has very poor, inexperienced management. The pay is terrible and the store is always empty. Thw turn over rate is ridiculous, people come and go mainly because management is so terrible. You’ll have to have a second job working here full time.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Management, pay rate, work environment
Under Trained And Body Shamed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 28, 2019
I was working for Bassett La Jolla location. I was under trained. I continuously reached out for help, but didn't receive what I needed to succeed. When I would ask questions, my manager would clearly get frustrated, roll her eyes, and basically show her frustration. I was only scheduled to work three days per week, which didn't allow much time for repetition. Upon returning to work, after my four days off, I noticed my computer home screen was an image of a butter finger, bag of hot cheetos, and a pepsi! I am the only plus size person at the job. I asked my manager, why was this on my computer. She stated, oh the other manager was teasing her about her weight. She is very thin might I add. My question was why would he put this image on my computer, and save it as my screen saver, and not put it on her computer. I took a picture of my computer screen and sent it to my husband. Days later, I took a picture of her screen, which still had no images of junk food, however the junk food image was still on my computer. For two weeks, I would be distracted, and not able to fully function due to staring at this picture of junk food and feeling body shamed, as if I didn't fit in because I am the only one on the entire team that's this size, and constantly dealing with rolling of eyes, and deep frustration when I asked for help. Today, I decided enough was enough, and I QUIT!!!
N/a
Sales and Home Interior Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 17, 2019
Upper management never took the side of the employee and always was defensive when reporting issues or problems with the manager. Even told the highest salesperson she would be fired if she spoke out against the manager.
There are better options out there
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2019
If you’re looking to work in furniture you’d be better off and one of the other higher end stores. The Bassett Austin store is crumbling and business suffers because of the location and lack of proper resources. Coworkers are gossipy and cut throat, manager seems to lack the ability to think critically and get things done in a timely manner. They say they don’t like to micromanage but you are in fact micromanaged at every step of your job. Customer care representatives and the manager make mistakes that cost you sales and client relationships. You have to work every weekend, you’re only required to work 9-8pm every other Saturday but if you’d like to make money you end up staying till 8 more often than not. If you take off a weekend it is financial suicide since 90% of your sales are made on Saturday and Sunday, other than that it is painstakingly slow on the week days. If you don’t make commission, which happens many months, you end up bringing home around $11.25 an hour if you work 40 hours a week. But, you are commissioned and you don’t get paid for the actual hours you work and considering that you will work at least 45 hours a week you actually end up bringing home $8.40 an hour on non commission earning months! If you write 50k in sales that month you’ll end up bringing home a total of about $2500 which is basically nothing when you consider how hard you actually have to work to sell that 50k and how many hours you have to put in. A lot of other furniture stores have a much higher guaranteed draw (Bassett’s is $1850 before taxes) so that you are actually able to live and  more... not have to worry about your sales as much. At Bassett if you don’t sell because of a slow month you might not be buying groceries the next month. Sales goals are unrealistic and you are penalized if you do not meet them even if other designers were in the same boat. You are called a designer but really you’re a glorified furniture salesman. The furniture is a great quality, expensive but they are coming out with better styles which makes it easier to sell. But, the work life balance, constant stress and back stabby coworkers just don’t make it worth it, especially when you consider that many people there make less than 40k a year, even people with actual interior design degrees. Bottom line, there are better options out there, places that will treat you like a professional adult and value your skills instead of just treating you like a warm body to fill up schedule gaps. Good luck.  less
Pros
Nothing really spectacular comes to mind
Cons
Work life balance, pay, stress, gossipy coworkers
Good place overall
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAMarch 29, 2019
Bassett furniture overall is a good place to work. Over the fifteen years that I was there it had its ups and downs. The owner was very good at getting to know his employees. It was a great place to learn how to be your person and work as a team
Pros
Loved driving
Cons
Not full 8 hr days.
Relaxed work environment.
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 27, 2019
Bassett Furniture overall is a good company to work for.
I have not worked there for over 10 years. The work environment was pretty relaxed. The main reason i left was because of the pay. Things may have changed since i left the company.
Basset cool laid-back
Furniture Technician (Former Employee) –  Essex, MDMarch 25, 2019
A nice cool job to have as long as you wanted it you only fired your self not much for a raise but there were no problem getting off as long as the work was done
Pros
Cool manager, food truck, friend and family oriented
Cons
No raise
I enjoyed working there and will miss the people.
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CA and Orange CountyMarch 12, 2019
Tasks inclined delivered sales, P & L performance for all five store locations and 1 warehouse from an operational income perspective, training new store managers and customer care specialists, maintaining inventory controls, cash management procedures and delivery goals for a five-store operation.
Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2019
There were some times where work flow was slow and compensation was not provided when long hours were worked. Some cons are late traffic coming from Austin .
Work Life
customer care specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 25, 2019
An awesome environment, occasionally fast paced and stressful but not always. My manager was amazing and my coworkers were just as great at our store
Pros
Flexible hours, great environment, pay, benefits
Cons
Occasionally workload was too much
Terrible Managment
Credit Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Bassett, VAFebruary 13, 2019
This company is still stuck in the past. Management is terrible & misleading. Unfair working environment. Often felt harassed. Everyone that works there has been there for ages. It needs a complete face lift!
horrible experience
designer (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 1, 2019
0 life / work balance. lies and unfulfilled promises. Management created a hostile work environment . Designers were only as good as their last sale. Anxiety created by the store manager to reach weekly or monthly goal was disgusting and disturbing.
Good place to work, clean plant, poor pay
Lead CNC Set-up/operator/programmer (Former Employee) –  Bassett, VAJanuary 30, 2019
Nice people to work with, had clean plant, pay was poor, benefits okay, machines were dependable, plant closed resulting in lost jobs, decreased work,
Pros
Nice plant, machinery, poor pay, okay benefits
Cons
Plant closed
I loved it here
CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2019
My team was awesome I adored my Manger the sales team was great and I enjoyed interacting with the guest and watching the store change often . there was always something to do for learn from

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bassett Furniture. Our community is ready to answer.