Bassett Furniture Employee Reviews

Forward and upward moving company
WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 21, 2018
I enjoyed working for Bassett. It is a well respected company that is driven by their mission, goals, and employees. From day one, management made me feel welcome, encouraged cross training into management, and always made the employee feel that they are a key part in making the company successful. I was able to advance through their mentorship and was happy to return the favor to other employees wishing to advance.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits, 401k, stock options
Bassett was ok.
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Natick, MASeptember 17, 2018
It was hard to find a good work-life balance. I was working weekends and long days to accommodate customer appointments. In addition to the hours, I didn't like the competitive attitude of some of my coworkers, they would steal customers and management would not reprimand this behavior, more so encourage it. Made the job frustrating and this negatively affected myself and others working there.
Pros
Creative, Independent work
Cons
Little flexibility, competitive bullying not reprimanded.
Good Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
Selling furniture is a difficult way to make a living. This is a good company. I learn a great deal while working for them. They have a good training program for designers.
AMAZING place to work
Design Manager (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYAugust 8, 2018
I cannot give Bassett enough stars for my experience while working there. They gave me the opportunity to start as a sales person and promoted me to store management within three months. They continued my track and through several different lateral moves and promotions, I found my favorite position to be as their design manager. Despite the position being dissolved company wide, the company gave me incentives to still be a leader in this aspect throughout the rest of my career with them.
Unfortunately, I had to resign because I moved to a location that didn't have any Bassett's within my allowable commute range.
Great co-workers but was sold a lemon
Design Consultant/Sales (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 6, 2018
The training, coworkers, and manager were great! Everyone was helpful and welcoming. It is a good job to gain experience. The clients are usually very understanding and easygoing. I wasn’t told about working every weekend until after I already accepted the job and was waiting for my schedule. I remember, I kept asking about my start date/ schedule and then finally after I already gave notice to my other job I was told, “Ok, so you will work some evenings and weekends, is that ok?” But once I received the schedule, I realized it’s every weekend, not “some”. And it’s because more people are out shopping in the weekends but it makes it difficult for employee’s life. I have noticed that a few of my coworkers are taking vacations so they are getting approved for weekends off. I did ok with sales my first few months, but when you don’t make it, the pay is awful. Which isn’t acceptable for a mother of two. Someone informed me that they never seen anyone go over 70,000 in sales a month. Oh yea, and it was only a one time occasion. Which is not what was told to me during the interview. The manager painted a very pretty picture, but it didn’t take long to realize it wasn’t real.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Every weekend and holiday; pay
Very professional work environment.
DESIGN CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2018
Assisted clients with design for living spaces in the home. Furniture sales and service. Learned on the job training through vigorous computer classes provided on site. Very wonderful place to work and would highly recommend this company for the artistic home décor designer. I moved to a new location and had to leave the company.
business relocated to North Carolina
Traffic Clerk/Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Booneville, MS 38829July 26, 2018
Bassett was a ok place to work. They just closed out plants in mississippi and moved the jobs to north carolina and arkansas. They only allowed a select few to transfer
Pros
Air conditioned
Shark like sales culture
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 25, 2018
Decent money, but you'll fight your peers for sales. Weekends are almost required for you to hit your sales goals. Compensation is good as long as you hit your sales goal.
With a Smile: A Story of a Hopeful Designer at a Doomed Location
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 12, 2018
Working at Bassett as a Design Consultant (Sales Consultant) began as a very positive experience. Management is very flattering, while giving the impression of being blunt yet polite. The design program is great for those without experience, because it allows you to (slowly) gain knowledge in client interaction. I feel like the design part of the job was oversold. In actuality the interior design aspect of the job is minimal. There just simply are not enough serious clients who want partial to full room "makeovers."
There is a fairly large range of clientele. (mostly middle class though) It is very difficult to get a returning client base, as the company encourages competition and "the sale" above relationship and design.
The location I worked at (Annapolis, Maryland) was simply not busy enough to support the design staff. While traffic might be as high as high-performance stores, most traffic was casual, waiting for dinner reservations, just done shopping at Target, walking the dog, etc.
Schedules are given at the last minute. My impression is that upper management takes a long time to approve the schedules already delegated to store and district management. You work 10 hour shifts half of the weekends each month. (a regular shift is 8 hours) That being said, store management is very reasonable and flexible if necessary.
My coworkers were all personally wonderful, from customer service to management. However, because of the bleak sales outlook (month after month) there is an overall dreary workplace attitude.

Hardest parts of the job:
The kick-the-dog-while-they're-down
  more... corporate mentality (yes, it's a combination saying that I view as very fitting). If the store was doing well, it was because of "great new designs, programs, and promotions Bassett implemented." If the store was doing poorly, it was because the sales associates are lazy.
Draw against commission in a difficult location (and economy).

Best parts of the job:
Annapolis has an amazing location. There are so many great places to eat and shop nearby.
The store staff were very friendly and genuine people.
Ever evolving and moving forward
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 28, 2018
Bassett Furniture has its growing pains. Recently teamed with HGTV was an clever union and ultimately stimulated the bottom line for all involved. Management choices has a bit to be desired.
Would not recomend
Sales/Designer (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAJune 18, 2018
Great team members, work culture, with non management members. Very poor management. Very long hours, no room for growth. High stressful job, cut throat environment with management.
Great place to work.
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJune 8, 2018
Answering multiple phone lines and taking care of any customer care issues that might occur after the customer has been delivered and managing inventory of the store merchandise.
Fair place to work too much rivalry within workplace on the sales floor
Design Consultant/Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2018
DID NOT LIKE WORKING AT BASSETT. ALOT OF PRESSURE AND VERY LITTLE WORK SUPPORT

Very heavy work policy and little room for your own sales style.

Reporting about each customer you had helped.
Meetings on clients you had helped and heavy followup
A disaster!
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 27, 2018
Store gets no business. There are more salespeople than customers. You do nothing all day. Impossible to make a living. The manager is useless. Totally unorganized and unapproachable. Stay away!!
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Everything about the place and company
Great Staff but Corporate only cares about their Sales Staff
Customer Service Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 17, 2018
The culture can be great if your able to work with a vast range of personalities. Management lacks in communication. The hardest part of this job is realizing how much Bassett as a whole can care less for its support staff i.e. Customer Service!?! But I can say that most of all I loved working with the sales staff because they appreciate good and consistent support staff and show their gratitude, which corporate Bassett DOES NOT!
Pros
Great Staff to work with
Cons
Don't expect Corporate to recognize you unless your a top sales person!
Wow!
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 16, 2018
I really liked working here. Great people and place to work. It felt more like fun. Working with an HGTV mind-set for getting in the homes of the clients to design them a master piece was amazing. The management and staff is also great. Love you Bassett!
Great experience
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Bassett Furniture. Great place to work and lots of benefits. Fun atmosphere and lots of training and promoting from within the store.
Busy
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bassett, VAMay 5, 2018
Bassett Furniture provides for my family and others for many years. Steady, hard work. When jobs started going overseas Bassett was eventually one of them also. When I go back to my home town it looks like a ghost town due to plant closure.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Closed
Office Assistant
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2018
Taking customer orders an working with designers. The district manager's only concentration is sales. Anything else is irrelevant. The working environment is ok depending on your co-workers
Bait and Switch
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Summerlin, NVApril 3, 2018
They promote this as a design consultant job and it's not. It's a furniture sales job. Rarely will you design a space for a customer; that is if you have a customer at all. The new location is in a mall with very little traffic and the few people that come in are "just looking"
Cons
long hours of sitting around doing nothing, cut throat coworkers, back stabbing immaturity, management who won't deal with confrentation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bassett Furniture. Our community is ready to answer.