Bassett Furniture Employee Reviews

Packing Manager (Former Employee) –  Bassett, VADecember 8, 2018
I was packaging manager which made me responsible for properly getting furniture prepared for long distance hauling. It was different items each day which kept it from being repetitive
Pros
Great earning potential if you are self motivated and dedicated
Sales/Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  TXNovember 16, 2018
Excellent onsite training, large selection of products, great marketing, well-known product, easy to sell. be prepared to work most weekends and Holidays, rarely had time to spend with family, because of working weekends and evenings. Nice team of designers. The company has become increasingly corporate driven and employees are viewed more and more as number generators. A lot of recent changes have made the work experience more frustrating.
Pros
Commissioned sales, if you work hard you can earn a good living
Cons
Lack of flexibility on schedules some upper managers are self-serving
Professional Design sales.
Manager/Design Sales (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 5, 2018
Great company! Family owned franchise with professional designers who are more like family than coworkers. Sales driven business and each designer is responsible for developing their clients, even to the point of professional in home design consultation or in store sales.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Store hours too restrictive
Productive work areas and very family oriented .
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 30, 2018
A typical day would be cleaning and moving designer material for the show room sets . Painting show room walls and putting together material / items .
Visual Merchandiser
Lead Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 19, 2018
Great work environment and balance. Fulfilling job with amazing management. Daily merchandising of the store and placing orders. Highly recommend this company.
Bfd
CS/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 22, 2018
The design of the store was modern and current. I liked the accessories and furniture and wall colors. My working space was clean and new. Data Entry and computer knowledge. I am ambitious and always want experience in other area than just retail management. The job gave me additional career building that I wanted to work in professional sales and expand my career in more desk work and data entry. The most important subject to me still is customer service. I enjoyed reducing service orders and sticking to customer service. I learned a lot by working with the owners and managers mostly in my career. The job gave more qualifiers future resumes and offers.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
adversity (non standard)
Forward and upward moving company
WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 21, 2018
I enjoyed working for Bassett. It is a well respected company that is driven by their mission, goals, and employees. From day one, management made me feel welcome, encouraged cross training into management, and always made the employee feel that they are a key part in making the company successful. I was able to advance through their mentorship and was happy to return the favor to other employees wishing to advance.
Pros
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits, 401k, stock options
Bassett was ok.
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Natick, MASeptember 17, 2018
It was hard to find a good work-life balance. I was working weekends and long days to accommodate customer appointments. In addition to the hours, I didn't like the competitive attitude of some of my coworkers, they would steal customers and management would not reprimand this behavior, more so encourage it. Made the job frustrating and this negatively affected myself and others working there.
Pros
Creative, Independent work
Cons
Little flexibility, competitive bullying not reprimanded.
Good Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
Selling furniture is a difficult way to make a living. This is a good company. I learn a great deal while working for them. They have a good training program for designers.
AMAZING place to work
Design Manager (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYAugust 8, 2018
I cannot give Bassett enough stars for my experience while working there. They gave me the opportunity to start as a sales person and promoted me to store management within three months. They continued my track and through several different lateral moves and promotions, I found my favorite position to be as their design manager. Despite the position being dissolved company wide, the company gave me incentives to still be a leader in this aspect throughout the rest of my career with them.
Unfortunately, I had to resign because I moved to a location that didn't have any Bassett's within my allowable commute range.

Want to know more about Bassett Furniture?

Ask a question
Great co-workers but was sold a lemon
Design Consultant/Sales (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 6, 2018
The training, coworkers, and manager were great! Everyone was helpful and welcoming. It is a good job to gain experience. The clients are usually very understanding and easygoing. I wasn’t told about working every weekend until after I already accepted the job and was waiting for my schedule. I remember, I kept asking about my start date/ schedule and then finally after I already gave notice to my other job I was told, “Ok, so you will work some evenings and weekends, is that ok?” But once I received the schedule, I realized it’s every weekend, not “some”. And it’s because more people are out shopping in the weekends but it makes it difficult for employee’s life. I have noticed that a few of my coworkers are taking vacations so they are getting approved for weekends off. I did ok with sales my first few months, but when you don’t make it, the pay is awful. Which isn’t acceptable for a mother of two. Someone informed me that they never seen anyone go over 70,000 in sales a month. Oh yea, and it was only a one time occasion. Which is not what was told to me during the interview. The manager painted a very pretty picture, but it didn’t take long to realize it wasn’t real.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Every weekend and holiday; pay
Very professional work environment.
DESIGN CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2018
Assisted clients with design for living spaces in the home. Furniture sales and service. Learned on the job training through vigorous computer classes provided on site. Very wonderful place to work and would highly recommend this company for the artistic home décor designer. I moved to a new location and had to leave the company.
business relocated to North Carolina
Traffic Clerk/Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Booneville, MS 38829July 26, 2018
Bassett was a ok place to work. They just closed out plants in mississippi and moved the jobs to north carolina and arkansas. They only allowed a select few to transfer
Pros
Air conditioned
Shark like sales culture
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 25, 2018
Decent money, but you'll fight your peers for sales. Weekends are almost required for you to hit your sales goals. Compensation is good as long as you hit your sales goal.
With a Smile: A Story of a Hopeful Designer at a Doomed Location
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 12, 2018
Working at Bassett as a Design Consultant (Sales Consultant) began as a very positive experience. Management is very flattering, while giving the impression of being blunt yet polite. The design program is great for those without experience, because it allows you to (slowly) gain knowledge in client interaction. I feel like the design part of the job was oversold. In actuality the interior design aspect of the job is minimal. There just simply are not enough serious clients who want partial to full room "makeovers."
There is a fairly large range of clientele. (mostly middle class though) It is very difficult to get a returning client base, as the company encourages competition and "the sale" above relationship and design.
The location I worked at (Annapolis, Maryland) was simply not busy enough to support the design staff. While traffic might be as high as high-performance stores, most traffic was casual, waiting for dinner reservations, just done shopping at Target, walking the dog, etc.
Schedules are given at the last minute. My impression is that upper management takes a long time to approve the schedules already delegated to store and district management. You work 10 hour shifts half of the weekends each month. (a regular shift is 8 hours) That being said, store management is very reasonable and flexible if necessary.
My coworkers were all personally wonderful, from customer service to management. However, because of the bleak sales outlook (month after month) there is an overall dreary workplace attitude.

Hardest parts of the job:
The kick-the-dog-while-they're-down
  more... corporate mentality (yes, it's a combination saying that I view as very fitting). If the store was doing well, it was because of "great new designs, programs, and promotions Bassett implemented." If the store was doing poorly, it was because the sales associates are lazy.
Draw against commission in a difficult location (and economy).

Best parts of the job:
Annapolis has an amazing location. There are so many great places to eat and shop nearby.
The store staff were very friendly and genuine people.
Ever evolving and moving forward
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 28, 2018
Bassett Furniture has its growing pains. Recently teamed with HGTV was an clever union and ultimately stimulated the bottom line for all involved. Management choices has a bit to be desired.
Would not recomend
Sales/Designer (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAJune 18, 2018
Great team members, work culture, with non management members. Very poor management. Very long hours, no room for growth. High stressful job, cut throat environment with management.
Great place to work.
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJune 8, 2018
Answering multiple phone lines and taking care of any customer care issues that might occur after the customer has been delivered and managing inventory of the store merchandise.
Fair place to work too much rivalry within workplace on the sales floor
Design Consultant/Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2018
DID NOT LIKE WORKING AT BASSETT. ALOT OF PRESSURE AND VERY LITTLE WORK SUPPORT

Very heavy work policy and little room for your own sales style.

Reporting about each customer you had helped.
Meetings on clients you had helped and heavy followup
A disaster!
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 27, 2018
Store gets no business. There are more salespeople than customers. You do nothing all day. Impossible to make a living. The manager is useless. Totally unorganized and unapproachable. Stay away!!
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Everything about the place and company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bassett Furniture. Our community is ready to answer.