Bassett Healthcare Network Employee Reviews

Nothing fun
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Herkimer, NYFebruary 15, 2019
Working at Bassett originally was great, however over time you saw Bassett's true colors come out. Unable to speak your opinions, lack of caring from management and no room for movement even though you were advised there would be. Also, no raises.
Pros
work on my own
Cons
they don't care about employees
Terrible management, great colleagues
Family Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care (Current Employee) –  Norwich, NYJanuary 14, 2019
Co-workers are wonderful, management is untrustworthy and terrible. Always pushing to see more patients than is safe, asking for feedback but ignoring it.
Nursing management
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  NYDecember 26, 2018
I love my patients. That's why this job is so frustrating. In the clinics we have a nurse manager and supervisor and neither of them know what they're doing. Management leaves early and is always on their cell phone but theres not enough staff to help with the patient care. Bassett needs to wake up. There are so many of us looking for another job. I like the location of my clinic and its close to home, M-F, but it's getting to be ridiculous. Ask any nurse that works in the clinics and I'm sure you will hear the same thing.
Pros
M-F decent benefits
Cons
management
Fast-paced and working with patients was great... but...
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYDecember 22, 2018
I felt like I was back in middle school with all of the pettiness that the office had. Management was constantly talking about and laughing at employees while sitting in their offices in the back. They also had the "mean girls" approach - whenever someone needed to be talked to, all of management would be in the meeting. It was essentially 2 or 3 against 1. When asked if you could bring in a peer, management would refuse. They also abuse flex time. Whenever an employee needs to stay after for patient care, the employee has to "flex" their time so they don't go over 40 hours that week. That's not how flex time works. The health insurance is ridiculous - you pay for the plan, but can only use it within Bassett (which doesn't offer a lot of specialties). In other areas, that kind of health plan would be FREE for the employees, while more premium features would be at cost to employee. The rate of pay is ridiculously low as well. They claim they are "competitive with other health organizations," but Nathan Littauer easily pays $1.50 - $2.00 more per hour. Also, a similar job at a hospital in Herkimer County paid almost $4 more an hour.

If you want to be stressed ALL of the time, while making the LOWEST possible wage for your job description... all while still having to pay for basic life insurance and being hounded about your hours from management... do ahead and apply. Otherwise... RUN.
Pros
Working with patients
Cons
Management was petty, pay was lousy, benefits were lousy
Patient Business Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Herkimer, NYNovember 29, 2018
Have worked here 20 years and would have stayed if i hadn't moved. I learned a lot about insurances and helping others as much as i was able. Management worked well with everyone.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Sometimes breaks weren't available.
Good Place to Work
Managed Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYNovember 2, 2018
In my position I was busy and not able to socialize much. Everyone is a pleasure to work with. They are like family.
Insurance companies change their policies all the time, so it is difficult to keep up with all the changes. You can never assume that you know it all when it comes to insurance.
Pros
Works as a team and coworker's are more like family
Cons
Lack of advancement and pay raises
Good Place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sidney, NYSeptember 30, 2018
Overall Bassett has been an amazing company to work for. The only down side would be management and lack of. I enjoyed the daily challenges at work and the responsibility but didn't like how management only came around when someone was being disciplined.
Pros
pto and 401k
Cons
under staffed
Slowly people are starting to realize...
Communications Representative (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYSeptember 2, 2018
The typical day at work from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m includes going into work, attaching to headphones, and answering phone call after phone call for customers trying to reach their doctor's offices for various things. Most people are routed to the offices, only to be switched back to the call center because the phone calls, after waiting for 10:00 minutes in a queue, were not answered.
If it is an emergency, the call center representative can call themselves to the office, in the hopes of getting an administrative assistant to answer the customer's call (with the customer on hold yet again). Most times, the call center representative will not reach the office. They generally try three times (with the customer still on hold). If they don't get the person, they tell the customer they can take a message because due to high call volume, the office is "busy with patients at this time" or they can offer to put the customer through to the queue again.
Off hours and weekends bring a different set of rules. Call center reps then deal with people who were promised a call back from the office because they have tried on three or four different occasions to refill a prescription, get a form, talk to the doctor regarding a concern, etc, but have not been responded to; or because they have recently had surgery and have an urgent issue, or are ill/or child is ill and they wish to speak to an on call doctor or go to the convenient care, which is open on weekends from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. OR they can be dealing with the doctors who are calling in to get their
  more... messages or changing their status from cell to pager, etc. With the exception of about four to five doctors, the rest are nasty, rude or down right insulting to call center staff. OR the codes....call center representatives have to also process any and all emergency codes called in Bassett Healthcare Network. Code Blue, Code Red, Heart Alerts and Traumas, and those are only a few. Every single code has a series of procedures that must be followed in a CORRECT, orderly and FAST fashion, as usually it is calling in people to perform a life or death situation. This includes follow up to make sure all people have arrived, all areas of Bassett have been notified, etc.
Management pretends to sympathize with employees, but generally rely on team leaders and supervisors to deal with the call center population.
Call center representatives do their best to serve the population of patients who call regarding their healthcare, but generally the frustration of dealing with so many customers in an unchanging, below skeleton crew staff environment in the call center and in every office in Bassett they need to call, plus management apathetic/volatile/hostile depending on who you have to deal with, that the culture often becomes drone-like and nothing more than a way to make money.
The hardest part of the job is trying so hard to help the patients, and feeling like you are the only one who cares.
The most enjoyable part of the job are your coworkers, who all with individual personalities, make you learn the job and understand all the while how difficult the environment really is. They all should be commended!
Pros
Call center representatives
Cons
Dead end, unappreciated, low paying job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJuly 20, 2018
There is plenty room to for advancement. They are willing to teach you new jobs within the Housekeeping Dept. I love helping the patients and making sure their rooms were clean and they had everything they needed before I left their room.
not the best place
Patient Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJune 11, 2018
The job itself is not difficult. Dealing with everything else can become very annoying, and quickly. Jobs are always being postponed because communication is horrible between departments. Patients wait for hours to be moved because there are not enough employees because the pay is unappealing and no one wants to work there. the people who are hired work for a short while before becoming overwhelmed due to being short staffed.
Food Service making food for employees and customers
Food service worker (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJune 8, 2018
Friendly and helpful staff, management is not that great though. Customers are all friendly and polite. Food is decent. Everyone helps. not a bad plac
Pros
Friendly customers and Patients
Cons
Mangment was not the greatest when i worked there
Clinic setting is M-F no holidays or weekends.
Medical Office Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYMay 28, 2018
Monday through Friday 7:30 To 4pm. Fast pace and different departments to work in. I have had several manager in the past 3 years. A lot of staff turnover.
Pros
Paid vacations
Cons
Short breaks, no merrit system.
Bad
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NY 13326May 23, 2018
Management was horrible with no communication to all staff members. High turn over rate. Extremely stressful environment. Over time not desired by management.
Bassett Healthcare
Physician's Assistant in Obstetrics and Gynecology (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMay 15, 2018
Bassett Healthcare has multiple opportunities for physician assistants. Due to it's multiple medical specialties there is tremendous opportunity for growth.
I left after two months
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYApril 17, 2018
Poor management, and cold uninviting staff that seemed to care less about their jobs or coworkers. Most of them did not care to get to know the new employees because “we will all just leave within a year anyways”. Not s good start !

Luckily my husband and I found other jobs and relocated. Management was a mess while I worked there. They had four managers but two of them were brand new and had no clue how to run an OR. Also if you want your staff to be happy and to stay for the long term.... pay them more, as well as relay positive feedback when possible. I had a surgeon pay me a great compliment and when the surgeon asked me if the message had been passed along to me from the manager, the answer was no. Comparing BMC Cooperstown to the hospital where I work now is like comparing night and day. They need some serious change down in those operating rooms and that’s putting it nicely.
Pros
Employee discounts in the cafe, good health care coverage
Cons
Poor management, low pay
Laboratory Support Technician III CPT (ACA) (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMarch 22, 2018
I have been employed by Bassett Healthcare Netwok for nearly 7 years and I am proud to serve them. They focus on accommodating patients and providing the best patient care possible with each individual encounter.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bassett Medical Center is getting better!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYMarch 3, 2018
I have seen negative reviews here, but this is not my experience. I have worked here for five years. It is improving now. The new COO and CEO are interested in what is going on. They are "for the people" and walk the talk. This is so important. They round on our unit, they are interested. They offer to help.

My manager is definitely stepping up and more interested in us now that she knows that the culture is changing!
Pros
culture is improving
Cons
none right now
Great place to work with very competent employees
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cooperstown, NY 13326February 21, 2018
I needed to be closer to home, so I changed jobs to be closer to home.
I enjoyed working for the organization and learned a lot while I was employed there.
Overly aggressive management
EMERGENCY SERVICES REP (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYFebruary 8, 2018
Lower level management is more worried about getting paid by CMS than the patients, almost bulling patients/employees in to signing forms/retrieving form signatures. When reported told to blow it off. Often being force to work over time, 12+ hour shifts. lower level
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Management is aggressive, long hours
Great Place to Work!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Cooperstown, NYJanuary 18, 2018
I would highly recommend working for Bassett Medical Center. We have a great team across the entire network that is committed to serving our community.

I work in a department that is very fast-paced, highly customer service oriented and immensely detail oriented. We have a great team and wonderful leadership to support us through the stressful days of our positions. We have a great work/life balance and I believe our benefits are very attractive. We are centrally located for our population and have competitive wages and salaries.

Bassett Medical Center offers many committees to be a part of, we offer many discounts to our employees, we have numerous recognition events and have plenty of events to participate in throughout the year for everyone!

We offer many opportunities for our employees to grow within the organization and I have personally seen my friends advance within their departments into new positions to expand their professional careers.

I personally enjoy working alongside my team and my leaders to provide the service we do to our communities. Another very enjoyable part of my position is the ability to be a part of the many committees we offer to our employees. It give me a sense of giving back to our organization and employees and to feel that I am part of something great!
Pros
Great benefits, good work/life balance, good compensation
Cons
I do not have any cons about our organization