Bassett Healthcare Network

• Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Needs patience

There are some intimidating people and they have to be kind to others and less pressure during training. Increase salary for overworked and stressed employees.

Awful management, drama, and you are always blamed for everything wrong

Only positive of this place was the flexibility and benefits. Management at Norwich Bassett is awful, they talk about other employees in front of patients, they are rude, they make everything your fault if it’s wrong even if done by their directions. You absolutely have no say in anything unless you suck up a ton. You are constantly harassed by patients and nothing is done about it. Nursing blames all problems on front staff and never give credit where it is due. We are pushed to lie to patients when we mess up and make it seem like it was them who was wrong. Not nearly enough training is given, and they hire anyone willing to work

Pros

Flexible hours, good benefits

Cons

Too many to list

Get your experience, then leave ASAP!

I feel good helping the underserved and wish I could do more but my department is understaffed for years. Management knows the situation but the response is we're not generating enough money to justify it.

Pros

They'll hire you

Cons

Understaffed

It pays the bills...kind of

Mind you, I worked for Bassett's Call Center for nearly fifteen years. In that time, support from above and staff morale essentially disappeared. Staff were unhappy, underpaid, and overworked. It hasn't gotten any better in the year that I've been gone, as I keep in touch with many of my former employees. The job is EXTREMELY stressful. They do let you know this up front, but until you're on the front lines, processing an emergency code with outdated technology and providers who can't be bothered to remember to charge their cell phones, or answering calls from angry patients who don't have a problem with calling you every name in the book while you sit there and take it, you don't really GET how stressful it is. The company considers the Call Center to be entry level and pays them accordingly; however, it requires such a high level of attention to detail, an ability to learn quickly, and an ability to withstand extreme mental stress that Call Center Reps really should be making much more than they do. Call Center Reps essentially do the work of the medical secretaries in addition to emergency call handling, facilities requests, emergency calls, appointment scheduling, etc.

Pros

Plenty of hours, benefits (but if you have the Bassett plan, you can only see Bassett providers)

Cons

Extreme stress, low wages

Great history and legacy of providing exceptional health care in a rural setting

A beautiful campus with a well established reputation of providing exceptional healthcare and a source of employment to many generations of upstate New Yorkers. The company is undergoing much needed changes and will undoubtedly be in a much better financial, operational and clinical position in the near future.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Amazing Staff with a great sense of Team

Working at Bassett felt like I was working with a big family. All of the staff were supportive of each other’s goals and actively worked to help one other achieve such. It was so easy to start working and building strong relationships. I felt like I belonged as soon as I got hired.

Pros

Great Communication, Flexible shifts, Supportive

Cons

Busy

Okay

It's okay depending on. What clinic you work at. Some are busier than others. Some have more drama than others. Some are extremely stressful to work at.

Awful just don’t

Absolutely terrible no human should have to work at a place like this , NO communication what so ever, over worked , underpaid ,understaffed, management does not listen to concerns. Doctors not all but a lot of them treat the rest of the staff like garbage and will belittle you into the point of crying. Insurance is not even the best using their own facility!!! It cost $250 in a co-pay with their insurance to use their AWFUL 1 STAR ER. No parking on campus, have to take a shuttle from almost outside of time taking up time in the morning for people, no resources for the employee’s to release stress. Very high stress, I’m burnt out just like everyone else is. I can keep going forever the morale around here is at a all time low. Employees come in making the same as people who have been here for 5+ years and know the job like the back of their hand . Just save yourself the headache and work any where else

Pros

Made very good friends

Cons

EVERYTHING read the review

A good company for little pay

Bassett will always have jobs as hospitals will always be needed however the pay is very little and there is very little chances of advancement within bassett. You will work yourself to death and get little in return.

The finance department was a good place to work. I specifically worked in the patient accounts department. My supervisor was very family orientated.

Depressing and Stressful

Since the pandemic a lot of staff have left because this job is low paying for what you are required to do/know. No protocols are kept up to date, if you want to work from home you must provide all equipment and you are not provided extra money for these things to operate (internet, headphones, etc.) unless you are a doctor, doctors will abuse you on the phone if you’re an employee and sometimes even a patient, Management is dismissive of staffing issues and HR refuses to open more positions for hiring. It causes patient safety issues and multiple employees I know of are having mental health crisis due to the work load and lack of support.

Pros

Remote Work

Cons

Stressful, No Support, No Staff

Don’t care about employees

Have done away with over 500 positions in a year. No efficiency. Takes forever to get an answer to simple questions. Pay is very low. Management is disorganized.

Great people!

I thoroughly enjoy working for Bassett, love what I do and respect our Mission! The people make Bassett what it is. Great place to learn healthcare and grow.

Pros

Opportunity for growth

Cons

Short staffed at times

Management is horrible

People are promoted to managers with no knowledge or skills,if they dont like ypu they will find a way ,even if lies to get you fired. If you dont fit into the clicks or kiss but. Wont last long, no matter how good of a worker you are or how dependable or knowledgable. Would not recommend this place to anyone

Pros

Money is good for area

Understaffed

There are not enough nursing staff to care for the patients leading to safety concerns. There are enough providers though and the support from the main hospital is good for transfers needing higher level of care

Probably the worst company i have ever worked for

Bassett culture is all about drama, gossip and chaos. Please join if you would like anxiety, ptsd and a complex about yourself. But seriously work anywhere but here.

Fine place to work

My time at Bassett was fine. It can be very monotonous and boring but the managers are great and everybody wants you to succeed and learn. I only left because of a major life change. I think it’s a great job for the area.

Moving from a place that used to be about the patient to one that is much more corporate

Bassett used to be the best in NY State. Since it's become a corporate network it has become much more about the bottom-line. The new CEO and his new team are very good at spinning a positive view of their vision, but the reality is that quality, culture and finances are suffering more each day. The new board, most of whom don't even live in the area, are focused on their own egos. They continue to put the staff dedicated to patient care in difficult positions regularly, and the management is becoming more and more inexperienced.

Pros

Physicians are high quality and organized for attention to patient care, Many staff have long-standing tenure and care deeply about the care of their neighbors.

Cons

Old buildings, Poor facilities that are outdated, No plan for upgrades.

Was great

I absolutely loved working where I work and then there was management turn over x3. No one cares about your opinion and there is no room for advancement (that is what I was told by management). They are unorganized and poorly managed. They play favorites and staff is also allowed to be disrespectful to each other and there are never any consequences.I am glad that I don't have their insurance because it is awful: copays are expensive, everything besides Bassett is out of network. If we have to use their facilities, then we should not be charged SO much to go there.

Pros

I made lasting friendships

Cons

read the review

fortunate to work with the team I do

Working in the IT department I have had the advantage of supportive leadership, the ability to be involved in many projects and had the ability to learn things beyond just my scope of work. I see that this is not the case in all departments.

Pros

leadership, opportunity, work-life balance

Cons

pay, lack of transparency

Fun coworkers

Don't waste your time management us a joke favoritism goes on all the time your made to do the work of 10 people! On plus side co workers are fun and don't bother complaining nothing gets done about anything!

Pros

Fun co workers

Cons

Management!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bassett Healthcare Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight