Bates College Employee Reviews

Bates is a good place to work
Recieving Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEAugust 12, 2019
Good people but, the pay cold be better there is no reward for hard work only get more work The atmosphere is nice and There is always someone that needs you to do there work for them
good atmosphere
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJuly 29, 2019
not well compensated. management was great, great place to work- just not enough money for the work put in. lots of hidden benefits, gym, pool etc.......
Working at the grill can fluctuate from fast to slow pace and gives students great opportunity to be exposed to various work environments.
Culinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEApril 17, 2019
As a student worker I've been able to work in an environment that teaches me the importance of observing my surroundings and communicating with my co-workers.
Pros
Hours and schedules are flexible to students daily routine.
Cons
Students can't attend to their studies while on the job.s
Backwater with great perks.
Database Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJanuary 25, 2019
You will be constantly frustrated by the slow pace of work, and the ancient tools used in this workplace. The legacies of past decisions hold them back from progressing in new and innovative ways. Management doesn't have your back.
Pros
Cheap (but low quality) meals, Nice Campus, Lots of Vacation Time.
Cons
The pace of work is slow and boring, don't expect to work with any technology that shouldn't have been retired years ago.
Dismal
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MENovember 17, 2018
Don't work here. The college has made it clear to every employee that the students irrational and disrespectful behavior is what matters. Bates prides itself on allowing its students to act in whatever manner they choose. Racism, Sexism, Cultural Appropriation, and Race Baiting are usually present in every single day of work.

The staff and faculty usually work harder on covering their tracks on how to stay out of the courts or the media more than actually providing a safe and respectful work environment.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Work enviorment, Staff, Students
Politically ridged and hostile
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lewiston maineOctober 26, 2018
Be prepared to hold the political views of the majority at Bates college or not be working there very long. When dealing with students you will always be under a microscope searching for offense and politically incorrect views. If students complain upper management will do little to defend you or others making working here very uncertain if you do not tow the political line. Be ready to have far left political theory forced on you, especially concerning race and sexual topics. The current political climate has made Bates a radical and hostile environment where students are craving to assert power over anybody they feel gets in the way of them.
Pros
Benefits are good, overtime opportunity
Cons
Negative culture, stressful, political
Great place
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MESeptember 15, 2018
Honestly work there yourself and be amazed! I had a great time cleaning for the college they are very hands on with teaching you new skills and knowledge to bring outside the workplace!
Great teamwork, great leadership, great benefits
Cash Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MESeptember 5, 2018
Great place to work, management is great.
Fast paced work, but many opportunities to move up in the company and your hard work pays off.
You get to work with the kids and get to know them and be a big part of their time at Bates College.
Pros
Free lunch, Great benefits, Great people.
Cons
Some parts of the year is extremely busy.
Coaching Staff Great, School didn't care about young coaches.
Special Teams Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEAugust 16, 2018
I enjoyed working with the other coaches that I was there with but the college did not take care of the younger coaches. We often put far more time into the program in terms of pure hours and the college did not recognize that in anyway. I love coaching football, but after getting promoted twice and receiving a huge increase in responsibility and time needed to perform my duties to the level the players deserved, I received no raise. The college refuses to pay its younger coaches any amount of livable wages. Instead they try and basically buy you off with a cheap living arrangement with often 4-5 other roommates and allowing you to eat in the dinning hall. The do not believe that you are a "full time" employee despite working hours that at any normal job would be considered large amounts of overtime, and therefore refuse to give benefits or an actual salary and call you "Part Time" employee.

My rankings of management and job culture is purely due to my Head Coach being amazing and the other football coaches as well.
Pros
The student-athletes are amazing to work with!
Cons
No benefits, cheap housing the expect you to live in, certain faculty members treat you horrible because you are part of athletics. Watch out, the school will always back them no matter what!!
Great Place to Work/Study
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEAugust 2, 2018
Bates College provides a great collaborative and academic environment. My position was volunteer and student-run, and all the staff who helped facilitate were professional
One of the best places I've ever worked
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJuly 17, 2018
If you like a fast paced environment with room to advance, and learn Bates College is a great place to work. They have an understanding management team who are always willing to work with you. They also are willing to work and get dirty with the staff. Great benefits program, One of the best dining programs in all of the United States.
Pros
Great team, Fast Paced, Events
Cons
Can be long hours
Excellent institution of higher learning
Office Asst in Theater, Dance, and Rhetoric Dept (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJuly 9, 2018
Bates is a wonderful school. I am so lucky to have been able to spend four years there, expanding my academic horizons and achieving immense personal growth.
Great place to work and improve career
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJuly 3, 2018
Great place to do research over the summer. Organized panels and presentations are done and the hours are usually flexible. Learn a lot about analyzing data, presenting work, discussing ideas. Professors often use students' work and will have students as coauthors on publications.
Pros
Some free lunches, panels, conferences
Cons
Lonely on campus
great atmosphere
On call Sanitation worker (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJune 6, 2018
great place to work, amazing people. great students. its fast pace. you get trained until you think or know your good enough to do a job or task that you are asked. they are understanding and very kind
A productive working environment which exposed me to a greater understanding of computers and troubleshooting problems
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEApril 21, 2018
Overall, I enjoyed my time at the Bates College Help-Desk. I am most grateful for learning how to be more effective using google and troubleshooting problems. In addition to these skills, I found the management team to be extremely helpful and it was a pleasure working with them. The hardest part of the position was the sometimes fast-paced nature of the position and not having enough personnel during a shift to help.
Seasonal Painter (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEFebruary 10, 2018
I enjoyed working at bates. I had a great team I worked with and felt that there was a lot of support. The job was painting the dorms and I learned a lot in the summers I worked there.
very open to the student's and fast pace place to work at
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEDecember 29, 2017
fun exciting great people to meet from all walks of life it's easy to feel the warmth of family because everyone gives a hundred percent to showing you that they care for your planed dish for the day
Pros
good people
Cons
fast pace/you get paid every two weeks
a typical student job
Career Development Center, Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEDecember 13, 2017
Working at the career development office at Bates College was one of the most generous environments I´ve been a part of. I was helped so much by the staff in finding work after college. I consider them all my friends.
Pros
relaxed environment
Fantastic College
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MENovember 2, 2017
I went to Bates College for my undergraduate study. It is an amazing school! It unleashes critical thinkers and amazing minds this world could ever ask.
Fast pace place to work
Santation (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEOctober 15, 2017
I would go in and get started on dishes. Their are a lot of dishes to clean in a college. Someone puts dishes away, a person loads the machine, and someone unloads it. I learned that we need teamwork to get thing done in the dishroom. The boss was ok. The people were nice, but sometimes mean. Hardest part of the job was doing all the work myself and no one helping out.

I did enjoy the people i worked with and also the free meals and coffee.
Pros
free meals
Cons
breaks were short