Battelle Employee Reviews

The future is bright at this interesting and important non-profit
Director (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2019
You learn something new on the job almost every day at Battelle. The people are some of the smartest in the world, the work is exciting and important and the mission is to develop new technologies to make the world a better and safer place. It really is a very special place to work. The non-profit aspect allows Battelle to invest in its people and their ideas, which is demonstrated in their history of incredible scientific breakthroughs and R&D awards. If you want to do important scientific research that has real-world benefit, Battelle is your place.
Pros
Higher than average salary
Interesting place to work
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 8, 2019
Very intelligent work force with many staff having advance degrees. Interesting work, especially if you like or excel in math, science, research and development, and technology commercialization.
Loved this job!
Technician Specialist (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJanuary 20, 2019
This was one of my favorite places to work! I loved the position I held because our team was able to travel a lot! I wish I never had to leave it...I only left because I was starting a family and wasn't able to travel extensively any longer.
Enjoyed the work envioment and employees
Senior Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2019
Average day was very high pace and challenging. Each project was under tight time requirements with time lines and deliverables driven by government agencies.
Challenging work environment, goal always moving
Research Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2019
Very few meetings with my supervisor. Goals were never clear. Little support for developing business and income. We did work on some difficult problems and often supplied results that other organizations could not deliver.
Pros
Working for an organization that supported STEM education
Cons
Organized to support government contracts only.
teamlead
GC Operator and Back-up Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Anniston Army Depot, ALJanuary 14, 2019
WE worked shift work. Each team was like a family . we all helped out..

Da shift worked with us on days and it was always awkward because we had our own flow
Professional, supportive and team orientated
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 18, 2018
Battelle is a great place to work whether just starting a career or occupying a more senior position. Battelle teams are diverse, committed and and supportive. You will have the ability to contribute as well as lead but the focus will always be on solving the clients problem.
Pros
Commuter reimbursement
A decent workplace
Production Services SharePoint Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 15, 2018
Just like any workplace, there are pros and cons. Each person must make their own decisions about whether they want to be there. Parking is free and coffee was very low-cost.
Good research organization!
Geoscience Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 25, 2018
Enjoyed my time with Battle in Columbus , Ohio. Good work environment but little possibility for upward mobility. They live on government contracts so there is alway feast/feminine climate.
Great company to work for.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 4, 2018
Learning opportunities are available
Good benefits
Lot of collaboration
Liked the work ethics and culture.
Battelle is a great company to work for
Fun place
Pros
diversity, work ethics, good benefits
Cons
n/a
Good place
Manufacturing Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 17, 2018
nice place to work. the main campus is huge and has a lot of amenities. there is a gym with a basketball court and dry cleaning in the basement. nice cafeteria
Good starter call center job
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 6, 2018
they had programs the helped you break the ice of being able to do outbound calls. I did outbound calls to randomly selected persons to qualigy them for health screenings. I read off of a screen, worked with headsets, and double screens.
Pros
Making your schedules
Cons
choppy work loads
Great People and Interesting Work
PRINCIPAL RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  Pueblo Chemical Depot, COJune 29, 2018
Great place to work, interesting job - very professional people - surprisingly very little office politics. No connection with headquarters or higher ups, which is ok
Pros
Pay, people, work content
Cons
Very remote and long hours
Can't beat the pay!
Security Police Officer II (Former Employee) –  Scoville, IDJune 25, 2018
Excellent job with benefits. I worked with some great people and they are what made the job worthwhile on top of great pay. I enjoyed the people the most. The hardest part is being able to stare at a wall or people work for hours upon hours while you watch.
Fantastic company. Didn't know how good I had it.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 16, 2018
I worked with Battelle for over 15 years. Due to the work moving to another state and family responsibilities/desires I was unable to move with the position.

LOVED the benefits, my management, the projects, the work, the ability to make a difference and contribute in a significant way to the satisfaction of our customers.
Pros
Benefits, work culture, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Individual managers. Dependence upon Military contracts
Smart employees with out-of-touch management
Scientist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 4, 2018
Battelle has a great mission of pursuing solutions to difficult scientific problems and being charitable to STEM education, however, the means to achieve the two (the people who do the work) were constantly taken advantage of by the management. In my time at Battelle, there were multiple reorganizations and mass layoffs (the last coming in March 2018), and a decrease in benefits. The reorgs and mass layoffs were done to supposedly cut middle management and overhead costs, but that rarely worked since those managers cut were replaced by either directly hiring new managers or promoting those within the company. This led to a continued problem with morale, which, when I left was the lowest of any company I had ever seen. Scientists there were in constant concern of being laid off (they happened monthly) if their time worked was less than 100% or fell out of managements favor, were pressured to work at home (after putting in a full day's work), and provided little opportunity for training outside of online courses from Battelle that had to be completed on their own time. The benefits (health care, time off, etc) were whittled away until there was no benefit to them except that they were available. Management seems to be clueless when it comes to securing future work. The company does little to promote itself and expects the client base to accept their larger fees than industry average just because it's Battelle. There was no balance to work-life balance. During the summer, 60-70 hour weeks were common because of poor program management throughout the year, but those performing the  more... work received little recognition or compensation. Every lay off left more work to be done by the already overworked staff since new hires either did not occur, or were ineffective since it took time to train. On a more positive note, the people performing the work were very gifted and great to be around. They were able to come up with solutions to some very challenging projects.  less
Pros
Intelligent, friendly people, interesting work
Cons
Management, no training opportunities, minimal career advancement
Not the best
Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHJune 3, 2018
Not only has Battelle terminated 10% of its workforce, mnagement has moved to span control. Employees are judged their mistakes; not achievements. This makes it an extremely uncomfortable place to be employed. No appreciation. All fear.
Cons
It was a good place to work
Animal Husbandry Technician (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHMay 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Battelle. It was a good balance of busy and downtime. I would have continued working there, but the department I was in went through a merger and I got cut in layoffs. But ultimately, no hard feelings because I feel it was a good stepping stone for me in getting industry experience.
Job has no security
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHMay 23, 2018
I greatly enjoyed the experiences and skills I was able to learn alongside a wonderful team. The majority of employees are dedicated, hardworking, and extremely beneficial to day-to-day duties. However, management is often misguided and unable to make the best decisions due to corporate interference and ignorance. Unfortunately, this company has the reputation of overworking and under staffing; just recently nearly 300 people were laid off while the workload on those who remained nearly doubled. In short, a team will support any coworker hired, to the best of their ability, but any new hire must prepare to be discarded when the CEO needs a better annual report.
I learned a lot about the Department of Energy Labs while working at Battelle.
Director, Government Relations (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2018
Battelle was a good place to work. But had no Political Action Committee (PAC), which prevented a challenge. I learned a lot about the Department of Energy Labs while working at Battelle. But the Battelle managed Lab would compete with each other, which presented challenges.
Pros
I had a lot of autonomy at Battele.
Cons
Infighting among the Battelle managed labs, no PAC, and no stock options.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Battelle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight