Battelle Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great People and Interesting Work
PRINCIPAL RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  Pueblo Chemical Depot, COJune 29, 2018
Great place to work, interesting job - very professional people - surprisingly very little office politics. No connection with headquarters or higher ups, which is ok
Pros
Pay, people, work content
Cons
Very remote and long hours
Fantastic company. Didn't know how good I had it.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 16, 2018
I worked with Battelle for over 15 years. Due to the work moving to another state and family responsibilities/desires I was unable to move with the position.

LOVED the benefits, my management, the projects, the work, the ability to make a difference and contribute in a significant way to the satisfaction of our customers.
Pros
Benefits, work culture, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Individual managers. Dependence upon Military contracts
Smart employees with out-of-touch management
Scientist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 4, 2018
Battelle has a great mission of pursuing solutions to difficult scientific problems and being charitable to STEM education, however, the means to achieve the two (the people who do the work) were constantly taken advantage of by the management. In my time at Battelle, there were multiple reorganizations and mass layoffs (the last coming in March 2018), and a decrease in benefits. The reorgs and mass layoffs were done to supposedly cut middle management and overhead costs, but that rarely worked since those managers cut were replaced by either directly hiring new managers or promoting those within the company. This led to a continued problem with morale, which, when I left was the lowest of any company I had ever seen. Scientists there were in constant concern of being laid off (they happened monthly) if their time worked was less than 100% or fell out of managements favor, were pressured to work at home (after putting in a full day's work), and provided little opportunity for training outside of online courses from Battelle that had to be completed on their own time. The benefits (health care, time off, etc) were whittled away until there was no benefit to them except that they were available. Management seems to be clueless when it comes to securing future work. The company does little to promote itself and expects the client base to accept their larger fees than industry average just because it's Battelle. There was no balance to work-life balance. During the summer, 60-70 hour weeks were common because of poor program management throughout the year, but those performing the  more... work received little recognition or compensation. Every lay off left more work to be done by the already overworked staff since new hires either did not occur, or were ineffective since it took time to train. On a more positive note, the people performing the work were very gifted and great to be around. They were able to come up with solutions to some very challenging projects.  less
Pros
Intelligent, friendly people, interesting work
Cons
Management, no training opportunities, minimal career advancement
Not the best
Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHJune 3, 2018
Not only has Battelle terminated 10% of its workforce, mnagement has moved to span control. Employees are judged their mistakes; not achievements. This makes it an extremely uncomfortable place to be employed. No appreciation. All fear.
Cons
It was a good place to work
Animal Husbandry Technician (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHMay 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Battelle. It was a good balance of busy and downtime. I would have continued working there, but the department I was in went through a merger and I got cut in layoffs. But ultimately, no hard feelings because I feel it was a good stepping stone for me in getting industry experience.
Job has no security
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHMay 23, 2018
I greatly enjoyed the experiences and skills I was able to learn alongside a wonderful team. The majority of employees are dedicated, hardworking, and extremely beneficial to day-to-day duties. However, management is often misguided and unable to make the best decisions due to corporate interference and ignorance. Unfortunately, this company has the reputation of overworking and under staffing; just recently nearly 300 people were laid off while the workload on those who remained nearly doubled. In short, a team will support any coworker hired, to the best of their ability, but any new hire must prepare to be discarded when the CEO needs a better annual report.
I learned a lot about the Department of Energy Labs while working at Battelle.
Director, Government Relations (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2018
Battelle was a good place to work. But had no Political Action Committee (PAC), which prevented a challenge. I learned a lot about the Department of Energy Labs while working at Battelle. But the Battelle managed Lab would compete with each other, which presented challenges.
Pros
I had a lot of autonomy at Battele.
Cons
Infighting among the Battelle managed labs, no PAC, and no stock options.
Fun and exciting place to work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 16, 2018
I love my job at Battelle. I recently moved and the commute is quite challenging. If I could get a job closer to home, it would not only save me money, but would reduce the stress of the long commute everyday.
Pros
Upbeat atmosphere, fun people, challenging work
Cons
Constant changes, job uncertainty
Great peers; horrible executives; a great place to be from
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2018
Me:
Started as a research intern; left as a research scientist. Total tenure: 12+ years.

Pros:
Worked alongside some great people, and learned a lot - both being taught directly or being allowed/encouraged to solve problems on my own.

Compensation was adequate, though the benefits became incrementally worse during my time there.

Cons:
For lower-level technical staff, job security is highly dependent on maximizing time charged to external clients. This is problematic when there is not enough client work to fill everyone's time. The culture changes from 'everyone working together to achieve organizational goals' to 'every man for himself.'

For higher-level technical staff, job security is dependent on producing business volume. Unfortunately Battelle does not provide meaningful training on how to do that. The few classes available are fluff and buzzwords. The only way to learn is find a competent mentor and hope they're willing to teach you. There's no compensation for time spent mentoring, and sharing their skills and client connections could hurt their own job security.
working here i had a great working enviroment and had freedom to learn new things
Monitoring Technician III (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMay 1, 2018
I was busy from start to finish and learned a lot about how to build a air monitoring unit by myself, my first boss was an amazing leader always was the first one to come out and help if needed I learned a lot from him and enjoyed everything he taught me
Great work and nice people in a less than stellar organization
Principal Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 27, 2018
Battelle's best attribute is its people, but seems to have forgotten that fact. You're on your own to find work. Limited tech development or career advancement opps.
Pros
great researchers, the chance to work with some extremely sharp people
Cons
Constant state of reorg, limited marketing assistance to obtain work, limited or no tech development opportunities
Technician
Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 25, 2018
Expectations sometimes unrealistic, disconnect with management, unclear directives prior to change, required weekends and holidays, overtime expectations sometimes unrealistic, morale shifts often.

Fast paced environmentoften, opportunity for certifications, opportunity for growing skills and specialties, great benefits, good PTO used for vacation and sick days.
Great people, fun projects, confusing management
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 17, 2018
Not a stable work environment. Continuous cycle of layoffs. Continuous re-organization and management personnel, styles, and beliefs, plans and direction. What was true one day is not the next and you are penalized for it (time on project).
Pros
people, culture, projects, technology, compensation
Cons
constant cycle of lay offs, management re organizations, government systems make it difficult to be competitive
Overall a great place to work and start your career
SENIOR RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 16, 2018
Lots of change and low salaries due to being not for profit. Employee recognition is almost slim to none. No real advancement opportunities, and there is a lot of favoritism. It is a great learning environment and a great place to start your career. However, it is not a place to make your forever home.
Pros
great food, flex time, wonderful mission, overall good people
Cons
low pay, lots of hours, stressful, no advancement
Too much chaos
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 15, 2018
Within the last 5 years this company has had 2 major Reduction In Force (RIFs). Last one was over 250 people in one day!! So basically enter at your own risk!!
Pros
Pay is commeserate
Cons
Company is unsafe currently for employees
Battelle, really, screwed over their employees
operations (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 13, 2018
for 6-9 months, they BATTELLE (Neon) said they were going to give 45 days pay for people that finished the project and were getting laid off.'at the VERY LAST SECOND, they said ... oh, wait, you are going to have to work those 45 days (Classic bait & switch -min my opinion).

I would NEVER trust anything else they would ever say!

Who would want to work at a Company that treated their employees like this???
Pros
good pay ...laid back
Cons
Battelle is very corporate ... & I would bever trust ANYTHING they said, again
Hands off most of the time
Employee (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 10, 2018
Battelle is a great company to work for and can be hands-off most of the time. Most managerial staff cares about their employees and attempts to provide advancement opportunities.
Used to be a great place
Resesarch Scientist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 7, 2018
Used to be a great place to work, but the past 10 years has been a struggle. There is new senior management that will hopefully make some good changes in the culture.
Battelle is innovation
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  AberdeenApril 3, 2018
I worked for Battelle for 11 years, and would never have left if the contract I was working on had not ended. They have a positive culture, and are very upbeat about life and work balance.
Pros
Cons
Contracts
Mass layoff
Sr. Admin. Asst, Chief Audit Exec. & VP/Controller (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 2, 2018
They have a history of laying off people with many years of service and those with pensions. Management is poor and does not care about the people. Not the way it used to be.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Battelle. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss