Battelle
66Average
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Battelle Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA12 reviews
Overall Battelle is a good company to work for and provides for dynamic, cutting edge and interesting work. However, expensive rate structures and stove piped processes bog down the company's ability to pivot on changing market conditions thus making it difficult for Battelle to compete for work in some markets.
Pros
Interesting work, good benefits, stable company
Cons
Constant reorganization, lack of strategic direction, stove piped and unpublicized business operations processes.
I was fortunate that I worked from home. But that's means I can't accurately assess what the company was really like.

The hoop jumping is mind-numbing. And you have to do it for everything... reimbursements, travel, annual reviews. Everything was a 10-step process and perfection was expected.

Benefits were decent.
Benefits
Cons
Corporate overlords
Worked on site within the HQ Department of the Army and Office of the Secretary of Defense. Received good first line supervision and professional development as a project manager.
Pros
Extensive contract structure within the DoD cleared clients
Cons
Rather bureacratic and slow in its internal Human Resource processes.
Worked client site contract, where communication and support between client site employees and organization site co-workers was very well developed.

Minor issues within project team members attitude towards one another (passive aggressive), which provided very little resolution. Otherwise major conflicts within the team were dealt very quickly.
Pros
Well developed team environment
Cons
My position did not have any possible promotion
I worked at Battelle for 5 years. I worked for a great RDML. I enjoyed working there and doing what I did. I was appreciated for my support and work. I was allowed to continue with my volunteer work and also allowed to involve the organization. I felt job security and the location was wonderful. I was able to take subway, bus or drive my car. The hours were flexible. There really are family oriented and have great holiday parties. The people are friendly and helpful. There is also a possibility for advancement. They will allow you to take classes and improve yourself and education while working.
Pros
Flexibilty and friendly
Cons
There are no Cons
Very diverse work environment, offers broad experience and training, excellent mentoring
Pros
Great co-workers, superb mentoring, variety
Cons
Tactical Systems could use some work
Overall great place to work. A typical day at Battelle was very interesting from scheduling meeting/conferences answering phones, managing the office calendar and meeting various people.
This is not information I care to provide. Certain amount of work flexibility when needed.
Pros
Limited communication with management
Cons
no assurances of job security
Very fast pace and client base. Expert delivery.

Great management.
Working at Battelle as a strategic analyst was great. The customers trust you and treat you and your work and opinion with respect and it was probably the highest concentration of really smart people I've ever worked with.

Management was mixed, some great managers, some terrible. But not a bad group to work for overall.

Corporate culture though is lethargic with the business instincts of a soon-to-be extinct Panda. Almost no desire to develop nascent opportunities into new business, and one of the least effective sales organizations I've encountered. Program Managers did nearly all of the business capture and keep the lights on.

The main business strategy was to pretty much wait for the competitors to fail, then move in.
Pros
intense concentration of smart co-workers
Cons
lethargic business practices.
employees that are nice to work around. very good communication skills
Excellent company with benefits including tuition reimbursement and matching 401K (at least when I was there).
Pros
excellent benefits