Bay Area Community Resources Employee Reviews

Students taught me how to work
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 11, 2018
Take advantage of people, they say they care about your well being and they get upset when you call in sick. Being in this type of work place has triggered my anxiety, I constantly get sick, you get paid poorly for your job and you have to be a teacher, counselor, coach, dance instructor, family advocate and the list goes on... you’re expected to be all those things and get very little coaching and very little support... They don’t see your potential... you will not advance at this job
Pros
Kids are great
Amazing opportunities with Youth
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CASeptember 6, 2018
A typical day working was very easy, fun, and professional. I worked on my high school campus in the Library. While also being overlooked by my Shift Lead. Keep track of meals, kids, and tutoring.
Pros
free lunches, slow paced, meeting new people
Fun Work Place
Recreational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAJuly 13, 2018
I absolutely love this job! Never a dull moment with the students. I learned to work with kids any age from kindergarten to 5th grade! My manager was awesome! Very friendly and very understanding of any situation. She was someone I could count on if I needed assistance with certain situations with the kids. Fun and bright work place. The hardest part about this job was honestly building an amazing bond with your students and watching them grow and go on to middle school. it was a hard good bye at the end of the year. the best part of this job was working with the kids and knowing you can make an impact on these kids lives and help them make great decisions and being someone they can look up to.
Pros
doing fun activities with kids
Cons
short hours and not enough pay for the amount of responsibilities we have
Poor management
After School Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMay 20, 2018
There was no training on this job, but the manager was unrealistically demanding. A few of the children were very disruptive, and made it a stressful learning environment for the rest of the children.
Pros
job close to home
Cons
no health care
very careless
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMay 8, 2018
i had full class of 23 and my class was good i just had so many task with no help even when i asked never was able to go to the bathroom it was also time my kids didn't get lunch do to the lack of communication they have
Pros
i had good students and supportive parents
Cons
lack of team work
Work place was rewarding
Teacher/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAApril 29, 2018
A typical day at work was helping children to exceed in life. i learned that I could handle 22 children from different cultures and from divert backgrounds.The hardest part of my job is not having my own key to the office, where all my materials were kept. The most enjoyable part of my job was building relationships with the children I supervised.
Pros
I had my own group of children.
Cons
Not being with my group until the end.
Working with parents and teachers
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 17, 2018
Helping teachers and parents work together for the best of the students and the schools. The students really needed the parents and their teachers to work together.
Never gets boring! Weekends off.
After School Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2018
The workplace culture is fun and collaborative. Good hours and you do not work weekends. Great practice for soon-to-be teachers. A place for learning and teaching.
Stressful headache but promising children
After School Instructor (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAFebruary 21, 2018
It was a lot of work for the amount paid. Co workers were great, coordinators were alright, but overall they want you to do more than your job description. I think i spent more money than I made.
fun learning work space
GROUP LEADER OVER 35 OR MORE KIDS (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAFebruary 11, 2018
I work with kids kindergarten so fun is all we have with a lot of learning. I really enjoy kids so when I was offered this job I was more then happy to take it.
Great job experience
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2018
If you love youth work this is the job for you! I learned so much at this job and enjoy going to work almost every day. There is a ton of opportunity for growth in this program
Growth & Support
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2018
There is definitely a sense of community and support at BACR. There are many opportunities available for advancement and the leadership team ALWAYS make it their priority to inspire and encourage staff to exercise their growth mindset. If I were to describe how I feel about this organization in two words: it would be Growth & Support. I feel inspired to be the best version of myself. The wellness initiative is amazing and it really does motivate me to self-care and encourage my staff to as well. I appreciate the systematic approach to the wellness program! All around good vibes here! I think the hardest part of the job is finding a balance between work and personal life, but I'm getting there!
Pros
free lunches, leadership opportunities
Cons
short breaks
Great Work Culture, Poor Management and Leadership
Regional Supervisor and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAFebruary 5, 2018
BACR attracts people with a heart of gold given that we serve youth and communities that need support. Unfortunately, those who are in leadership positions have become stale and uninspired. It is difficult to try new things or to implement forward thinking innovations because those higher up in the hierarchy are entrenched in the old ways.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
Uninspired leadership
Great place to follow your passion
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 30, 2018
If you like to work in a place where you can make a difference, BACR is the place. You won't get an excellent salary, but which nonprofit does it anyway? For me, it is more important to be working in an organization where you are valued and supported. Where your wellness is taken seriously and where everyone is friendly.

If you love working with children, BACR offers great opportunities for entry level staff to have rewarding first job experiences and in many cases grow professionally within the agency.
Pros
Flexible hours, supportive team, collaboration across departments
Cons
Federal and State grants limiting staff monetary compensation
Review
School Based Marriage Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAJanuary 4, 2018
Good company to get your intern hours. Very low pay, but flexible schedule. Had ability to work at same school 2 years in a row. Grateful for the experience and opportunity.
Fun environment
After School Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CASeptember 15, 2017
I've learned how to be patient with children's. The workplace culture was so energize, it was a great feeling, working there I wouldn't call it work because I love the job, my coworkers, my manager, it was a stressful job but it was fun because we would play with the kids and it made the kids happy.
overall
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMay 21, 2017
Bay Area Community Resources is a great to get you started out. They don't pay enough to actually survive off and be able to pay all your bills. The environment is average but you will find yourself being asked to do so much for little compensation. With the amount of work you are asked to do, you would think you are an actual teacher. It's good for your resume and I would recommend it for a short part time job.
I dont want to keep writing reviews
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAApril 6, 2017
I am not interested in writing reviews for other companies when I am job hunting for a better opportunity and it is unfair for you to hold my opportunity hostage for evaluations that will not benefit me
Great
After School Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 15, 2017
It was a pleasure working here. It is so rewarding I always loved coming to work no matter the days. All of my coworkers were friendly and supportive as well as open minded.
productive work place
library next door
open fax
on-sight job recruitment
resume building classes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bay Area Community Resources. Our community is ready to answer.