Bay Area Rapid Transit Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Excellent place to work... IF you are in the right place
Electronics Technician/Mainline Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 23, 2018
It was good work. It was challenging. Management was always trying to mess with us because we were union. Some of them had the brains of a turnip. They showed a lot of favoritism. We had fun messing with them in subtle ways.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Was an ok place to work
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Working for BART can be very stressful. Especially if you want to work. It’s frustrating to work with the employees that just hide and do everything possible to get out of work. Then go sleep on the job and the Union protects them. Very frustrating. But if you want to get a guaranteed pay check to do hardly anything then this place is for you.
Pros
Free train rides for family
Cons
Working with lazy bad attitude people
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 9, 2018
I worked there for over 10 years, there was the good, along with the bad. The fun part was the customers for the most part. Management has taken a turn due to new business procedures. But the job still maintained a fun aspect for it, I fully expected to retire from BART but a relocation made that dream not come true
I enjoyed working for bart
system service worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for bart for 23years got along with most co-workersi retired in 2012 like I said it can be challenging most times patrons would be not so nicemost supervisor you could get along but of course there were a few that you could not I would try to stay away from them I would work for them again the salary is great and also your benefits what more could you ask for in a good paying job and also we had a lot of fun times interacting with co-workers and patrons yes we were very productive in keeping the stations clean there was no room for games the hardest part of the job was keeping the bathrooms clean the most enjoyable part of the job was looking at what you accomplished typical day at work was keeping your station clean for the patrons management would let you know if things were not right the work culture was very diverseI have answered all questions
Pros
our supervisor would treat us to lunch at safety meeting
Cons
patrons would be very messy in the stations
Public entity
Employee Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 25, 2017
Not particularly a good place to work. It is a public agency which has consistently over the years demonstrate inefficiency in how it discharges its responsilities.
Very bad management.
Principal Administrative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 27, 2017
It is a very old boy's network and militaristic environment. Overall management is not good. Benefits and wages are good but very poor management. Transportation is very high on promoting from the rank and file because ATU is a very strong union.
Pros
benefits and salary
Cons
poor management
Interesting to see a BART station being built
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 21, 2017
While working with contractors and project managers had its challenges. A BART station is a huge undertaking and forms had to be perfect. It was interesting to see a venture like this come into fruition from bare earth to a huge station including tracks to the next station.
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Ongoing future projects. Good people to work for.
Cons
The office was almost 2 hours away.
Fun place to work
Train Operator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 18, 2017
great place to work good co workers great salary and flexable shifts everything is by seniority and turn over is low. you need to be able to climb into a train and use a radio for comunication
Excellent place to work.
Asst. Superintendent (Current Employee) –  S.F. and all bay areas.July 11, 2017
Excellent place to work. Great peoples all around. Good work rules to follow. Great to see trains running on time. Good challenge to repair old trains
Former Employee
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMay 10, 2017
Not impossible to get Fired but it does happen.
Terrible management. Bunch of crooks & thieves
Especially the GM who the Directors dont have the guts to Fire
Unions are crooked and just steal your money.
Unions Promote employees to do the Minimum and say nothing about all the safety issues
Pros
Show up on time clock in: Do Bare Minimum:Clock out; go home Keep job long Time
Cons
Watchout for Worthless Untrustable Employees who set other employees.
Productie and great place to work
Administrative Analyst (Office of Civil Rights) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94612May 5, 2017
BART Is an awesome company to work for, very professional and the management is great. This is company that i would highly recommend to anyone seeking employement. Working in Civil Rights was a great learning experience.
Pros
Awesome company to work for
Cons
No cons
Bay Area Rapid Transit
Structural Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 29, 2017
Bart was a good company to work for. I repaired and maintained the rails and platforms as needed. We also were on call for any emergencies that may occur. I learned a lot working there and management was great.
Pros
Full time work
Cliquish and territorial
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 28, 2017
If you fit in with the blue collar culture you might do fine their but if you look at all outside the norm, prepare for rudeness and bad television in the break rooms along with no conversation more interesting than sports talk
Pros
the money is pretty good
Cons
culture
It is an organization that is critical to the transportation system in the Bay Area.
Manager of M&E Technical Training (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 9, 2017
It is a large organization that has over 3000 employees; but within each department there was a sense of comradery.The hardest part of the job was that it is a bureaucratic organization. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I was part of the organization that has a positive impact for its customers and surrounding communities.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
It is a bureaucratic organization and it takes a long time to get things done.
Excellent place to work
TRAIN CONTROLLER TRAINEE (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 5, 2017
As an employee at BART I've learned the importance of taking what you do for a living seriously. Being the means for which thousands of people rely on daily is an extremely important and rewarding job.
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
under appreciated by most
electronic
Train Control Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 8, 2017
If you are lucky enough to get on here...congratulations. There is a conflict of interest between certain groups but all seem to work well together. There is no sense of reason to whom they promote to the management level. You will have a grest time if you are technically incliined.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
some managers and who they promote
A Professional and impressive work enviroment. Amazing teamwork.
Administrative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oakland,CAJanuary 16, 2017
I was proud to work for BART, I have worked for Bank Of America as Vice Presidetnt and for The City of Antioch. BART is a wonderful and professional place to be employed. BART has amazing and knowledgeable employee's and management, I would highly recommend if given the opportunity to work for BART, don't pass up such a great opportunity to work for a wonderful organization.
Slow and not challenging but with good pay and benefits
Structural Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 21, 2016
Management needs to challenge its employees more and quicken the pace in the office. It's a very comfortable place to work if you want great benefits and pay, but don't want to challenge yourself and grow.
Fun enviorment. It's bartending craft beer.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 10, 2016
This is a family owned bar. The owners are wonderful people and genuinely care about you. You meet all types of customers and regulars. You make tons of new friends while working and it's not difficult work.
Pros
meet lots of fun people, fun atmosphere, free games.
Cons
no benefits, rely on tips, late nights.
Very productive friendly environment .
Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 22, 2016
I learned how to work and mange my time in a very rapid fast environment where things change very rapidly. Also how organize big events from where people are to be seated to the invitations.
Pros
Free lunch long breaks, Healthcare
Cons
Short lunch