Bay Area Rapid Transit

Bay Area Rapid Transit Employee Reviews

Bay Area Rapid Transit insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Structured Environment

Great place to work. Good work life balance.Good benefits. No real opportunity to grow within a department unless someone leaves.Great learning experience

Job security and salary is great

I love my job. You come to work this job will take care of you and your family for life ! There’s no limit here , you can move around, get a raise every year the first 4 years and yearly system raises! All the overtime you want! Retire after 5-10 years with hard work, no layoffs.

Excellent Workplace Atmoshere

Working at BART is a privilege and excellent place to work.... Management is attentive and informed, and provide a safe and applicable room for growth and experience...

Great pay, terrible management

Save yourself the trouble and apply for a real job. The culture is "clicky" and while they talk about "fixing" it they seem bent on maintaining the status quo. I feel like this is and could be a great agency but it's run by a bunch of wannabe authoritarians without the proper skill set to perform even the most basic of functions. If you're set on working there, steer clear of all operations divisions and move solely into transportation and/or special capital projects divisions. All others are loaded with office politics that will make your time there unbearable.

Pros

Great pay.

Cons

Terrible work culture and management

Amazing benefits

Unbeatable benefits and would be good pay if it wasn't the bay area. Reparative and boring, deal with a lot of awful riders. Not the safest job. You have to ask for permission to do anything on your train, but if anything goes wrong it's your fault. Management is awful, especially the higher up you get, the company doesn't care about you at all.

Pros

Benefits, pay, job security

Cons

Awful management, repetitive, patrons can be very difficult to deal with

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Challenging and rewarding, a sense of purpose

Great advancement opportunities Part of a teamGreat trainingSuperb benefitsDifficult work schedulesFilthy environmentThe public Is rudeThe sacrifices are worth it Retirement benefits are wonderful

Pros

Retirement and benefits

Cons

The public is disrespectful and has no idea how lucky they are

Great pay and benefits

This company promotes based on the color of your skin not based on wether you're qualified. I'll leave it at that. Terrible for hard working people who don't suck up and burn co-workers.

benefits

Cons

terrible supervisors

Great salary and benefits

Horrible place to work. Extremely disorganized. Also, alot of unethical behavior. Executive management is a MESS. There is also an extreme about of micro-managing. Lots of gossiping and you can't trust anyone. There is also racism at the higher levels of Management. Crazy hours and schedules.

Pros

The Unions are good and salaries are excellent

Cons

Micro-managing and extremely disorganized and unprofessional

Union job

Managers only need to suck butt to be placed and advance. Do exactly as they want and you can be promoted. Change is very difficult in such a large organization.

Not so Good

Company needs help. Many retired in place collecting large paychecks with no ability to get unstuck. Management is not much help either. No one willing to get think outside the box.

Jobs at Bay Area Rapid Transit

See more jobs

Great pay, great benefits, awesome co-workers, terrible management.

Not wonderful yet. Bright spot in BART's transition is that many of the managers who ultimately suck are retiring. Things are changing for the better.

Hands Down the Most Toxic Environment

This is hands-down, the most toxic environment I've ever experienced! I can't say the pay is good because due to understaffing in my area, and being in a non-unionized role, I was overworked and under-compensated. The more I went above the call of duty to perform, the more my supervision delighted in thinking they had found a fool to exploit. My managers actively worked to lower my morale, drive me crazy as a controlling mechanism and laughed in my face. I must say that many people at BART don't experience what I experienced. The culture in some units is very abusive and from a pre-historic era. Be very careful before you join this company. Some people who've left BART are so emotionally damaged long-term,they chose not to join another company and will only work for themselves now. Pay attention to the vibes you get from your hiring manager and to how much the position you are about to get hired into has turned over, if you can get to the truth. Having an HR background, BART has the worst HR violations and total disregard of HR best practices I have ever seen in my career. The recruitment team works themselves to death because there is so much darn turnover as managers take pride in shredding people like they are easily replaceable.

Teamwork makes a dream work!

BART has a very upbeat work environment largely in part to great teamwork. Management encourages employees to ask questions and are always willing to help and teach. Employee training is taken very serious and support is offered after training classes are completed. Employee moral is high due to department activities such as; group lunches, potlucks, baby showers, Christmas and birthday parties. It is no secret that BART salaries are significantly higher than the average in our demographical area which also stands out about working at BART.

Average

Need more sensitivity training for management due to diversity in the workplace. However, compenssstion on benefit package is great. Retirement plan i

Good company

Receives daily work assignments from appropriate supervisor; assembles necessary cleaning equipment, materials, supplies, cleaning solutions and required protective gear; travels to assigned work site; maintains District stations in a clean and orderly condition by sweeping, scrubbing, waxing and cleaning floors, cleaning and po I ish i n g elevators, esca I ato rs, ticket m ach i n es, gates a nd fixtu res, wash i ng wi n dows and windbreakers and emptying trash containers; clears leaves, trash and debris; sweeps and cleans walkways, patios and sidewalks from the station to the street and all bus stops on District property; cleans District office areas by vacuuming floors, carpets and upholstery, shampooing carpets and upholstery, emptying ashtrays and trash cans, dusting and washing chairs, desks, files and other surfaces and washing walls and doors; cleans and disinfects restroom surfaces and fixtures using detergents and chemicals; restocks restrooms with services supplies such as soap and paper goods; performs heavy cleaning in shop areas, including service pits, truck bays and docks and floor areas, ensuring that debris and grease are removed; in employee lunchroom areas, cleans sink, stove, refrigerator and tables in addition to floor and wall areas; steam cleans tools or parts as may be required; documents work performed; notifies crew leader or supervisor of required maintenance; responds to urgent cleanup in parking lots, garages, trains, offices, and stations as required; and performs heavy cleaning in yards and shops.

Turtle on a fence post management. Elevated beyond their skills or knowledge

The department I worked in was strategic engineering (used to be called M&E) and was neither. Their hiring process while lengthy, pulled in some excellent talent. So HR recruiting gets a 5 star. I met dozens of very knowledgeable people and engineers from all walks of life... BUT...once they get them in, the management in place whom are all promoted from within based on length of time worked and not on knowledge, capability or people skills had no idea how to steer their talent or utilize their skills. In my 8 month stay everyone of the best talents quit or was "let go". On the field side ...as in the people in the filed on the tracks getting the work done...its a little better than their management.

Pros

It is such a mess management wise it would be a very satisfying place to try and improve.

Cons

Zero management especially of public funds

Review summary

Good place to learn and do work. Hardest part of job can bureaucratic aspects of it. But it is very fast paced for government agency. There is generally good worklife balance.

Lots of advancement opportunities..

Lots of advancement opportunities. Expect alcohol drug testing i.e. pre employment / random / post accident / prob cause. Continuing education is part of the job as well. Jobs are largely technically orientated with Public Safety in mind.

Pros

Job security

Cons

No cons..if you are looking for a career rather then just a job you will enjoy Bart.

One of the best companys to work for in the Bay Area. Pay rate is among the best and benefits are top notch. Work hours are sometimes not ideal but for the compensation it is well worth it.

This organization is poorly managed. Its had to get contractor paid. And we as construction engineers push mostly paperwork. There is not enough hand on construction work.

Cons

Too Much Red Tape

Wonderful workplace and great people. Difficult union environment if you are management.

Large employer, great pay. The culture of entitlement by union employees can be difficult to navigate especially during negotiations. I loved working here, but when contracts were due to be renewed, it as fierce!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bay Area Rapid Transit. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bay Area Rapid Transit