Bay Area Rapid Transit Employee Reviews

Turtle on a fence post management. Elevated beyond their skills or knowledge
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 20, 2019
The department I worked in was strategic engineering (used to be called M&E) and was neither. Their hiring process while lengthy, pulled in some excellent talent. So HR recruiting gets a 5 star. I met dozens of very knowledgeable people and engineers from all walks of life... BUT...once they get them in, the management in place whom are all promoted from within based on length of time worked and not on knowledge, capability or people skills had no idea how to steer their talent or utilize their skills. In my 8 month stay everyone of the best talents quit or was "let go". On the field side ...as in the people in the filed on the tracks getting the work done...its a little better than their management.
Pros
It is such a mess management wise it would be a very satisfying place to try and improve.
Cons
Zero management especially of public funds
Review summary
Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 11, 2019
Good place to learn and do work. Hardest part of job can bureaucratic aspects of it. But it is very fast paced for government agency. There is generally good worklife balance.
Lots of advancement opportunities..
Lots of advancement opportunities. Expect alcohol drug testing i.e. pre employment / random / post accident / prob cause. Continuing education is part of the job as well.

Jobs are largely technically orientated with Public Safety in mind.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No cons..if you are looking for a career rather then just a job you will enjoy Bart.
Composite Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 10, 2019
One of the best companys to work for in the Bay Area. Pay rate is among the best and benefits are top notch. Work hours are sometimes not ideal but for the compensation it is well worth it.
Sr. Engineer and Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 31, 2019
This organization is poorly managed. Its had to get contractor paid. And we as construction engineers push mostly paperwork. There is not enough hand on construction work.
Cons
Too Much Red Tape
Wonderful workplace and great people. Difficult union environment if you are management.
HUMAN RESOURCES ANALYST I/II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 19, 2019
Large employer, great pay. The culture of entitlement by union employees can be difficult to navigate especially during negotiations. I loved working here, but when contracts were due to be renewed, it as fierce!
Stresful and dysfunctional workplace
Manager, Contracts & Procurement (M&E) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 21, 2019
Managers do not encourage communication and dialogue with subordinates. It's a top-down management style. Managers prefer micromanaging to allowing employees to develop and grow through performing their jobs. The workplace culture is intimidating and fear-induced. The hardest part of the job was when my manager decided to hire a new employee to be my supervisor. Although he was not qualified and was not able to effectively perform his job, when I went to my manager to discuss this problem she subsubsquently wrote me up for insurbodination. The most enjoyable part was working with my customers and co-workers
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful work environment
fast pace environment
OCIP ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 14, 2019
This work place is a very diverse and fast pace environment to work in. They offer great benefits and management was okay. Overall this is a good company to work for.
benefits
Cons
stressful environment
Good Place to work
Capital Projects Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 5, 2019
Good people and good place to work. Projects are interesting and important so you need to always be on top of them. Management trying to do a good job.
most enjoyable part of the job
Senior Financial Analyst, Operating Budgets (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 26, 2019
I enjoyed working with many people in the organization. The best part of working for BART are the benefits. This is one of the main reasons employees stat on so long.
Benefits
Cons
Commute
Awesome work environment.
Executive Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 24, 2019
Truly brilliant colleagues and wonderful diverse environment.
No day was the same. I was either working under ground or in sun stations
Electrical Fore-worker/Electrical Section Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 5, 2018
So much to do in the area of safety. I made strides increasing my team members level of safety by providing the necessary training needed. I was very glad that no one was hurt under my watch. Like the military. Everyone comes home.
Pros
good team players
Cons
Missing lunch to save people
Bart Review
Train Control Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  SF, CAOctober 7, 2018
Culture was one of entitlement by both union employees and management. Productivity and safety were stated as goals but neither were a high priority. Everyone there seemed to be hanging on until retirement.
SENIOR VEHICLE SCHEDULER/PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 13, 2018
Good personnel, fun to work, and knowledgeable Supervision. Also outstanding employees benefits. Good place to work do to the family atmosphere. Good training program for all classifications.
Cons
Excellent place to work... IF you are in the right place
Electronics Technician/Mainline Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 23, 2018
It was good work. It was challenging. Management was always trying to mess with us because we were union. Some of them had the brains of a turnip. They showed a lot of favoritism. We had fun messing with them in subtle ways.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Great organization to work for.
Deputy Chief of Police (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 8, 2018
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District offers great pay, benefits, working environment, and job satisfaction. I take pride in working for BART.
Pros
great pay and benfits
Cons
high cost of living
Was an ok place to work
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Working for BART can be very stressful. Especially if you want to work. It’s frustrating to work with the employees that just hide and do everything possible to get out of work. Then go sleep on the job and the Union protects them. Very frustrating. But if you want to get a guaranteed pay check to do hardly anything then this place is for you.
Pros
Free train rides for family
Cons
Working with lazy bad attitude people
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 9, 2018
I worked there for over 10 years, there was the good, along with the bad. The fun part was the customers for the most part. Management has taken a turn due to new business procedures. But the job still maintained a fun aspect for it, I fully expected to retire from BART but a relocation made that dream not come true
I enjoyed working for bart
system service worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for bart for 23years got along with most co-workersi retired in 2012 like I said it can be challenging most times patrons would be not so nicemost supervisor you could get along but of course there were a few that you could not I would try to stay away from them I would work for them again the salary is great and also your benefits what more could you ask for in a good paying job and also we had a lot of fun times interacting with co-workers and patrons yes we were very productive in keeping the stations clean there was no room for games the hardest part of the job was keeping the bathrooms clean the most enjoyable part of the job was looking at what you accomplished typical day at work was keeping your station clean for the patrons management would let you know if things were not right the work culture was very diverseI have answered all questions
Pros
our supervisor would treat us to lunch at safety meeting
Cons
patrons would be very messy in the stations
Public entity
Employee Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 25, 2017
Not particularly a good place to work. It is a public agency which has consistently over the years demonstrate inefficiency in how it discharges its responsilities.