BAY HUMAN SERVICES Employee Reviews

Great place with a great mission
Direct care staff (Former Employee) –  Alma, MIAugust 30, 2018
I enjoyed the people while I worked at bay human services. The work always faced me with new challenges to use my creativity to overcome. Everyone was incredibly friendly. The only reason why I didn't return to bay human services was because I fell on hard times, and I needed a job that gave longer hours, paid better, and that was closer to home.
Pros
Negotiate with clients when your scheduled to work, friendly staff, Great feeling after work
Cons
Pay
Poor Place To Work
Direct Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJuly 5, 2018
It wasn't the clients, but the manager of this place. She would do things that risk the well being of the clients living there. Treated and reported false statements about certain employees to make them get fired.
Pros
Clients were wonderful
Cons
Manager was poor
Dangerous, Stressful Environment
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIJune 23, 2018
I had been working at BHS for some time when I was assigned to care in a home. I was instructed the individual was not aggressive, but after being attacked by him and speaking with other employees learned that he had attacked others. BHS had failed to disclose this information to me and had lied about my safety in the home.
Great entry level job for those who love people
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIJune 15, 2018
I have really enjoyed working for this company. They are kind and understanding. They work hard to make sure you have everything you need to do your job well.
Terrible Place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, MIJune 10, 2018
Management was found to tell one home one and thing and the other another but instead go home. When medications were being stolen it was just covered up. Staff stand around and gossip. Residents are physically violent so if you are hard up for money this is the place. Don't trust anyone in the BHS company. Even management that is in charge of home managers are equally corrupt. Employees often no call no showed so you would be stuck working 16 hours go home for 8 and then go back in again and pray it doesn't happen again.
Pros
Get to eat when residents eat.
Cons
Get punched/kicked, swore at, gossiped about, overworked
Hard working superiors and wondeful clients.
Manager Tara Gluski (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 17, 2018
This job was and is flexible, it called for my learning a variety of skills. Teaching me to have focus on multiple aspects of daily living and teaching at once. I was able to apply much of my accumulated skills in other jobs.
Horrible place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lansing miJanuary 9, 2018
The consumers are great , the managers are horrible and let Dsp do there job and disrespect staff . They gossip about people . They don't pay enough for the work they want done. Seems illegal actions taking place in the home . Staff does not show up to work so your stuck working more hours . Your not appreciated, you only hear the negative.
Pros
More hours
Cons
Disrespect, not enough pay, horrible mangers
Bay Human Services Review
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIDecember 22, 2017
Bay Human Services was a good place to work. There was a challenge everyday. The people were great and management was nice as well. I worked at two different homes,one in Dewitt, Mi and one in Marquette,MI. They were two different homes and two different management issues. However, the management in Dewitt was great, the one in Marquette, not so much.
loved the people not the coworkers
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, MIDecember 5, 2017
Its a good place to work if u want to do everything for six people by yourself cause everyone else was always smoking or on their cell phones and thats how residents get hurt.
Pros
full time work
Cons
u might get stuck working more than your shift
My Experience
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Standish, MINovember 5, 2017
Working for Bay Human Services was very enjoyable. It seemed like things were appropriately balanced to make the residents happy. To me Bay Human Services was better tuned in with their residents than my previous job was. I enjoyed working here.
great place to gain experience in support services
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Alma, MIOctober 11, 2017
I love the residents that I work with and the opportunities I have gained through the advanced training the company provides. There are always pros and cons at any place of employment.
Always short staffed
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIOctober 9, 2017
If you're looking for 40hrs+ a week this is the job for you! Staff aren't held accountable, so if someone chooses to not show up then be prepared to get mandated. Management does not step in to ease the work load either. The consumers are amazing! They're what keep you holding out through the frustration. This is a nonprofit organization so don't expect pay raises. Overall 5/10 rating.
Pros
no uniform
Cons
little breaks, called in on your day off
Nice place to work...friendly coworkers
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MISeptember 28, 2017
The employee turn over rate is quite high, with the exception of a few of us. Good team of co-workers right now. Rewarding work, not a lot of pay. Worst part of the job is getting stuck over for a 16 or 18 hour shift because somebody doesn't show up for work.
I love the people I take care of and that makes up the wages.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, MISeptember 10, 2017
I love the individuals I take care of which is the only reason why I'm there. I don't make a lot of money, but you can get insurance benefits. The staff and supervisors are really nice, friendly and always willing to help in anyway. You don't make a lot an hour but can work a lot of hours.
Fun working places
Home Health Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Saginaw miAugust 7, 2017
The company I work for is amazing I really love my job I really like taking the time out to help my customers in provider them my services to them it's always a pleasure to come to Work and can see the smiles on their faces
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Best Job Ever!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, MIAugust 7, 2017
I currently work at the Charlotte, New Beech Location. Management is great and very understanding! Bay Human Services seems to genuinely care about their employees and residents.

If you want a rewarding job, where you feel valued, this is the place for you!
Pros
Awesome Residents, Caring Management, lots of pay raises, overtime available ALWAYS
Horrible management
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Gwinn, MIJuly 4, 2017
The hours were great being the employee turnover was off the charts. The pay was horrible for the amount of work and care being done. Pay a bit better and retain employees vs low pay and spend $ training new help. Employees were horrible at communicating home issues and management refused to address or correct issues. Unfortunately it's the clients who end up suffering.
Pros
The residents, being able to help, teach, watch them grow.
Cons
Management, very little room for advancement
Caring
Direct Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIMay 3, 2017
I loved working with the residents and watching them grow. There was never a dull moment when you were working. There were lots of activities and always something to do.
ok
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIApril 24, 2017
overall great job just have to watch coworkers really messy I loved the job and the elders I worked for I just didn't like the coworkers and when it was brought to managers attention she did nothing about it but had a meeting and did not let us address the issues
Pros
great job
Cons
messy co workers
Most enriching job i have ever had
Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Dewitt, MI.February 24, 2017
I have worked for BHS for 8 years. During this time I have seen many staff come and go. I have heard lots of complaints about the pay; as if the company was responsible. They can only compensate with what the state provides. If people feel they are going to get rich in this line of work, they really need to move on. As a manager, I try very hard to hire only those who are in it for the people not the money. It is a very challenging job, but with many rewards. The company tries very hard to come up with incentive ideas and fun things we can do as a team to boost morale. I work in a "behavioral home" and every day I work; I go home with the warmest of feelings that Today I have made a difference in someone's life. Is this job for everyone? certainly not. But if has many rewards beyond financially.
Pros
employee incentives, feeling of completeness, enriching someone's life
Cons
occassional long hours, paperwork