Baylor College of Medicine Employee Reviews

Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77030January 14, 2019
Loved working in research.im actually back in research now for USF in Tampa.i would recommend Baylor to anybody for a career in the research field.great experience working there and great people and staff.
A lot of motivated young faculty work here
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2019
A lot of talented young faculty work here. They bring a lot of ideas and funding to make research at Baylor very competitive with other top research institutions in Texas even in the whole U.S. I benefit from their enthusiasm. However, the overall benefit for faculty and staff is not so attractive, that's why many faculty leave Baylor annually to find a better paid institute.
Pros
sufficient funding
Cons
not attractive benefit
Flexible working hours depend on your PI
Assistant Laboratory Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2019
Work experience, compensation and advancement directly depend on the PI you work with. If you are lucky you have a PI that is flexible and is willing to give promotions regularly.
Pros
Diverse, Flexible, Collaborative
Cons
Management is inconsistent
Productive learning experience for career in science and medicine
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2019
The job was well-paying and productive for the kind of work we did. it was very fast-paced and exciting. There were a few hangups like how strict it was sometimes. either way, it was still a good job.
Not a professional or caring work place
Administrative Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2019
The entire department was unprofessional & rude to employees. Especially the department administrator. There is no work life balance and the was too much favoritism shown toward certain people while others were treated with no respect. The PI's in the department were rude, nasty, unprofessional and unfair. These people are careless for people who have families. there is no career development here and searching for career advancement is like pulling teeth. there are no pay increases but benefits are decent. The PI's were rude and unethical as well as requested unethical things. i would not recommend anyone working here if you expect good pay do not look for it here. also if you choose to work here do not work for the breast center.
Pros
Decent benefits, paid holidays, medical dental, ect...
Cons
Advancement, rude PI's, salary
A great Company to work for
Registration and Scheduling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2019
I enjoyed working at Baylor, a great Company to work for indeed.
I enjoyed my coworkers, clinical staff, patients and internal and external customers. I learned a lot of great values at Baylor College of Medicine.
Pros
Free lunches etc.for employee appreciation, meeting goals etc.
Nice place to work
Accountant II (Grants & Contracts - Reporting) (Current Employee) –  Texas Medical CenterJanuary 2, 2019
This is a great place to work. The supervisors are knowledgeable and great to work with. There is a lot to learn and there are people that are dedicated to training you.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not flexible
Always learning
Administrator Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77030January 1, 2019
This job was so long ago but very similar to the job at the University of Texas Medical Branch. Was were I go my start with Contracts and Grants. Team work was very important. People were willing to help. No one ever said, "that is not my job." If someone did not know the answer they would try to find it for you.
Wonderful Place to Work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 19, 2018
Loved my time working at Baylor. I was extremely sad to leave the company. Great atmosphere and leadership. Wonderful people to work with. Parking was a nightmare but its the Medical Center!
Researcher's input
MEDICAL RESEARCH SCIENTIST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2018
good flexibility, I learned a lot during my time at Baylor College of Medicine. I worked with important people who gave me good feedback that helped me forwards in my career
productive environment with a good leadership
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 13, 2018
Well recognized organization located in Houston Medical Center.
Good working environment and ability to collaborate with other groups in Medical Center. Lab possessed all necessary equipment to conduct X-ray crystallography
Postdoc review
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2018
Fast paced and very stressful but expected in a biomedical research environment. They don't follow the NIH postdoc salary standard which is troubling.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Awesome place to work, fair company, great benefits
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2018
Academic secretarial duties, coding surgeries, following up on accounts, seeing patients in clinic with doctor, scheduling clinic visits and surgeries, answering phone calls and dealing with such.

I learned about medical coding and billing and how to interact with and care for patients.

Workplace culture was fine. Hardest part of job was juggling surgeon's schedule and keeping him on track for his obligations and keeping patient's happy.

Benefits, nice coworkers, being able to work in the medical field for a fabulous group of surgeons. All in department were respectful and available for information/teaching.
Pros
Discount at cafeteria, benefits, lovely coworkers/boss
Cons
Need to be able to work at a fast pace
Awesome company!
Administrative Associate III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2018
Baylor college of Medicine was a wonderful company to work for. A little relaxed in some areas but very flexible and cares about their employees. Work culture was wonderful, benefits were great and they are doing amazing things in the community. No complaints here
HGSC-GenTechnolgist II
Genetic Technolgist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2018
What did I learn from BCM ? Academic inst. is very aggressive does not allow employee's to flourish and develop. Cost of labor is kept down with a tentative sponsorship program with foreign employees. Level of education does not equal compensation nor does excellent performance equal merit raise. Job is not hard but more psychological taxing than anything else. Screams and awkward silence are common.
Pros
Time off
Cons
over time is not payed
Stressful Environment
Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2018
Great company to work for, but the management is not up to par. High volume of calls and multiple departments to schedule for. A typical day consist of answering 50-100 calls.
Pros
Benefits start day 1
Cons
High volume of calls
Great Place to Work
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 31, 2018
Everyone around the company are always wonderful to work and interact with. Everyone seems to be happy. Parking is very expensive and limited however there are a lot of bike racks and bus routes.
Fun place to work in.
CLINICAL STUDIES PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2018
Great and diverse environment, low stress. Great benefits and compensation. The institution does a great job to protect it's employees and offer the best healthcare possible.
Summary
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2018
I worked very hard at Baylor from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. most days. I learned a great deal about pancreatic cancer and I loved the work there. I worked for a surgeon and was expected to consent all patients for tissue collection prior to surgery. During surgery, I collected blood from patients and picked up surgeon specimens and took it to pathology. I was also expected to keep track of all details regarding patients. I also took notes regarding patients at meetings.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Working 12 hours almost every day.
Extremely disappointed in lack of recognition of efforts by management
Buyer I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2018
No further comments. Overall the company does not value it's employees to the extent that they should when an employee is exceeding expectations on all reviews.
Pros
Wrok Life Balance was good as well as flex schedule.
Cons
Compensation was extremely low.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baylor College of Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight