BBVA Compass Bank Employee Reviews

Found 1,261 reviews matching the search See all 1,749 reviews
Great place with a great team
Branch Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2019
A typical day at the specific branch I was at was overall good. Everyone there was family. They care about your health and needs and try to move around for the benefit of employees and customers. The hardest part was trying not to get overwhelmed by the amount of customers in line and rude customers. For a couple months we were understaffed and the weight and pressure was put on me to help with everything because i was the only one left who really knew what they were doing. We managed to see through that time but it was time I focused on me. The team is supportive and real.
management
Fraud Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 13, 2019
Management is poor and they lack a great deal of empathy when handling their employees issues. As an employee, I have actually witnessed how management treat their customers so I shamed myself for believing that they would treat their employees any better. The job is seriously unorganized and the workplace culture is horrendous. I would not refer this job to anyone nor the bank itself as a company to invest in.
Pros
laid back management and no set rule book
Cons
laid back management and no set rule book
Bad Managment
Client Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXJanuary 4, 2019
Overall great branch but huge lack of professional management..their was alot of personal problems brought into the workplace and alot of talking about employees behind their backs. Manager was two faced and it was like walking on egg shells ..she made employees shed tears on a couple of occassions. Everyone of her employees have left and there is always new people being hired. Upper management needs to realize management is the cause for great employees constantly leaving. I do not recommend this branch location!
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Great place to start your career
Senior Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALJanuary 2, 2019
BBVA Compass is a great place to start your career in finance. They give you the tools needed to learn new concepts and get licensed in many different financial areas. Will always be an entry level employee as with each promotion you only start as base salary (even when being promoted within the same job family). A typical day included client interaction as they walk in as well as a focus on internal calls to clients and external visits to business' which can help us achieve our sales goals.
Pros
Great place to begin your career
Cons
Exceedingly high sales goals
Great job that allows for advancement
Online Account Originations/ Telephone Banker (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2019
The toughest part of the job is taking non-stop calls and talking non-stop during the busy season. The greatest part of the job is the friendly work environment and helpful teammates. Management is kind and respectful and always tries to be flexible with schedules and requested days off.
Pros
Free lunch and/or breakfast every now and then
Cons
Understaffed at times
The most stressful and unrealistic place to work I've ever been associated with.
RPA Robotics Developer - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ALNovember 15, 2018
I can only assume that it was because I was working for a first time manager that I had the experience that I had, however, upper management allows certain things to happen (or not). For example, unrealistic deadlines are given and when they are not able to be met because all of the deliverables are not provided, the deadline is simply changed. However, as a contractor, your deadline is hard-coded and non-negotiable.

Hopefully, as the manager gains experience and confidence, he will learn how to manage and will be able to provide the services that the business deserves.
Pros
Close to home, decent pay, fixed hours per week.
Cons
unrealistic expectations, lack of cooperation
Typical work day
Branch Associate (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXNovember 9, 2018
Every morning we'd pull night drop and work the deposits for our commercial clients. Balance the ATM cash deposits and review checks that may have been pulled out of an account for policy violations. Front-line interactions with the customers as they enter and exit. Handle all complaints in a timely manner giving the customer an explanation with relief or monetary relief based upon the circumstances.
Excellent place to work
Teller (Business Class) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 29, 2018
The atmosphere was fast passed and stressful. I was promoted to Business Class Teller only 8 months of employment. I prepared change orders for business customers. I deposited and distributed very large amounts of cash. The culture in the bank was supportive. The hardest part of the job was dealing with disgruntled customers over errors in their count or how long they had to wait. The co-workers were fun to be around and supportive.
Pros
Challenging but rewarding work
Cons
Stressful at times
Employee Beware
Senior Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  round rock texasOctober 16, 2018
Be careful, they always seem to skirt answers when you ask questions they don't want to give answers to. They want you to sell products that make the the most money instead of what is best for the customer. On more than one occasion, a customers account had weird changes so they always get charged the most fees possible. Even after the transaction was hard posted. Employees and customers beware.
Pros
decent pay. coworkers mostly mean well.
Cons
Management is a joke. they are to busy working on their bonuses to help.
Good and bad days
Adminstrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 3, 2018
A typical day at work can be hectic. Some days there is a lot of work to be done other days can be laid back. You have to be careful about getting involved in office politics. Sometimes people can be very competitive and there is a fight for power. I learned a lot about being an admin. I also learned how to improve my communication skills. The culture is okay but they do have their "picks". Sometimes there is some favoritism as well. The hardest part about my job is that the workload sometimes can be heavy. The most enjoyable part about the job is the group events that they have sometimes i.e employee appreciation days and holiday events.
Pros
job experience, benefits
Cons
pay, chances for promotion
Work Schedule
Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 28, 2018
My daily work schedule at BBVA Compass starts with a daily team huddle we review performance daily, and go over weekly target numbers to achieve monthly goal. Lobby management is expected and necessary to build long term relationships with exiting and new clients. Management is always motivating and inspiring leading by example. The most fulfilling part of this job is helping people;truly influencing their lives in a positive manner long term and short term. Most challenging part of my job is self reflection on performance, constantly trying to perform better and achieve above and beyond goals.
Pros
Positive Work environment
I would like them to care more for their people
Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 27, 2018
BBVA has given me opportunities to advance but they pay you better if you are hired in from the outside. I started here three years ago and I really enjoyed working here, but over the years the culture has changed and I no longer feel as if BBVA cares about its employees.
Not a great place to work
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAFebruary 3, 2019
No advancement opportunities. No replacement when people quit; leaving you to do more work. Poor management. Very rude, clique culture. No resources, bad systems, product promotions don't work leaving customers upset and you to deal with it
Pros
weekends and holidays off
Cons
poor culture
Advancement
Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 31, 2018
Compass does not promote within as advertised. I have work for Compass over two years in the same position. As well as exceeded my goals every quarter, never been written up or had any run ins with management. Still they find every reason to not promote. This is a Spanish bank so if you are a Bilingual male you really good odds with this company.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 22, 2018
The last manager I worked for was unhappy with the fact that due to religious beliefs, I did not participate in the practice of giving a sizable monetary gift to him. Therefore after the second year of working for him and having had 9 previous reviews that were exemplary, I was rated as not being a team player and was asked to resign. I was hired to do one job and the job changed to something completely out of scope for the position I was hired for in the beginning.
Pros
Good managers reward excellent work
Cons
Bad managers sought selfish gain
A bank owned by a foreign bank.
Senior Vice President and Corporate Counsel (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 20, 2018
Compass is a good company to work for. It is a fairly standard large corporation with the additional complexity that it is owned by international financial institution based in Madrid, Spain. But for the purposes of most of its employees, it is a fairly standard regional bank.
Lack of help puts stress on everyone
Teller (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 24, 2018
Poor training, and management was lacking in any type of compassion. Poor working conditions, short of staff, very little training, didn't enjoy this job at all due to management, constant change in management and high turnover. Expected results without providing tools for the job.
Pros
Good package of benefits
Cons
Horrible working environment.
Perfect work family
BANK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COOctober 1, 2018
BBVA is a great employer. The people become your family after a short while. They make it a fun and exciting place to work. You constantly have goals to work towards. If you are struggling to meet your goals, the management will help you to get back up to speed.Compass is a family.
Pros
Awesome bonus' when you meet goals, managers are nice and provide food on long or hard days, plenty of overtime.
Cons
Long days
Too much emphasis on numbers
Branch Retail Executive IV (Current Employee) –  Keller, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Local management puts too much focus on rankings and do not take into consideration market challenges, staffing, nor personal contributions. While other financial institutions are shying away from rankings, performance evaluations are based solely on ranking.
Pros
As a manager, I enjoyed building my current team
Cons
Life/work balance is over looked by current local managers
TEKsystems at BBVA Compass
Lead IT Scrum Master / Commercial Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 18, 2018
TEKsystems placed me at this Bank and I was tasked with an International Culture which utilized Agile processes and a local USA bank which utilized Project Management and was in the process of converting their technology to Agile. This was a challenging position and I feel the overall Bank worked diligently for this transition. I do not know if it was ever completed as I left the Bank prior to that effort.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBVA Compass Bank. Our community is ready to answer.