BCFS Employee Reviews

Do not apply long hours and OT on daily bases regardless if u can or not stay
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  HarlingemSeptember 25, 2018
Really bad place to work they are always lying about a pay raise within the past 2 years only have gotten .20 cent raise they dnt care about u. Other companies are paying more then double then what BCFS pays , overall just a very bad company to work for.
Pros
Good ppl example only same level staff
Cons
Poor mgt, long hours very very low pay
Great Mission...NO future
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Unfortunately there is no advancement at all. You have to be a favorite to advance. The clients make you stay but the politics and "chain of command" does not!
Pros
Support, teamwork, scheduling, travel
Cons
No raises, no advancement, lies
What I learned
Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 24, 2019
I learned every day how thru the case management in the different workplace,you have been provide solutions about family reunification at different cultures was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Provided breakfast, lunch and pay for dinner every day
Cons
Take a short break's everyday.
Great pay but no life
Bilingual Clinician (Current Employee) –  Driscoll, TXFebruary 10, 2019
This company pays well but these jobs are not meant for people with families. Your job is your home. Salaried employers can get flex hours but you never have time to take a day off because of the overwhelming paperwork and workload. This is a rewarding job but stress levels are very high as things change in an instant. Management has their selected favorites and too much micro management. If you are not liked you will be micromanaged and given a hard time. Equipment is always breaking down and you are having to wait in long lines to use one printer for the entire department. Working with the children is wonderful and pay and benefits are good as well.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Micro management, no personal life, long work hours, paperwork, high level of stress
Ping Pong Managers
Lead Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2019
Work 12 hours 7 days a week.
FEMA appeals.
Management abusive with employees.
Company from Texas and the culture of the Texan was nasty, rude.
Travel.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Managers/Leads
Extremely Overworked
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TexasNovember 17, 2018
Long list of cons to working at BCFS ( Harlingen) , but will try to shorten the list with which I feel are most important. No room for job advancement (unless managers favor you). Take too long for someone to give you a bathroom break ( causing employees to end up getting a UTI). Not getting relieved from your shift on scheduled time. Forced to stay on the job if they can't find someone to relieve you.Calling managers or supervisors on the radio and they ignore you. Expected to stand on our feet for majority of work hours ( allowed to sit only from 10 a.m. till 12:00 p.m. ; only at 15 min intervals). Overworked and underpaid. Company dragging their heels on giving pay raises to direct care workers; even though Harlingen, the largest and fullest facility there is in the valley. No time for family, because of long working hours on a daily basis. Some kids are very aggressive towards staff and have no respect for the direct care worker. Staff is constantly worried about being falsely accused by kids causing you to end up losing your job and reputation (no thorough investigation, they just take the kids word over staffs). If you feel you can work in these conditions then apply at BCFS they are connstantly hiring because of all the people that dont last very long working there.
Pros
Great benefits package.
Cons
Overworked and underpaid
Slackers and Backstabbers
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2019
First and Foremost the pay was great !!!
I did not understand why my coworkers were always throwing each other under the bus everyday. I guess they felt like they would be fired if they did not, Yes, crazy to say the least bordering on insanity. They weren't going to advance anywhere as you were only advanced if you had connections. I noticed the people who worked hard and did a good job were always passed over for best assignments and given to those who did little to no work.
Scumbags and slackers were always shown favoritism.
Perhaps, because management and i use that term loosely favored slackers and the backstabbers. I could have been a great job if not for the management and favoritism.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Extremely easy work.
Cons
Favoritism and backstabbers
Great place to work with a focused mission
Clinician (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 27, 2018
The hours are long and sometimes people will get under your skin. You have to ignore and forget them and focus on the work. The pay is very good and helping the migrant population is amazing because it is appreciated.
Pros
Compensation
Excellent working environment
Home Study Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 7, 2018
I have been working for BCFS for the past 9 years. I regret not knowing about this organization sooner. My job as a Home Study Specialist is very rewarding. I only work as a PRN to get some extra income. I have received a great deal of support and respect from upper management during the time that I have been with this company.
This job has provided me not only the opportunity to help others but also the opportunity to travel all over the USA and see new places. I truly enjoy it. God bless BCFS.
Cons
As a PRN you dont get health benefits
Rewarding, challenging and fun!
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2018
I work here because I want to! Every day is different and things tend to change at a moments notice to meet the needs of the kids. We are truly a big family who support each other and have a lot of love for what we do. I may be bias when I say 2nd shift is the best shift to work if you want a genuine experience of the work we do but all shifts work as a team to meet the needs of the children we serve. I just say 2nd shift because we are the most active tight knit group of the bunch because we are the shift that has the most interaction with the kids.

Working here has taught me so much and continues to help me grow as a human. There are days when we are super busy and on our feet from the moment we get into our shift, days that are relaxed and pleasant but it's always fun 99% of the time. We do deal with kids with some trauma and issues but I have to say for the most part my work days are enjoyable and full of energy and laughter.

The kids that come to our facility are from all over the world and we do what we have to in order to accommodate them so they feel secure, happy and are healthy. Having the opportunity to work at an emergency shelter made me realize that this was right up my alley and I'm happy that I made the move to work for BCFS HHS. We are a big happy, fun, creative, compassionate and empathetic family of people who are here to serve the mission we have been tasked to do for the kids we serve.
Pros
Positive, supportive, strong, encouraging work environment, benefits, lots of love for each other and friendships, personal growth, fun and interactive monthly trainings, and just the gratification of knowing you are making a difference, overtime hours.
Cons
Very strict policies, always understaffed, strenuous work hours that affect your personal life, finding a balance between work and personal life can be a challege, not real opportunity for breaks, no pay raises, short and last minute and often stressfull tasks throughout the shift, being on a rotation of coming in early or staying late due to short staff.
Great people
IT Help Desk Analyst Tier I (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 19, 2018
Management was great along with the opportunities. They give you plenty of opportunities to advance and make the most of yourself. There is quite a bit of traveling.
A challenging, but rewarding job.
Disaster Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2018
I enjoyed my jobs with BCFS very much. The assignments are PRN. You don't know when you will be assigned or how long the assignment will last. I was told this upfront as well as the fact that I would be working long hours. I agreed with the hours based on the fact that I accepted the assignment. This is a job for those who enjoy the flexibility of work, being able to travel and meet new people, and don't want to be tied down to a year-long 9-5 job.
Pros
Company arranges for living accommodations and transportation, great salary, travel, meeting new people (both co-workers and survivors), being able to connect survivors to services that meet their needs.
Cons
Uncertainty of knowing when next assignment will be.
I love working as a Disaster Case Manager for BCFS
On-Call Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 19, 2019
Great company to work for. It feels great to help people who have gone through a hard time and you can provide help. i have been able to travel to places I've always wanted to see and work with different cultures.
Pros
Helping people, great pay
Cons
You never know when you're going to work
Great company and leadership
Employee (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 8, 2018
Wonderful company to work for. Strongly believe in their mission and leadership promotes growth and leads by example.

Unfortunately due to the line of work it does not pay well however the job itself is very rewarding.
Pros
Leadership, flexibility, benefits
Cons
Compensation
Don't work for company
Direct Care Staff II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 29, 2018
Of you don't want stress, and if you want to spend time with your own family don't work here. You work and not appreciated for anything. I don't approve the way they treat the children.
I'm not rating them I feel they don't deserve a star
O had to give one star because app wouldn't allow me to submit without rating.☹️
Pros
I enjoy helping people
Cons
Management is awful
The Truth
Disaster Case Manager (Long-Term Position) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2019
The constant changes to the internal computer system cause confusion and additional work for the employees. Upper management does not communicate with employees. The company continues to make changes to how their employees are going to get paid. The hardest part of the job is handling the large caseloads (over 30 cases assigned), reporting process (confusing), maintaining timely contact with clients and attending the mandatory last minute trainings.
Pros
IDCM jobs are very organized
Cons
Management is reactive instead of proactive
The best company I had ever worked for contract
CLINICIAN EMERGENCY RESPONSE UNIT (Former Employee) –  Tornillo, TXFebruary 7, 2019
• Coordinate case management and therapy services for children, mostly ages 6-17
• Prepare goal oriented psychosocial diagnostic assessments, service plans and progress reports
• Facilitate or co-facilitate a minimum of two children’s groups weekly on special topics and issues
• Provide case consultations, weekly one to one counseling for each family represented
• Meet all pre-determined deadlines required by programs supervisor and federal partners
• Coordinate case management and family reunification services for children, mostly ages 13-17
• Initiate and maintain direct contact with each child and the child’s family while the child is in shelter care in order to efficiently advance the child’s family reunification and release the child from the facility,
• Identify potential family members or other sponsors for reunification
• Facilitate the timely release or discharge of children to family members or other authorized caregivers and document the provision of services in each child’s case file.
• Support family members or other sponsors to assist them with understanding the process and the child’s needs.
• Assist with assessments of each child’s needs
• Assist with writing the Individual Service Plan for each child
• Report significant incidents according to policies and procedures from the
• Maintain case file and Database according to policies and procedures from the UAC Portal
• Work closely with counselors and Care Coordinators and the ORR
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Contract emplyment
Review
Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2019
I have been working for the company for a short amount of time but the management is all over the place. There is no set guidelines nor standards for the employees. The management constantly change their minds with tasks.
fun and the days go by quick
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 26, 2019
i was working 12 hour shifts this did not include travel time to the facility to and from work.
compensation was great and everything was paid for as in food and transportation.
this is for the prn position not a full time position
Awful
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2019
Racist, prejudice, back stabbing liars. They lie to you in your face. It is so unprofessional, you may as well be in corporate America. You would think a Christian organization would act as Christ, but not the case. Not sure why the government has not shut them down yet. Everything they do is about numbers and money. They care nothing for their employees or the people in which they are suppose to help. Management had 150 employees and by month 6, they are down to 30, and still try to write you up, fire you, and not to mention are late with your paycheck. What a great place to work... Hostile, draining, toxic, and sad work environment. Management could be so far ahead if they cared about their employees and listened to them. The IDCM program is better because at least the money makes the bull easier to put up with. It's kinda ran like Trump runs the government. Does that explain enough for you?
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Nothing..I could say getting paid but if they are late paying you, well...