BCFS Employee Reviews

productive and helpful to the community in need
Residential Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raymondville, TXJuly 16, 2018
I was able to experience the opening of one of the centers and started working in the office but I also got to experience working as direct care staff.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hard time getting relief for restroom break
Great Place But Fast Paced
Zone Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJuly 14, 2018
BCFS has a great mission however I believe it got to big to fast and sometimes cannot retain the standard of care or employees. This leads to many difficulties that are to hard to change after taking on to many contracts. However you will be used if you have the experience and that they did.
Pros
Allot of work to be had
Cons
Can slow down when policy is changed every week
Company culture
Direct Care Staff PRN (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJuly 12, 2018
Assist to uac, provide a great lifestyle, food, clothes and health
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Independent work, small supervision, very helpful
Bilingual Case Manager - Emergency Relief (Current Employee) –  Santurce, PRJuly 7, 2018
It was a great experience working to help people in need after the hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. A place to be always working with cases in different ways.
Pros
good pay
Cons
just a few months every deployment
Bcfs
Parent Facilitator III (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 25, 2018
Loved what I do, enjoy making a difference. This environment is ok to work at, needs improvements, better pay. But it is non profit. Love my supervisor
Go somewhere else
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 18, 2018
I worked at the Harlingen facility as direct care this facility is so inhumane towards staff and then they wonder why people quit left and right and call in all the time. You are expected to work long shifts 12hr+ they do not relieve you on time and you are not allowed to sit down you are constantly in pain which does not make sense. I have worked in other shelters for the past 4 years and this is the worst I've ever seen Managers are so unorganized. Kids are trying to escape every other day. Medical staff will take over 10 hours to see a child even if that child has a fever. They won't care unless the child is literally dying in front of you. If you can ignore all of this and live with yourselves go ahead and work here otherwise go somewhere else.
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
Standing long hours 12+ In pain all the time
Great work place
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raymondville, TXJune 13, 2018
I loved working with all my co-workers. Being able to assist the residents was very rewarding. The benefits are amazing. I loved getting the chance to learn new things.
Not flexible
PRS (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 10, 2018
This workplace is not flexible for all of its employees. Upper management does not think outside the box when it comes to extenuating circumstances. They lack communication skills.
Case Aide
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 6, 2018
case load varies, one week its really busy, next week it is really slow.
constant changes in procedure, you need to adapt easily.
some supervisors are nice, others not so much. Overall, I found this job somewhat enjoyable.
It was often stressful due to deadlines
Clinician/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2018
Things changed after becoming a Clinician and everything was very stressful. Deadlines were always thrown in our faces, however, I can say that the leadership there did try to assist in anything possible. Even our parking was bad.
Cons
Stress surge
the most enjoyable part of the job
Direct Care and Floater (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2018
Seeing the children happy. Answering their countless questions and teaching them manners, cleanliness and games. Being able to counsel them accordingly and help them make good choices.
Pros
all 3 meals were free.
Cons
having to use port a potties...
BCFS is a very diverse company that genuinely cares for the employees.
Immediate Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2018
A typical work day at BCFS is filled with progressive challenges to learn new or revised information to educate staff and aide the community. Management is very knowledgeable and willing to assist, teamwork is a vital part of daily activities. It's a culturally rich environment that engages everyone. The hardest part of the job is completing tasks, time sensitive. The most enjoyable part of the day is group briefings and sharing feedback of the day.
Pros
Great Company benefits
Cons
Commutes to and from work.
N/a
N/A (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 27, 2018
To understand more about this company, you must work for them...period. Some staff are great, other are not. Work can be rewarding, but lack of experience and leadership among superiors can and has been a detriment to moral as deployments get lengthy.
Rewarding work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San AntonioApril 25, 2018
Very rewarding work, having an impact on individuals who has lost hope due to crisis. You travel around the country and international bring change for humans in crisis
Pros
Good pay. Meet great people. Rewarding work
Cons
No advancement for blacks, . Very buddy system and other things in order to advance, Your not suppose to question anything, Lot of supervisors are disrespectful, and lack knowledge, As a federal contractor they keeps blacks out by saying you have to be bilingual, While a lot of the Hispanics themselves dont speak Spanish, You are harassed if you stand up, constant treat of demobilization., Individuals are fearful to speak up.
Decent pay but no work life balance
Clinician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 19, 2018
There is little to no work life balance. It is difficult to work here if you have a family. Working as exempt salaried staff means that you get to do all of the work that hourly employees do not have time to complete. Moral is often low and stress is high. This is a very high anxiety inducing position.
Pros
Above average pay
Cons
No work life balance. High Anxiety and stress levels.
great place to work
PRN Lead Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXApril 11, 2018
worked a contract PRN position. was happy with role however contract ended. Management was fair and flexible with employee needs. Fast paced environment
I love this job
Immediate Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 29, 2018
This type of job was made for me. I work as a contractor as part of the immediate disaster cadre and I love it. However, the job can be intensely stressful as it is through government contracts that we work. You work very long days (12+ hours depending on your position for that deployment). The pay is more than fair and, because you work so much overtime, each check is solid. The work itself is satisfying. This is the only job I have ever been able to honestly say that I love. There are a lot of political games that happen when deployed. There is a certain culture that develops on deployment that can be both positive and negative (though, probably more negative). You definitely have to be careful while you are working in the field. Overall, I love my job and, for now, it is worth the stress, the games, and the challenges. It is not for everyone so should you choose to apply, be prepared for a challenging environment in the immediate disaster cadre.
Pros
Contract Work (Freedom), Good Pay, Travel, Meaningful Work
Cons
Contract Work (Job Security), Political Nonsense, No Benefits
Very intense, sometimes fun. Educational
Unit Manager/Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 23, 2018
BCFS, Working with children ages 10-18 boys and girls from Central America. Enjoyable part was seeing children connect with their families from this country.
Pros
We ate Breakfast, lunch and dinner free with students. Classroom and outdoor activites fun.
Cons
No breaks at all, Each shift 12 hrs. I work the day shift. The children had to be watch at all time.
Great Place to work
Program Director - ORR Federal Programs (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 6, 2018
Great place to work. Great environment. People are motivated and want to help. Social Services field with a great mission statement and geared towards helping youth and community.
A Productive Day at BCFS
Disaster Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2018
A typical day at BCFS starts off with morning briefings in the briefings we learned what was going on for the day and well as the week. Management gathered their teams and deployed teams to DRC's (Disaster Recovery Center) to where teams are stationed. The hardest part of the job is when the Survivors come to you and are in need of assistance and you are not able to help. The most enjoyable part of the job is being there to assistance and able to help and actually being able to assist the Survivor.
Pros
Being able to help, and the Pay
Cons
When it ends.