BDP International Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
I think this company is ok to just learn the industry but not to advance
Export Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2018
I think this company is ok to just learn the industry but not to advance. Worked here for four years but could not advance to anything even when I tried. They wanted me to stay where I was. Poor management as they did not help me to get where I wanted.
Pros
Distance
Cons
Management, pay
Stressful Environment
Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 23, 2018
Lack of Management qualifications, stressful work environment, lack of training, not a full 40 hours, lack of discipline, the pay for the type of job is awful.
BDP's Culture is positive and most enjoyable place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 1, 2018
I have enjoyed working at BDP, the team of people I work with are great. There isn't much room for growth without relocating. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the angry customers regarding payment of invoices. The payment process relies on our operations teams to complete their jobs and this is not consistently done. On a typical day I am training or advising on processes and what is needed from my operations teams. The most enjoyable part is the report I have with many of my customers, both internal and external. BDP's Culture is positive, the company holds events that the entire team looks forward to, and they use methods to make sure the entire team works well together.
Pros
They encourage fun activities that help break up the day to day.
Cons
They allow family members to work under one another.
Found it wasn't my career path, some management better than others
Ocean/Air Freight Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 28, 2018
My work load was moderate and routine week to week. A lot of the work was already set up for me before I started the role and didn't require a lot of creative insight or problem solving. Dealt with a lot of the same people.
My managers when I first started were nice and encouraging but when I changed roles the management changed.
Hardest part was lack of formal training for my roles.
The most enjoyable part was not having to worry about taking work home with me.
Pros
Flexible starting/ending shifts
Cons
Not compensated enough
Productive and fast paced
Import Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2018
Fast paced environment.. employees are very unfriendly. The training process was horrible do to the leads being overworked.
Management is very unprofessional will walk by and not even acknowledge their employees.days usually start at 830 for most. Employees walk in whenever they feel like it
really laid back
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 5, 2018
It was a really laid back atmosphere. You could wear jean you we able to make up time if you came in late. Management was pretty cool and easy to get along with.
Pros
made you fell comfortable
Cons
travel
Import Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 1, 2018
BDP was a good place to get in the door to learn about the logistics environment and how to do imports and exports.
It provided the knowledge and expertise to help me move on to other companies. I did value the work and my fellow associates. However being one of few to have a college degree seemed to be downfall.

I would not suggest this job to anyone that lives more than 30 minutes or30 miles from this workplace.

The pay and the travel do not match up.

Management was very good at playing favorites. They did not follow proper protocol nor did upper management.

I was ridiculed for using time off before it had expired.
I was sent home for coughing.
I was told to use sick time and not allowed to work from home when I had car issues, while other associates were provided the opportunity to still work from home and not use their sick time for the same exact reason.

I had my desk moved because I was coughing.
I was ridiculed for following procedures and had management block me from asking questions on the portal.

I was told that I violated the BDP protocol by sending e-mails. However my job at BDP required me to send e-mails that had pertinent information.

BDP is not a place I would recommend.
Pros
Health benefits and time off
Cons
unfair practices, harassment, poor management. low salary
Great atmosphere, great co-workers. i admire the company friendly culture
Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 31, 2018
Management in Edison office it is very well experienced and care about their employee. If you are a hard worker you will definitely move up very quick and create a real carrier. Benefits are good compare to some other companies near by. The owners are also very friendly and they stop by very often to meet the desk level employee and provide free lunches.
Pros
Convenient location, plenty of chemical customers
Cons
Perhaps the training of new employee should be improved a little but in general everything its good.
Poor work Enviroment
Import Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 24, 2018
Poor leadership and poor work ethic. You did well if you did not question anything and just did as you were told. Right or wrong.
Very unfortunate the way that I was treated by my colleagues and management,
Great place to work but disorganized
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 15, 2018
It's a great place to work, most people are friendly but some are too noisy... Team lead is too much!!! But the environment is awesome in general and great office space
Pros
Awesome environment in general
Cons
team lead does not know how to manage
Wouldn't Recommend
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2018
Did not have a favorable experience at this company, thought management was poorly run but I also haven't worked there in almost a decade so things may have changed
good work environment
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 9, 2018
Overall a decent job. People were fun to work with. Sometimes the workload was a little too much. Lots of office parties. Management was always seemed too busy to help.
documentation specialist
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 8, 2018
A typical day at BDP: clock in and sign in. We process documents for the customer to get their product through customer. Sometimes we called the carriers and clients to check on the shipments. The hardest part of the job is time management based on the work load, sometime the work came in all at the same time and you just have to process as much as time will allow you or work overtime to get caught.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
work load
Trick of the Trade
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 6, 2018
Depending on your department, account, and title, BDP is a great place to begin your career. For someone focused on learning Logistics, this is a great foot-in. Do not expect to gain a new title within the first 4 years.
typical
Import/Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCDecember 20, 2017
typical work place,poor management, no room for advancement. It's not what you know here it who you know. Mangement is poor they give you no direction. No job security
BDP is a great company but needs new management in my particular office
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 14, 2017
The company itself is impressive. However this office needs a strong and receptive manager to stimulate the growth of each employee and to aggressively generate new business. I worked in this office for over 3 years. We lost a productive account that I was working on due to the non-professional attitude of the management team. A new assistant manager was hired with few skills, not receptive to helping others, little education which created a non-professional environment within the office (high school mentality) which was discouraging and is creating an increasingly hostile environment and my reason to leave since the manager was not receptive to hearing this. This office needs to hire people with a college education to deliver a mature, intelligent and business professional environment. A better manager could change the office environment significantly as well as the business outlook for this office. Moving to a new company with an excellent management team stimulated me to write this review. If it wasn't for the management, especially the new management team, I would have gladly remained at BDP.

In summary, this a good company but this office needs to be more productive with better management. It needs a better training program, needs a training manual, needs cross training and needs to encourage workers to advance their skills with defined training programs. Needs to hire more college graduates and compensate them accordingly which will generate a more professional environment in this office and this will serve well for generating new business. A company is only as good
  more... as its employees since this creates the "face' of the company.  less
Pros
Good company to begin a career in the import/export field and OK benefits.
Cons
Needs a significantly better and more professional management team, Needs a better training program, needs a training manual, needs cross training and needs more college educated professional and compensate them accordingly.
Good company to work for, but could use improvement
Air Export Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 27, 2017
Great company for someone starting out, but very fast paced and extremely stressful at times. Many employees with 20+ years with the company. Average opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Business Casual Dress
Cons
Salary below industry average
Productive fast pace job
Breakbulk Import Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CANovember 19, 2017
I enjoyed the rush of making sure the customer received their cargo in a timely manner which made the customer very happy so that means I was a success!
Pros
Every Friday Free Lunch
Cons
X-mas bonus
Productive Workplace
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 24, 2017
Solid company to get you start in logistics and supply chain. Workload can be heavy based on customer demand. If you show a desire to advance there are opportunities. Multiple offices in the US and abroad allow for opportunities to work in different locations.
Focused and intense enviorment
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2017
It's an okay place to work.Lots of overtime, Great co-workers. Kind of a high school kind if feel which could be good or bad i guess. Decent pay, Great benefits.