Beacon Specialized Living Services Employee Reviews

Great coworkers , management is the best
Rooing supply group (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 14, 2018
Start was from 6:00am until the loads are done. Learned to work as a team , also learned how to operate a forklift and stacking items. The work environment was great we all get along as a family.
Run!
Staff (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 13, 2018
I work for a home that allows a resident to physically and verbally attack staff daily as well as being berated by the parents. They value the money the get for him over staff. We are constantly being lied to about him being removed from the home just to shut us up. If you want to slowly slip into depression and turn to substance abuse to cope, then Beacon is the place for you. Good luck and God bless!
Pros
Easy to get overtime
Cons
Physical and verbal abuse
Horrible place to work for
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, MIAugust 2, 2018
It’s not a good place to work at all and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. The co workers I worked with with were all rude and talked bad about you either behind your back or right in front of you. They had no consideration for your feelings at all. What’s messed up also is they were training me to pass
Meds and then just let me go. I think they were looking for a reason to fire me because everyone they didn’t like me for one reason or another. If ur willing to work pretty much 24/7 then it’s the place for you if not then it’s not. You also have to be a sociable person in which I wasn’t which I think had a lot to do with why I wasn’t liked. I gave it a shot tho. It wasn’t for me. Again I wouldn’t recommend it. Management was very rude too!!
Pros
Free meals
Cons
The environment and people I was working with
Company Lacks Integrity and Compassion
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 18, 2018
If you have ethics and morals, I strongly suggest you do not work for this company. Their core mission statement is not something they stand by. They are all about profit and care very little about the residents. Training is below par, minimum support from your supervisor, health insurance for family is almost unaffordable, absolutely no job security, compensation is below average and harrassment seems to be an acceptable culture.
If you are a social worker or nurse, there is very little room for advancement. When you advocate for the residents and report neglect, you will be investigated by corporate due to your unwillingness to turn a blindeye. The aggressive behaviors from the residents are nothing compared to dealing with the VPs and upper management. If you are a professional, I strongly suggest not investing the time or taking the risk of working for this company.
Pros
Relationships with residents
Cons
See review
Awesome place to spend my days
Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganJune 25, 2018
Beacon Specialized Living may not be perfect, but it isn't far from it. I've worked in quite a few other locations in my field and if you lump them all together, they can't match Beacon. They offer many benefits, pay is decent, if you make a mistake you are allowed to own up to it and correct it...not loose your lively hood for it. All in all, they truly are the greatest. It is a pleasure to say I work for them!
Pros
Cons
one or two co-workers, but you have that everywhere
I am not a good candidate for this employer
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MIJune 12, 2018
Unfortunately I could not handle the verbal, mental, and physical abuse that the client gave to me or my co-workers on an hourly basis all day long. The staff have to work under certain guidelines and Resident Right's Laws; which they do very well, but this position just was not for me. I will say that management did their absolute best to support and work with all staff to make sure that they were safe and properly educated with the clients needs. This, for me was the most difficult job I've ever had. There are people who thrive for this job and the role that is played as a caregiver, and to them I give applause.
great company
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJune 5, 2018
The company is so great, the residents are so welcoming, training is always executed promptly. I loved the environment. At time things can be stressful working 12 hour days but the residents make it worth it.
Issues to overcome
Direct Care Worker (DCW) - Level IV - DMA (Current Employee) –  Plainwell, MIJune 1, 2018
Overall, not too bad of a place to work, but they're expanding more than they can staff. At current their main issue appears to be staffing/managing. Once they find a balance it may be a suitable job.
Pros
3 day work week, decent benefits
Cons
Staffing issues, stressful environment
Poor Upper Management with minimal support to staff
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 28, 2018
This is company will promise a prospective employee the moon. Once the employee is hired the truth begins to surface. Minimal to no support from upper management, staff do not follow policies and procedures, health benefits are unaffordable, staff have minimal support in dealing with uncooperative/aggressive Residents. I would not recommend this company to anyone seeking employment.
Cons
No breaks, poor work life balance, employees are lied to
Would never recommend
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Sebewaing, MIMay 22, 2018
If you’re looking for poor management and violent residents this is the place. Worked not two weeks and was until the ER three times and now have PTSD because of it. Management does not care, you’ll work crazy hours and get called in and asked to stay over with no appreciation or pay raise, insurance is almost unaffordable. Very poor place to work
Pros
When I quit
Great Place to Work!!
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  StantonMay 18, 2018
Beacon is a great place to work with a ton of growth and opportunity! Management wants all parties to learn, grow and continue to advance within the company. Stanton facility is absolutely gorgeous, with great resident's, staff, and management.
If you're looking for an environment to grow and learn in this is defiantly your job!
Pros
Great company, resident's are great, beautiful homes
Cons
Staffing ratios could be higher
Dangerous
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, MIMay 16, 2018
This place does not care anything about there employees. If you get hurt on the job well you might as well forget about it, as they will not cover treatment that the doctor suggests. In this place you have no rights the patients have all the rights, so when one of them gets angry and hits you, you have no recourse at all. You can file a complaint with the police about the one that hit you, but you can say good bye to your job if you do. There pay is not good for what you are expected to do.
Dcw
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Stanton, MIApril 25, 2018
If you like working somewhere where you don’t feel appreciated, undervalued, and not taken seriously this is the job for you. The management is poor and doesn’t take you seriously. Don’t ask for a day off because you won’t get it without finding your own coverage no matter how far in advance you ask. Your always expected to do someone else work and if you question it in anyway you get yelled at by management. Don’t get sick because if you do your expected to still find your own coverage or you get wrote up if you don’t come in. Teamwork with most staff is awful. No one for the most part is willing to help at all with anything. Most staff make behaviors with residents worse than actually help. Staffing is awful we are constantly short staffed and management does nothing to help. Management in the home will paint you in a bad light to their managers as to not make them look bad. Basically don’t expect a fun environment when your here.
Pros
Residents, benefits
Cons
Management, staff
Do not agree with recent changes
Assistant Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIApril 19, 2018
Beacon Specialized Living Services was a great company to work for with a lot of room for advancement. It not only gave me professional knowledge and experience but also personal growth as well. There are many great people that work for this company that I truly enjoyed working with. Unfortunately things turned for the worse with poor hiring decisions and when the company was bought out.
Pros
Mostly great people to work with
Cons
Poor hiring decisions for Upper Management Staff
worst management ever
dcw (Former Employee) –  Stanton, MIApril 14, 2018
no support from management .dont teach you how to do the job they want it done but complain that you do it wrong.was hired for days but never got hours so i had to work nights to get hours.
Pros
great clients and co workers
Cons
bad management
Beacon
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Goodrich, MIApril 10, 2018
Horrible management!! Pay was good some residents were sweet then you have ones who don’t deserve to be there because it is a high functioning home and for people to work toward going back home to their families l! Management is horrible they don’t treat their employees good! They don’t care about your outside life
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not having enough time for outside life beacon becomes your life
Horrible management
DCW (Current Employee) –  Stanton, MIApril 4, 2018
At first I enjoyed working for this company but as time went on I began to see management in my home for who they really were. Then during one of our morning meetings we were told that management is office staff NOT floor staff and they would only help in emergency situations. So basically you could be the only staff on the floor getting pulled in 100 directions and management won’t come to help because it isn’t an emergency. Also don’t ask for time off on your rotating weekend even if you ask a month in advance because you won’t get it off. Forget family emergencies while your on the clock as well because if you can’t find someone to come in for you, you won’t be leaving.
Pros
Plenty of room for advancement
Cons
Extremely poor managers
extra cash
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIMarch 16, 2018
This employment is just another way of making real quick cash if fall on hard times. work is not all that bad just long hours. management is okay depending on who is available per shift. The hardest part is traveling long distance in the winter if you don't have someone driving you to work. Spending time with the residents and getting to know who you are dealing with.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
driving long distance in the winter time.
Worst company
Home Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 5, 2018
They lie to you in the interview process to get you in fast. If you question anything they will fire you. Management doesn't care about the residents.
Pros
None!
Cons
Everything. Management. No training
Ad Agency Time Machine
Creative (Former Employee) –  Bedminster, NJFebruary 14, 2018
Step back into the 1990's at Beacon where they still don't recycle, the only drinking water is NJ tap, and state anti-nepotism laws are completely ignored.
Pros
Lots of free parking spaces in parking lot.
Cons
Powerpoint Managed Care deck is king.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Beacon Specialized Living Services. Our community is ready to answer.