Bear Communications Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Great Company
Underground Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJuly 12, 2018
Bear is a great company to work for. They helped with transportation along with room and board. The on the job training was pretty good and they made sure that you very fully capable to perform work duties
Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 30, 2018
showing up every morning to grab equipment for the day and materials. go over all jobs for the day and help other guys on the team. go over any new information.
Terrible place to work Basically Illegal
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 13, 2018
I was robbed on production for this job and worked over 80 hours every 2 weeks , was also bullied and forced to work with a injury to both hands its basically they pay you what they want to
Pros
Cons
Slavery, Bullying, Just to pay you nothing for 80 hours of work
Poor management
Aerial Cable Lineman (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 26, 2018
Management was terrible . Poor communication. When changes were made to how they wanted certain stuff done they wouldn’t notify you until after you had completed a job. I can go on all day about the problems bottom line is stay away from Bear.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Stressful and terrible management
Used to have great managers. Now, not so much.
technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 6, 2018
Very negative environment. manager yells and belittles subordinates. Tired of the negativity. performance scores rose in last 6 months but it isn't likely to last, and attrition is awful. You can only push people so hard til they leave or stop trying. Most of the staff is wonderful, but it doesn't do any good if the manager is awful.
Pros
independent work, field supervisors are great
Cons
pay is sub-par, manager currently in place.
Poor Culture
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 26, 2018
Company lacks the knowledge to work in the telecommunications construction industry. They do not know how to solve nor are willing to try an solve their turn over rate. Poor upper leadership support and guidance. They do not understand the resources needed to work project correctly.
Cons
Not the place to seek training
Cable Installation Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Oakwood Village, OHFebruary 8, 2018
You can make some good money here if you're good at installation. The more jobs you complete, the more money you make. But, if you're not a very good installer, (or just not experienced) then you will probably only make 11 bucks an hour for 90 days, then you will drop to minimum wage, or be paid off of points. So pick your poison.
Pros
work vehicle and gas card provided, work by yourself
Cons
pay rate drops to minimum wage if you are not a fast installer
very busy days and little time per job
Cable Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 31, 2018
a typical day started off with loading all hardware into vehicle.i learned a lot on my own because training time was short.management was great as long as they could help when they could because there days were busy assisting all employees.work place culture was a team effort and we all worked together when someone needed help.the hardest part was the long days of work for little pay to show for it.The most enjoyable part of the job was the installment of a customers hardware and services so they could be comfortable with our services.
Pros
met a lot of great people.
Cons
pay was not great and based on jobs done versus hourly
Bear Communications
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 2, 2018
Bear was a great place to work, My boss was very hands off and she was a great supporter of her people, the job was a large contract but short time, when it was over the company moved to another state, and i choose not to follow, I have been contacted twice to rejoin.
Need better communication from management
Quality Supervisor - Cable Technician (Current Employee) –  Grandview, MODecember 31, 2017
I was quality supervisor, they put down to hourly, then back to supervisor on salary, then took that away because they had to cut a salary and I was it, they put me as a technician on a point system.
The roller coaster and instability has led me to seek employment elsewhere. The management doesn't really care about their employees.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Not knowing how much i am going to make, if i dont have jobs then I can't make points, which makes me no money.
Not a good company to work for
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Grandview, MODecember 27, 2017
During the winter is the worst time to work here. The days are long and slow.
Summer time we are slammed and seem to not have enough techs to cover the amount of work we have.
Management sucks and the coworkers are always trying to stir up trouble.
Bear
Premises installer (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 11, 2017
Bear was a good company, working their allowed you to make as much as you wanted when they were piece rate. The supervisors helped as much as they could and it was a good atmosphere
poor company with high turnover
Installer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 6, 2017
As a cable tv installer,I thought they had horrible training,no benefits, they paid well was only good part. and learning how to connect cable. It was more of a filler job.
Pros
work by youself
Cons
used on truck and gas, poor trainimg
Productive fun workplace
Cable Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MONovember 6, 2017
If your fast and efficient and take pride in your work there's lots of room to excel. The more you got done the faster you got it done the more you made hourly. Got to meet new people everyday.
Pros
Freetime between jobs, new environment everyday
Cons
Work load flux with seasons
moved out of state
Laborer Foreman (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNOctober 5, 2017
up and moved out of state and unfortunately lost my job before clocking in one morning. was not made aware of the change and was not asked to relocate.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
relaxed and good coworkers
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 15, 2017
very fast pasted job supported both internal and external customers did the routing for the technicians and also gave support throughout the day. we were able to take lunch breaks as long as they were not but 20 minutes and that was not quite enough time.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
long days no breaks
great place to work
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MOMay 31, 2017
always have up to date equipment , seemed to have a steady work flow. they bounce around with different customers a lot is why I left. they started lay offs left and right.
Pros
equipment, vehicles
Cons
management
Do not work for this company!!!!
Installer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 31, 2017
Poor management, no safety training, very low pay, schedule sun-thurs with no overtime pay. Not organized by far the worst company I ever worked for
Pros
Take your vehicle home
Cons
Poor management, low pay, no safety training, not organized.
Very fast paced, phone volume heavy, upbeat environment
Lead Dispatcher for our Contractor division (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSApril 28, 2017
Directly supported up to 30 Technicians in a typical day.

Learned to set up spreadsheets of all technicians routes, make QA calls after job completions, making hourly updates to Time Warner Contractor Dispatch division.

Management was in and out of the office to go on job sites.

The hardest part was to find an available tech when the assigned tech had to leave the field unexpectedly.

Very fast paced and difficult quotas from Time Warner.

The branch I was employed under moved, everything has changed as this was several years ago.
Pros
Occasional free lunches and coworkers sense of humor
Cons
Breaks and lunches unpredictable due to phones.
Fun job with low pay
Cable Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 12, 2017
When i worked here they gave me a van and supplied me with all the equipment i wanted.. (when they had it) I enjoyed working here but the head manager was fired here for stealing everyone's gift cards. (One reason i quit) My biggest complaint working here was the low pay. Other then that i enjoyed working for this company.
Pros
Head manager thief was fired.
Cons
I was never rewarded for doing outstanding work and saving this company a lot of money.