Beaufort County School District, SC Employee Reviews

A calling, not just a job.
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJuly 24, 2019
Working with students and staff is a calling, more than a job. The satisfaction of a successful student is very rewarding. Time with the family and work is very balanced and the staff is very helpful. A typical workday is from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm with summers off. The hardest part of the job is to witness some students not being successful.
Great work place, wonderful team.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJuly 21, 2019
Working at bluffton elementary has been an incredible experience. Great work place, wonderful team. I've meet some amazing people working there. I work in an environment where our children are our top priority.
After 10 years in this district I quit!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJuly 10, 2019
Teacher retention is a hot topic here in Beaufort County. In the news you will hear the district blame it on the "high cost of living". Well, I know a handful of ex teachers who still live in the area so it can't be just that! In reality, it's the stress placed on you as well as a culture of micromanagement, spending more time collecting "data" on the students than actually teaching, and overall high and unnecessary (did I already mention) stress, sprinkle in some psychopathic administration like the ones at Bluffton Elementary and you have a recipe for a horrid place to work

My suggestion, look at Jasper County or Chatham County, it's what I did, if you insist on living in this area. Heck, the car wash down the road from my house looks more enticing job wise compared to this district.

Bottom line: Stay away from the Beaufort County school district!
No thank you.
teacher (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCMarch 19, 2019
I left a great job to work at Beaufort because I wanted to work closer to my home town. Looking back, I wish I had commuted to work. This was the worst work experience ever.
Great place to wor if you have kids
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCMarch 18, 2019
If you have children and don't need a huge second income this is a great job. You have off all major holidays and all summer long. Great for young moms that want to spend quality time with their children.
Pros
Summers Off
Cons
Terrible Pay
In my opinion, it's the worst place in Beaufort County to work.
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCFebruary 27, 2019
My tip to anyone is seek employment elsewhere. Let this be your last line of defense. I love working with the children, I worked in the special needs classroom. My work was satisfying because I got to work with such a special group of children. But as for as the principles and superintendent and everyone at the Board of Education they were very unprofessional.
Pros
You get a pay check
Cons
No pay raises and expensive insurance coverage
Rewarding District
Assistant Principal and Principal (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCJanuary 21, 2019
This district is one that is more on the cutting edge in SC with regards to instructional technology for teachers and students. One-to-one devices, new flat panel boards in every classroom, and technology support.
Typical job in public school environment
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCOctober 28, 2018
Typical day at work involves morning hall duty, monitor class changes, monitor lunchroom. Teach 4-7 classes daily and use planning time. Staff meetings weekly. Parent-teacher meetings. Management included some favoritism. Workplace culture was mostly collaborative. The hardest part of the job was dealing with administration. The most enjoyable part of the job included generous budgeting for classroom needs and being able to teach creatively.
Pros
Generous classroom budget.
Cons
Favoritism.
Great work place located within a scenic location
System Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCOctober 21, 2018
As a System Support Specialist II in Beaufort County School District a typical day at work would consist of evaluating help desk tickets within the system and addressing pertinent issues as well as assisting System Support Specialist I's when necessary. While employed at BCSD I was able to broaden my skills as a manager in regards to delegating work to subordinates and dealing with employee issues as they arose. Either personal or work related. BCSD management was great to work for. They held meetings to keep people informed of developments and changes. Provided adequate training to staff to keep skills up to date. Hardest part of the job would consist of the distance between schools and having to travel between schools when problems occurred. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with students and seeing the smile and gratitude on their faces after you resolved an issue for them.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Humid Summers
Loved helping children
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCOctober 4, 2018
My typical day at work consist of helping children with ID's, attendance, and discipline records. Helping teachers with supplies ordering and mailing important documents to parents and other schools. I loved working with AP and staff - The hardest part of the job was consistency and fairness for all children. My most enjoyable part is watching children grow to young adults and graduating from high school.
Pros
Teamwork and summers off
Cons
unfair treatment for some students.
I love working as a substitute teacher
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Saint Helena Island, SCSeptember 5, 2018
My day at work in the school was excellent I really enjoy working with kids and helping them with there work. working with kids really makes me happy why cuz I have six kids of my own and grandkids.
Pros
Free lunch and breaks
Cons
the breaks was short
Stressful environment
Secondary English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCJuly 25, 2018
Working for the school district is very stressful. The planning time teachers get is not protected...it is filled with required meetings and professional development. High turnover rate. Students are not held accountable with academics or behavior.
Pros
School calendar, summers free
Cons
Poor benefits, cost of living in area is very high, not commensurate with salary
good education system
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCJuly 5, 2018
the district has over 40 schools. education is solid. pay is not meeting cost of living. with this large school district you would think it would fight more for providing affordable living arrangements to keep good educators.
Great Teaching Job
Music Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bluffton Elementary SchoolJune 24, 2018
This was a positive place of employment for me as a teacher. The Administration was extremely supportive and acknowledged abilities and gifts. Pay was fair and time off was available. Students in this school district were varied in ability and culture which allowed for a balanced demographic group of students.
Pros
Positive Administration, Great colleagues.
Cons
hours not flexible
I enjoyed my job at the Beaufort County School District
Substitute Teacher/Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCJune 20, 2018
Most of the teachers in the district were pleasant. The environment was clean and eye catching for the students. The incentives for the children appeared to work. I believe that they were creative and all about the children.
Pros
The teachers were great.
Cons
I would never go to a certian school because of how I was treated.
Principal
PRINCIPAL (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCJune 4, 2018
Though an extremely stressful job, Beaufort community members were some of the finest folks I ever worked with. Additionally, facilities in the district were very good for public schools in the south. It was a difficult time with changing leadership, shifting demographics and tight fiscal restraints. I believe the district is much better positioned now.
Pros
Large centralized district
Cons
at that time, rotating leadership at the top was problematic
productive workplace.
Special Needs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCMay 29, 2018
Enjoy my employment but have to relocate. The students and my co workers respected me. really relaxed but could get stressful at times. Great place to work.
Pros
summer off
Cons
not enough sick leave
Bookkeeper at an elementary shcool
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCMay 1, 2018
Loved my job at this school as Bookkeeper. The work environment was pleasant and comfortable. My principal, supervisor, was a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Great wrok environment.
Great company
Maintenance Technician/ Carpenter/Locksmith (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCApril 22, 2018
This company was a wonderful place to work. There was something different to do each day and plenty of room for advancement. The company provided a vehicle and an excellent benefits package. I would highly recommend Beaufort County School District.
substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, NCFebruary 26, 2018
Most of the questions asked about the school district do not apply to me. I was a substitute teacher, therefore, management wasn't really a factor. I moved from one school to another as needed. Pay for substitute teachers is pitiful.
Pros
part-time job
Cons
stressful work environmeny