Beaumont ISD

Beaumont ISD Employee Reviews

United States49 reviews
The typical is you start by preparing breakfast and serving the kids then your start preparing lunch and serving kids and at the end of your day starting cleaning and preparing breakfast for the next day
I was only there a few months. My team was helpful and supportive. I gained alot of experience in a short amount of time. A disproportionate amount of students with an array of behavioral issues caused classroom management problems. Management capitalized on it. My overall experience was undesirable. bubut
Small districts allow more things to get done. I enjoyed a smaller district because it allowed you to know most of the people that worked in the district.
I had a great management team at my last school. This team led to a productive and great environment to mold children's minds and to learn from your fellow employees. I was to continue my education by visiting other schools and implementing what I learned to fit my teaching and work style. This made my classroom into a structure and fun environment for the students to feel comfortable making mistakes and learning from their mistakes. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the light go off in the child's mind when they understood a component or technique that was taught in math class. The hardest part of the job was getting the students to understand that my classroom was different from what they were previously used too. That my classroom was a safe environment and they were welcomed to try out different techniques and methods. That I wasn't the type of teacher that would talk down to them since they were so ingrained in that style. My management skills for my classroom was type (almost ran in a military style - but a fun military style). I made to reward and offer positive reinforcements. I also ensured that real life scenarios was incorporated into my classroom. (All the students had jobs, received paychecks, had an online bank account, able to go to the bank to withdraw funds or move money to their savings accounts, paid bills and was able to go shopping.)
The students are rarely made accountable for their actions. Instead, students’ behaviors are almost always blamed on the teachers. Administration repeatedly looks for teachers to mess up rather than focus on the positives. Even after being promoted, it can easily be taken away without justification.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Depending on which campus, you will likely have a different experience. This district no longer was the district I originally worked in. Probably because of the money laundering and cheating, I thought I worked in a flourishing district. When TEA stepped in in 2014, things got worst for the children and district. All of the changes in upper admin, had a ripple effect, and it's inconsistencies made it hard to guide its students achievment. Growth oppotunities are more about who you know and what kind of alphabet you have in front/behind your name(Dr., M.ED), which does not mean you are qualified. The teachers in the trenches, usually know more. The students of the district are labeled: praised if they are from a nicely performing school and overlooked if their campus is struggling. The pay fails in comparison to neighboring districts.
It is not worth your sanity. Students are disrespectful and administration does nothing to curtail their behavior. You are on your own with a class of 35 plus.
This district does a horrible job placing competent people in management positions. Recent history includes embezzlement, ineptitude, and overall horrible decision making. The state has already taken over control of 3 campuses and plans to do more in the following years. School board was all removed several years ago due to overall incompetence and neglect. Many cases of theft and other illegal activities came to light once the state investigated.
subs are not valued the same as a certified teacher but put in the same amount of work or more than one. Subs do not get bonuses or benefits. The district should include some kind of incentive as the district is full of subs. The district should want to keep their subs because it looks like they can’t even keep certified teachers because these kids are out of control and walk around running schools. Every student should be put through a military class and learn some respect because we can’t control where they come from but we can control 8 hours of their day and we should try to mold them into respectful growing kids. If the district has subs putting in 20-60 hours a week or two they should treat them equally as teachers in the respect of bonuses and benefits. Without subs the district wouldn’t be able to function. If the district can’t even keep or get certified teachers then who will teach core and elective classes? How will schools stay afloat? Substitutes save your butt. So value them.
Pros
Giving back in the sense of teaching and molding the next generation
Cons
No benefits or bonuses, very low pay, and checks always messed up - missing pay
The kids run the show and good teachers are run off by these child bullies. The administration does not care and are completely focused on teaching for the test. Students do not care about the tests and sabotage themselves and then the teacher is blamed. The other teachers do care and try to help each other but there are cliques too who spread gossip and talk badly about the teachers and the students. Principals are ineffective and do not care about the teachers. We are told to handle problems ourselves and the referral system is a joke. Fights, cussing, screaming, and play fighting is commonplace among the students— Teachers yell because the kids don’t respond to anything else. It is the most stressful job I’ve ever had.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Discipline issues out of control
Having a reputation for extraordinary administrative skills can lead to salary increases and promotions.
Technology Skills. ...

Communication Skills. ...

Organizational Ability. ...

Written Expression. ...

Time Management. ...

Office Coordination. ...

Administrative Services. ...

Problem-Solving Skills.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No upward advancement
There are great educators in BISD. They go beyond the call of duty for many things to assist students. Sometimes the best candidate is not selected for the job or is not posted so all who are qualified can apply for the open position.
I am consistently working with students and or simultaneously planning for annual meetings. Paper work is excessive and there are annual updates pertaining to the function of the work place.
The problem with the job bat BISD was that what they said and what actually happened was two different things. AS an institution of education they did not really see the big picture of what students needed or the parents of the student. They did not encourage an atmosphere of helping and motivation.
Pros
Co-workers and benefits.
Cons
Management from the upper level down
My time at BISD was very educational as regard to administration and some staff members.

I was able to gain knowledge regarding education as new teacher.

I taught grade 7 and 8 which consisted of US History and Texas History. I had the pleasure of teaching six classes a day for 11 years at the same middle school. I truly enjoyed teaching Pre-ap students as well as regular students.

I was given the opportunity to attend workshops that gave me the skills and ability to be a very good teacher. It was a great experience for me and my students. In the 2013, was nominated for the Reaud Award.

Becoming a teacher was my utmost dream, I was able to accomplished it.
Pros
Teaching Pre-ap students and exploring the education world.
I was a Spanish Teacher, teaching Spanish I and II. I had to make
2 sets of lessons plans per week. Students were very nice and respectful. I enjoyed working there because this is the high school I graduated from.
My day began at 7:00 with preparations. It ended when I finished for the day, sometimes as late as 9:00. I taught 3 classes of English and Reading to 84 4th grade students for 7 years, and 1st grade class of 24 students for 6 years (all subjects). Bmt. ISD

I learned that dealing with parent's children is a lot like dealing with people's money. They both take patience, good management, hard work and focus.

The diverse cultures in my different jobs have proven to be helpful in dealing with all peoples. It is important to be able to relate to all cultures positively and with respect.

The hardest part of any job is communication. I am well versed in English and have excellent communications skills. I listen well and do not mind going the extra mile for people.

Dealing with people to me is the most enjoyable part of any job. It may not always be easy, but I enjoy turning a negative into a positive for both my employers and the people I deal with.
Pros
Holidays off with my children, which are all grown now.
Cons
taking work home every night.
Let me get this out of the way and say that there are some very good people working for BISD, most of whom are staff. Management/Administration, on the other hand, leave a lot to be desired. In many positions throughout the district they put the most incompetent people in charge. Almost zero accountability from the superintendent on down. If they can screw you over, chances are they will and chances are they'll get away with it. Word to the wise, don't cross swords with anybody who is a member of a certain large church in Beaumont. Many of the administration go there and they've got a stranglehold on that place. Pay was good, time off even better, but they don't care one iota about your personal or family life in spite of saying that they do. The corruption that was rampant at that place is still there, it's just hidden a little better now.
Pros
Pay was good, time off, very good co-workers
Cons
Unbelievably incompetent supervisors, lack of concern for employees wellbeing/family life
This is a great company to work for and you will enjoy each day that you arrive on campus. I had several teams I worked with and we formed bonds that I will always cherish. The work place is fast paced and you will learn a lot in record time. You will have a great team to work with. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Education never stops
Cons
short breaks
Bisd has long been known for its many deceptive practices such as cheating, embezzlement of funds, and various other ethics and moral violations. They are notorious for presenting a student centered and children focused environment that is everything but that. Instead you have various cliques and friends that promote favoritism and loyalty to many personal agendas and misleading datat that falsely represent the school districts true performance.
Pros
Flexible with time off
Cons
Leadership lacks people skills
The STAAR testing required by the state of Texas made it somewhat stressful. Everything we did was based on standardized testing. After 30 years in this field I am ready for something else.