Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work for and advancement opportunities
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMarch 29, 2018
I enjoyed working at BMPC. The work was interesting and over the years I worked in many different departments; both technical and administrative. I was able to learn various new skills and apply them to my job throughout the years. I was given great responsibility and very creative opportunities to share my skills. The most enjoyable part of my job were the people I worked with and the variety of responsibilities I had.
Stable but rigid
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  PAMarch 12, 2018
Tough place to work after spending 10 years in industry IT support. Very stable job with good pay and benefits but the program culture is tough due to the type of work they undertake and the customer demands. Learned a ton while employed here but most of it is related to how they do business. Had many management issues with being told/reassured of something only to have that negated. I lost faith that I could trust what was being relayed from management.
Pros
Good pay and benefits, great vacation
Cons
Culture, management
Can be frustrating
Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PADecember 13, 2017
Can be frustrating to get any work done. Due to nature of security clearance, very challenging (time-wise) to get in and company is reluctant at best to let anyone go, so the bad apples can stay and rot.
Great place to work if you don't mind being disconnected from your phone/social media
Multi-disciplined engineer (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAOctober 26, 2017
I absolutely love working here. You can't bring your cell phone on site, which can make some people feel a bit disconnected. I actually enjoy it since I don't have the distractions of silly conversations throughout the day (if it's important, people know my work number).

The company loves training their employees, and I love taking advantage of any training class that I think may help me do my job better. Not only are technical training classes offered, but tons of professional development courses. The company runs the site much like a college campus with clubs and volunteer activities.

Because the facilities are involved with cradle to grave operations of naval reactors, there's a wide variety of jobs available. I have coworkers who bounce around from department to department every several years or so.

There's also the choice of working a 9/80 schedule, which is great! I love having every other Friday off. Part time employment is also available. I had a coworker who was working part time for a couple of years prior to retirement, and many women I sit near have stated that they worked part-time for a year or so after child birth.

Everyone I work with is always extraordinarily helpful. I was given a technical mentor from day one and have since gotten a couple more mentors for different aspects of my career, professional, and personal development. My manager (and management chain) are incredibly supportive of my work and are willing to stand behind sound engineering recommendations that I may make, even if the customer is not happy about them.

My salary
  more... was slightly below average, but that was fine for me. Industry jobs typically demand significant casual OT work, whereas most positions in BMPC do not require any casual OT. Here, I actually get paid for my time. I would be lying if I said there was absolutely no casual OT since most every engineering job demands OT at some point, but it is very minimal. Depending on your manager, sometimes you can even leave earlier another day if you stayed late a couple of hours. The company is moving to increasingly more flexible schedules, which has been useful. I have been able to take my "every other Friday off" on a Wed. if I had needed it.

Benefits are great too. They offer multiple health plans, with FSAs and HSAs depending on what you enroll in. If you enroll in a HDHP, the company will place a couple hundred dollars into the account at the beginning of the year and upon completion of a wellness program, place even more in towards the tail end of the year. There is a 401k (with 4% match), CAP, dental, vision, life insurance as well as tuition reimbursement.
Pros
9/80 schedule, flexible start, benefits, HSA contributions, challenging work
Cons
you may feel a bit isolated from time to time
Good Job for the Right Person
Advanced Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 28, 2017
A very steady, secure job. Interesting work but it can get repetitive. A lot of revising old designs rather than trying to innovate something new. Definitely behind the times in terms of a modern workplace. Work life balance is great. I only work more than 40 hours if we are approaching a major deadline. Pay is OK, but definitely less than the market average. They try make up for it with generous PTO time.
Pros
Job Security, Work life balance
Cons
Salary, Takes too long to do work
Too Fast Paced and Bad Work/Life Balance
Reactor Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 5, 2017
I do not like working at this location. The environment is incredibly stressful, and the work schedule is awful. The schedule is a shift work position. Most of the time that you spend "off" is utilized to change you sleep schedule and not to enjoy with family/friends. Most of you management work 9/80 while you work a bad shift.
Good Place To Start a Career.
Material Coordinator Lead (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYApril 3, 2017
Overall good place to work. This company does some amazing things for there customers. You get 3 weeks of vacation starting out. And 4 weeks after 3 years.
Pros
Every other Friday Off
Cons
Longer Work Days
Poor job satisfaction, incompetent mgmt, good pay/benefits and balance
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDMarch 28, 2017
Get up early (5am), ride the bus (not paid for our facility) or drive for an hour to the site, work a 9/80 schedule (every other Friday off), you get out what you put in for the most part. Many employees are older and very lazy/apathetic, which increases the work load for hard workers. 40 hour work weeks (flex time, OT is available if you need it). Managers often make decisions based strictly on oversight pressure (which includes the Naval presence at the facility) and political expediency, which is demoralizing for deckplate workers and engineers. Good talent uses the revolving door, new engineers often leave when their contract is up (1 year minimum stay required if the company relocated you, or else moving fees must be repaid). Facility not on any cutting edges, much of the equipment is older and usually in need of maintenance.

Great place for engineers to knock out an internship or a 3-5 year stint. Movement into management means you're stuck and are probably a "yes" man. If you don't have a degree this place rocks, they will pay you more than anywhere else for the work.
Pros
Pay and benefits, great area with access to outdoors, work life balance
Cons
Poor management, extremely high levels of obstructive oversight, lots of confusing administrative rules, fellow employees complain and are lazy
Job description My job is rewarding but I'm looking for a change so I can support my daughters needs. I willing to talk about my Current job. I work
Nuclear Worker Technician (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDFebruary 26, 2017
My job is rewarding but I'm looking for a change so I can support my daughters needs. I willing to talk about my Current job. I work with nuclear fuel so my job is challenging at times but is very rewarding. I can use my skills with many different jobs.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Travel distance
Never again
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYFebruary 5, 2017
This was far the worst management staff I've ever worked for. another government program full of waist of resources. Half of the employees are over paid and the other half are under paid.
Pros
none unless you like working in a prison
Bmpc
Senior Reactor and Refueling Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJanuary 28, 2017
This company provides great job security. They support the US Navy in the design, operation, and training of sailors for their nuclear fleet, including submarines and aircraft carriers. However, they are overseen by Naval Reactors (NR). NR tolerates only one methodology; their methodology. If they want something to happen, BMPC will do it, or lose their contract. It is sometimes hard for them to understand that BMPC is a private company, outside of the military chain of command.
so-so
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 5, 2016
micro management

work-life balance is really good.

unique culture

it is hard to make a friend here

not good for singles

good environment for family
Great stability, good benefits, very slow advancement but great learning opportunites
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 4, 2016
A couple of really good notes. It may take awhile to get into but once you have started working there the job security is extremely stable as long you adhere to their safety and security policies. They work a 9/80 schedule and allow to flex your time very easily. Except for extenuating circumstances, management will allow you to flex your time so the work/life balance is very nice. The pay/benefits are better than average for the area especially considering the changes happening to our current medical system. The paid/medical time off is exceptional. The nature of the work is very interesting and well funded. The culture is nice and there are very good growth and development opportunities. There are many talented people. It is a very nice environment to grow and learn and become an expert if interested.

A couple of bad notes: The biggest complaint is usually about management. The atmosphere and structure is extremely conservative with changes only every coming from upper management. First line managers seem to be stuck in the middle and usually have very little authority. It is a very slow paced atmosphere. Safety and security can become overwhelming and procedures are always changing making them difficult to keep up with. Positions always seem to be changing around you. Newer employees are usually looked at like it is their first job no matter how much industry experience they have. Once you are hired, advancement in position is extremely slow. They company has recently placed minimums on advancement progression and have limited the ability to obtain advancement by switching
  more... positions. Top technical positions take on a lot of responsibility but also place a lot of work on others. Top positions are usually reserved for advanced degrees on the exempt side or life long employees on the non-exempt side no matter how much technical ability or responsibility a person has.

The atmosphere can be laid back one minute and act like the sky is falling down the next, making it a very interesting and often entertaining place to work. All in all it is a very nice stable company to spend your career and see some pretty great/interesting things but not recommended for the highly motivated looking to make lots of money or change the world.
Poor business culture relying on past excellence
Senior Materials Engineer (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 7, 2016
The business culture is dragging what was once a great place to work into the unfortunate mire of engineers thinking they can read a book and do it better than others. They don't consult externally to learn what the industry is doing and as a result they have the management structure of a leading edge company of 1972.
Pros
Job stability . . . for now
Cons
Poor managment, poor development, poor compensation
This company has great job security but for most people no opportunity to advance in the company.
systems analyst (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IdahoJanuary 12, 2016

You are away from your house for 12 hours a day, but only get paid for 9 of them.

The management is great at delegating work to others and you will be constantly fighting fires instead of doing what you had planned to work on.
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
having to take time off to go to doctors office.
Used to be great, hasn't kept up
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 20, 2015
KAPL used to be an elite place to work "back in the day". They haven't kept up with workplace culture, management training, business practices, or technology. As a result you step back into 1985 when you start work. Promotion is not based on potential or demonstrated skill, but rather how much time you've put in. Managers drive with sticks and have no carrots due to government budget cuts. Salaries are not comparable to outside companies, can be up to 30% under. And don't forget to leave your cell phone, iPod, and FitBit in your car so you don't get a security infraction!
Pros
Difficult to get fired
Cons
Poor culture, bad management, low pay
Challenging
Nurse Office Manager (Former Employee) –  PAJune 19, 2015
Opportunity to learn new methods of patient care available. Work in conjunction with safety and hygiene required. Travel was very interesting. Very little computer charting utilized in department. No support from Administrative Assistant.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Lack of secretarial assistance.
Very structured 'good old boys club'
Business Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Milton, NYApril 16, 2015
Get everything in writing. If you are not a good fit for the company culture, you get all of the grunt work while your skill set decreases and technology passes you by.
Good Place to work and grow
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYMarch 27, 2015
Work is very interesting. The people who work here are very intelligent. Management can be overbearing and can sometimes impede the progress of work but in general, they are working towards the best and growth of the team.
Decent Work Environment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  PittsburghMarch 4, 2015
Alternate 9/80 Work schedule
Security restrictions some times limit work.
Good mix of departments