Bed Bath & Beyond Employee Reviews

Found 5,001 reviews matching the search See all 5,225 reviews
Advancement and Competitive, fun environment
Store Management (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 8, 2018
Very competitive but fun environment, a lot of learning for management and advancement thru daily assignments and accomplishments including modules assignments. The company hired different cultures to manned the sales floor. Lack of trainings in some point, would be the only confusions that newly hired associate can encounter in carrying their assigned assignments. The fun environment and the awards/rewards is part of the enjoyable working experience and the many friends that was established during my tenure.
Pros
Rewards/Awards with monetary, Letters of Appreciations
Cons
Managements experiencing long hours and limited time off during Winter Holidays.
poor management
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  1932 BroadwayOctober 19, 2018
Lazy manegers, you will work way harder than management. All managers sit in the office on their phones or gossiping while you are out on the floor working hard. There is no room for growth they promote the people based on time instead of hard work you have to work three plus years to even be considered for a promotion even if you work harder than the people thats been there longer than you. The racist store manager that is very indirect and not a good leader. The poor salary is not enough to live off of. You are over worked because they don't expect you to have a life. Mangers who do less than you make more than you make more than you supervisors included so you will find yourself underpaid and under stress.
benefits
Cons
over worked and under paid
Nice for entry level positions
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTOctober 28, 2018
Bed Bath & Beyond is great for entry level workers. Once you reach the Manager role their is limited chances for advancement. Recently their were several roles opened in Senior Management level roles which were mostly filled by outside candidates. As for managers their no on going coaching to help them improve as the senior managers have limited experience within the company. The culture however is great for entry level employees as they offer bonus programs, benefits, and PTO. They also do hold activities to boost morale.
Pros
Pto, medical benefits, discount
Cons
High Turnover rate
Do not work here
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCDecember 18, 2018
I was a customer service associate and occasional cashier. It was alright at first, everyone was pretty nice, though the teaching was very inefficient and the managers barely took part in it, other employees had to step up to make sure I was trained. There was hardly any room for advancement, and if advancement was mentioned they then did an intense run around about training for new positions. They would sometimes even alter schedules without telling people, then reprimand you when you didn't show up without knowing the changes. After a year of working there they gave me a whopping 25 cent raise. Not to mention the fact that any grievances or major issues that were happening were basically ignored by store management until you were so desperate you brought them up with a regional manager.
Pros
20% off
Cons
No advancement, Poor Management, Bad scheduling
Learned so much from here and met many great people
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLJanuary 17, 2019
The environment was rather nice. I had many great coworkers and gained a couple friends from there. Within the sales associates and cashiers, we were basically one big family/team. The only problem I had there was management was never stable. I had about five different managers for my department in just one year. Because of that, things were always messed up and mixed around in the department. I'm not sure if they still do it now but from back when I was working there, they base your raise on the current manager's review of you. On my one year review, the manager at the time had only been working there for a month or two. She did not know me at the time and for some reason, she didn't like me whatsoever. Because of that, I did not get a raise. It was so unfair. Even previous managers said I was doing a great job and I was one of their favorites.
Pros
discount
Cons
management
The people i worked with made working there worth it.
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCDecember 1, 2018
Working at Bed Bath and beyond was fun. With the constant changing of the seasons and having to change our seasonal section a lot it could be stressful because upper management comes in and complains about the store not realizing it is in the middle of a transition that they wanted. But the Store managers are nice and strict. Which are great qualities for management. You have to get things done. Associates are cool once we all started working together. It helps the store flow nicely. Sometimes you have to do things because others did not want to and it can be stressful.
Pros
If you work hard you can move up, more hours because of call outs
Cons
No benefits besides discounts, put up with peoples slack, call outs are high, short staffed at times
Run away
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAJanuary 17, 2019
The job is fast paced however the are completely short staffed all the time and customers notice and always need assistance but there is never enough staff because sales associates are pulled up to the front because there aren’t any cashiers. Management purposely ignores availability for scheduling and makes it your problem if you are scheduled for a shift that they knew you couldn’t work. I was full time and was only given part time hours. No room for advancement. They train you to work in all departments so that if there is an issue with staffing they can pull you from your department, ex: warehouse employees called to cashier, or work customer service, as opposed to them actually hiring people. And employees are overworked so a lot of them come in cranky and tired.
Pros
Great employee sales from time to time
Cons
Discount is same for customers, short staffed, bad pay, poor benefits, unsupportive management, horrible scheduling, poor retention
Production Centered Workplace
Area Department Manager, Replenishment (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVDecember 18, 2018
- Management, Leadership and Development of personnel
- Customer Satisfaction is company's #1 priority
- Daily work instill great pride in both Managers as well as Team Members
- Learning more skills/managerial styles every day
- Workplace culture lends itself to be ever-evolving to whatever the associate creates
- Most difficult part of the job is when challenges arise not previously encountered
- Most enjoyable part of the job occurs when all teams come together as one to ensure customer satisfaction remains at its optimal proficiency
Pros
Employee Benefits, Great Senior Management
Cons
Long Peak Season Hours and Additional Work Days
Typical retail job, with little room for advancement if under a certain age (no matter experience). Employees and culture good, but poor management.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZDecember 10, 2018
There is always something to do. It is the typical "if you have time to lean, you have time to clean" type of working. Coworkers are generally nice, but management tends to be juvenile and occasionally unreasonable. Many roles at the same time, such as being customer service oriented always, and needing knowledge of most general products in order to inform customers and to up-sell/close sales. Obtaining orders within the location constantly striven for (although there is no compensation for this type of sale). It is difficult to advance unless manager suggests it, and it is still quite rare (especially for the younger demographic of employees). Job includes a lot of lifting and repetitive motions (so much so, that employees tend to develop tendinitis).
Pros
20% entire purchase discount
Cons
Short breaks, no overtime, little room for advancement, etc.
Bed Bath and Beyond was a very busy place, but the pay was good
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJOctober 31, 2018
At typical day at work: We had truck everyday and replenished all day and every night. The department manager must have multiple and daily walk-throughs to keep the store picture perfect. I've learned a lot about products knowledge; an employee should've been able to educate any customer of any item in the store to convince him or her to purchase it, which was also beneficial to us. We also learned about merchandising, bridal registry, ordering, and much more. Workplace Culture: It was a bit hectic to socialize with each other even during breaks because we'd always be too tired or hungry, or breaks seemed short. the salary employees were paid Chinese overtime after 50 hours. I liked the company's yearly raises and boxes of chocolate during Valentine's day, the employee discount, and the exclusive merchandise discount.
Pros
Yearly increased pay
Cons
Short breaks and Chinese overtime pay (salary employees).
Poor Management, and no Growth Opportunity
Customer Service Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLOctober 5, 2018
The location I worked at was not good for growth or to move up. They underpay for the amount of work they have employees doing. There were no raises even when you’re supposedly moving into a higher position, and there is no proper training from management when moving into a supervisor role or different position in general. The management was not enthusiastic, productive, or helpful. Some workers get away with avoiding their work and putting it on other people, and there were a lot of unwelcoming attitudes which made for an unhealthy work environment. I would never recommend working here.
Cons
Management, no growth opportunities, overworking
Fairly balanced work/life
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 5, 2018
A typical day is working with customers on the sales floor to ensure they find what they need as well as completing tasks. The company has a well rounded training program for all departments that includes extensive product knowledge, advanced customer service techniques, and management training. The open door policy is great and management is approachable. After a while you begin to feel as if you are working with family. The hardest part is getting advancement opportunities.
Pros
Friendly work environment, great benefits for full time staff
Social atmosphere that is not overbearing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 13, 2019
A typical day at BBB would include arriving at 7 AM to restock shelves, and then opening at 9 and working on the floor as a sales associate and in customer assistance. The management there was very good overall and they ran a fairly smooth ship. The best and worst parts of the job go hand in hand. The customers that you deal with on a day to day basis can make your day better, or just bring you down a bit with how they act. Enjoyable overall!
Pros
Meals provided on occasion
Cons
short break at lunch and little pay raise.
Poor Overall
Associate Soft Home Designer / Print Designer (Former Employee) –  Union, NJ 07083October 25, 2018
I'm seeking better opportunities. It's a great place to work as a stepping stone, as in for a student or someone seeking supplemental income as a part time associate. Job work/life balance, healthcare benefits, management, and culture are poor. Everyone is overworked and stressed. The culture is best described as rank and file employees are part of an expendable herd.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
All about management
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FL And Waterford LakesJanuary 14, 2019
I worked at 2 locations for Bed Bath+Beyond. The work is fast paced but it's not overbearing. The first location was great even though the customers were annoying, work companions make the day go by quicker. The second location made me sick. I wanted to call out every day as the management made my life a living he||. It can be a great job depending on management. Beware.
Pros
20% discount on everything in store and online
Cons
30Cent raise per year MAX, inconsistent hours, bad management.
Depended on how you fit in
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  , FLNovember 15, 2018
Overall good company, very competitive salary at the time, however Management was very clique and if you found yourself on the outside there was no returning, they did treat there externally brought in employees better then their part time help for sure.
Pros
competative pay decent benifits
Cons
did you click with management or not more than results based advancement
If there were only a way to give negative stars
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 17, 2018
Worst place I've ever worked. The District manager always dressed like a bum and was probably the worst I've ever encountered in my 20 plus retail career. Work-life balance was terrible and they treat you like garbage. My co-workers were the only saving grace.
Pros
discount
Cons
terrible upper management, terrible culture
Company does not care fore their employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2018
This used to be a fun place to work but within the last few years it turned into a chaotic work environment. I will say there is room for advancement but it's at your own risk. There isn't much training, you are expected to learn on your own. If you do ask for help you are ignored and the looked down on. Management as well as district management need training in people skills. This company focuses more on customers than their own employees. Customers know they can get away with anything so alot treat employees like garbage and management will not stick up for employees at all. Internal problems are ignored by upper management and you are expected to just look the other way at times. Policies change without any communication or compromise. The more you "complain" the worse you are treated no matter how good of any employee you are.
Pros
Some flexibility, benefits
Cons
No training, no communication, bad management, no loyalty to employees
Horrible place/ No cultural equality
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ocoee, FLJanuary 10, 2019
This call center is horrible, managment is horrible and the customers are also horrible.
Lets just say that if a customer harasses you for your ethnicity, insults you and tries to escalate, the horrible management at Bed Bath and Beyond will do absolutely nothing to help you, even if you try to de-escalate the call, they will still scold you for taking too long and if you tell them that the customer was racist and rude, they will still blame you for not keeping them happy.
Bilingual employees dont get any compensation and end up doing double the work, oh and not be appreciated in doing so, the company takes and takes and if you try to do a difference, they will shut you down. The call center I used to work in, was the one located in Occoee Florida.
Pros
Cons
Everything you can think of.
Poor Overall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2018
Pros
Potential for advancement
Cons
Work/life balance, healthcare benefits, management, and culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bed Bath & Beyond. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K
41.7K
31.4K

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss