Behavioral Health Network, Inc. Employee Reviews

A lot of back stabbers
Cook (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 24, 2017
In my unit there was a lot of back-stabbers. other employees were gunning for my job because it was full time. They tried to set me up for lousy conditions. When I fist got there half the kitchen was out of order.
Pros
having a job
Cons
the pay and work conditions
Residential Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 9, 2017
A typical day at BHN was very calm. Working with the elderly was great. Seeing smiles on their faces because they knew they had someone there to help them. Cooking, cleaning, bathing, being a companion and keeping the individuals safe. I would bring individuals to doctors appointments. I learned that everyone has a struggle and everyone always need a support system. I loved working one on one with my client during the day. It was easier. The most enjoyable part was being able to help the individuals. T hardest part was when people from others shifts would not complete their jobs.
A great place to get started in substance abuse treatment services
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, MAMarch 7, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working with client's in recovery. BHN provided good vacation, holiday, sick time, and personal days that were paid. The staff, although under staffed, got along well and worked as a team.
Pros
Paid days off, free meals if there were extras, paid trainings
Cons
understaffed, inconsistent schedule
A brief Synopsis
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 26, 2017
The agency is dedicated to serving the population of individuals with developmental, and, or mental health disabilities. Sadly, the "turn-over" rate of employees (Residential program) is high, for several reasons. Overall, from my experience with this agency, salary, and employee rights/protection may need to be enhanced, for it is limited compared to unionized agencies. In regards to the workplace culture, it can vary from residence to residence. I would note the most enjoyable part of the job is the "customer service" aspect, whereas you help individual obtain their goals or access services to their benefit.The most challenging part of the job for me is when you are on a "team" with an individual who exhibits behavior that eludes to a lack of integrity, self-control, diplomacy (when required), and a basic level of organization. In regards, to management then the hire-fire rate for the Residential program is high, for various reasons as stated above, and there may be some issues with training record keeping.Overall, it's an opportunity to assist another diverse population group and enhance your communication skills.
Pros
The ability to obtain licenses.
Cons
Some issues with record keeping (training's).
New Adventure for Behavioral Health Network
Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, MAJanuary 27, 2017
Behavioral Health Network is an excellent company to work for. Our days at work are busy, but valued by our supervisor. Management full fills the needs of their employees.
Positive enviornment
Lead Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 16, 2017
Love to work in a positive , caring group environment. Organization very important, opened minded. At the end of a work day a thank you and or a smile makes my day.
you deal with client's that has been effect hardest, by the opaite epdemic
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 27, 2016
stressful job, but the reward of helping others' get better is worth it. It takes compassion and caring to deal with the clients we serviced. I always say "don't take the work home with you".
Pros
interact with all people
Cons
na
Behavioral Health Network
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 16, 2016
I love working with people and at this job I got to interact with people everyday. I took care of individuals with disabilities. I enjoyed hearing their stories about their past. The hardest part was hearing about how some of their previous living situations prior to coming to BHN.
Excellent company
Counselor and Lead Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 5, 2016
BHN provides excellent employee services and benefits. The company cares about the programs and goes out of their way to ensure employee satisfaction.
Lacking respect for workers.
RN (Former Employee) –  Liberty StreetSeptember 6, 2016
Upper management low ball state contracts and pay workers poorly, while upper management get paid exhorbitantly. They squeeze the middle management and don't provide adequate resources to do a good job. Then, they blame the managers and front line staff when contract goals fall short. When staff are able to provide good results, they are not recognized for the work that they do. They are less than truthful in providing services that they are contracted to do. They have no respect for registered nurses and do not know how to utilize their skills. If you are an RN, stay away! You will not be treated with fairly or as a professional.
Pros
Good front line staff
Cons
Poor upper management.
To much drama
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 30, 2016
there is too much going on in the residential homes. no one is on the same page and supervisors do not communicate with their staff. they have a lot of work to do
Company with good intentions...
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 25, 2016
but the management is poor. People who try to make a better difference for the company and voice their opinions or suggestions get ignored. It is not a bad company to work for, AT ALL, but the staff hired should be a lot more friendlier and respectful.
benefits
Cons
Pay raises are rare
Great Pay and Benefits
Budget and Contracts Manger (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 24, 2016
Great pay and benefits, tough place to work at times. Diversified group of people. Management really knows what they are doing.
good place to work
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 16, 2016
Meet a lot of great people and learned a lot.Hardest part of the job is feeling like you cannot help a client right away. Answered a lot of phone calls and transferred to the right department.
Pros
meet a lot of good people
Cons
Not enough time to finish all paperwork.
Experience
Outreach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 30, 2016
This job has given me many experiences that I might not have otherwise had. I have had a mix of positives and negatives from this job.
Very poor work environment
In-Home Therapy Clinician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 25, 2016
Incredibly poor management and negative work environment. The prime concern is productivity with no regard to supporting employees in self-care and encouraging advancement within the agency.

The work culture fosters burn out in clinicians.

You will have the opportunity to work with very diverse and challenging populations which builds clinical knowledge.
Pros
Work with diverse populations and exposure to varied mental health challenges/diagnoses
Cons
Poor mgmt, lack of advancement opportunity, low pay, work many hours
No advancement opportunitities
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJune 16, 2016
Unless you are fee for service, you will have productivity. That means that you have to see a certain amount of clients per day. Is something that is possible but for the amount of pay is not worth it.
Pros
Fee for service
Cons
pay
BHN is a decent place to work
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 24, 2016
I have enjoyed my years working in the substance abuse field through BHN. The employees all work well together and step up as needed.
Pros
Cons
Some days are more difficult than others but worth it.
Do not work there
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAApril 10, 2016
I always had to do work from home while off the clock. They are NOT for people with a family. While I enjoyed working with some people they are however no long employed with the company. The turnover rate is high and the pay is low. Work load is excessive.
Run as fast as you can!
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 6, 2016
I have worked in a variety of positions at BHN and no matter what level I have been at, I've been treated like dirt. Not only is the management horrible, pay is barely above minimum but they also do things illegally. There have been several shifts I have worked on and also heard from other staff that, where they were out of ratio meaning, two little staff for how many clients were home. Not only is this not providing the best care for the individuals but it makes it completely overwhelming and unsafe for the staff member. They also have repeatedly done poorly on state run audits, mostly due to the fact that they do everything half a** or are completely behind in the times, until about 3-4 months before the audit is supposed to happen so all staff have to work insane overtime (which for management you don't get paid overtime) just to meet a substandard level. Residents are given mediocre care at the best times due to BHN's inability to provide adequate care and hire professional and competent staff. The majority of the staff, including management, that work there are undereducated and desperate for some type of job. The few handfuls of people who actually know what they are doing, leave rather quickly when they see BHN's true colors. In addition, they are also completely behind technologically speaking, and still use all paper records and do not have a cohesive way of doing things across different locations. If you actually go to a good agency, you would see an electronic organizing system and more structure. Finally, one of BHN's biggest flaws is the way they structure their  more... organization. The staff are in the house with the residents and the house coordinator (who runs that house) is completely separate in the office with other upper management. This creates lack of accessibility, communication and organization. In the majority of group homes, especially those that are organized and run properly, a house manager and coordinator have an office inside the home. The rest of the upper management are located in a central office. Because of their strange organizational setup, staff slack off, constantly run late, provide inadequate care, rarely speak to their coordinator, the houses are unorganized, coordinators don't know their residents like they should, etc. and does BHN care? Absolutely not. They run subpar car, on minimal dollars while completely overworking and overwhelming their poorly chosen staff. Before filling out an application for BHN just think, do I want to work for an organization that doesn't care about me or the people they serve?  less
Pros
Working with the residents
Cons
Expensive healthcare, little pay, management, organizational structure, lack of good benefits, schedule, treatment of staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Behavioral Health Network, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.