Bel Group Employee Reviews

Great Culture with plenty of training
Production Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDOctober 30, 2018
I received the best training of anywhere I have worked while working at Bel. The management at startup was great, everyone learned from everyone else. Solid company.
Pros
Paid breaks and generous lunchtime, safe
Cons
Lack of advancement for Supply Chain and Warehouse personnel
It was a fun job and very understanding.
P/T Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2018
I was working from home. A very flexible job. No restrictions and not very demanding. Loved that job, most likely, I will never find another job like it. It no longer exists in the USA!
Pros
Free flexibility working from home!
Cons
N/a
Productive & fun work environment
Co-Packer/Inventory Processor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2018
Had a great manager who was patient and willing to teach anything unknown. Extremely fun place to work as the staff here made it a better place to work. Also have French lessons if interested.
Pros
Very competitive and fun place
Cons
Commute from suburbs to the city
good pay and benefits, good people and environment to work in
Warehouse Key Operator (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDSeptember 5, 2018
I liked working at Bel, you are put on day or night shift, no rotating. I like the people I worked with and the company culture. They did activities and extra things for the employees.
Pros
Paid breaks, paid company uniforms
Cons
12 hour shifts
Working at Bel
Finance Specialist - current (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SDJune 9, 2018
A typical work day is very much the same everyday except during month end and year end when it is a little busier than normal. At Bel there are many opportunities to learn and advance skills within your department and the management is very willing to help you to advance your skills and knowledge. The workplace culture is average, most everyone is friendly and pleasant to work with on a daily basis. There are no difficult or hardest parts of the job at Bel because if any issues arise there is always someone willing to help to resolve the issues. The best or most enjoyable part of the job at Bel is knowing that when the day is done everything was completed timely and accurately.
Fun
Sr. Project Manager, Industrial Strategy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2018
Good Company to work for, have a good work life balance, need to have a good management, very french and need to diverse more. solid in process, good culture and fun people
Great place to work if you are hard working
Cheese Prep (Former Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYMarch 26, 2018
Great company, great people working there. The pay was great. It was a tough job, but once you get the hang of it it will get a lot easier. You always start out as a temp. After your 3 months you are ableto get on full time through the company.
Instability and Management Disconnect
Lead (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDJanuary 17, 2018
Comparable compensation and excellent benefits.
There was a good deal of instability in organization... Lots of responsibilities from vacant positions left unfilled and rolled into existing employees without advancement or promotion. It just appears on a revised job description. While advancement is likely at lower levels (Operator to Lead/Supervisor), most advancement appears to come at upper levels. Always seemed like a manager was being promoted to Sr. and up, while leads and supervisors often got more responsibility to shoulder. Culture and workplace environment is good, but can have too many rules and regulations at times. Management needs to work on the disconnect between Sr. Management and the workforce.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Management Disconnect
Good compensation
Shipping and Receiving Operator (Current Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYJanuary 30, 2018
Bel Group has excellent benefits and competitive pay across the board. Friendly work environment that keeps a good balance of work and home with its employees
Pros
paid time off, health benefits
Cons
stressful, lots of audits
Treats Employees Poorly
Production Lead (Current Employee) –  Brookings, SDJune 26, 2016
The management team at the Brookings plant doesn't care about the production staff, particularly the night shift. The management team is unwilling to compromise on even the smallest things. They have also lied repeatedly to the staff promising an expansion that was supposed to happen this year, higher wages that aren't materializing, and have been taking away benefits. Events and changes are seldom communicated. They lowered the expected pay rate for salaried employees after one of their most successful years. If they are willing to lower pay on a good year, imagine what a bad year is like.
Cons
They don't listen or care
Bel Is a good place to work
Mini Wax Senior Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYMay 6, 2014
Working at Bel was challenging and also rewarding. We did not have
a 3 shift work schedule so some days we would work more hours than others and some days would be less hours. They had good
manage support group so problems could be solved fairly quick.
One of the great things about Bel was the product was very popular.
The Company had several dinners and outings for the employees which kept the morale up. .After I became a manager I understood
how much responsibility a supervisor has and until someone actually does that job they will never know, All in All it was a good place to work.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Long hours at times which can be a good thing if you like overtime.
A good paying job
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYAugust 13, 2013
It was a great place to work but I took off to take my daughter to the doctor and forgot the work excuse and when they wanted the work excuse the doctor wouldn't give it to me because I waited too long to get it and they wouldn't let me come back until I had one so it caused me to point out. It was a food cheese plant, so you had to sanitize everything. Be very neat and clean. I learned to do everything they wanted to do my job properly. Management were nice. Other co-workers were ok just like anywhere else, you got some that are eager to learn and some just didn't care. The enjoyable part of the job was getting paid.
The company is not what it used to be.
Volma specialist/grandi operator (Current Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYDecember 15, 2014
I get up at 2 am cst. I clock in at 320 am put my uniform on and sanitize. We start producing cheese at around 330. Everyday something breaks we need mechanics. Our production is fallen so we have to make up the loss however we can. Hardest part of the job is getting up in the middle of the night. Our management is has changed over the years from new plant manager to new human resourses everything has changed in the last 3 years. I haven't enjoyed working there since the downsize, and I lost my job and was moved to the other side where I work now.
Pros
good pay
Cons
health care has diminished, and to strict on vacation time
Great place until you need them to have your back
Temp (Former Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYDecember 8, 2016
I worked there for 2 months and had a finger tip smashed off in one of their unsafe machines, they kept me on for another 6 months and the first opportunity they got they suspended me without pay so I couldn't draw unemployment. They treat temps like trash while full time employees are allowed to stand around talking. I didn't miss a single day until my injury, and I was out for 2 days and came back. I was supposed to be on light duty and was put back to my regular duties before my time because they couldn't keep employees because they treat them like they aren't people. I loved my job until they destroyed my life. I was suspended on hearsay until I proved it wasn't true. Great company if you keep off the radar.
Pros
Great benefits, Great pay
Cons
Getting injured is worse than ruining a full batch of cheese.
Very productive cheese making system involving state of the art machines
Cook II (Current Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYAugust 25, 2014
A typical day of work is changing into a uniform and putting on earplugs and hairnets, and working with 7 other people in a room. The plant in divided into rooms ,so you don't get to see many other co workers but the ones in you room ,unless you are on break . I work with 7 men all around the same age ,so we have plenty of stuff in common. The hardest thing about my job is not really anything , we cook cheese and at the end of the shift we clean and sanitize everything in the cook room. Management is not around much during my shift which starts at 3 pm. - 11pm., so really cant say much about that . The most enjoyable thing about my job is we get a couple of weeks off with our kids during summer and fall breaks .
Pros
Get 4 personnel days to do whatever you want to, get paid for your birthday along with be off
Cons
Management not around to actually talk with them
For the area the job pays good. If you want air conditioning apply elsewhere!!
Fondu (Former Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYAugust 14, 2016
Several years ago 99% of employees here loved their job. With new management it has gotten worse. I wish they would actually listen and be concerned with their employees. If you have a need or hurting, something unsafe it is difficult to get management to understand. The offices are about the only areas that have cold air. I know several areas that is like a sweatshop here. Employees shouldn't have to be hot and fatigued all day. There is good people in management that try and help I believe but they get overlooked also. Top guy doesn't have much of a personality or concerns. Job bids are not by seniority!! It is non smoking. Bel hires temporary employees now. The few good things: Company outing 1 time a year, Christmas party, birthday off, good pay for area, but no raise this year.
Pros
Pay, Birthday off, meals
Cons
Management, Poor air-conditioning, lack of advancement
World Wide food industry, interesting and competetive
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYAugust 24, 2013
I started out in the production area at Bel Brands, and was there for 7 years. During the time in which I completed the Network and Systems Degree. I then advanced to a salary position in the purchasing department. During this time there was a management change, so many other things changed, not long after I had learned a new job. The management cared about the employees and valued their opinions. The hardest part of my job was often getting supplies there in a timely manner. This could be challenging if the supplier was out of raw materials, or there was not transportation of the product when I needed it. I always looked at the situation from all angles and 99% of the time found a solution. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people get what the needed to do their job in a timely manner.
Pros
Great benefits, pay
Cons
There were always areas for imporovement as with any job
Bel Brands
Purchase Requisition intermediary (Former Employee) –  Leitchfield, KYOctober 5, 2013
Bel Brands was a wonderful place to work. The management cared about the employees, however, business dropped and jobs ended. At this time, I decided to go to nursing school and pursue a new career, that was more rewarding and available.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Jobs ending
Frequent manual work and slow technology
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2016
Not ideal when considering the other options out there especially for finance/ accounting. Steady manual work during the close, constant requests from plants.
Pros
compensation, benefits
Cons
culture, work/life balance, slow and outdated systems
Nice place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2017
The benefits are very good here. There are a lot of things that are currently in the works to better improve interaction among departments. I am not looking forward to the open office seating, I'd prefer if the office set up remained.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bel Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Bel Group Reviews by Location