Belcan Employee Reviews

Great Entry Level Job
Control Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 16, 2018
This is a great place for an entry level engineer. The other engineers are friendly and helpful.
Hours are flexible and work is interesting (at least usually).
The down sides are the pay is only OK and there is almost no opportunities for advancement (without switching employers).
I would consider staying, but I want a job in which I do not simply sit at a computer all day creating and testing software.
Pros
great work environment, flexible work hours
Cons
no career advancement, only OK benefits
Tech Services Job Mill
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2018
OK place to work. Good low level management not supported well by upper management. Required close client relationship with threats of losing contract ever present.
Pros
Kind people, good employee get-togethers, good project management
Cons
Top down management, difficulty getting needed data from client
productive
(Diversapack)-temp-Labor (Former Employee) –  Owenville,OhioApril 1, 2018
productive,some assembly little harder then others,but management alittle disrespectful on the job.But dealt with it to keep my job. The hardest part about the job was dealing with the disrespectful to the temps . The most enjoyable part was when I can learn something new quickly that made me feel proud of myself.
Pros
glad didn't have to clock out for breaks
Cons
didn't get paid for holidays, or sick days
Temporary Position
Project Document Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHMarch 29, 2018
I was in a long term - open ended contract with Belcan Engineering at Rolls-Royce Energy Systems. Being a temp job there were no benefits, no paid holidays, no 401K, no PTO. The greatest benefit was the unlimited overtime that existed for the majority of the time I was employed there.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Literally everything else
Slow
Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 20, 2018
slow with no direction, depends on which section you work. Management Varys from section to section. I’d recommend belcan for a first job to gain experience
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Pay
Friendly, Flexible, and Push you to Succeed
Draftsman/CAD Operator (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTMarch 18, 2018
A typical day at work can be stressful when communicating with customers (Pratty & Whitney, & UTAS) especially if issues spring between the customer and yourself, but managers make it clear what is expected of you when creating documents for the customer and if trouble arises. However, fellow co-workers and managers are always close by to lend you a hand should you need some help.

I've learned a lot about using the necessary tools of the trade (Teamcenter & NX), and the process that is utilized in order to do so. This has opened me up to at least understanding where in the process line Product Definition (PD) is, which is between Design, and Manufacturing. It has also fostered curiosity for the other parts of the process, more specifically design.

Management is very straightforward and to the point. If you're underperforming, it will be made known to you, and discussions take place in order to get to the root of the matter. Management also makes sure that you are given opportunities for excelling at your position, and make it known through the "Wings of Success" awards. Management also makes it very clear what is expected of them when it comes to creating content for customers, and answer questions that arise.

Workplace culture is very inclusive. Meetings happen each week with all PD employees to discuss successes, and areas for improvement. Other employees that have an impact on PD also attend so that improvements and suggestions can be brought to the table. In all, all personnel that affect PD meet in order to maximize output from all PD employees. Workplace
  more... culture is also very relaxed and friendly. Coworkers can foster friendships with each other, and also serve as mentors and guides when it comes to their knowledge and expertise.

The most difficult part of the job is when customers kick back content to Belcan. This can be the most frustrating part of the job, as miscommunication can cause issues to come up. It is common, but can be addressed through clear communication between Belcan managers, and the customer. It can be stressful in that there's no down time as well. Since there's always work that needs to be done, you're constantly on the move, and tasks can pile up very quickly if you're not able to keep up with the work load, especially if you have projects that take longer than normal. One last thing that is tough is salary. Since Belcan is a 3rd party representative, an employee would not be paid as much if they worked directly for a customer. This is pretty common place for 3rd party representatives.

Personally, I enjoy the friendly environment, and the flexible working hours. My time off the clock is extremely important to me, and having a flexible schedule means I can work the hours that best maximize my time that I can spend outside of work. This supports having a healthy lifestyle outside of work, as I feel that is extremely important. I've also come to learn that through some talks with my upper management, and have also approached management for advice outside of work (I'm looking to buy my first home soon and received great advice from my manager).
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Helpful Coworkers & Managment
Cons
Lower Salary, Extremely Fast Paced and Easy to Fall Behind
Typical day
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 18, 2018
Management is very helpful and attentive to my needs. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing I am adding value to the end user's daily activities.
Benefits
Cons
Unknowns
It didn't start out bad, but got worse as the years went on.
Systems/Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 13, 2018
It didn't start out bad, but got worse as the years went on. The management at the mid levels is ok, but higher up it got worse the longer I stayed. There is very little job satisfaction, or job security.
Contract work is not for me
Administrative Assistant At Ineos (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 13, 2018
I was told 6 months then hire, that never happened. Contract work with no benefits is not something long term. The hours are great, there is no sick time and no vacation or paid holidays.
Technically Challenging Projects
Senior Engineer/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 8, 2018
The engineering team is very advanced technically. However, the company is under new management/ownership and currently in a downward workload cycle undergoing layoffs and furloughs. They provide excellent opportunities to work on and lead technically challenging projects for top companies.
Pros
Great technical people, good computer and software resources, flexible hours
Cons
under new management, many people laid off or on rotating furloughs due to lack of work
challenge
Unigraphics NX9 Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Ohio, Indiana, IllinoisMarch 1, 2018
working hard and more focus and more challenge, enjoy the work, willing helping employee if struggle, learning. very comfortable. Feeling alike Belcan family. very good company.
Not for me
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  NCFebruary 26, 2018
I worked in the office of the agency and within 2 months of employment I realized it was not for me. Highly metrics driven (how many calls did you make today, how many submittals did you have, why is this job not covered, etc.) and micro management was very evident. There were moments that none of the workers would be on the phone and management would ask if the phones were broken. Just not the type of place that makes you feel inspired really. It was a stressful environment to me and my talent was better off somewhere else. If you like a salesy/high pressure type of place then this position is for you. If you don't like that environment, I recommend finding a job elsewhere. I respectfully resigned with a notice and have been working in a much better role with a wonderful company for quite some time; couldn't be happier!

I give this company 3 stars because I don't think the company as a whole is terrible, but my personal experience was. Doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else will feel the same way.
Pros
It taught me some new skills
Cons
There's a lot that come to mind
A Job
Warehouse Associate (Shipping and Receiving) (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCFebruary 22, 2018
A good job for the average person looking to get into manufacturing they're plenty of opportunities to learn new skill set that will advance you in your career
Its a job, not a career.
Structural Analyst / Turbine Group (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLFebruary 20, 2018
While running a new analysis of an annular brush seal I noticed it had been modeled in ANSYS as a solid ring of the base metal. My lead engineer told me that was correct because the wires were so close together it was as if solid. Support hooks on blade outer air seals had been relocated from the original design due to a Belcan analysis which put zero pressure in the labyrinth seal cavities because the "go to" analyst didn't have definitive data. The cavities divided high pressure main flow from pressurized cooling air flow. The ANSYS guru, my boss and others were surprised that thickening walls in a hollow airfoil vane (of set outer profile) lowered its fundamental torsional frequency. The list goes on. I was dismissed for being incompetent and that is something my boss should have been an expert on.

There were some great, talented engineers, but not in my chain of command.
Pros
near to beaches
Cons
only interested in billable hours, not fixing problems, lack of integrity
Belcan is a very positive place to work.
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 16, 2018
Working for Belcan has been great! I have worked as a contract engineer a total of ten years for them at Rolls-Royce on two different projects and I hope to continue working for them in the near future.
Pros
Hours and pay was great!
Cons
Belcan needs to have a new job lined up for you before your old contract expires.
Great company with excellent management
Branch Manager/ Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 15, 2018
Belcan is a great Corporation with my personal experience I had a great manager! He is a positive, educational and fun individual. I never seemed intimidated by him and I did learn a lot about work and life in general from him. Belcan as a company is excellent! They provide excellent benefits, a solid salary with uncapped commission and full benefits.
Good place to gain experience. New management since I worked there.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTFebruary 14, 2018
The company provides contract services for UTC. There is a mix of younger workers new to the industry and retirees who want to keep working so it makes for a work environment that is both challenging and yet supportive.
Pros
Collaborative and hard-working colleagues
Cons
Workload and opportunities vary
Belcan Engineering Group
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lynn, MAFebruary 9, 2018
The management at Belcan is short-sighted and complacent. They relied too heavily on one client for work, making very little attempt to diversify. When the one client decided not to use our services as much, it resulted in an 80% downsize of our office.
Pros
Low Stress
Cons
Poor compensation, Poor management
Typical staffing agency
Materials Engineer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2018
It was great working at Belcan, other than the temporary nature applicable to all staffing agencies. It was easy to get along with the boss, they were flexible on schedule. Relatively straightforward to get hired at client if job is indefinite, as long as you did a good job.
Pros
pay, flexibility, culture
Cons
temporary contract work for the most part
Good company but needs to value their senior level and experienced workers
Senior Structural Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLFebruary 1, 2018
A typical day was usually working analysis, or discussing analysis. There were not too many meetings, but that also depends on your task(s).

I gained additional structural analysis experience while at Belcan.

The management was so/so. Usually "reactive" and not "pro-active".

The workplace culture is typically pretty relaxed and almost "fun" at times. Again, depends on which manager you get.

Hardest Part of the job was keeping up with all of the various skillsets that are expected of one as a structures engineer.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the coworkers and the flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Good people to work with
Cons
Pay for experienced engineers is not competitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belcan. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.2Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight